• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Viva Italia Trip report 9/30-10-8,2007

I finally got over here to read your reports Steve. Sounds like a fabulous trip.

3 P...you're really going??? Your family is so lucky and they will have a trip they will never forget!

Nancy...yes, we're going! We've been thinking about this for awhile and did a "save the date." It was pretty hard to decide to spend the money to take five of us, but it has always been something we wanted to do once, and with college looming it seems like the time! (Of course, Steve's wonderful trip report helped make the decision easier...:goodvibes Early booking discounts, non-peak season, DVC points for one traveler and frequent flyer miles for some airfares didn't hurt either!) With all of that it still isn't cheap, but I'm sure it will be worth it.:cloud9:

I think the day i was there it was being used for a wedding. The lights were on. As a matter of fact, after we left the Vatican the wedding party came out. The Vatican is wonderful. Some people on the tour did add a day before
to visit the Vatican .

Wow....can you imagine getting married in the Sistine Chapel???:confused3

Were there any laudry facilities along the way? We will be going a few days early and I would like to travel as light as possible. Also any tips on what to bring or not bring? We have three kids, 5,8,10. Thanks.

We went a few days early too and we couldn't find laundry facilities. The hotels didn't offer do it yourself laundry and 7euros for a pair of undies is too much:rotfl2:
I ended up washing that stuff out and buying clothes! Our guides warned us that the laundry places took a really long time and there just never seemed to be enough time to do it.
I pretty much wore everything I brought. I can't really comment on what not to bring but you really don't need anything dressy. It's very casual. Good walking shoes and a different pair to put on at night. I found this saved my feet. They were sore and it helped to put on a different pair. Any other questions, just let us know!

:goodvibes Yes a good pair of walking shoes ,comfortable ones makes a difference. I did not use the laundry facilities at the hotels also. Its expensive
to get them done. It was very sunny when we went and warm.

We are going on the September 14th trip. Any idea on what the weather will be like? I am thinking of taking 5-6 pairs of capris. Then I'll wear tennis shoes and a t-shirt with the capris during the day and then change to some sandals and a nicer top at night.

We are going on the September 14th trip. Any idea on what the weather will be like? I am thinking of taking 5-6 pairs of capris. Then I'll wear tennis shoes and a t-shirt with the capris during the day and then change to some sandals and a nicer top at night.

The weather was around high 80;s when i was there, maybe 90's, so tennis
shoes and t-shirts with capris will do. In Tuscany, the days started on the cool side but heated up fast and in the evening it was cool. Abd will send you a good information package close to your departure with a good back pack also. I bought a light jacket just in case it got to cool.

Helpful things especially with children:
Think first aid kit: cold medicines require a Rx, so make a list ie., chewable Tylenol, anti-dia.., cold medicines to keep airway open for plane ride, dramamine, etc.
Do not expect any place for cleaning your laundry!
Try to bring Euro's with you. The rate changed dramatically while we were there.
Try to book in May, early June, or September it can get as hot as 102 during the summer and no child or parent can take it.
Exercise a lot with your kids before you go. There is a lot of walking involved. At least 3.5 miles a day.
Good note: They really researched the bathrooms, they made pretty good stops that were fairly clean and did have toilet seats (some only offer only a porcelain toilet, so it is hard for the little ones).
Oh, yes, be sure to take Off. When you go to Tuscany, it is the country and there are mosquitoes! I was so glad to have it and offer it to the others who needed it.
Try to learn a little bit of Italian before you go. It really made the difference when you try.
We also packed backpacks flattened in our luggage for any extra things that we bought.
If I think of anything else, I will be sure to post it!

Thanks for the tips. We will be going 5/29/08, so hopefuly the weather will be good. I would not have thought of insect repellant. :)

Helpful things especially with children:
Think first aid kit: cold medicines require a Rx, so make a list ie., chewable Tylenol, anti-dia.., cold medicines to keep airway open for plane ride, dramamine, etc.
Do not expect any place for cleaning your laundry!
Try to bring Euro's with you. The rate changed dramatically while we were there.
Try to book in May, early June, or September it can get as hot as 102 during the summer and no child or parent can take it.
Exercise a lot with your kids before you go. There is a lot of walking involved. At least 3.5 miles a day.
Good note: They really researched the bathrooms, they made pretty good stops that were fairly clean and did have toilet seats (some only offer only a porcelain toilet, so it is hard for the little ones).
Oh, yes, be sure to take Off. When you go to Tuscany, it is the country and there are mosquitoes! I was so glad to have it and offer it to the others who needed it.
Try to learn a little bit of Italian before you go. It really made the difference when you try.
We also packed backpacks flattened in our luggage for any extra things that we bought.
If I think of anything else, I will be sure to post it!

Oh yes i forgot about the bugs. Insect spray in Tuscany is a good idea. And there are plenty of rest stops along the way.:)

Oh, yes. Almost forgot. Be sure that you use only your primary credit card with protection on it and make sure that you call so that they know that you will be out of the country and for how long. I say this, because even though we were cautious with where we used our card, our number was stolen. Someone tried to order something on-line with a catalog. My card caught it right away! Whew!

How much down time did you have and were there any places, restaurants or activities that you particularly enjoyed or recommend that you did on your own?

Hi all. I am considering the Viva Italia trip 8/3/07 -- anyone else?

I am a little concerned about the heat. Personally I love hot weather, but over 100 does seem hot especially for walking around. We've got to go when school is out, though. Has anyone experienced Italy in August? Presumably the bus is air conditioned, right? Are their opportunities to get lots of water to drink?

Any thoughts are welcome.

The buses are great for the weather. The guides bring along plenty of cold water bottles and snacks. I went in September and the weather was cool in the evening and warm in the day time.

Steve, thanks so much for your trip report. I'm planning a trip to Italy with my sister and my friend for September. We've narrowed down the choice of tour companies to 3: Adventures by Disney, Gate1 Travel, and Perillo Tours. I just don't know which one to pick, it's so overwhelming. I'm an avid visiter to WDW, so I personally feel anything Disney touches, turns to gold. Disney always has a way of adding that extra something to make your experience seem magical. So I feel it must be the same for ABD. But like I said, I just feel ovewhelmed and don't know which tour company to choose.

I do have a question about the hotel you stayed at in Venice. Regardless of which tour company we use, my sister would really love to stay at hotel in Venice that is on the canal. I was curious to know if the hotel that ABD provided in Venice was on the canal and if your room had a view of the canal.

In addition to Steve, I would welcome input from anyone else reading this. I want this trip to be a positive one. My sister has been to Italy before, but this will be the first trip for my friend and myself. I know that no trip is "perfect", but I do want it to be pleasurable and I want to chose a tour company that will contribute to that.

I've read reviews from people who have used tour companies where they have complained about the hotels that were provided being dumps and in bad locations to the guides not being friendly and helpful, to waiting for sometimes up to an hour to be greeted by someone at the airport. So I'm just really nervous about this decision.

:eek:

In addition to Steve, I would welcome input from anyone else reading this. I want this trip to be a positive one. My sister has been to Italy before, but this will be the first trip for my friend and myself. I know that no trip is "perfect", but I do want it to be pleasurable and I want to chose a tour company that will contribute to that.

I have to admit that, even though I'm an agent, my most recent trips to Europe have all been with AbD. I think they're as close to perfect as you can get. I have clients who I've booked with other tour companies, mostly because the initial cost of an AbD trip is daunting, but it's hard to understand just how much you get with an AbD trip until you've actually been on one. 70% of my AbD clients are repeats and those who haven't repeated yet are planning trips in the future.

We did the Viva trip in its first full year, and the hotels and excursions were a bit different than what's offered now. However, if you just want to get a feel for the trip, Google "dotti" and "viva italia" and the report should show up in multiple places. The DisBuzz article has a few photos -- just PM me if you want the Kodak Photo Gallery link to about 500 more! :laughing:

Steve, thanks so much for your trip report. I'm planning a trip to Italy with my sister and my friend for September. We've narrowed down the choice of tour companies to 3: Adventures by Disney, Gate1 Travel, and Perillo Tours. I just don't know which one to pick, it's so overwhelming. I'm an avid visiter to WDW, so I personally feel anything Disney touches, turns to gold. Disney always has a way of adding that extra something to make your experience seem magical. So I feel it must be the same for ABD. But like I said, I just feel ovewhelmed and don't know which tour company to choose.

I do have a question about the hotel you stayed at in Venice. Regardless of which tour company we use, my sister would really love to stay at hotel in Venice that is on the canal. I was curious to know if the hotel that ABD provided in Venice was on the canal and if your room had a view of the canal.

I've read reviews from people who have used tour companies where they have complained about the hotels that were provided being dumps and in bad locations to the guides not being friendly and helpful, to waiting for sometimes up to an hour to be greeted by someone at the airport. So I'm just really nervous about this decision.

:eek:

The hotel in Venice was on the canal. My room was not facing the canal but other travelers might have been. It was big hotel room and the hotel itself is beautiful. Since i was traveling solo the hotel gave me a room on the main floor but off to the side .

The guides were wonderful and very helpful. Leo one of the guides greeted me at the Rome airport and at the Venice airport Heidi was right there helping me.:goodvibes
I know its a hard decision but i took ABD because it had features that other tours did not seem to have and the price was good.

I have some photos that i posted on the ABD picture of the Day thread.

Thanks for bumping. I just read the trip report again. We're going 5/29/08 and I have been counting down the days. We are so excited!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter