VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

C9C821C9-F101-47E8-82C1-91D8CC3B5630.jpeg OK, this speaks to how observant (weird??) I am, but, has anyone noticed the new graphic on the DVC site when the page is loading? I am so happy they changed it from (what I interpreted as) Angry Woody telling you to hold your horses! Yes,, I know, I am odd......

Corrine
I saw this the other day but being the un-observant I have become recently(used to not be this way but old age/being overly busy with work or a combo of both has made me this way)it didn’t dawn on me that Woody was gone. I do agree it’s less negative

He's popular so I'd go ahead with a dining package. Biergarten has become a favorite for us - it's one of the lower cost and includes a show of it's own!

I second this! CP itself has become so popular that it’s tough to get into let alone get decent seat. And Biergarten is an excellent choice too. Splurge if you want to see it!

Thank you guys for the reminder about CP. I had forgotten to put a reminder on my calendar to book it. Anyone know about when they open up the booking for Candlelight Processional dinner packages?

Thank you guys for the reminder about CP. I had forgotten to put a reminder on my calendar to book it. Anyone know about when they open up the booking for Candlelight Processional dinner packages?

Never mind, I found the information.

According to the Disney Food Blog, booking will be available starting this Wednesday on July 11.

And here is the list of narrators so far:

Chita Rivera: November 22-23, 2018
Neil Patrick Harris: December 3 -6, 2018
Whoopi Goldberg: December 7-9, 2018
Blair Underwood: December 13-14, 2018
Gary Sinise: December 15-17, 2018
Pat Sajak: December 18-20, 2018
Edward James Olmos: December 24-25, 2018
Jodi Benson: December 26-27, 2018

Good luck everyone who is booking!

View attachment 335305 OK, this speaks to how observant (weird??) I am, but, has anyone noticed the new graphic on the DVC site when the page is loading? I am so happy they changed it from (what I interpreted as) Angry Woody telling you to hold your horses! Yes,, I know, I am odd......

I did notice the change Corinne! Maybe it's the horsey person in me but I really miss Woody and Bullseye. They at least seemed to be running and moving to get things done. These floaty balloons are just taking their time. :surfweb:

He's popular so I'd go ahead with a dining package. Biergarten has become a favorite for us - it's one of the lower cost and includes a show of it's own!

I second this! CP itself has become so popular that it’s tough to get into let alone get decent seat. And Biergarten is an excellent choice too. Splurge if you want to see it!

Never mind, I found the information.

According to the Disney Food Blog, booking will be available starting this Wednesday on July 11.

And here is the list of narrators so far:

Chita Rivera: November 22-23, 2018
Neil Patrick Harris: December 3 -6, 2018
Whoopi Goldberg: December 7-9, 2018
Blair Underwood: December 13-14, 2018
Gary Sinise: December 15-17, 2018
Pat Sajak: December 18-20, 2018
Edward James Olmos: December 24-25, 2018
Jodi Benson: December 26-27, 2018

Good luck everyone who is booking!

Good info! Hope to get a dining package on Wednesday, I'm sure they will sell out. I have never eaten at Biergarten, always wanted to see inside, but the food offerings were never an attraction for us. With only 2 of us to feed verses 4 this time, it is high on the possibility list. I assume prices will be UP there for everything. Time to do some more digging...

Hi Cindy,

I saw this too....and would love to see him narrate. Unfortunately we don’t have plans to visit this December (yet). But I doubt we can swing it.

Aw. You'll be missed. I liked our all too brief meeting last year and had hoped I'd be a bit less awkward this year (there's no telling when my introvertedness, if that's a word, will get the better of me). I'll do my best to net some of that charm off NPH. Bring it back north for you.

(Groupies... I've heard good things about Gary Sinise too!)

View attachment 335305 OK, this speaks to how observant (weird??) I am, but, has anyone noticed the new graphic on the DVC site when the page is loading? I am so happy they changed it from (what I interpreted as) Angry Woody telling you to hold your horses! Yes,, I know, I am odd......

I did notice the change Corinne! Maybe it's the horsey person in me but I really miss Woody and Bullseye. They at least seemed to be running and moving to get things done. These floaty balloons are just taking their time. :surfweb:

I miss Woody. Maybe it's from when my kids were small, watching Toy Story over and over and over, but the character seems to be a part of my DNA now.
The floaty balloons do take too long to move along. :rotfl2:

In other news regarding the new website functionality... I saw at one point we had the ability to modify our reservations, but they quickly zapped that (something was broken? perhaps folk were able to make changes that were not allowed?) The site worked flawlessly for a reservation I was attempting to walk forward though - let me cancel and re-book without a hiccup which the older version always required multiple refreshes and a minor myocardial infarction while doing so. It was nice for a change.

I noticed the change as well. I kinda liked it though, but thought it strange they would remove the Toy Story reference with the new opening at the studios.

One other question, those of you who have booked Aulani before. I haven't had success getting my reservation to link with MDE. Are we supposed to be able to do that? I know Christmas will be very busy there, how far ahead should we be able to book dining there?

I noticed the change as well. I kinda liked it though, but thought it strange they would remove the Toy Story reference with the new opening at the studios.

One other question, those of you who have booked Aulani before. I haven't had success getting my reservation to link with MDE. Are we supposed to be able to do that? I know Christmas will be very busy there, how far ahead should we be able to book dining there?
We booked Aulani Thurs for dates in Feb. When we visited there 2 yrs ago I don’t remember the ressies lining up with MDE back then.

You can book dining online 6 mos ahead at Disneyaulani.com then select dining and then make ressies
Or call 808-674-6200 for dining

Hope this helps:-)

Good info! Hope to get a dining package on Wednesday, I'm sure they will sell out. I have never eaten at Biergarten, always wanted to see inside, but the food offerings were never an attraction for us. With only 2 of us to feed verses 4 this time, it is high on the possibility list. I assume prices will be UP there for everything. Time to do some more digging...

Aw. You'll be missed. I liked our all too brief meeting last year and had hoped I'd be a bit less awkward this year (there's no telling when my introvertedness, if that's a word, will get the better of me). I'll do my best to net some of that charm off NPH. Bring it back north for you.

(Groupies... I've heard good things about Gary Sinise too!)

I don't think I've ever seen all the CP packages sell out until maybe shortly before the day or a bit earlier if it's something popular. Certain locations will book up but others will be open. I've even booked it day of 2 or 3 years ago. And there's definitely an upcharge for the CP. Biergarten is one of the last to book. They may have a lot more reservations dedicated to it since it's a buffet and probably turns seats over more quickly. I think a lot of people question the menu but I'd bet most could find at least a couple of things to enjoy there - or a lot more than they expect. I avoided it for years even though I like a lot of German foods. It has communal seating if your group doesn't fill a table but it really isn't a big deal. Had some good Dr Who conversation with table mates the first time we dined there! And by chance, maybe since we never do fill a full table or maybe because it's CP reservations, we've always been seated right by the stage and had a great view of the show.

Happy Sunday Groupies!

Just booked FP’s for our September trip! I love the Aliens from TS, but I think the ride will be too much spinning, so I’m passing for now.

I don't think I've ever seen all the CP packages sell out until maybe shortly before the day or a bit earlier if it's something popular. Certain locations will book up but others will be open. I've even booked it day of 2 or 3 years ago. And there's definitely an upcharge for the CP. Biergarten is one of the last to book. They may have a lot more reservations dedicated to it since it's a buffet and probably turns seats over more quickly. I think a lot of people question the menu but I'd bet most could find at least a couple of things to enjoy there - or a lot more than they expect. I avoided it for years even though I like a lot of German foods. It has communal seating if your group doesn't fill a table but it really isn't a big deal. Had some good Dr Who conversation with table mates the first time we dined there! And by chance, maybe since we never do fill a full table or maybe because it's CP reservations, we've always been seated right by the stage and had a great view of the show.

FYI, people are reporting that AP holders can call in and book the CP package on the 10th - a day earlier than general booking opens.

I can confirm that AP holders can book CP dinner packages tomorrow:

CPbooking.JPG

Now we'll just have to figure out which restaurant we want. Good luck for anyone booking a dinner package. :)

You'll love DL, JT. If you have any questions, just ask. Since we were just there, things are still fresh on my mind.

With that in mind, here are a few thoughts that struck me and might be of usefulness. . .
1) Despite others insisting otherwise, we managed to hit all the rides we wanted easily enough just using the regular FP system. We were going to use the upgraded version that costs an extra $10 per day per person, but didn't after trying the parks without it the first day. We made very good use of EMH and would ride a lot before the park opened to non-guest patrons. After that, we'd do FPs. Now, sometimes the next FP time would open up before we had actually gotten to our original FP. . .as quickly as 45 minutes later a couple of times. With fewer rides at the two parks, getting the $10 option meant re-riding the same major attractions more times than we needed. Others would feel differently, I know. Now, if you're only there a couple of days or so, then I think the extra cost could be worthwhile.
2) No need to sweat the dining as much as at WDW. Easier to get into places, and with Downtown Disney literally just outside the main gates of both parks, it's easy to dine there instead of in the parks.
3) To do WOC or Fantasmic dining packages or not? We did neither show this time, but based on my prior experience there, I'd not do a dining package. Yes, it gets you into a reserved viewing section, but those sections are far from the best seats in the house. Show up 90 minutes early and camp out at the entrance to the best viewing areas (you can find that on Hydroguy's DL thread), and you can get right down front. Trust me, that's a much better viewing area, especially for WOC.
4) Definitely catch the parades. An hour or so early should be plenty of time to grab a spot. Heck, my daughter and I went the first night, and we got there maybe 40 minutes ahead of time and got great spots.
5) Do all the classic rides that WDW no longer has (or never did have). Is Mr Toad's Wild Ride awesome? No. But, as a Disney enthusiast, it's a must see.
6) Do all the rides that match up with their cousins in WDW: POTC, HM, Space Mtn, Autopia, et.al., to see which ones you like better. You might be surprised!
7) I assume you're staying at VGC, but don't forget to visit the other two hotels just to check them out. Of particular note is the classic DLH and it's differently themed buildings. It will provide a bit of nostalgia for you.
8) Ride the monorail, but ask to get in the front car. You may have to wait awhile (we waited over half an hour), but it's worth it to ride the monorail loop (only two stops: DL park and DD) with the pilot/driver.
9) If you are staying at VGC, there's an entrance just for GCH guests to CA Adventure; however, first thing in the mornings at EMH, it can be a long line. It moves fairly well, though. You can always go to the DD entrance from the hotel (a one minute walk from the lobby) instead which is often less crowded, but then you'll have to walk all the way around to the entrance to CA Adventure. Still, it's a good option should you grab breakfast in DD first thing in the morning.
10) Bag checks are at the entrance to DD (should you go to the DLH, for instance) or when you exit the GCH either into DD or into CA Adventure. Either way, you will be bag checked (if you have one) and will have to go through a metal detector each time you leave the hotel. However, once through, you don't have to do it again entering the park. DD is considered part of the parks area, so once in there, you won't be scanned or checked unless you go back to your hotel and then leave again.
11) EMH is simple. They alternate days at the two parks.

Okay, that's about it. I've been meaning to post this for those who haven't been, anyway, so perhaps this will help you, too.

Last edited:

View attachment 335777

Now we'll just have to figure out which restaurant we want. Good luck for anyone booking a dinner package. :)

Enjoy my fellow groupies. We won't be going this December. :( I am bummed but with a buy out of the company my husband works for and things we need to fix around the house we are skipping our parents only trip this year. Crossing my fingers for a parents only cruise in 2019.

You'll love DL, JT. If you have any questions, just ask. Since we were just there, things are still fresh on my mind.

With that in mind, here are a few things that struck me and might be of usefulness. . .
1) Despite others insisting otherwise, we managed to hit all the rides we wanted easily enough just using the regular FP system. We were going to use the upgraded version that costs an extra $10 per day per person, but didn't after trying the parks without it the first day. We made very good use of EMH and would ride a lot before the park opened to non-guest patrons. After that, we'd do FPs. Now, sometimes the next FP time would open up before we had actually gotten to our original FP. . .as quickly as 45 minutes later a couple of times. With fewer rides at the two parks, getting the $10 option meant re-riding the same major attractions more times than we needed. Others would feel differently, I know. Now, if you're only there a couple of days or so, then I think the extra cost could be worthwhile.
2) No need to sweat the dining as much as at WDW. Easier to get into places, and with Downtown Disney literally just outside the main gates of both parks, it's easy to dine there instead of in the parks.
3) To do WOC or Fantasmic dining packages or not? We did neither show this time, but based on my prior experience there, I'd not do a dining package. Yes, it gets you into a reserved viewing section, but those sections are far from the best seats in the house. Show up 90 minutes early and camp out at the entrance to the best viewing areas (you can find that on Hydroguy's DL thread), and you can get right down front. Trust me, that's a much better viewing area, especially for WOC.
4) Definitely catch the parades. An hour or so early should be plenty of time to grab a spot. Heck, my daughter and I went the first night, and we got there maybe 40 minutes ahead of time and got great spots.
5) Do all the classic rides that WDW no longer has (or never did have). Is Mr Toad's Wild Ride awesome? No. But, as a Disney enthusiast, it's a must see.
6) Do all the rides that match up with their cousins in WDW: POTC, HM, Space Mtn, Autopia, et.al., to see which ones you like better. You might be surprised!
7) I assume you're staying at VGC, but don't forget to visit the other two hotels just to check them out. Of particular note is the classic DLH and it's differently themed buildings. It will provide a bit of nostalgia for you.
8) Ride the monorail, but ask to get in the front car. You may have to wait awhile (we waited over half an hour), but it's worth it to ride the monorail loop (only two stops: DL park and DD) with the pilot/driver.
9) If you are staying at VGC, there's an entrance just for GCH guests to CA Adventure; however, first thing in the mornings at EMH, it can be a long line. It moves fairly well, though. You can always go to the DD entrance from the hotel (a one minute walk from the lobby) instead which is often less crowded, but then you'll have to walk all the way around to the entrance to CA Adventure. Still, it's a good option should you grab breakfast in DD first thing in the morning.
10) Bag checks are at the entrance to DD (should you go to the DLH, for instance) or when you exit the GCH either into DD or into CA Adventure. Either way, you will be bag checked (if you have one) and will have to go through a metal detector each time you leave the hotel. However, once through, you don't have to do it again entering the park. DD is considered part of the parks area, so once in there, you won't be scanned or checked unless you go back to your hotel and then leave again.
11) EMH is simple. They alternate days at the two parks.

Okay, that's about it. I've been meaning to post this for those who haven't been, anyway, so perhaps this will help you, too.

Great summary of DLR comments, Sleepy! :)

Now that I've had some time since my visit to DLR in April, I think I am in agreement with pretty much everything you mentioned. We are definitely not early morning people, so morning EMH hours are not something we do. For us the upgraded FP was worth the money for our 2 day visit.

I can't comment on WOC or Fantasmic with or without dining packages because neither show was running during our visit. Those two shows alone might make a return trip show up at some point in our future.

It sounds like the park entrance lines (during the course of the day) were not a big issue during your stay? We found it a bit time consuming to park hop since the lines were significant for the two days we went.

I think the key is to avoid the two day approach if you can. For us, WDW is very leisurely and we felt rushed during our DLR visit since we didn't know if we'd ever be back and we were there for only two days. Even if we had just added a 3rd day I think we would have had a more relaxing visit.

We also visited on a Wednesday and Thursday as everything we read indicates that DLR is really packed with locals on the weekends. We were surprised at the size of the crowds during the weekday, but again we noticed it more because we were on a short visit, and we don't use EMH.

The only tip I'd add to your list is:

12) Definitely take in the Frozen show at DCA. Even if you get a little nauseous seeing Elsa & Anna again or hearing "that song" for the 10 millionth time...the show is definitely worth attending. It is most definitely not like its cousin at WDW...it is more like it's a rich uncle to the WDW version! :)

View attachment 335777

And I just saw on the DVC facebook page that apparently DVC members can also do early booking tomorrow, July 10th. Not really promoted at all.....

Great summary of DLR comments, Sleepy! :)

Now that I've had some time since my visit to DLR in April, I think I am in agreement with pretty much everything you mentioned. We are definitely not early morning people, so morning EMH hours are not something we do. For us the upgraded FP was worth the money for our 2 day visit.

I can't comment on WOC or Fantasmic with or without dining packages because neither show was running during our visit. Those two shows alone might make a return trip show up at some point in our future.

It sounds like the park entrance lines (during the course of the day) were not a big issue during your stay? We found it a bit time consuming to park hop since the lines were significant for the two days we went.

I think the key is to avoid the two day approach if you can. For us, WDW is very leisurely and we felt rushed during our DLR visit since we didn't know if we'd ever be back and we were there for only two days. Even if we had just added a 3rd day I think we would have had a more relaxing visit.

We also visited on a Wednesday and Thursday as everything we read indicates that DLR is really packed with locals on the weekends. We were surprised at the size of the crowds during the weekday, but again we noticed it more because we were on a short visit, and we don't use EMH.

The only tip I'd add to your list is:

12) Definitely take in the Frozen show at DCA. Even if you get a little nauseous seeing Elsa & Anna again or hearing "that song" for the 10 millionth time...the show is definitely worth attending. It is most definitely not like its cousin at WDW...it is more like it's a rich uncle to the WDW version! :)

Yes! The Anna @ the Hyperion is quite spiced up, we really enjoyed this as well. Both times we went we did Sunday night (late flight arrival) through about 8:00 PM Friday (red eye departure). So, I definitely recommend more than two days. I like my pool time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter