• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Victoria & Jacks PJ - WP/WR/SC - April 5th 2011 - Update 01/09

Hey Vic!

The dress will be fab, I can't wait to order mine either! I think I'll be ordering Sept-Dec.

My parents are paying for the Disney portion and my dress. They also wanted to pay for photography and videography, but I feel they're spending enough already and they need to come to Florida as well, so we're paying for everything else. Oh, except for flights! DF's parents are kindly paying for our flights as a wedding gift so we're extremely fortunate in that sense :)

I think things are different in the US then the UK, here the BM's pay for their own dresses and I have been learning on here that in the UK the bride pays for them as a gift? Is that right? So I can't help to much with the whole who pays for what issue sorry Torse! BUT, my dad bought me my dress which was awesome of him to do :)

Also, I dont think you are buying it too early, as long as you love it, it is just one more thing to cross ofd that wedding TO-DO list :thumbsup2

AFAIK the bride pays for the bridesmaid dresses - I paid for my bridesmaids, and I've been in 3 weddings as a bridesmaid and the bride paid for the dresses in all of them :)

oh gosh well it looks like my family got away easily. They have offered to pay for .... ummm NOTHING. My dad & stepmums excuse was that they are already having to pay to go to orlando and guess what... he went a got a smart sports car on thursday. Typical. I cannot expect my mum to pay for anything as she does not work and will struggle to pay to go out to orlando but we knew that way before hand.

Waynes mum wants to help us out so badly with money but we keep saying no as no one else is contributing (like my rich dad!) and now she is going to ask his Dad to give us some money towards it which if he agrees, it will help a lot. But the way it goes now, we are having to save up real tight because we are paying for absolutely everything at the moment. Crappy i know but that life.

I think traditions of who pays for what is totally out of the window in 'this day and age' (i sound old!!??). I think that will be SO lovely to pay for your mum and dad for a room, that is really thoughtful after all their help.

But like you said, until it comes around to paying for things... heh!

Love, love LOVE the dress you have picked!

Congrats on finding your dress. Victoriana is beautiful! I think it looks best in Ivory too. Isn't it funny how many Disbrides are also Maggie Brides? We should get some type of discount!

I was a Maggie bride!!! Defo the best!;)

Awww, thanks Sam.

I think about the dress all the time. But really don't want to buy it this far out from the wedding, as I have a couple of dress sizes to lose that I put on with my surgery earlier in the year that I definitely want rid of before the wedding.

Also I figure if I buy it in March then I can pay in full the day I get it, rather than just put a deposit, which might mean I can get a better deal on it. As my Mum and I keep saying though I'd MUCH rather have the dress I love full price than anything else with a discount, so I'm going to make sure I have the full amount ready, and anything off it will just be a nice bonus. :)

Also, my friend told me it's customary for your Mum to pay for your dress? I know that really the parents of the bride normally pay the majority, but I figured as mine are paying the entire Disney bill and probably our flights, then it's only fair that I pay for my own dress, and BM dresses. (We're paying for our photographers and hotel too. And I think I'll pay for my Mum and Mad to have a night GF CL the days before and after the wedding too, as I will be using it to get ready I imagine.)

How did you guys split what you and your families paid for?

All I can say is don't leave it too late to order the dress . . . I ordered mine a whole year before the wedding - they told me it would take 3-4 months to come. After 7 months it finally arrived and had faults (some beading missing, and a stain on it) so they had to get me another one made. It finally arrived less than two weeks before the wedding, and we really had to rush to get alterations done. I was in such a state before it arrived, Tony was having to call the shop to chase it, because I kept breaking down every time I spoke to them!!!!

I'm not sure about who pays for what . . . sadly both of our families were less than helpful in that area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great choice on the dress. And for any of us brides who have parents helping pay, we are definitely lucky! My parents are planning on paying for most of the wedding and I'm so grateful. Df's parents are not as well off, but they've offered to pay for our cake (or at least match what they paid for Df's brother ($500- so that should work for a mad hatter) and pay for part of the rehearsal dinner since they paid for 1/2 of DF's brother...which was a pizza place. We think my grandmother will pay for my dress. She bought my bat mitzvah dress and thinks it will be sentimental for her to pay for the wedding dress. Of course we bought it way before we'd ask, so currently I've paid for it.

And I think I'm going to follow the UK tradition of paying for the BM dresses. I don't want to buy an extra present and I think I'll at least pay $100 towards the dress. I figure that's a better present than jewelry or a purse.

LOVE the dress Torsie!!!! It's even basically named after you:goodvibes I would maybe ask now if there's a discount for paying in full when you order... if not you might as well order now:confused3 It does take A LONG TIME for some of these dresses to come in- I've been told 6 months for mine. Also you never know when the designer is going to decide to stop production on a certain dress:scared1:

The list of what is traditional for everyone to pay for is really interesting... the US is definately a little different, as Sam said bridesmaids and groomsmen pay for their own attire... but I think the UK tradition is really nice but hard on the budget:lmao: In the US the groom's parents also traditionally pay for the rehearsal dinner and for the alcohol at the wedding... but like Stacey said anything goes "these days":lmao: We are paying for our entire wedding and for our at home reception. DF's parents have offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner at the HDDR:banana: and my parents have offered to pay for... nothing:confused: I'm just happy they'll be able to come- I think you just have to work out what works for you and your families!

Thanks for your replies everyone. :goodvibes:

I did ask about the design staying in stock, and the lady in the shop said it's a very popular dress so she would be very surprised if they stopped production, but she told me to ring in evey month and double check, as they get two months notice if one is going to be stopped.

To be honest I'd be very surprised if I don't get some benefit from paying in full, so I would rather wait. And (I don't know if this is right or wrong of me) once I was in th shop this time I jsut didn't feel right asking about discounts etc. as everyone there knew I wasn't buying that day anyway, so I didn't want to be the girlhaggling on something I wasn;t going to buy. I figure the day we go in with the money, we'll be in a much stronger position. They'll know I've already been in and love the dress and am serious, so together we might be able to do something.

But, like I said, I'd much rather have Victoriana full price than save a few £100 and not hae my favourite dress. So I will just save the right amount and then wait and see. :) With WDW so clsoe putting the 50% deposit down now would do a bit of damage to my spending money too, so another reason to wait. ;)

I didn't konw that in America the bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. I couldn't do that in my situation as my 2 BMs are sisters, one at University and one still in school, and their parents are already paying to come to the wedding, so I don't want to add extra expense on for them!

If I was having a UK wedding though I would maybe consider askig them to pay towards dresses if I was having a lot of BMs though, so it seems a good idea.

I've heard a lot of UK brides and grooms are now following the USA tradition and asking their BMs and GMs to pay for their outfits but I think it is still on the rare side.

Its nice to have a warning....2 of the grooms 'men' (one is a girl...) are from the UK. I didn't know that it wasn't a done thing to have them pay for your outfits. should be a nice surprise when we tell them THAT!

Good luck on your dress i'm sure everything will be fine with it!

good luck with your dress. I'm doing something similar. I put down the deposit but we're not going to order it until early December. I'm going to call every month and check in just in case. My parents are buying my dress, but I hadn't planned on that at all and I was expecting to buy it myself. So you never know.

Basically with costs these days it's anything goes. We are paying for our wedding, but some people's parents do pay and sometimes both families chip in.

Hey guys!!

Hello from AKL!!

We just had our meeting with Kristi this morning!!

Oh my goodness, it was the most awesome time. All the locations were amazing, the Pavillion was the most magical, beautiful place. I cannot wait to get married there, and cannot imagine any way it could be more perfect.

I will fill you guys in properly once I'm home and have more time. But we are loving WDW so much!!

Hey guys!!

Hello from AKL!!

We just had our meeting with Kristi this morning!!

Oh my goodness, it was the most awesome time. All the locations were amazing, the Pavillion was the most magical, beautiful place. I cannot wait to get married there, and cannot imagine any way it could be more perfect.

I will fill you guys in properly once I'm home and have more time. But we are loving WDW so much!!

Isn't the pavilion amazing?!?! We tried stopping by yesterday but there was a rehearsal going on. So glad you are having a good time!!

We also had our engagement session with the Roots last night. :) It rained for the forst time our whole trip, but we had such a blast adn they are two of the nicest people ever!

I can't wait to see our pictures! And to have them for our big day, it's going to be so fun! I just love how in the last day it feels like all of our wedding has come together and I'm so postive and excited for it!

Glad you're having such a great time! Aren't the Roots so awesome! They are seriously some of the nicest people I have ever met, and I know your pics will turn out awesome!

Oh your pictures are beautiful!! I just love anything Roots does. And am super jealous as we are still waiting for ours!! Can't wait to see more though!

Yay for more Roots pics! The pics are beautiful! I love the top of the wall ones, we did a bunch like that too and they are some of my favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter