Victoria and Alberts Recent Trip

I have been to all of those restaurants and even the French Laundry, multiple Joel Roubuchon locations, le cirque, madison park ave, and a bunch of Michelin stars in Chicago and feel the price of V&A is correct. However, in the past (pre-covid) it was an unreal cheap bargain. In fact, I will state V&A is superior to the French Laundry in many aspects, but also falls short on some aspects.

I do believe, with time, V&A will first earn 2-stars and then finally 3-stars as for all practical purposes, it has only been open for 5 months and is still evolving.
I'm very curious to hear your comparisons. I've not been to French Laundry but it's on my bucket list. Have done V&A a couple of times pre-pandemic - and loved it.

“Madison park ave” — lol.

Correction....Eleven Madison Park....I guess the change of menu to all plant based made me mentally put it on the do not book again list. That said, I did enjoy the meal (pre covid) before they went all plant based, but felt like eating in the middle of a bank lobby. Service was amazing and I do think the bar is cool (probably a better option now).

I'm very curious to hear your comparisons. I've not been to French Laundry but it's on my bucket list. Have done V&A a couple of times pre-pandemic - and loved it.

Well, I think Thomas Keller is one of the best chefs in the world and I have been to most all of his restaurants (Cal, NY, Las Vegas, Florida) and will gladly return to any of his restaurants ( I am sad to see TAK at Hudson Yards is closed).

I have been to The French Laundry three times and think it is great, but I probably wont return as it seems less impressive now vs in the past. Its hard to state why I feel that way, but the cost vs benefit is no longer there for me (about $1,000 per person with wine). I MUCH prefer Bouchon, Ad Hoc, Surf Club over TFL. However, TFL is a Michelin 3 star bucket list restaurant so I would never tell anyone not to go there. TFL is a super special place, but there are Michelin 2 stars that are just as good like The Addison in San Diego.

I vividly remember that after my first visit to TFL (around 2018 or so) I really enjoyed the experience, but thought V&A was better (I am a huge Disney fan) and when you consider the pre-covid pricing, there was no comparison that V&A was significantly better value. But with the new V&A price that rivals THF, they are about the same cost. That said, I still prefer V&A over TFL, but have to admit that there is a certain intangible factor that TFL has over V&A and I think it boils down to service experience and TFL is fully evolved and V&A is still changing and seeking their way. I also think the stand alone restaurant of TFL with outdoor seating options is a superior ambiance to V&A tucked away on the second level of a hotel that is next to Citricos and that is hard to change.

Look, I really love V&A and it is my opinion that they are currently operating at a Michelin 2 star level and are not quite at a Michelin 3 star level yet, however, I am confident that they can hit that mark in a few years. I have been to V&A at least 5 times (3 precovid and 2 postcovid) and will gladly return. Postcovid, I am completely blown away by the zero proof drink parring at V&A and highly recommend that over the wine parring as it is so unique and adds a unique twist to each dish that is unlike any other restaurant I have ever dined at.

If you loved V&A, then you will love TFL or Per Se, and please check out Thomas Kellers other restaurants as they all are good and less pretentious and reasonable priced.

Last edited:
Correction....Eleven Madison Park....I guess the change of menu to all plant based made me mentally put it on the do not book again list. That said, I did enjoy the meal (pre covid) before they went all plant based, but felt like eating in the middle of a bank lobby. Service was amazing and I do think the bar is cool (probably a better option now).

Well, I think Thomas Keller is one of the best chefs in the world and I have been to most all of his restaurants (Cal, NY, Las Vegas, Florida) and will gladly return to any of his restaurants ( I am sad to see TAK at Hudson Yards is closed).

I have been to The French Laundry three times and think it is great, but I probably wont return as it seems less impressive now vs in the past. Its hard to state why I feel that way, but the cost vs benefit is no longer there for me (about $1,000 per person with wine). I MUCH prefer Bouchon, Ad Hoc, Surf Club over TFL. However, TFL is a Michelin 3 star bucket list restaurant so I would never tell anyone not to go there. TFL is a super special place, but there are Michelin 2 stars that are just as good like The Addison in San Diego.

I vividly remember that after my first visit to TFL (around 2018 or so) I really enjoyed the experience, but thought V&A was better (I am a huge Disney fan) and when you consider the pre-covid pricing, there was no comparison that V&A was significantly better value. But with the new V&A price that rivals THF, they are about the same cost. That said, I still prefer V&A over TFL, but have to admit that there is a certain intangible factor that TFL has over V&A and I think it boils down to service experience and TFL is fully evolved and V&A is still changing and seeking their way. I also think the stand alone restaurant of TFL with outdoor seating options is a superior ambiance to V&A tucked away on the second level of a hotel that is next to Citricos and that is hard to change.

Look, I really love V&A and it is my opinion that they are currently operating at a Michelin 2 star level and are not quite at a Michelin 3 star level yet, however, I am confident that they can hit that mark in a few years. I have been to V&A at least 5 times (3 precovid and 2 postcovid) and will gladly return. Postcovid, I am completely blown away by the zero proof drink parring at V&A and highly recommend that over the wine parring as it is so unique and adds a unique twist to each dish that is unlike any other restaurant I have ever dined at.

If you loved V&A, then you will love TFL or Per Se, and please check out Thomas Kellers other restaurants as they all are good and less pretentious and reasonable priced.
EMP pre vegan menu was amazing. It’s off my list too now, unfortunately. I was getting emails from them about last minute NYE reservations from them - so I wonder if they are not considering a change back. Fingers crossed. Also the Pete Wells review of the vegan menu is hilarious.

Through a fluke I dined at V&A and Per Se this summer. The service was beyond excellent at both. But the overall experience was superior at Per Se - so I agree with your 2 star assessment. They gave Capa (an excellent restaurant, no doubt) a star and that is not even close to the level of V&A - so no reason to believe they wouldn’t recognize V&A with 2.

V&A has really just reopened so not even fair to judge at this point. I have not dined at Le Bernardin in years - but I feel like V&A is comparable to them in terms of food style and formality from what I remember. I know they have plans to upgrade the tables and chairs and maybe just turn down the lights a tiny bit - b/c the ambiance is ever so slightly off IMO. I feel like with the Michelin guide now reviewing them they are looking to level up.

With the Covid era and kids we had not really been to a true fine dining restaurant in years before this summer - so it was so nice to see what V&A presented - you truly can’t believe you are at Disney.

Given our conversation in this thread, thought that some of you might be interested in the below article.

Noma, Rated the World’s Best Restaurant, Is Closing Its Doors

The Copenhagen chef René Redzepi says fine dining at the highest level, with its grueling hours and intense workplace culture, has hit a breaking point: “It’s unsustainable.”

Mr. Redzepi, who has long acknowledged that grueling hours are required to produce the restaurant’s cuisine, said that the math of compensating nearly 100 employees fairly, while maintaining high standards, at prices that the market will bear, is not workable.

“We have to completely rethink the industry,” he said. “This is simply too hard, and we have to work in a different way.”

We're going at the end of January, and very excited about it! Was a little worried about the added expense of the wine pairing but plenty of reviewers have said it was worth it so we figure...why not?

Has anyone had trouble with a reservation when someone in your party was unable to make it? We made a reservation for three, but our third's schedule just changed (he's in the area for work and they switched up his schedule, whereas we're there for vacation). Obviously trying to use Disney's online system to change the res is going to be next to impossible. I'm guessing our best bet is to call Guest Services?

We're going at the end of January, and very excited about it! Was a little worried about the added expense of the wine pairing but plenty of reviewers have said it was worth it so we figure...why not?
If I go back, I'm splitting the wine pairing. We were told "it's about two and half glasses of wine," but it seemed like way more than that. I didn't finish that last couple pouring's.

Through a fluke I dined at V&A and Per Se this summer. The service was beyond excellent at both. But the overall experience was superior at Per Se - so I agree with your 2 star assessment. They gave Capa (an excellent restaurant, no doubt) a star and that is not even close to the level of V&A - so no reason to believe they wouldn’t recognize V&A with 2.

V&A has really just reopened so not even fair to judge at this point..

I also dined at Capa (Michelin 1 star at the four seasons disney) and honestly, I was underwhelmed as perhaps it was due to a loud family and teenage party in the not-so private room, and several other guests in the dining room wearing shorts, and several couples with very young children etc. and I would not be surprised if someone will try to bring their emotional animal with them. However, the outdoor patio for drinks and photos is awesome. The food and service was good, but no where near V&A, thus that is why I gave V&A 2 stars. Also, V&A is NOT perfect (yet) and seems to going thru an evolution to find the perfect balance and rhythm of TFL or other 3 stars.

Has anyone had trouble with a reservation when someone in your party was unable to make it? We made a reservation for three, but our third's schedule just changed (he's in the area for work and they switched up his schedule, whereas we're there for vacation). Obviously trying to use Disney's online system to change the res is going to be next to impossible. I'm guessing our best bet is to call Guest Services?

The problem with the wine parring is that it is a lot of alcohol and I personally get a little hammered with drinking that much. Sure, I could drink half and that probably is the way to go to share the parring. As I said before, if you want an elevated and very cool experience, try the zero proof drink parring as it is awesome and really adds to the experience.

Also, if you switch from 3 to 2 guests, you should call them ASAP so they will not be surprised and give them at least a week or two heads up and just dont show up unannounced as they are preparing for 3 guests.

Thanks @DVC Doctor and @supersnoop for the advice on the wine pairing. I was worried that splitting a single wine pairing might be frowned upon--I'm very much a lightweight who gets comfortably drunk off of a single glass of wine.

Have you tried the modify reservation to lower the number? I just did that when I found a reservation available. Was for 5 and modified it to 2 with no issue

Have you tried the modify reservation to lower the number? I just did that when I found a reservation available. Was for 5 and modified it to 2 with no issue
Tried to change to two. It acts like I can (shows the time available when try to change for two) but on the next screen shows three guest icons and will not let me drop one.

Tried to change to two. It acts like I can (shows the time available when try to change for two) but on the next screen shows three guest icons and will not let me drop one.
Weird. Maybe try a web browser instead of the app. Are you within 5 days of your reservation?

Nope, tried to do it on the app, on the web, nothing. Reservation is early February.
I would call the restaurant, they should be able to help. Are you in the main dining room or queen Victoria room? I heard the QR was only allowing larger parties so that might be the problem?

Delighted to learn that our mutual fave :) was as wonderful as ever.

We can't wait to go back!

I'm just hoping I'll like the new color scheme better when I see it myself than I do watching videos. All that white-n-brite doesn't suggest the Victorian Era much at all for me.
I didn't love love the decor- and I much preferred the darker one... however it isnt done yet and it is beautiful in its own rite. I feel like its leaning more towards other higher end restaurants outside of disney, but still has sweet disney touches.

I would call the restaurant, they should be able to help. Are you in the main dining room or queen Victoria room? I heard the QR was only allowing larger parties so that might be the problem?
Main Dining, no luck with the QR (but main dining is fine for us!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter