Vwl never again

I had the same problem with VWL. We purchased groceries and dropped them off up front. Valet took them and placed them into storage and THEN we had to get bell services to bring them up.

The ice cream was totally melted so I gave the bellman the box as a tip. He got pissed and I explain what a pain the whole Valet/Bellman thing was to guest. I think he understood then.

I tip $2 per bag to get up to my room. I split it 25/75 for the valet/bellman.

I love it when the valet says that I will not see him again. I then give him a hug and no tip.

I had the same problem with VWL. We purchased groceries and dropped them off up front. Valet took them and placed them into storage and THEN we had to get bell services to bring them up.

The ice cream was totally melted so I gave the bellman the box as a tip. He got pissed and I explain what a pain the whole Valet/Bellman thing was to guest. I think he understood then.

I love it when the valet says that I will not see him again. I then give him a hug and no tip.

ouch :(

Actually we've never returned to VWL because they put us in a room with no closet or safe. People have assured me that not all WL villas are like this so we might try again, just not sure when.

Wow.

If you need the groceries to be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, i think you should have mentioned that.

Wow.

If you need the groceries to be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, i think you should have mentioned that.
Agree. Further, going so far as to give a "tip" to the bellman consisting of a melted box of ice cream lacks grace both in terms of maturity and in regards to the fact that he wasn't the person responsible in the first place. Further, if a valet or bellman ever tells me "you won't see me again," I take it as face value that he/she is merely trying to make a living. I feel no need to relish in flippant behavior; if I feel put upon to tip, then I won't. Otherwise, I give them one knowing that a few dollars to that person means more to him/her than it does to me spread out over the course of a vacation.

Wow.

Agreed.

It's funny. I've had a few moments like this myself. Once I calm down, I realize that it's usually my behavior or expectations that just needed a slight adjusting.

But something simple like this. Tell them it needs to be put in a freezer. Or better yet... take the ice cream out and take it to the room yourself.

I mean it's almost like you were setting yourself up for a problem so you could then take out all your frustrations onto the poor guy that brought the stuff up to you. :confused3

Let me clarify....

I wasnt miffed about the policy...i can understand policy but this was just a complete dis regard for Customer Service IMHO

To have 3 Bell Service men stand there and watch me with my bags is just absurd to me forget about being in WDW I get better bell Service anywhere else i travel. Remember Travel is a customer service industry. If you have a bad customer service experience are you likely to go back.

The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service

It wasnt busy there was actually no one else unloading at that time.

Yes the resort was nice and seemed relaxing and was actually my second stay there. I may have just been miffed at the time but for the cost per night i feel there are better places to stay i.e. OKW i was driven to my room on a golf cart my bags were brought into my room with me there, i was given a tour of the property and he brought my bags in the room and then asked if there was anything else i needed. That was customer service and deserving of a nice tip

Again this is just my opinion and for the person that stated not everywhere is like home, you are right i dont expect NJ in WDW but thats what i got

Let me clarify....

I wasnt miffed about the policy...i can understand policy but this was just a complete dis regard for Customer Service IMHO

To have 3 Bell Service men stand there and watch me with my bags is just absurd to me forget about being in WDW I get better bell Service anywhere else i travel. Remember Travel is a customer service industry. If you have a bad customer service experience are you likely to go back.

The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service

Yes the resort was nice and seemed relaxing and was actually my second stay there. I may have just been miffed at the time but for the cost per night i feel there are better places to stay i.e. OKW i was driven to my room on a golf cart my bags were brought into my room with me there, i was given a tour of the property and he brought my bags in the room and then asked if there was anything else i needed. That was customer service and deserving of a nice tip

Again this is just my opinion and for the person that stated not everywhere is like home, you are right i dont expect NJ in WDW but thats what i got
I do understand your frustrations, and your other reasons for preferring another if you feel the costs are better, though that wasn't stated in your original reasoning for never staying at VWL again. I would point out that also in your original post, you said you told the valet manager that the policy was "stupid." That qualifies as miffed. Further, not to beat a dead horse, but after saying the policy was stupid, according to your own words, you then said, "we'll do it ourselves." I'm guessing you didn't say it pleasantly.

I would like to think that were I the valet manager, I would have swallowed my pride at being told a policy was stupid (over which I had no control) then being brusquely treated with "I'll do it myself" comment, and proceeded to actually help you with your bags. However, I'm not sure I could. It helps to keep in mind that everyone has bad days, including valets and luggage handlers. We all have bad days, but we're most dismayed when someone has one the day we interact with them. It does sound as though you had wonderful service at OKW--I hope they continue to meet your standards. :thumbsup2

Not true for us. We spend a lot of time at the resorts and we really like to stay in a 1 bedroom - that is why we joined. As far as customer service, Disney is probably better then most given the large number of employees but I bet everyone who has been going for years can write about bad experiences with different CMs/staff we have encountered. It all works out as long as the good outweighs the bad.

Let me clarify....

Valet Mgr: Only a bellman can use the luggage cart
Me: OK do you have one available?
Valet Mgr: Yes but you have to store your bags
Me: But my room is ready now and i am going directly to my room. Why would i store and check my bags when i am going directly to my room?
Valet Mgr: unfortunately that is the only way we do it here
Me: Well in NJ where i am from that is stupid, i will just do it myself

You told him the policy was stupid and that you would do it yourself. Clearly you were probably displaying some frustration and anger. I probably wouldn't have attempted to "bother" you again either.

The fact they watched you make these 3 trips doesn't phase me either. Some people would rather carry their own bags, than pay someone to bring them to the room.

You had a bad experience and for that I'm sorry. But it sounds like the process just wasn't communicated clearly.

...The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service...

I have to disagree with this one. I have experienced the worst customer service of my life at Disney World and usually encounter one or two surly CMs per visit, who treat me poorly regardless of any provocation from me. I go back for the atmosphere, the walking, the food and the attractions. Let's face it, there are plenty of jerks in the world and it stands to reason that, as large as Disney is, they will end up employing some of them. Unfortunately, I have had to learn how to handle these unpleasant situations when they come up and even though I am somewhat prepared, it can still come as a shock. Sorry you have been introduced to the world of the surly CM and I hate to say it but it will probably happen again. That said, I wouldn't be indignant about the valet manager not helping me after I told him I would do it myself.

Terri

Tell them it needs to be put in a freezer. Or better yet... take the ice cream out and take it to the room yourself.
That's what we do. We grab the frozen food and dairy items and take them up to the room ourselves so that they go right into the refrigerator. We let Bell Services bring up everything else.

Do you know he sat there with 3 bellman and watch me and my father make 3 trips with bags.
I'm not sure what you expected them to do after you said "I will just do it myself". Perhaps they were concerned that if they approached you and asked if they could help you, you might blow a fuse. There have been many reports here about guests having a meltdown for one reason or another. It is usually at the front desk when they don't get the exact room they requested, but I'm sure valet and bell services get their share too. Perhaps they are trained to back off in these situations to avoid a possible escalation.

If you changed your mind and really wanted help after all, all you had to do was tell them "Hey, I guess I could use some help." and I'm sure they would have provided it.

:thumbsup2
Not true for us. We spend a lot of time at the resorts and we really like to stay in a 1 bedroom - that is why we joined. As far as customer service, Disney is probably better then most given the large number of employees but I bet everyone who has been going for years can write about bad experiences with different CMs/staff we have encountered. It all works out as long as the good outweighs the bad.

True

The luggage carts are left by the parking garage/elevator for guests to use in Vero Beach. So this has more to do with the tipping of valet/bell services than any Disney policy regarding insurance. I would have been annoyed too.

Let me clarify....

As I tried to convey, we weren't there and I understand there are nuances that make or break such issues. However, I understood from the OP that they did offer to care for the luggage but couldn't agree to your terms of car to room directly. I also got the impression your first request was to use the carts yourself. From a technical standpoint and if these impressions are correct, I can find no fault in the approach that was taken.

That may be your personal feeling and expectation but I see it as both inaccurate and an unreasonable expectation. To me, DVC is simply a nice timeshare that happens to be located on WDW property. I'm not sure you could even say that about GF or YC, 2 top end options with no DVC (at least for now). I also find I tend to get better service and response at about any other timeshare I stay at than DVC. Not that DVC is bad but that the others care more about what the individual guest thinks and reacts accordingly.

The luggage carts are left by the parking garage/elevator for guests to use in Vero Beach. So this has more to do with the tipping of valet/bell services than any Disney policy regarding insurance. I would have been annoyed too.
Sure it is, does it matter? The option is to do away with both options completely or to charge for them directly and specifically. Personally I prefer the have user carts and no valet or bell services but I realize not everyone shares that feeling. You can't have it both ways and that's from someone who has a phobia related to other people messing with their things. We don't valet or use bell services if we don't have to and it's not a financial thing for us, it's an "I'm not comfortable with it" thing.

"VWL never again"? The OP made the decision without commenting on the resort itself... it is literally judging a book by its cover. To the OP, have you seen and commented on the beach, walkways, wilderness atmosphere, camp fire with marshmallow, romantic boat ride, etc? Nope... you never want to do it again because the check in process did not go very smoothly. :rolleyes1

VWL is one of the most relaxing resorts in my opinion, great for vacations.

No, no, no... This is good. The less people that like VWL the better. This makes it much easier for the rest of us to book what we want when we want.

I'm in agreement with the person starting this thread that received bad service. I am on vacation DANG IT! I demand and, frankly, I expect good service or you will get NO tip of any kind and I make it known why you don't get a tip.

However; because I am on vacation :thumbsup2, I will take advantage of every op not to carry my junk and don't care when the room is ready. We always drive (we have flown in to Orlando and used ME once) and I always valet park and pay the guys to unload the car. When we do get the room I call and have the bags sent up. We always have a carry on bag with the necessary stuff for the day of arrival so we are not dependent on the big bags of stuff. Most of the time when we arrive we hit the pool for the remainder of the day (if we stay at OKW we hit the boats to DTD) so we don't need the other stuff anyways.

That being said... I will tip, I hate doing it but it is a necessary part of the process. I worked in a hotel when I was in high school and I can tell you there is joy in helping people (even if they don't want it) and getting a nice tip for it. If you refuse to tip (I mean for good service) then stay at the motel 6 for God's sake.

You are on vacation.
You are in the entertainment capital of the world, You are at WALT DISNEY WORLD! Be on vacation. Bring the extra cash needed to tip the people that are there to help you. LET THEM HELP! You go and enjoy your family time and let them schlep the junk for you.

My two cents. Sorry if it is offensive. Not mint to be. :confused3

Let's just say my trip was less than magical at the VWL this past week for several reasons.

1. upon arrival we did not expect to have our 2 Villas ready since we were there early and typically they are not ready until early afternoon and it was 11AM. So we collect our box of stuff that we shipped down and get on a bus to Epcot(even though we had a car....Dont ask) We are not even off the WL property and get a text that our rooms are ready when we were specifically told they would not be ready until 3.

2. Upon return from Epcot i get my min-van with all our bags as my wife and father get the keys to the villas. I pull up in the vallet area and start to unload the car...valet comes over and says...

Valet Mgr: Only a bellman can use the luggage cart
Me: OK do you have one available?
Valet Mgr: Yes but you have to store your bags
Me: But my room is ready now and i am going directly to my room. Why would i store and check my bags when i am going directly to my room?
Valet Mgr: unfortunately that is the only way we do it here

Do you know he sat there with 3 bellman and watch me and my father make 3 trips with bags. I received a White Chocolate Donald later that day wishing me a Magical experience, becasue i guess someone overheard what was going on but the damage was done. In any event i will go back only to see the beautiful christmas decorations and to eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe but i will not stay there again.

Again this is just my experience and it does not necessarily reflect the true spirit of the resort but i am going back to BWV

I don't need to read the entire thread to share my opinion:

Your response was rude, classless, and ignorant. It is truly shameful to hear that you treated a cast member that way.

Your reasons to not return are entirely baseless.

That is the policy at ALL resorts I have visited, and ALL world-class hotels that employ bell staff that provide to the room luggage service.

Positions with bell services EVERYWHERE are hourly+gratuity positions.
They had EVERY right to stand there and watch you unload your vehicle - all you had to do was check your bags, go to your room, pick up the phone and ask they be delivered. That's it. That's all you had to do. In the time you spent making multiple trips back and forth, they could have had your bags out of your vehicle, and to your room.

This is a hospitality industry standard. Definitely not a "new" policy.

If they took you directly to your room, then depending on the number of arrivals - there wouldn't be ANYONE at bell services, they would all be out delivering luggage to rooms.

It is never OK to treat someone with such disrespect for absolutely no reason.

The only DVC resort that I can recall visiting that has guest use luggage carts is Hilton Head Island, and they are VERY different than the standard luggage cart.

OP, you should be ashamed of your behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter