• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We are home from a wonderful 7 night Fantasy cruise followed by 4 nights at WDW. We got home last Thursday, but this is the first chance I have had to get back to the boards. We came home to a very sick dog. Our male newfoundland got a really bad skin infection while we were away. He had to be shaved, put on antibiotics, steroids, medicated shampoo, medicated skin spray as well as wipes. This is on top of the allergy meds and immunotherapy drops he already gets every day. He was in really bad shape. He had lost nearly 20 pounds in 15 days. Today he is finally starting to get back to our big, affectionate goofy boy. Our other two dogs are fine.

The cruise was AMAZING. We had an extended veranda room all the way aft. Vibrations were so so our first night but after that not bad at all. Ship and service - fantastic as always. We had a great experience in St. Martin. We did a make your own perfume/cologne excursion through DCL. It took us to Tijon perfumery where we donned lab coats had a quick introduction/class and then were able to make our own fragrance. We had to name it and got to bring a decent sized bottle home with us. We were also given a gift bag filled with other goodies including another full size fragrance of our choice. This was our 4th DCL cruise and my all time favorite excursion. It was more on the pricey side but for what we got - totally worth it. I want to do it again!

We had a really nice room on the 5th floor at BRV. When we checked in we went to the grocery and stocked up. We had decided to cook most meals in our room since we were kind of over the big meals from the 7 night cruise. That first night about 11:30 we noticed the frig was NOT cooling. Ian called and was told someone would be right up to look at it. No one came so after about 45 minutes he called the main WL phone number. That worked and someone came up immediately. For some reason the frig was on an auto defrost mode and she was able to get it off that and into normal cooling. She also brought by a studio sized frig just incase. Then much to our amazement we were credited 200.00 for groceries (no need everything was still OK at that point) and also given 3 anytime fast passes for each of the 4 of us. They had some restrictions - no Pandora or Frozen but that was Ok. We used them the next day at the MK. We weren't expecting them nor asked for anything more than a working frig so that was really nice and appreciated.

We also got to try out the new pool for the first time and liked it. Ian thought it should be a bit deeper, but I thought it was perfect. Now he is 6ft 2 and I am 4ft 11 so the difference of opinion is understandable.

This was the first vacation in 2 years all 4 of us were together. Our youngest went with us this time and it was really nice having her (most of the time it was really nice - to be fair she is not used to living with us anymore and it is an adjustment for her as it is for us). It is the most/longest time frame we have spent with her since she moved out. Letting her go back to Austin last Thursday broke my heart. But she is happy and will be home again later this month.

I am dying to go on another cruise. I was kind of surprised to realize I actually enjoy the cruises more than the parks right now. Maybe if I teach myself to slow down, stop and smell the roses more when we are in the parks I would feel differently. There is a HUGE difference in the trips Ian and I take by ourselves and the ones where we have our (adult) kids with us. Or maybe it is just because we have been to the parks 4 times in 2 years and it has been 5 years since we cruised. Regardless - I really want to cruise again as soon as we can. DCL is very pricey though and with changes coming to Ian's company (a buy out) we are not sure how things will be in the future so it may be a while. DL is also on our radar - maybe for next year. We lived close to the corner of Ball Rd and Euclid in Anaheim for 3 years. That is where we were living when our oldest was born. We haven't been back to California since we moved in October of '93 so we are really considering it. Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to get a 1 bedroom at VG in June, at the 7 month window?

We had success booking a 1BR at VGC for Spring Break at 7 months, we went Sunday night through Friday morning checkout to avoid the weekend nights. Hopefully you will have the same luck in June! Trouble may be the StarWars land opening....

Welcome back Jen, your trip sounds like it was wonderful! It’s always so great when you can spend an extended period of time with your adult kids!

I’m sorry to hear about your dog, but glad to hear he’s getting better!

Happy Birthday America.png

A Happy 4th of July to all Groupies! Let's take a moment to remember in deep appreciation our forefathers who took the risk of high treason to gain our freedoms. And who wrote such impassioned documents declaring our freedom and rights. Truly people of vision and courage!

Hey Folks!
Burning the Midnight Oil these days(and I think my oil tank is running dry:crazy2:)so I wanted to say a Happy(but belated)4th of July to all you wonderful folks!!

Jen, trip sounds wonderful! Im sorry your furry little one has been under the weather but glad he is on the mend:-)

Jen sounds like a great trip (minus the dog scare). We loved cruising when we went too. Been awhile though. I personally loved cruising because it separated DH from work. Probably now he could still buy some plan that they could hunt him and down and bother him like they do everywhere else we go. :rolleyes1

Sleepy, love your pics. I want to DL again someday. It's been about 16 years since my one and only visit there. I was secretly going to see if I could get us a layover in LAX on the Hawaii trip, but right now I'd just to like to locate air fare to Hawaii that doesn't make me feel like I should make a decision between college for one of my kids vs. vacation.:crazy2: Also, Sleepy, still waiting on my school schedule to see what I'm teaching next year. I'm sure you left your teachers in good hands though!

We had a nice low key day for the 4th. Went to see Incredibles 2 and then watched fireworks down on Mobile Bay. They were pretty good, but when your a Disney fan everything else just seems to pale in comparison.

Posting from the lovely environs of HHI, though not the Disney resort. Nope, we're in the Palmetto Dunes area which, for those who don't know, is directly across the main drag from the Disney resort. We got her yesterday and leave Sunday. This is our third visit here, and in the past, we've stayed at the Marriott right on the beach. This time, we're in a rental villa about 3/4 mile from the beach. It's lovely, situated on a golf course, and we can be at the beach in about two minutes. It's our brief anniversary trip with just the two of us since our trip to DL was with my daughter. We've strolled along the beach (Starbucks in hand), had Mickey waffles at the Disney resort and played corn hole (I won) and bocci ball (Luv won). We sat out at the pool with Bloody Marys, had a great meal at our favorite place here on the island (OMBRA Cucina), and are about to head out to grab some fresh seafood for lunch. Hope all the Groupies are doing well. Will post pics at some point. . .I hope.

Posting from the lovely environs of HHI, though not the Disney resort. Nope, we're in the Palmetto Dunes area which, for those who don't know, is directly across the main drag from the Disney resort. We got her yesterday and leave Sunday. This is our third visit here, and in the past, we've stayed at the Marriott right on the beach. This time, we're in a rental villa about 3/4 mile from the beach. It's lovely, situated on a golf course, and we can be at the beach in about two minutes. It's our brief anniversary trip with just the two of us since our trip to DL was with my daughter. We've strolled along the beach (Starbucks in hand), had Mickey waffles at the Disney resort and played corn hole (I won) and bocci ball (Luv won). We sat out at the pool with Bloody Marys, had a great meal at our favorite place here on the island (OMBRA Cucina), and are about to head out to grab some fresh seafood for lunch. Hope all the Groupies are doing well. Will post pics at some point. . .I hope.

Enjoy

Just saw that Neil Patrick Harris is to be the guest narrator at the Candlelight Processional Dec 3, 4, 5 & 6th. I'm not one who will look twice at any celebrity but he's so charming and fun I've always wanted to listen to him narrate the story in person. :) It will be my daughter & I. Any tips on attending?

Last edited:
Just saw that Neil Patrick Harris is to be the guest narrator at the Candlelight Processional Dec 4,5 & 6th. I'm not one who will look twice at any celebrity but he's so charming and fun I've always wanted to listen to him narrate the story in person. :) It will be my daughter & I. Any tips on attending?

He's popular so I'd go ahead with a dining package. Biergarten has become a favorite for us - it's one of the lower cost and includes a show of it's own!

Just saw that Neil Patrick Harris is to be the guest narrator at the Candlelight Processional Dec 3, 4, 5 & 6th. I'm not one who will look twice at any celebrity but he's so charming and fun I've always wanted to listen to him narrate the story in person. :) It will be my daughter & I. Any tips on attending?
No, but I met him once back in L.A. when Doogie Howser was a hit show. He was to be a guest star on the show Win, Lose, or Draw, so he was checking out what would be expected of him when he came on. Yes, I was on that show though not with him. I had Ian Buchanan, Stuart Pankin, Pam Postmen, and Pat Carroll--the year she voiced Ursula!

Last edited:
He's popular so I'd go ahead with a dining package. Biergarten has become a favorite for us - it's one of the lower cost and includes a show of it's own!
I second this! CP itself has become so popular that it’s tough to get into let alone get decent seat. And Biergarten is an excellent choice too. Splurge if you want to see it!

No, but I met him once back in L.A. when Doogie Howser was a hit show. He was to be a guest star on the show Win, Lose, or Draw, so he was checking out what would be expected of him when he came on. Yes, I was on that show though not with him. I had Ian Buchanan, Stuart Pankin, Pam Postmen, and Pat Carroll--the year she voiced Ursula!
1st Harrison Ford now this. What other tricks you got up your sleeve Sly?:goodvibes
Hope you and Luv have a great time!!

Hi Cindy,

I saw this too....and would love to see him narrate. Unfortunately we don’t have plans to visit this December (yet). But I doubt we can swing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter