VIRGIN DECREASE baggage allowance from 1st April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something on this thread?? It states on VA site that you can now have 2 x 23kg instead of the 2 x 32kg. To me this reads as you can just take one case and it can weigh over the 23kg but not over the 32kg (which has been around for a while). It seems everyone is upset because they have to take 2 cases instead of one? Why?? Surley you can just fill you case as normal but not go over 46kg in 2 suitcases. Am I right?

Surley not many people have 64kg of luggage?? Wow that is a load of stuff. I know we buy alot out there and still manage to fit it all in one case each and maybe a large holdall, this comes no where near 46kg!!

People have too much money if you are needing 64kg! LOL

weigh your underwear and sox. Seriously, we took a charter one time and they advised to take underwear, sox and any clothes you plan on throwing out. As you wear them or just before return, throw them away.

manning said:
weigh your underwear and sox. Seriously, we took a charter one time and they advised to take underwear, sox and any clothes you plan on throwing out. As you wear them or just before return, throw them away.

I do this (not weigh my underwear :rotfl2: I mean take old stuff and throw it away - my cousin told me to do this as she's a seasoned traveller!) And it usually works in keeping the weight down apart from trying to stop my DH buying more than 1 pair of Timberland boots to bring back (now that's where the weight starts going up!). I just have to bung the maid a good tip on the last day cos of the amount of 'trash' we leave! My cousin usually leaves her old stuff she hasn't used on the bed with a note saying for the maid to help herself if she wants.

The trouble with me though is that I like to buy magazines/books and tons of chocolate over in the usa, so in future I'll have to cut this right down (luckily Borders has opened in Coventry so I can usually get the USA home magazines I like here now). The last time we went, my DH went mad :furious: coming back as the luggage was so heavy as was the hand luggage - I've had to promise next time I will be looking after my own stuff. :rolleyes: Trouble is I'd decided for the first time that I'd buy loads of CDs over there - when I got home I found most of them were cheaper back here in Cov!

We've bought, in the sales at christmas, 2 large pull-along cases that just fit the regulation size, and DH says he'll probably only be taking the one. He says it's up to me what I do with my luggage there and back (and I suppose I don't blame him, as he hurt his shoulder carrying my stuff the last time!) So I bought a cabin-size pull-along as well and that will be for my 'little' purchases.

sorry to witter on!
Paula x :goodvibes

Hi been in Ethiopia on business for the past week - horrendous flight in Business Class with Ethiopian airways and now back to planning what will be, in comparison, my luxurious economy fly drive with Virgin. :rotfl2:

Anyway am catching up and I've been reading this thread but (maybe its the jet lag) I'm confused. :confused3

So please can someone help. Am I right in thinking that each traveller is allowed a maximum of 46 kilos of luggage (spread over two cases). So in our case :lmao: , we'd be allowed 8 cases and a total of 184 kilos. But if we only take 5 cases as long as we don't exceed the 184 kilos or 32 kilos per case (cos of H&S reasons) we'd be ok?

Mumof2 said:
Hi been in Ethiopia on business for the past week - horrendous flight in Business Class with Ethiopian airways and now back to planning what will be, in comparison, my luxurious economy fly drive with Virgin. :rotfl2:

Anyway am catching up and I've been reading this thread but (maybe its the jet lag) I'm confused. :confused3

So please can someone help. Am I right in thinking that each traveller is allowed a maximum of 46 kilos of luggage (spread over two cases). So in our case :lmao: , we'd be allowed 8 cases and a total of 184 kilos. But if we only take 5 cases as long as we don't exceed the 184 kilos or 32 kilos per case (cos of H&S reasons) we'd be ok?

Thats right there has been conflicting messages on here and i would think if they group weigh then you wouldn't have a problem..but some people seem to think that checkin will weigh your case individually and if its over 23kg then you will be over weight even with 2 cases.
On the way back we were group weighed i didn't notice them individually weighing are cases and saying thats to over they did stick heavy stickers on it.
We have 5 in our party so thats 23kgx5x2=230kg =10cases there is no way that i would bring back that much luggage.
It makes more sense to me too have all luggage group weighed and add it together if it's below the 230kg there is no problem.
I bet some one will come on next and say the opposite too what i have said now...cus this board has got very confusing.

By the way folks got my tickets yesterday and i haev the 32kg allowance :banana:

Marv :wave:

Hi everyone

I have just got an email from Virgin and they said that they will honour the full baggage allowance of 32kg when we go next october!!! I dont think I will use the full 32kg, but last year one suitcase did weigh about 26kg... I like to shop!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I've just had an e-mail from Virgin about this basically it says that as i booked before 1st April i will still be entitled to the 32kg not that i get anywhere near this weight, and if i book on or after 1st April then i would be entitled to the 23kg.

that's good to hear they will honour the 32kg we booked 3 weeks ago for next october :cheer2:

that's good to hear they will honour the 32kg we booked 3 weeks ago for next october :cheer2: altough i don't think i'll use that much it's nice to know it's there just in case :teeth:

I guess the real tests will come when those who booked before 1 April travel after (or several months after) 1 April.

I hope you all get thru with no problems.

I am tempted to go investigate other scheduled transatlantic flights to see if they have all changed (know BA have not yet) to see if this is a trend or if Virgin are heading closer to charter status.

As far as I am aware all the US carriers are now only allowing 2x23kg as the standard allowance for checked baggage for an economy passenger :( Most of them lowered their limits during 2005, Virgin are mearly following suit.

No doubt BA will also drop it's allowance sometime in the near future.

We booked Virgin flights last night to travel this December, and our confirmation states 2 x 32kg. We never need that much anyway, but it will be interesting to see if it is honoured. I agree that BA will most likely do exactly the same thing in the near future.

I booked last Nov for this Oct with Thomas Cook Signature. Today they told me I would get 32kg if they issued the tkts today but I would have to sign a disclosure to say if the tkts have to be re-issued for any reason i.e name change or virgin change the time if the flight then I would have to pay to have the tkts re-issued. I then rang virgin atlantic and they said they would only charge if we made a name change or changed the date etc. We rang Thomas Cook Signature back and they said the disclaimer was nothing to do with Virgin it was them that were going to charge us not virgin. They have us over a barrel. Looks like I've only got 23kg. :confused3

Marria and Rossi... contact me on a PM. My Friend also booked with TCS, if you read the DIB boards, (U) her experience was posted on there for yesterday, I think shes called little tink. Any way, she did get it all sorted. Had to stand in the TA in Swindon for nearly 2 hours, but it has been confirmed, so it can be done.

Its a private message, where we can talk alone, off this thread. As i dont want to put names and numbers over the web. click on my name and select private message. Then e mail me . hope we can help you.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
utter nonsense.
Each bag weight effects the amount of fuel that is used on a flight. More weight, more fuel used. Why do you think the cost of excess baggage is so much? that is the true cost of the weight vs fuel used.

Why do you think that the LoCo airlines are starting to charge for cases?
Why on earth do you think that the majority of other airlines have the same weight limits?
What you pay for an economy ticket is less than the true cost, how about paying more for your flight?

To come out with such a snidy remark about Sir Richard is pathetic. :furious:
I agree with your statement, but one thing to consider, a passenger may for example take including the weight of the case 24kg, but if you are only allowed to have a maximum weight of 23kg this could force you to take another case weighing 6kg for example, thus overall weight is now 30kg instead of the original 24kg therefore increasing the passengers overall luggage weight and thus fuel consumption, perhaps it would have been simpler if it were one case to a maximum of 32kg amd then a lower combined weight if taking two ie 46kg, which IMO is enough, this would obviously make it easier for people renting cars and wanting to take limited luggage so that it fits within the confines of the boot/trunk

Chris and Pooh said:
I agree with your statement, but one thing to consider, a passenger may for example take including the weight of the case 24kg, but if you are only allowed to have a maximum weight of 23kg this could force you to take another case weighing 6kg for example, thus overall weight is now 30kg instead of the original 24kg therefore increasing the passengers overall luggage weight and thus fuel consumption, perhaps it would have been simpler if it were one case to a maximum of 32kg amd then a lower combined weight if taking two ie 46kg, which IMO is enough, this would obviously make it easier for people renting cars and wanting to take limited luggage so that it fits within the confines of the boot/trunk

i believe the drop in weight was begun by the US based airlines (last year).
Other airlines around the world have been following (all of the airlines that fly to the country where i live have had this weight restriction for a few months now).

And yes I believe it's mostly related to fuel costs. However, regarding your example of the one heavier case versus the combined suitcases. In the US, the unions were adamant about reducing the weight of individual bags. The baggage handlers union would much rather you take two bags, one weighing 23 KG and one weighing 10 KG, than one bag weighing 33 KG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter