"Wait, we get free refills?!" A Dec. 2013 dining review! update 6/30 TiW

Okay, I suddenly want to go to Norway not to meet the Princesses, not to try the faux-Norwegian food (although yay to your friend from Norway liking it- that's pretty promising about the menu (last time I ate there, the Princesses had JUST invaded; I was worried they might have Americanized things too much since then)), but to get that cocktail you ordered. That sounds right up my alley. Oh, and I'd take the frozen one and the magical star one too, just because. Cheers!

Love your report!! Really like the looks of Liberty Tree Tavern might have to add that to my ever growing list xx

I definitely recommend it!

Following!

Welcome aboard!

Okay, I suddenly want to go to Norway not to meet the Princesses, not to try the faux-Norwegian food (although yay to your friend from Norway liking it- that's pretty promising about the menu (last time I ate there, the Princesses had JUST invaded; I was worried they might have Americanized things too much since then)), but to get that cocktail you ordered. That sounds right up my alley. Oh, and I'd take the frozen one and the magical star one too, just because. Cheers!

Yes, the cocktails were great! They need to set up a stand outside of Akershus where you can get them. Right now the only alcohol you can really find in Norway without going in the restaurant is beer and aquavit shots.

Nice review of the Princess Dinner. I don't think my DH would every want to eat there, but maybe on a future trip with just girls it would be fun to try.

Nice review of the Princess Dinner. I don't think my DH would every want to eat there, but maybe on a future trip with just girls it would be fun to try.

We did the breakfast there on a girls trip and it was a lot of fun! That's a good way to do it.

Yak and Yeti Counter Service

During our Animal Kingdom day, we decided to have our lunch at the Yak and Yeti Counter Service location. DH and I had eaten here before and we'd had a good experience. None of the other CS locations in AK really have any appeal, so it seemed like a good option.

DH got the Honey Chicken (Tempura Chicken, Carrots, Broccoli, Honey Sauce, and White Rice):

He said it was "fine." The major problem with this is the fact that it's served in a Chinese take out container, and they don't give you a plate or anything. So all of the rice is on the bottom and the chicken is on the top, so it's really difficult to mix it up, especially when you first start eating it. Other than that though the flavor was fine and it was a decent lunch. DH gave it a 6 out of 10.

PP and I both got the Asian Chicken Sandwich (Served on Ciabatta bread with Sun Chips):

This is probably the worst thing I've ever eaten in Disney. I will admit that I was not expecting a prepackaged sandwich. I had imagined an actual chicken breast, not deli meat. And the description said it was on ciabatta bread - this is not like any ciabatta I've ever had before. Aside from not being a good bread like it was supposed to, the bread was soggy and nasty. It seemed like it was a sandwich that was sitting out from the day before. It had very little flavor and the bread was just so gross I couldn't even eat it. I ate maybe half the sandwich. And the chips. But seriously, look at that picture and tell me that anyone would pay $10 for that, even at Disney? I have to give it a 1 out of 10.

The other thing that was a bit unfortunate about eating here was the outside eating area was just overrun with ducks and birds. I know that happens in several places in Disney, but this was just worse than I'd ever seen before. They are definitely obnoxious while you're eating!

Sadly, overall I will give Yak and Yeti just a 3 out of 10, and that's generous - if I hadn't enjoyed lunch here once before it wouldn't even be that high. AK needs some better CS options. Y&Y used to be what I recommend but I wouldn't any more: or at the very least not that sandwich!

Following along and loving your reviews!

I loved Akershus when we went there in 2010 for lunch. But now my boys don't want anything to do with princesses so we haven't been back. It's so pricey to justify the cost since they really aren't interested in meeting the princesses. I know a lot of people would disagree, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't have the princesses there anymore just so the price would come down and we could go just for the food.

I can't wait to read more of your reviews! :)

Boooo! I wanted to try Yak and Yeti and now I don't. Reminds me of the awful experience we had at Lotus Blossum Cafe--yuck!

Following along and loving your reviews!

I loved Akershus when we went there in 2010 for lunch. But now my boys don't want anything to do with princesses so we haven't been back. It's so pricey to justify the cost since they really aren't interested in meeting the princesses. I know a lot of people would disagree, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't have the princesses there anymore just so the price would come down and we could go just for the food.

I can't wait to read more of your reviews! :)

I do feel you - it would be nice to just have the food at Akershus without the princesses and the price that comes with them. I would love it if maybe lunch didn't have princesses but dinner/breakfast did, so you still had the option for both!

Boooo! I wanted to try Yak and Yeti and now I don't. Reminds me of the awful experience we had at Lotus Blossum Cafe--yuck!

If you do try Y&Y I would just stick with the more Asian style food. Just don't get the sandwich!! Or maybe I just got a bad batch, who knows. I had decent food at the Lotus Blossom once, so I guess you never know!

I do feel you - it would be nice to just have the food at Akershus without the princesses and the price that comes with them. I would love it if maybe lunch didn't have princesses but dinner/breakfast did, so you still had the option for both!!

I love that idea! An a la carte lunch menu without characters would be so nice. We would definitely take advantage! Oh well, I could only dream. Akershus is such a popular meal I don't think they would ever change any of the three to not include princesses.

I used to really yak and yeti but when we were ther in January it was gross. All of it, the rice the eggrolls. Sorry it was bad for you.

I love that idea! An a la carte lunch menu without characters would be so nice. We would definitely take advantage! Oh well, I could only dream. Akershus is such a popular meal I don't think they would ever change any of the three to not include princesses.

Yeah, I'm sure they won't pass up the chance to make as much $$ as possible! I also wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a Frozen character meal - and then reservations will be pretty much impossible to get!

I used to really yak and yeti but when we were ther in January it was gross. All of it, the rice the eggrolls. Sorry it was bad for you.

Sorry to hear it was bad for you too. Sounds like it's gone downhill for some reason!

Enjoying your report, thanks for sharing

Thanks for following along!

Rainforest Cafe

PP's choice for our Animal Kingdom day was the Rainforest Cafe. Definitely not at the top of my list, but I can understand the kitsch-y appeal to someone going to Disney for the first time!

We were seated next to the fish tank, which is cool with me since I like aquariums and fish!

We started by ordering drinks. PP and I decided to go with "fun" drinks, while DH had the boring old water ;) PP got the Blue Nile and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the green python (Putting the squeeze on you, this one constricts with Skyy Citrus Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, Malibu Coconut Rum, 99 Bananas Liqueur, sweet & sour and pineapple juice):

It was definitely a yummy drink. And sadly, I'm a sucker for a souvenir cup. But next time I must say no to the light up cup, because I paid almost $16 for that drink! It was tasty, but even including the cup nowhere near worth the cost. Drinks at Rainforest Cafe are really expensive. Even if you ask for it without the souvenir cup, I believe you're paying $11 or $12.

To begin our meal, the three of us decided to split an appetizer of the Lava Nachos (A hot favorite from south of the border! Crispy tri-color tortilla chips topped with seasoned ground beef, peppers and onions, black beans, corn and queso sauce. Garnished with green onions, Cheddar cheese, sour cream and pico de gallo.) :

These were good. But the thing is, I expected them to be just like the nachos at TREX, since the description is basically the same and they're owned by the same company. DH and I have had the nachos at TREX before and really loved them - some of the best nachos we ever had! But here, they were just good, not great. I don't know what the difference was - I'd say there was just not enough "stuff on them" - not enough cheese and salsa. They were fine, certainly not bad, just nothing amazing. I'd give them a 7 out of 10.

For his meal, PP couldn't resist the Mojo Bones (A full rack of slow-roasted spareribs, St. Louis style, basted with our Smokin’ Mojo BBQ sauce and served with Safari fries and coleslaw):

He was very hungry and this was a huge portion, which he enjoyed. I wasn't able to get a lot of comments about the food from him, but at least I got pictures for you all :thumbsup2

DH had the Steak and Lobster:

He said it was delicious, but "exactly what you'd expect." So I think by that he means that there was nothing super special or unusual about it, but he definitely enjoyed it a lot. He rated it an 8 out of 10, though he said technically it's an "8+" because it's the Rainforest Cafe and a fun atmosphere.

I went for the Pastalaya (Shrimp, sautéed chicken breast, bell peppers, onions and Andouille sausage tossed in a hot and Spicy Cajun sauce and served over linguini.
Only for the truly adventurous!):

I enjoyed this. Again, it was a huge portion, served with a big piece of bread. It was definitely spicy, but not too much for me (and the waiter did warn me ahead of time, which is always nice). I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Overall the Rainforest Cafe gets rated a 7.5 out of 10. Everything we had there was good, but nothing was super great or amazingly special. And even in Disney it just feels so overpriced. The atmosphere is fun but overall we prefer TREX.

Green Python: $15.49
Blue Nile: $8.99
Nachos: $16.49
Pastalaya: $21.99
Steak and Lobster: $26.99
Mojo Bones: $27.99

Total Including tax before tip: $125.60

No Tables in Wonderland here, so no discount.

Love your reviews.

Ok nosy...er...I mean inquiring minds want to know since your PP had "insider information"....What are the Princesses like behind the scenes? :rotfl2:

Love your reviews.

Ok nosy...er...I mean inquiring minds want to know since your PP had "insider information"....What are the Princesses like behind the scenes? :rotfl2:

Thanks! I love your username, by the way :)

Basically, from what I could gather, is that they are rather... un-princess-like. They sometimes go from being all happy and smiling "onstage" to going into the back and smiles immediately disappearing, complaining about stuff, etc. I guess it would be very weird to see one of the princesses in a bad mood!

Thanks! I love your username, by the way :)

Basically, from what I could gather, is that they are rather... un-princess-like. They sometimes go from being all happy and smiling "onstage" to going into the back and smiles immediately disappearing, complaining about stuff, etc. I guess it would be very weird to see one of the princesses in a bad mood!

Thanks, I'm actually a public librarian. I was shocked :-)lmao:) the name wasn't taken! I love your name too ;)

I figured as much re: The Princesses They are actors, after all.

The best Princess interaction we had was with Jasmine. She was with Aladdin and the two of them really worked well together. My DD was in a dresses only phase and I had a little chat with Jasmine to talk about the virtues of pants with DD and it worked to get her to wear pants, at least for a while. Ahhh, the power of the Princesses over little girls :scratchin

I'm following along! It's always interesting to see what people from another country think of our traditions with food. Mmmm the pic of the Pastalaya from Rainforest has me hungry, I always order that when we go.

Thanks, I'm actually a public librarian. I was shocked :-)lmao:) the name wasn't taken! I love your name too ;)

I figured as much re: The Princesses They are actors, after all.

The best Princess interaction we had was with Jasmine. She was with Aladdin and the two of them really worked well together. My DD was in a dresses only phase and I had a little chat with Jasmine to talk about the virtues of pants with DD and it worked to get her to wear pants, at least for a while. Ahhh, the power of the Princesses over little girls :scratchin

Nice! I'm a public librarian as well, mostly doing behind the scenes stuff for the children's department.

That is too funny about the Jasmine story! Amazing that it worked! :rotfl2:

I'm following along! It's always interesting to see what people from another country think of our traditions with food. Mmmm the pic of the Pastalaya from Rainforest has me hungry, I always order that when we go.

Welcome! It has me hungry looking at it now too, since I'm on a diet and not eating much pasta (which is one of my favorite foods ever!)

Since I told you on Facebook I've been following your TR, I figured I'd actually comment :thumbsup2 You've made Yak & Yeti my #1 want to try counter service - DF always insists on Pizzafari! Can't wait for more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter