VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Oooh fantastic, thank you :flower:, I didn't know about the Lodge tour, we'll definitely ask about that (at reception I assume). My DS (16) is studying for his GCSEs in May (I don't know the US equivalent, sorry!) so wants some time to chill at the resort and study so we can leave him doing that for a while & take the tour without impacting on his theme park time.

We're looking forward to renting bikes and exploring there, we adored it in October, especially sitting down by the water and feeling so far away from everything yet being so close!

Even more excited now, if that's possible.
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bikes are not available to rent for the next little while. . .perhaps as long as three years or more. Disney, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to build yet another DVC resort in between Fort Wilderness and our beloved Lodge. It will be called (cough, cough) Reflections, so there are a lot of humorous posts dotting the DIS about it being a retirement home, rehabilitation center, or a treatment facility. At any rate, the paved path between FW and the Lodge is now "closed for refurbishment." Given the long lead time to starting construction and then the actual build itself, chances are that path won't reopen until perhaps 2022. So much for the wilderness aspect, eh? Now, none of that should particularly impact the Lodge or its overall ambiance except there is no longer a way to get to FW unless you boat, take the bus, or drive. Anyway, I didn't want you to show up and be surprised about the bikes.

On my connecting flight head east. Looks like we'll be a few minutes early so I should have no problem getting over to Epcot this evening for the concert and fireworks. Illuminations is on my list a couple of times as it will be my last chance before it becomes a part of Yesterland.

Staying at VGF this trip.
Have you stayed at VGF? We did once a few years ago and liked it overall, but I'll be curious as to your thoughts. Have fun!

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bikes are not available to rent for the next little while. . .perhaps as long as three years or more. Disney, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to build yet another DVC resort in between Fort Wilderness and our beloved Lodge. It will be called (cough, cough) Reflections, so there are a lot of humorous posts dotting the DIS about it being a retirement home, rehabilitation center, or a treatment facility. At any rate, the paved path between FW and the Lodge is now "closed for refurbishment." Given the long lead time to starting construction and then the actual build itself, chances are that path won't reopen until perhaps 2022. So much for the wilderness aspect, eh? Now, none of that should particularly impact the Lodge or its overall ambiance except there is no longer a way to get to FW unless you boat, take the bus, or drive. Anyway, I didn't want you to show up and be surprised about the bikes.

Have you stayed at VGF? We did once a few years ago and liked it overall, but I'll be curious as to your thoughts. Have fun!

Ahh what a shame! Thank you for the heads up.

On my connecting flight head east. Looks like we'll be a few minutes early so I should have no problem getting over to Epcot this evening for the concert and fireworks. Illuminations is on my list a couple of times as it will be my last chance before it becomes a part of Yesterland.

Staying at VGF this trip.

Okay, count me in the group that is still amazed that you wake up in your own bed at home and before the day is over you are hanging out at EPCOT! It always seems surreal to me, and even more so from our Groupies who live so far from WDW! Have an awesome trip...we can't wait to hear about it. :)

I didn't know about the Lodge tour, we'll definitely ask about that (at reception I assume).

Yes, you can inquire at Guest Services (at the end of the registration desk near Bell Services). One of the Rangers will guide the group (usually only a few people) around the lobby and answer any questions you may have. Sounds like the Lodge area will be a perfect one for you to kick back and relax a bit.

:teeth:

Bike trail will probably be closed even longer if they build my perpetually speculated “Everafter” “resort” where you can have your remains interned adjacent to Reflections. :teeth:

Anyhow, I have been busy catching up on the thread, frankly I was so depressed about not being in WDW for Spring Break that I couldn’t bring myself to login. But, I did do one interesting thing over the break. On our staycation we did go to the Mall of America and try the “Fly Over America” attraction which I knew was Soarin’ like so I was avoiding it. Happy to report it was actually better than Soarin’ which means I no longer have to choose anything other than Test Track on Epcot days. There were actually 2 films, one on America and one on Canada. And, you could stay in your seat and watch them back to back! Unlimited for the day was only $1 more so we watched both films twice. The ride mechanics were superior due to enhanced wind and smell effects. Sadly it cost $80 for 3 of us, but still it was enjoying.

Happy to see new folks on here! I am happy to read live reports & excitement of upcoming plans! Keep the pictures coming!

This question might be premature, but was wondering if there is any info about how the new DVC Reflections might impact the water view from GP area. I'm not that aware of where River Country started and ended. Is this something that will significantly impact the sight lines/view along the shore and water from GP area? Looking out to Bay Lake without other structures in sight from GP is my favorite part of Wilderness Lodge. Perhaps too early to know?

This question might be premature, but was wondering if there is any info about how the new DVC Reflections might impact the water view from GP area. I'm not that aware of where River Country started and ended. Is this something that will significantly impact the sight lines/view along the shore and water from GP area? Looking out to Bay Lake without other structures in sight from GP is my favorite part of Wilderness Lodge. Perhaps too early to know?

The River Country area really isn't visible from Wilderness Lodge. And even when Reflections is built, it will not impact the sight lines/view any more than Contemporary Resort/BLT. The resort will be almost a mile from GP so I don't think it will mess up the view of Bay Lake as you enjoy sitting at Geyser Point.

Agree with Granny: there shouldn't be any sight line issues with Reflections, though I'm sure you'll be able to actually see the resort once it's built. There could be some noise issues as heavy equipment moves about from time to time. Ironically, I had these same feelings when they started building Copper Creek. In that case, sight lines and views were impacted. In truth, I still miss the dozens upon dozens of trees they took down to put up the, admittedly, lovely looking cabins. Hoping to get a room at VWL that either overlooked the old Hidden Springs pool or that offered a glimpse of the lake through said trees was actually one of those fun, anticipatory experiences to which I looked forward each trip. I enjoyed standing on the beach at sunrise or walking hand in hand with Luv at night and hearing the boat horns. The nature trail disappeared, too, which still pains me to this day. With the bike trail also closed indefinitely, I'm missing some of that "wilderness" feel.

All that to say, Reflections will cause (already has caused) some upheaval; I'm hopeful eventually that wilderness will still be a large part of the small corner of the planet we call "our beloved Lodge."

Agree with Granny: there shouldn't be any sight line issues with Reflections, though I'm sure you'll be able to actually see the resort once it's built. There could be some noise issues as heavy equipment moves about from time to time. Ironically, I had these same feelings when they started building Copper Creek. In that case, sight lines and views were impacted. In truth, I still miss the dozens upon dozens of trees they took down to put up the, admittedly, lovely looking cabins. Hoping to get a room at VWL that either overlooked the old Hidden Springs pool or that offered a glimpse of the lake through said trees was actually one of those fun, anticipatory experiences to which I looked forward each trip. I enjoyed standing on the beach at sunrise or walking hand in hand with Luv at night and hearing the boat horns. The nature trail disappeared, too, which still pains me to this day. With the bike trail also closed indefinitely, I'm missing some of that "wilderness" feel.

All that to say, Reflections will cause (already has caused) some upheaval; I'm hopeful eventually that wilderness will still be a large part of the small corner of the planet we call "our beloved Lodge."
Thx Granny and Sleepy. Now I can put that out of my mind and go back to campaigning for a coffee bar or house at Reunion Station.

Thx Granny and Sleepy. Now I can put that out of my mind and go back to campaigning for a coffee bar or house at Reunion Station.
Great idea!! :worship: That would bring in money. Heck, Luv and I alone would just about be able to pay for their existence! I loved the coffee bar they had in Territory Lounge a couple of times over the past two years. What a smart idea! I'm definitely emailing the manager. It can't hurt!

Happy Friday! I know I can't be the only teacher out there that loves this day more than any other! :rolleyes: The kids are so ready for spring break, and I'm ready for them to have it! Throw in a field trip this week, and I'm ready to have some peace this weekend. I just made a VWL reservation on the fly. It's one of those, I might use it reservations. I was not thinking that I would run the Princess Half Marathon again next year, but I realized that next year's race is actually the start of our Mardi Gras holiday from school. I wouldn't have to take much time off to go at all. Then, I just happened to check to see if a studio was still available and it was. I figured that if I had any prayer of having a DVC room on Princess Half Marathon/Mardi Gras break week, I might as well go ahead and book it just in case. Registration is not until June for the race, so I have a little time to decide. Not sure I'll bother to tell anybody in the family that I actually made a reservation. It was with 2020 points (so not borrowed), and I guess I'll just cancel if we change our mind about registering. I'd like to try the Wine and Dine race someday (I like the race course), but being in the middle of high school football season would make it so difficult. I guess I'll have to save that one for when I get DD16 graduated and I'm "retired."

I'm not a coffee drinker, but DH would drink it if it were available. They need to do something worthwhile with that space.

Love the pics of Ranger Stan. :love: Are they still doing flag families anymore? Our experience as flag family ranks up there with having the corner room on the 5th floor for Christmas at the Lodge. Someday I'm going to the do the tour. So much to do at the world that I never get done. If we do the February trip, I may make it a no parks trip (if the pull of Star Wars Land doesn't do me in).

Happy Friday! I know I can't be the only teacher out there that loves this day more than any other! :rolleyes: The kids are so ready for spring break, and I'm ready for them to have it! Throw in a field trip this week, and I'm ready to have some peace this weekend. I just made a VWL reservation on the fly. It's one of those, I might use it reservations. I was not thinking that I would run the Princess Half Marathon again next year, but I realized that next year's race is actually the start of our Mardi Gras holiday from school. I wouldn't have to take much time off to go at all. Then, I just happened to check to see if a studio was still available and it was. I figured that if I had any prayer of having a DVC room on Princess Half Marathon/Mardi Gras break week, I might as well go ahead and book it just in case. Registration is not until June for the race, so I have a little time to decide. Not sure I'll bother to tell anybody in the family that I actually made a reservation. It was with 2020 points (so not borrowed), and I guess I'll just cancel if we change our mind about registering. I'd like to try the Wine and Dine race someday (I like the race course), but being in the middle of high school football season would make it so difficult. I guess I'll have to save that one for when I get DD16 graduated and I'm "retired."

I'm not a coffee drinker, but DH would drink it if it were available. They need to do something worthwhile with that space.

Love the pics of Ranger Stan. :love: Are they still doing flag families anymore? Our experience as flag family ranks up there with having the corner room on the 5th floor for Christmas at the Lodge. Someday I'm going to the do the tour. So much to do at the world that I never get done. If we do the February trip, I may make it a no parks trip (if the pull of Star Wars Land doesn't do me in).
You are NOT the only teacher who loves Fridays! I overreached this year and am not only teaching but coaching girls varsity tennis AND doing the spring high school production (CLUE based on the movie that is based on the game). I love Fridays.

No, they aren't doing flag families any longer. I'm sure they felt the "cost," minimal though it was, wasn't worth it. Save a few dollars, you know.
Do it Sleepy . . . Do it!
I will!
Thinking of purchasing. Let me know what makes it great and what you love! Thanks!
:welcome: Mariabelle! Are you thinking of purchasing VWL (what they now call BRV) or Copper Creek? Though at the same resort (Wilderness Lodge), they're two separate entities. The primary differences are that the new Copper Creek contracts don't run out for another 50 years or so while VWL expires in 2042, and CC rooms are found in the main Lodge with VWL suites in the adjunct building. The following comments are about the Lodge, in general, unless noted otherwise.
- Majestic lobby: the main lobby is simply amazing, and the VWL mini-lobby ain't bad, either.
- Stirring music: strains of Aaron Copland, westerns, and Native American compositions--sometimes haunting, always relaxing
- Ambiance: quiet, serene, and beautiful unlike most other resorts
- Theming: again, unlike most resorts, you still get a feeling of being in a special place, specifically the Northwest
- Smell: unmistakable scent that resonates long after you've left
- Boats: you can ride over to MK, CR, or FW on a boat!
- Holiday reservations: most will tell you that no place feels more like the holidays than WL; owning at either CC or VWL means you get to reserve there at 11 months

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Others will surely chime in. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter