• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Video of false alarm on the Wonder

Oh I’m sure dcl has the muster info stored on the magic band - but in case of an emergency - how do they access it ?
My guess but it’s just a guess - they have mobile scanners that read the info. Just like when cast members scan our cards at musters.
Still, I wonder how efficient that is if there are 100 kids at the kids club.
Royal Caribbean told us at boarding - if the emergency alarm goes off and our son is not with us, do not look for him but rather proceed to the muster station. He will be brought to us.
I don’t actually know what happens on dcl.
Hope we don’t have to find out either, but curious.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them with mobile scanners, but I really don't know what the current policy is for muster - our DD was only in the clubs for 1 cruise after the magic bands were introduced, and at the same time was in the Edge, so had sign-out privileges. Since then she has been in the Edge/Vibe age group, so we have had to trust her to make her own way to muster.

In any catastrophe there’s always going to be people taking video. Honestly I think it’s a good thing. If it wasn’t for this video we wouldn’t have any idea what would really happen in this situation. Don’t we all wish there was video from the Titanic.

Here I found a video in English and Spanish of the assembly drill on Disney Cruiseline.

Disney’s inroom safety video

In any catastrophe there’s always going to be people taking video. Honestly I think it’s a good thing. If it wasn’t for this video we wouldn’t have any idea what would really happen in this situation. Don’t we all wish there was video from the Titanic.
Uhhh...No... it was enough watching the movie. Horror.
There are some videos on YouTube of the Concordia tragedy- honesty I couldn't watch without crying, can't imagine how the families of those involved feel.
You are right though- someone is always filming. It's just human nature. This person happened to be filming when the alarm came on, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt she wouldn't have started to film otherwise.
I'm sure if this is posted on YouTube she will get lots of negative feedback and realize... hey should have stopped filming much earlier than I did....

There are some videos on YouTube of the Concordia tragedy- honesty I couldn't watch without crying, can't imagine how the families of those involved feel.
You are right though- someone is always filming. It's just human nature. This person happened to be filming when the alarm came on, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt she wouldn't have started to film otherwise.
I'm sure if this is posted on YouTube she will get lots of negative feedback and realize... hey should have stopped filming much earlier than I did....

I don't have as much of an issue that she was filming as that she was wandering around saying she didn't know what she was supposed to do. Since she obviously paid zero attention to Muster Drill, at the very least she could have asked someone what she should do rather than just wander saying "I don't know what's going on".

Perhaps she should pay more attention to real life in the future - especially when safety things like Muster Drill are going on. No, it's not as fascinating as anything else that can go on, but it could be the difference between life and death - for her AND for others. (And yes, I do find my nearest emergency exit on planes and I do still pay attention to the safety presentation on airplanes - no matter how many times I fly. And Muster no matter how many times I cruise.)

Without people videoing and reporting we would never know what happened. We wouldn't even be having this discussion. Without video you only have peoples memories to depend on which are most of the time inaccurate.

Without people videoing and reporting we would never know what happened. We wouldn't even be having this discussion. Without video you only have peoples memories to depend on which are most of the time inaccurate.
Yes video but not everything should be shared on YouTube. Not talking about this particular one though...

I don't have as much of an issue that she was filming as that she was wandering around saying she didn't know what she was supposed to do. Since she obviously paid zero attention to Muster Drill, at the very least she could have asked someone what she should do rather than just wander saying "I don't know what's going on".

Perhaps she should pay more attention to real life in the future - especially when safety things like Muster Drill are going on. No, it's not as fascinating as anything else that can go on, but it could be the difference between life and death - for her AND for others. (And yes, I do find my nearest emergency exit on planes and I do still pay attention to the safety presentation on airplanes - no matter how many times I fly. And Muster no matter how many times I cruise.)
Totally. It shocks me every time we fly how many don't pay attention to the safety demonstration....

People don't pay attention because they've seen it a thousand times. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to know where the exit rows are. I think you need to give people more credit. We're not 5 year olds. Usually when there's any kind of emergency on a flight it's the passengers who are the ones that step up and help out. It doesn't matter if it's an unruly passenger, a medical emergency or an emergency landing people are there to help. If they plane crashes there usually no survivors to worry about exit rows.

There's been so few cruise ship accidents. It's impossible to know if the plans they even have in place would work. When the ships are rough they close deck 4. Are you going to send everyone out to deck 4 muster stations if the seas are raging? Or what if the ship is listing really bad? Do you still go out to deck 4? Do they have a back up plan for that? If so they've never shared it. Thankfully ships don't sink. I have a feeling it would be a hot mess just like the Titanic.

I was on that cruise last week. I was walking down to my stateroom from quiet cove to get more beer for the wife and I. It went off as I was on deck 5 and all the crew members sprung into action. I asked a few if I heard that right and they all were unsure. Got To my stateroom grabbed my jacket put on shoes and grabbed my wife’s shoes jacket and our life preservers and right when I was about to leave it was called a false alarm. I headed back to the pool where my wife and everyone else had no clue or care that the alarm went off. I wasn’t really to worried as I could see the coast of Mexico off the port side.

Anyone know what's going on with the Disney Wonder right now. They're pretty close to Hurricane Willa, I think they were supposed to go to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow but I doubt thats happening. Surprised there's no updates announced. We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to cancel earlier this year.

Anyone know what's going on with the Disney Wonder right now. They're pretty close to Hurricane Willa, I think they were supposed to go to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow but I doubt thats happening. Surprised there's no updates announced. We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to cancel earlier this year.

It was announced before this cruise embarked that they were rerouting and skipping Puerto Vallarta. At that point it was because of Vincente.

Do you still go out to deck 4? Do they have a back up plan for that? If so they've never shared it.

Maybe not share it, but they don’t hide it either. On crew drills you will often hear muster stations A,B,C relocated to X,Y,Z - usually a bar or lounge inside somewhere...

Interesting. I don’t have kids, but this is one area Royal exceeds Disney. All kids (under 12 I think) have a color-coded wrist band put on them that corresponds to their Muster Station so that they can easily be taken or directed to their station by any crew.

I totally agree, having worked both. If something happens on DCL and your kids in the club, good luck, it’s going to be a mess. (Also on DCL no other departments have a clue about the kids club evac)
On royal, you’re going to be reunited with your kids at your muster station within a few minutes. If your kid isn’t in the club and gets separated from you, and they have their mandatory band on (11 and under) every crew member knows what their bands means and are trained and practised (every drill) in getting them to their muster station.
Also on royal on the first night and first sea day, all the kids checked in so their own drill so they know what to do and where to go in the club.

Oh I’m sure dcl has the muster info stored on the magic band - but in case of an emergency - how do they access it ?
My guess but it’s just a guess - they have mobile scanners that read the info. Just like when cast members scan our cards at musters.
Still, I wonder how efficient that is if there are 100 kids at the kids club.
Royal Caribbean told us at boarding - if the emergency alarm goes off and our son is not with us, do not look for him but rather proceed to the muster station. He will be brought to us.
I don’t actually know what happens on dcl.
Hope we don’t have to find out either, but curious.

It isn’t. Or at least it wasn’t in the theee years I worked there. I wouldn’t have know what muster station a kid was in unless they told me or had their card. I didn’t need to, as I said in an earlier post, it’s not in the emergency plan to take kids to their muster station.
They have scanners to scan their band in the club, but it’s more to get a kids name or age or any allergies or extra needs. In an emergency they’ll scan them to get their last name to prepare for parents to pick up, but that’s about it...
I poster earlier what happens on DCL if your interested. But I believe that Royals way would be much more effective if it were ever needed, hopefully not.

They are taking a more westerly route and skipping Puerto Vallarta. I looked up their location last night and you could see that they swung out to the west. They're just SSE of Isla Socorro right now, with Hurricane Willa to their east. I imagine it's a bit bumpy onboard, though, as we had a bumpy ride from NYC to Bermuda a couple of weeks ago while TS Leslie was wandering around the Atlantic just east of Bermuda.

It isn’t. Or at least it wasn’t in the theee years I worked there. I wouldn’t have know what muster station a kid was in unless they told me or had their card. I didn’t need to, as I said in an earlier post, it’s not in the emergency plan to take kids to their muster station.
They have scanners to scan their band in the club, but it’s more to get a kids name or age or any allergies or extra needs. In an emergency they’ll scan them to get their last name to prepare for parents to pick up, but that’s about it...
I poster earlier what happens on DCL if your interested. But I believe that Royals way would be much more effective if it were ever needed, hopefully not.
Oops totally missed that part.
Doesn’t sound that efficient, you’re right.
Panicked parents running to kids clubs...
Thankfully the likelihood of that kind of emergency is very unlikely.
At least I hope.

People don't pay attention because they've seen it a thousand times. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to know where the exit rows are. I think you need to give people more credit. We're not 5 year olds. Usually when there's any kind of emergency on a flight it's the passengers who are the ones that step up and help out. It doesn't matter if it's an unruly passenger, a medical emergency or an emergency landing people are there to help. If they plane crashes there usually no survivors to worry about exit rows.

And yet, in an emergency on a plane, people rush to the front exit even when they are sitting in the rear and then they stop to grab their carry on bag. Or put on their oxygen mask incorrectly. All of which has been seen in Youtube videos.
People are given too much credit. Maybe some need to hear something 1001 times before it is second nature. I am required to complete training on skills I have performed thousands of times and will continue to do so as it makes me even more confident. Crew members on ships drill over and over again to perform like a well oiled machine. I think practice makes perfect.

It never occurred to me to discuss the Muster with my kids before letting them go to the clubs, but I think I will do that next time. They are teens and should know what to do, but it's my responsibility to make sure, as a family, we know what to do and how we will reunite with each other.

And yet, in an emergency on a plane, people rush to the front exit even when they are sitting in the rear and then they stop to grab their carry on bag. Or put on their oxygen mask incorrectly. All of which has been seen in Youtube videos.
People are given too much credit. Maybe some need to hear something 1001 times before it is second nature. I am required to complete training on skills I have performed thousands of times and will continue to do so as it makes me even more confident. Crew members on ships drill over and over again to perform like a well oiled machine. I think practice makes perfect.
True but have they ever evacuated a whole ship. Do they practice lowering the life boats in bad weather? As far as I know a cruise ship has never been fully evacuated at sea. No one really knows how it will turn out. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have drills, but I’m not that confident things would go well in a real life emergency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter