VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Well my kids look at me with the weirdest looks on their faces and DD ask what the h*#& was I smoking back in those days. I had to explain this was way before my time:hippie: Of course I get the "yeah, right Dad" comment much like that in the scene at Carousel of Progress. If Jeopardy had an all music category show, put me in there, I would make for some stiff competition :crazy:

hehe - I think I've shared this before but.. I have an older sister and we ended up sharing a bedroom when she was around 18-19 and I was a toddler. SHE had gotten a "portable" record player for Christmas one year. The speakers could be hooked to the player - it was about 1'x2'x2 1/2' total and way cooler than our huge console furniture record player - (at the time, as I find that piece very cool now). Every night as I was falling asleep she'd play music for me - good new childrens albums like The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and Peter Paul and Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon was my absolute favorite!

Ah, being young in 1969! :hippie:

Last edited:
I'm a Dead Head from way back; not to be confused with Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine. Anybody seen Sherman lately?

View attachment 315233

DDad...loving that shirt! And a way back machine reference is always fun! :cool2:

hehe - I think I've shared this before but.. I have an older sister and we ended up sharing a bedroom when she was around 18-19 and I was a toddler. SHE had gotten a "portable" record player for Christmas one year. The speakers could be hooked to the player - it was about 1'x2'x2 1/2' total and way cooler than our huge console furniture record player - (at the time, as I find that piece very cool now). Every night as I was falling asleep she'd play music for me - good new childrens albums like The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and Peter Paul and Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon was my absolute favorite!

Yes I was pretty young as well in 1969. But the music and Vietnam war were right in my formative years. If anyone ever watched WonderYears when it was on tv, that was the exact age I was during that time in history. Kathy, it’s funny that Magical Mystery Tour was considered children’s music! :thumbsup2

My daughter lost a Maleficent Magicband at Blizzard Beach. It showed up in our mailbox today with a note that said they found it at the bottom of the pool....magical moment in Minneapolis....

Ron... that’s a great story. Pixie dust is always welcome!

We made it to Aulani today about 3:00 local time. Had to wait for our room but that was no problem.

While we waited we grabbed a little bite to eat at Ulu Cafe. While we were sitting outside, a young lady CM came up to us and presented us with a free Dole Whip! Mrs. Granny and I were so surprised as we sat there for over a half hour and she never came out on the patio again nor did anyone else get a Dole Whip. We went inside the cafe to find the girl to thank her again but she was nowhere to be found. So we started our trip with a little pixie dust. And then they texted me that our room was ready...a first for me as we always have to ask the front desk if our room is ready since we don’t get texts at WDW DVC resorts. And here is a wuick shot looking out the sliding doors in our living room.

E7CC9759-6A50-4867-BE4D-B770CDE1D963.jpeg

I’ll take a better picture tomorrow.

Right now I’m fighting the three hour time change and am heading for some sack time.

Granny that is a great view! Maybe the time change from home is catching up with you too. I didn't realize they could do texts. I guess the front desk confirmed your phone number or is there somewhere where you can do online check in?

Granny that is a great view! Maybe the time change from home is catching up with you too. I didn't realize they could do texts. I guess the front desk confirmed your phone number or is there somewhere where you can do online check in?

We did online check in at Aulani a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure. I think only VGC does not have that option as DL is on their own system. I'm not positive what Aulani uses but it has allowed the check in.

Ah, being young in the 1969! :hippie:
Wow! Cool big sis.
I remember my mom singing that song to me, and the dishes, and the vacuum.

We made it to Aulani today about 3:00 local time. Had to wait for our room but that was no problem.

While we waited we grabbed a little bite to eat at Ulu Cafe. While we were sitting outside, a young lady CM came up to us and presented us with a free Dole Whip! Mrs. Granny and I were so surprised as we sat there for over a half hour and she never came out on the patio again nor did anyone else get a Dole Whip. We went inside the cafe to find the girl to thank her again but she was nowhere to be found. So we started our trip with a little pixie dust. And then they texted me that our room was ready...a first for me as we always have to ask the front desk if our room is ready since we don’t get texts at WDW DVC resorts. And here is a quick shot looking out the sliding doors in our living room.

View attachment 315449

:love: Fantastic pixie dust. Love that view.

Granny - Please don't let Cindy try the Almond Croissants . . . or you will never leave Aulani . . . Ever . . . . Remember, I warned you.

I get them every day there.

At BWV too so it is possible to leave but you have to go to DisneyWorld immediately. :thumbsup2

When we arrived, our room was not ready. The front desk CM asked for my phone number at that point. We got the text about 45 minutes later.

By the way, the internet is excruciatingly slow here. I can’t open web pages easily...think of bad dial-up speed. But I was able to get to this page after a few minutes to check up on my friends here. Today is a laze around day to shake off the time zone effects. Of course ot didn’t help to get a text at 3:00 in the morning from someone who didn’t know I was on a trip!

When we arrived, our room was not ready. The front desk CM asked for my phone number at that point. We got the text about 45 minutes later.

By the way, the internet is excruciatingly slow here. I can’t open web pages easily...think of bad dial-up speed. But I was able to get to this page after a few minutes to check up on my friends here. Today is a laze around day to shake off the time zone effects. Of course ot didn’t help to get a text at 3:00 in the morning from someone who didn’t know I was on a trip!

Thanks Granny, we will probably do that as well. I am surprised that the internet is slow, we have never had problems with it. I would mention it to the front desk.

Puff the Magic Dragon was a childhood favorite of mine too. I had no idea the real meaning until many many many years later

Thanks Granny, we will probably do that as well. I am surprised that the internet is slow, we have never had problems with it. I would mention it to the front desk.

Thanks Denise. The public access areas are not as bad using my iPhone. I’ll ask the front desk about it.

Uh oh...Cindy just got up to see if they have any almond croissants! :eek:

Last edited:
Great view Granny! I know you and Cindy will enjoy your stay, and I’m looking forward to updates!popcorn::

Thanks Denise. The public access areas are not as bad using my iPhone. I’ll ask the front desk about it.

Uh oh...Cindy just got up to see if they have any almond croissants! :eek:

Kona coffee goes pretty well with them. ;)

Here’s a better picture of my balcony view straight out from my room.

D1B03A56-05A3-4EA7-AE26-EDDE52ABA6B6.jpeg

For those familiar with Aulani, that is the luau area directly below our room. The building under construction near the beach has all the looks of a wedding chapel. Though we haven’t asked about it, I just assume that’s what it looks like.

And they were out of almond croissants... so I dodged that bullet for now.

Here’s a better picture of my balcony view straight out from my room.

View attachment 315545

For those familiar with Aulani, that is the luau area directly below our room. The building under construction near the beach has all the looks of a wedding chapel. Though we haven’t asked about it, I just assume that’s what it looks like.

And they were out of almond croissants... so I dodged that bullet for now.

That is the Wedding Chapel next door. I am surprised to see the construction walls all around it. I wonder what is going on. Was it bought out by Atlantis or is it just remodeling. I think every time we have been at Aulani there are weddings each day as we often have seen the bride and groom taking photos on the beach.

I hope they have almond croissants we were are there. They sound yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter