VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

[QUOTE="jimmytammy, post: 60439001, member: 38700"

I guess what Im getting at is this may have more to do with WDW saving on their insurance than the welfare of their clients. Maybe Im off base [/QUOTE]

Disney is self insured so there is no insurance carrier giving them discounts for policies. Nor does such a thing exist in property and casualty insurance. (Unless there is a weird state insurance dept that allows this but I’ve never heard of it)

A legal product as far as their space is concerned. Many others have respiratory concerns that can be aggravated when someone exercising their legal products causes others to be compromised. If you have ever experienced an asthma attack, you know how scary it is to not be able to breath. If one can keep their smoke within the "Legal Territorial Waters" around themselves, so to speak, I have no issue with smoking either. Maybe those that smoke would consider only inhaling, not exhaling?
My asthma kicks in quickly by certain cigarette brands, types. Yet cigar and pipe smoke doesn't trigger it. Weird!
I am sensitive to smokers as Granny and Dad has pointed out, and the Govt taking away rights from citizens is a slippery slope. But Disney is a private company that has the right to refuse service to anyone not obeying their rules, therefore, I respect their decision. I may not like it, as its another rule to follow, and singles out those with an addiction. Fair not for the smokers, fair those to us who are not and have breathing issues.

My brother is a smoker and I see 1st hand how it affects him at our workplace. Heck, I cant wait for him somedays to get away from our work place and take a smoke!!
Its bad:crutches:

As Pirates mentioned, Disney is self insured, and from that perspective, this may not be a factor. I just know what I know in my own little corner of the world. In other words, I can be narrow minded at times, self prescribed:D

I think I may have sent us on a downward spiral with my post, so lets get
back to our regularly scheduled feel good Lodge Lovers talk:lovestruc

I want to comment on the new rules. I am SO happy about the strollers. That is easily enforceable. You can't get through the turnstiles if you have one of those banned strollers. ;)

The smoking, on the other hand, is going to be much harder to enforce. CMs are discouraged from confronting a guest unless there is imminent danger. The managers (of which there are many levels) are the ones who can (and do) confront the guest. While I don't encourage Disney making it convenient for people to light up, I do wish they would at least keep a designated area or 2 in each park. But evidently Disney doesn't care what I think!! :rotfl:

Well, I have done it. After going years without booking at VWL - we booked at AKV during the construction phases, I have booked two weeks in Feb 2020.

It has been a while since I have hung out much in this chat. I am glad to see many of the members I knew from before still here. It is hard to believe that ten years ago I was on here discussing the perils of teaching my eldest to drive, and now she has grown up, graduated university and is married. Even coming back to the chat feels like home. :)

All that to say that I am looking forward to going home to the lodge.

Well, I have done it. After going years without booking at VWL - we booked at AKV during the construction phases, I have booked two weeks in Feb 2020.

It has been a while since I have hung out much in this chat. I am glad to see many of the members I knew from before still here. It is hard to believe that ten years ago I was on here discussing the perils of teaching my eldest to drive, and now she has grown up, graduated university and is married. Even coming back to the chat feels like home. :)

All that to say that I am looking forward to going home to the lodge.
Welcome back, claire! Yep, the Groupies are still hanging out in our rockers listening to the sound of the crickets and Aaron Copland. You'll notice big changes at the Lodge--not all of them good for my tastes--but it's largely still the lovely, peaceful home it has been through the years. Have a great trip!

Claire_ont You are so right coming back to this group really does feel like Coming Home !

My two cents about the new rules
First Smoking
I never understood why the smoking areas were located in places where most of the public would need to walk through.
Surely they could have found areas a little out of the way that the only reason to go to that location would be to smoke!

Strollers
Sadly most rules are put into effect when kindness, concern for others, and just plain logic are greatly lacking.
Have you ever been getting on a Disney bus with a large group of people and a parent gets on with one of those huge strollers
takes two steps in and then stops expecting all the other people to struggle to get by him to enter the bus!

Still it is a Magical Place :wizard:

Question: One of the things I loved about VWL was the quietness, and the quiet pool, and the rocking chairs by the fireplaces. If I can ask, what (besides the lack of trees) do you notice since Copper Creek has opened. I did do a walk through on my last trip to Disney, I just couldn't wrap my head around what it would be like to stay there. It felt so different. But when I walked in the main lodge and then down the path to the villas, it felt like old times. Is the dumpster view still a room option or did that move? So what has changed besides the change in scenery? Will it feel like the villas or a different resort?

One more question, the coffee makers, are the the pod type or still the basket type?

Last edited:

Question: One of the things I loved about VWL was the quietness, and the quiet pool, and the rocking chairs by the fireplaces. If I can ask, what (besides the lack of trees) do you notice since Copper Creek has opened. I did do a walk through on my last trip to Disney, I just couldn't wrap my head around what it would be like to stay there. It felt so different. But when I walked in the main lodge and then down the path to the villas, it felt like old times. Is the dumpster view still a room option or did that move? So what has changed besides the change in scenery? Will it feel like the villas or a different resort?

One more question, the coffee makers, are the the pod type or still the basket type?
First, the coffee makers. I believe they are now pods--not Keurig pods, but those tea bag looking suckers. We don't do in room coffee since we're snobbish. :snooty: Second, the dumpster still is an option.

Third, the changes due to Copper Creek are harder to assess. The lack of trees is astounding. . .though once you've walked around the Lodge area and cabins a few times, it becomes less disturbing. However, if you get a room on the lake view side, you can now easily see EWP from your balcony. . .and the cabins. Speaking of cabins, they are lovely and certainly add a deluxe feel to the resort. They feel isolated (in a good way), luxurious, and are gorgeous inside. Conversely, the lack of a Signature restaurant, really any place to have an adult-oriented meal, is a huge knock against WL. The new pool, while nicely done, lacks the intimacy and fun of the old Hidden Springs pool. Gone are the bubbles and the wonderful hot tub. In their places you get a typical pool (albeit with zero entry) and the new hot tub has barely any water pressure coming from the few jets it has, so it's more like a dip in a lukewarm bath. Geyser Point: beautiful building and superb location; however, it has an identity crisis as it's part QS, part TS. And its location means that there is no longer any beach area. Speaking of no longer, the nature trail that used to head off behind Teton rentals is long gone. Once you get to the farthest out cabin on the south (VWL) side, there is a fence which you can't get around unless you're willing to slog through the low water and remaining trees. Further, the paved bike path to FW is now also closed either for the next 2-3 years or perhaps permanently due to construction that is due to begin on the next DVC property, Reflections (which thankfully will replace Boulder Ridge as the dumbest name in DVC resorts). I will say that if you stroll from one end of the cabins to the other end, it's quite a long haul (close to 1/3 of a mile), and they are undoubtedly beautiful to look at as you walk along.

Moreover, when we stayed at Copper Creek three weeks ago, while we thought the villas nicely done, we also felt the vibe in the main Lodge lobby changed drastically between roughly 4:30-9:30 p.m. due to the storybook dining meal. The lobby was much noisier and crowded during that time which gave us a tinge of disappointment. Not only is the ambiance of AP gone but so, too, the ambiance of the lobby. . .at least in our view. Still, in terms of the overall serenity of the Lodge, we felt at home. The music is still majestic and hauntingly beautiful. The smells are still there. The fireplaces in the VWL lobby still beckon. Yep, the rockers still sit outside the entrance to VWL. Lanterns flicker, crickets chirrup. Our grand old dame has absorbed hits to her identity, but you'll still find small victories and memories that show she's still proud of her heritage.

Still the 10-12 cup coffee makers.

I've only stayed at CCV since the change but spent some time hanging out at the villas building which inside still was the same. The rest is nice but definitely different.

The rest is nice but definitely different.

Trees grow like weeds in florida, so I'm hoping it's just a few years before we start to feel some of that privacy that was stripped away on the lake side coming back. The pool will never be private again though. I understand those who want the lake view, but it's just water, and to me, when stormy the lake darkens down so much reflecting the sky that it becomes a bit depressing. I much prefer a nice green view of pines.

Last edited:
First, the coffee makers. I believe they are now pods--not Keurig pods, but those tea bag looking suckers. We don't do in room coffee since we're snobbish. :snooty: Second, the dumpster still is an option.

Third, the changes due to Copper Creek are harder to assess. The lack of trees is astounding. . .though once you've walked around the Lodge area and cabins a few times, it becomes less disturbing. However, if you get a room on the lake view side, you can now easily see EWP from your balcony. . .and the cabins. Speaking of cabins, they are lovely and certainly add a deluxe feel to the resort. They feel isolated (in a good way), luxurious, and are gorgeous inside. Conversely, the lack of a Signature restaurant, really any place to have an adult-oriented meal, is a huge knock against WL. The new pool, while nicely done, lacks the intimacy and fun of the old Hidden Springs pool. Gone are the bubbles and the wonderful hot tub. In their places you get a typical pool (albeit with zero entry) and the new hot tub has barely any water pressure coming from the few jets it has, so it's more like a dip in a lukewarm bath. Geyser Point: beautiful building and superb location; however, it has an identity crisis as it's part QS, part TS. And its location means that there is no longer any beach area. Speaking of no longer, the nature trail that used to head off behind Teton rentals is long gone. Once you get to the farthest out cabin on the south (VWL) side, there is a fence which you can't get around unless you're willing to slog through the low water and remaining trees. Further, the paved bike path to FW is now also closed either for the next 2-3 years or perhaps permanently due to construction that is due to begin on the next DVC property, Reflections (which thankfully will replace Boulder Ridge as the dumbest name in DVC resorts). I will say that if you stroll from one end of the cabins to the other end, it's quite a long haul (close to 1/3 of a mile), and they are undoubtedly beautiful to look at as you walk along.

Moreover, when we stayed at Copper Creek three weeks ago, while we thought the villas nicely done, we also felt the vibe in the main Lodge lobby changed drastically between roughly 4:30-9:30 p.m. due to the storybook dining meal. The lobby was much noisier and crowded during that time which gave us a tinge of disappointment. Not only is the ambiance of AP gone but so, too, the ambiance of the lobby. . .at least in our view. Still, in terms of the overall serenity of the Lodge, we felt at home. The music is still majestic and hauntingly beautiful. The smells are still there. The fireplaces in the VWL lobby still beckon. Yep, the rockers still sit outside the entrance to VWL. Lanterns flicker, crickets chirrup. Our grand old dame has absorbed hits to her identity, but you'll still find small victories and memories that show she's still proud of her heritage.

That was so nice to read. Thank you for posting this! We are not going back until 2022 and the plan is to return to BR (it may be the 2nd time we will end up staying there right after a refurb), so I hope it doesn't change too much. When my DD and I visited the lodge in November, we enjoyed taking pictures of all the decorations, checking out the cabins, GP, and reminiscing about other trips, but it wasn't until we walked down the path to the villas and hung out in that quiet lobby that we felt like we had returned home. That's when we decided, next trip we are coming back. I am still upset about the paid parking, but I don't think I can get those intangibles anywhere else.

Third, the changes due to Copper Creek are harder to assess. The lack of trees is astounding. . .though once you've walked around the Lodge area and cabins a few times, it becomes less disturbing. However, if you get a room on the lake view side, you can now easily see EWP from your balcony. . .and the cabins. Speaking of cabins, they are lovely and certainly add a deluxe feel to the resort. They feel isolated (in a good way), luxurious, and are gorgeous inside. Conversely, the lack of a Signature restaurant, really any place to have an adult-oriented meal, is a huge knock against WL. The new pool, while nicely done, lacks the intimacy and fun of the old Hidden Springs pool. Gone are the bubbles and the wonderful hot tub. In their places you get a typical pool (albeit with zero entry) and the new hot tub has barely any water pressure coming from the few jets it has, so it's more like a dip in a lukewarm bath.

Thank-you sleepydog25. I am really looking forward to going back. My last visit I had the dreaded dumpster view, good (?!?) to know that remains an option.

Reflections (which thankfully will replace Boulder Ridge as the dumbest name in DVC resorts)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: LOL - literally

Still, in terms of the overall serenity of the Lodge, we felt at homeThe music is still majestic and hauntingly beautiful. The smells are still there. The fireplaces in the VWL lobby still beckon. Yep, the rockers still sit outside the entrance to VWL. Lanterns flicker, crickets chirrup. Our grand old dame has absorbed hits to her identity, but you'll still find small victories and memories that show she's still proud of her heritage.[/QUOTE]

I love the summary!!

New to this thread as I've just found you, we bought points at CCV after falling in love with it during a stay at BRV in October, we're out (from the UK) for our first CCV stay next week, can't wait.

Helping my excitement by reading through all the threads about the resort :)

New to this thread as I've just found you, we bought points at CCV after falling in love with it during a stay at BRV in October, we're out (from the UK) for our first CCV stay next week, can't wait.

:welcome: Pooh! We're so happy you stumbled across our merry band of Groupies, and we hope you'll check in often! We also like it when folks tell us about their stays at the Lodge whether it's the main guest area, Copper Creek, or VWL (I just can't let go of that name ;)). Since you already found yourself Moosie AND Copper Creek icons, you obviously love the Lodge. Have a fun trip next week, and let us know what you think about our sister resort. (Hint: we love pictures!) pirate:

:welcome: Pooh! We're so happy you stumbled across our merry band of Groupies, and we hope you'll check in often! We also like it when folks tell us about their stays at the Lodge whether it's the main guest area, Copper Creek, or VWL (I just can't let go of that name ;)). Since you already found yourself Moosie AND Copper Creek icons, you obviously love the Lodge. Have a fun trip next week, and let us know what you think about our sister resort. (Hint: we love pictures!) pirate:

Thank you :flower1:

Jo...welcome to our little corner of the internet where we share your excitement about our beloved Lodge and the DVC resorts that are part of it. If you have time, you may want to take the Lodge tour that is free. It provides a lot of detail on the design and background of the Lodge. And you can never know too much about your new home! You are welcome to come chat with us any time, and we look forward to hearing about your stay when you get back home. Enjoy your trip! :)

On my connecting flight head east. Looks like we'll be a few minutes early so I should have no problem getting over to Epcot this evening for the concert and fireworks. Illuminations is on my list a couple of times as it will be my last chance before it becomes a part of Yesterland.

Staying at VGF this trip.

We stayed away from VWL while construction was going on, but we stayed there last December and it felt the same, but maybe a tiny bit better because you could see the lake from the villas on lakeside!

No longer willing to stay away, my girlfriends meet next December is in a two bedroom there!

BE66135B-5064-48EE-90B9-6AA1A5FAB573.jpeg

Jo...welcome to our little corner of the internet where we share your excitement about our beloved Lodge and the DVC resorts that are part of it. If you have time, you may want to take the Lodge tour that is free. It provides a lot of detail on the design and background of the Lodge. And you can never know too much about your new home! You are welcome to come chat with us any time, and we look forward to hearing about your stay when you get back home. Enjoy your trip! :)

Oooh fantastic, thank you :flower:, I didn't know about the Lodge tour, we'll definitely ask about that (at reception I assume). My DS (16) is studying for his GCSEs in May (I don't know the US equivalent, sorry!) so wants some time to chill at the resort and study so we can leave him doing that for a while & take the tour without impacting on his theme park time.

We're looking forward to renting bikes and exploring there, we adored it in October, especially sitting down by the water and feeling so far away from everything yet being so close!

Even more excited now, if that's possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter