Visiting Florida while trans with current legal issues?

LightningGale

Earning My Ears
I'm guessing most of the folks here have seen the new DMV statement saying, in essence, that Florida does not recognize ID that's had the gender changed - here is a link to a CBS News article explaining. I'm trans and changed all my ID years ago, complying with my home state's laws. By my reading of these statements, it is very unclear whether that ID is now considered fraudulent in Florida. Florida may not have a legal choice in whether to recognize it, but I don't want to be the test case. I do not pass very well - any state trooper or TSA worker could easily identify me as trans.

With this in mind, how are folks here thinking about visiting Florida while trans? Too dangerous? Unlikely to be an issue for an out-of-state tourist? How about if you're going off Disney property?

It's really sad that T-people have to even be concerned about this. But, as a practical matter, I really can't see that the issue will actually arise.

TSA workers are not employed by FL, they are Federal employees and are only there to verify that you are who you say you are when boarding a plane.

Local and state police will only be looking for a valid drivers license. Even if you don't pass I seriously doubt they will make an issue of it. The local Orange County police/sherrif have a policy of being Trans friendly. Just be honest with the officer if you are questioned.

I was under the impression that this new policy applied “only” to Floridians….

Tourists are all unique and from every walk of life. In the 50 years I've been going to Florida and WDW I have met people from all over the planet and people who have different lifestyles, cultures and customs than me. Disney is a place to be happy, friendly, meet new people and make memories.
You be you and go and enjoy your trip. pixiedust:

Disclaimer, I am not trans: I just read the article (thank you for linking to it!), it does seem to apply only to Florida licenses and IDs. Having said that tho, like all these anti-LGBT laws, it seems to have holes the size of Florida that could be exploited to hurt tourists as well. I honestly don't know.

It's horrifying that this is even a conversation that needs to happen.

This "change" returns the process to where it is in most other states. When you meet the legal requirements to have been transitioned, you are issued a new birth certificate with that gender marker on it. You then take that to the DMV and have them issue a new ID with that gender marker. That was the process when people I've known in the two states I've lived in transitioned. From the reading I've done on this, the process in FL had been changed by someone in the DMV to allow people to change at any time.

Unless you're in a state which will not change anything. .. TN, OH just to name a couple.

We have a number of trans friends in FL and have been to the parks with a couple. About once a year I hear of someone being a jerk. Never in the parks tho. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter