Villas at wilderness lodge remodel

I've been reading this post with extreme interest since we just bought a contract at VWL, and while we will be traveling this summer, we were unable to book anything at our home resort...is it possible to tour the property while we are there even though we are not staying there? I sure hope we like it! Our first trip "home" is already booked for Christmas...my favorite time of year to go to Disney and VWL does the Christmas theme best (at least in my humble opinion) :)

Yes, as long as there is a room empty to show you. Go to the check-in desk in the main lodge (obviously not during a peak check-in time) and one of the staff there will walk you over and show you around a room that's vacant.

Before we purchased (also at VWL), we used half a day of a cash trip to drive around and walk through rooms or models of everything on property, except BLT. We felt like the BLT point chart was too steep relative to the other properties at the time. Now, it's a bargain when compared to VGF!

There are folks here who wisely suggest you should stay everywhere you think you might want to own before purchase. Since we really didn't have a strong preference, that would have taken several years and a whole lot of money. So seeing everything in person seemed like a good idea. It was-VWL really wasn't a property we were looking at, until we toured there while considering DVC purchase.

Yes, as long as there is a room empty to show you. Go to the check-in desk in the main lodge (obviously not during a peak check-in time) and one of the staff there will walk you over and show you around a room that's vacant.

Before we purchased (also at VWL), we used half a day of a cash trip to drive around and walk through rooms or models of everything on property, except BLT. We felt like the BLT point chart was too steep relative to the other properties at the time. Now, it's a bargain when compared to VGF!

There are folks here who wisely suggest you should stay everywhere you think you might want to own before purchase. Since we really didn't have a strong preference, that would have taken several years and a whole lot of money. So seeing everything in person seemed like a good idea. It was-VWL really wasn't a property we were looking at, until we toured there while considering DVC purchase.

Thanks! For the past 5 years I have had a couple very good friends talk about how much they love DVC so I've always been interested and have been working on DH for a few years now...I would have loved to have toured every property before purchasing but DH was finally "on board" with purchasing a few months ago so I figured I better take advantage of that ;) We have been to Disney many, many times but have always stayed offsite because we've had access to timeshare rentals through DH's work...but that access is becoming more limited. Anyway, we have visited just about every Disney resort, meandering around and eating at the resort restaurants to get a feel for each one. But, one the resort we always go back to is the Wilderness Lodge because we love the feel of it, and since we almost always go at Christmas it just feels cozy and festive to us. So that's how we chose VWL...we are all excited about staying there as well as trying out the other resorts at WDW. This summer we were unable to get our home resort but will be spending a few nights at BWV, BLT, and AKV. :thumbsup2 Then this Christmas we're going to be at VWL for the week of Christmas! :cool1:

We are going to WDW again this June and staying in a two bedroom at VWL. :dance3:
I'll get some pictures then and post them if no one does before.
If you have pictures of the remodel PLEASE post them soon. :thumbsup2

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom last month. Love the new duvet and happy the old bedspreads are gone. Also liked the new appliances and wood floor. I also do not miss the ugly couch and dated red plaid curtains.

We have owned at VWL since 2001. Seeing that old decor year after year made me feel like I was living in a house that hadn't been updated in 15 years. It was time for a change!

The only complaint we had was that the paint job in the kitchen was so shoddy, it will need to be redone almost immediately. The paint was already dinged and chipped. The old hunter green was showing through. It was as if they did not rough up the paint before applying the off white, and the shiny surface is not holding the new paint. Also the inside of the cabinets are still green!

Took a few pictures of the fabrics up close but none of the rooms. The fabrics are a lot nicer in person than the pictures posted so far. Will try to post them once I get on a computer.

Also the Frigs in the studio are just that frigs, no small freezer section. They are also quite a bit smaller too

Also the Frigs in the studio are just that frigs, no small freezer section. They are also quite a bit smaller too

Freezer I can live without. But how much smaller are we talking for the fridge? Can it still hold 2 1/2 gallon containers and a shelf of misc. groceries?

We might have to start a fridge swap if not.

Thanks for all the information--I just booked a deluxe studio at VWL for Aug trip using BB offer. I was excited it has room for 5 in case DH decides to join us and I am hoping to buy DVC next year so I want to stay at as many DVCs as possible :). Is the murphy bed for the 5th person in the studio? For some reason I thought there was a sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper bed in addition to the queen bed in the studios for 5? TIA!!

Thanks for all the information--I just booked a deluxe studio at VWL for Aug trip using BB offer. I was excited it has room for 5 in case DH decides to join us and I am hoping to buy DVC next year so I want to stay at as many DVCs as possible :). Is the murphy bed for the 5th person in the studio? For some reason I thought there was a sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper bed in addition to the queen bed in the studios for 5? TIA!!

The studios for 5: VGF and VWL- are a sleeper sofa and a Murphy bed.

The one bedrooms for 5: VGF- sleeper sofa and Murphy bed. AKL, BLT, OKW: sleeper sofa and sleeper chair (twin bed). Most other one bedrooms can accommodate a fifth on the floor but do not provide bedding themselves for that fifth person.

Hope this helps.

The one bedrooms for 5: VGF- sleeper sofa and Murphy bed. AKL, BLT, OKW: sleeper sofa and sleeper chair (twin bed). Most other one bedrooms can accommodate a fifth on the floor but do not provide bedding themselves for that fifth person.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! We were just at AKV so I was thinking sleeper chair like they have in the BRs there LOL. Wishful thinking! We are excited to go to VWL!

So if you're staying in a studio at VWL and want ice, you have to go out to the nearest ice machine. Also, I have no place to keep my ice pack for my back frozen. Some of us miss the freezer section-thanks for letting us know.

If someone can tell me how to post a picture I will post one of my friend laying on the new murphy bed in the studio.

Hope this helps.

Last I knew, the studios at VWL only slept 4 people. Is this a recent change that is part of the rennovation (adding the murphy bed)?

If someone can tell me how to post a picture I will post one of my friend laying on the new murphy bed in the studio.

First you have to have the picture saved on a hosted site such as photobucket or flickr. From whatever site you choose you want to copy the link to the picture and then to insert it into your post here select the small yellow and gray icon in the format row in your reply (kind of looks like gray mountains on a yellow postcard) and copy that link into the pop up box.

Hoping to see the remodel. We have friends staying there soon while we are at the bc. We will try to get over to take a look

Last I knew, the studios at VWL only slept 4 people. Is this a recent change that is part of the rennovation (adding the murphy bed)?

I don't think DVC has officially changed the number of guests at VWL. Perhaps when the remodel of the studios is complete it will be announced.

Thank you for this information. We are looking to stay there in June 2015. I am disappointed in the report re workmanship but excited about the Murphy bed.

I don't think DVC has officially changed the number of guests at VWL. Perhaps when the remodel of the studios is complete it will be announced.

I was able to book a studio for July for 5 both through DVC and through the regular cash system. The DVC site still officially says 4, but will accept 5.

Just stayed @ VWL and found the workmanship of the remodel terrible. Things we saw: A hole (approx. 5 inches) to the left of kitchen sink right above the floor. An "unfinished" area (not sure what happened there) to the right of the fridge towards the floor. The fridge isn't up against the wall all the way (a big gap) but if you push back the fridge to where it's supposed to be, you can't open the fridge door. Missing pieces to kitchen sink fixtures. Two small holes in wall near bathroom mirror. Mix-matched bathroom fixtures. They put in chrome fixtures in bathroom but left some of the bronze ones. Looks so bad. Chrome does not go with the theme of VWL and to keep some of the bronze with the new, just terrible. And, as others posted, the paint job in the kitchen. Left all the green inside the cabinets. If it were my house and I hired someone to do this work, they would not get paid. Very disappointed.

Just stayed @ VWL and found the workmanship of the remodel terrible. Things we saw: A hole (approx. 5 inches) to the left of kitchen sink right above the floor. An "unfinished" area (not sure what happened there) to the right of the fridge towards the floor. The fridge isn't up against the wall all the way (a big gap) but if you push back the fridge to where it's supposed to be, you can't open the fridge door. Missing pieces to kitchen sink fixtures. Two small holes in wall near bathroom mirror. Mix-matched bathroom fixtures. They put in chrome fixtures in bathroom but left some of the bronze ones. Looks so bad. Chrome does not go with the theme of VWL and to keep some of the bronze with the new, just terrible. And, as others posted, the paint job in the kitchen. Left all the green inside the cabinets. If it were my house and I hired someone to do this work, they would not get paid. Very disappointed.

We had a lovely, well finished room in Dec. You should report these to management so they can address. Perhaps you had a room that wasn't quite finished yet? We didn't have mis-matched fixtures in bathroom, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter