"Wait, we get free refills?!" A Dec. 2013 dining review! update 6/30 TiW

Since I told you on Facebook I've been following your TR, I figured I'd actually comment :thumbsup2 You've made Yak & Yeti my #1 want to try counter service - DF always insists on Pizzafari! Can't wait for more!

Have you tried the Yak and Yeti sit down? We really enjoyed that!

Are you still going to update your DL TR? I'm going to check it out now since DH and I are hoping to get to DL for the first time next year!

ABC Commissary

For lunch we decided on ABC Commissary. Mostly because it was in the area and open early - we didn't have breakfast so we were ready for lunch around 11. And I think the food, while nothing special, is good there.

It was pretty empty, and we had our choice of seats. I decided we should sit by the display of costumes from Once upon a Time, one of my favorite TV shows!

For my meal I had the seafood basket with fries, which consisted of breaded fried fish and fried shrimp, and fries:

Pretty much your standard sort of counter service meal. I liked that you could get fish and shrimp so it was at least a little variety. It was good, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect, so I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. If you're looking for a decent fried meal then this is what you want.

DH and PP both had the Bacon cheeseburger with fries:

Again, not too much to say about it other than your standard counter service meal. They liked it well enough and it did the job. Only real downside was those Disney buns that fall apart halfway through when you're eating it! Nothing at all memorable, but again, if you just want a burger and fries it will do the trick. DH gave it a 7 out of 10.

We also ordered a large Coke Zero to share between the two of us. I liked that I could get Coke Zero at Disney since that's my soda of choice. All in all ABC Commissary gets a 7 out of 10. Absolutely nothing memorable or special about it, but if you're just looking to get some typical food in your belly while touring the theme park then this will get you covered!

Seafood basket: $9.49
Bacon Cheeseburger: $9.39
Large Coke Zero: $3.19

Tax: $1.43

Total: $23.50

ABC is pretty standard!

We haven't tried the Yak & Yeti sit-down, though I definitely want to. DF is a self-described "plain eater" and tends to stick to pretty American fare, so we hardly ever get Asian food even at home. He has, however, agreed to join me in my quest to eat at every WDW eatery, so someday that will change :thumbsup2

I do need to finish my DL TR! Wedding planning and real life have drawn so much attention away from it, but it is important to me to finish it (we were on that trip when the Boston Marathon bombing happened, and being from Boston it completely changed the day for us, so I do want to honor that time by finishing it). Let me know if you have questions! You can definitely count on making rope drop at DL at least the first few days, thanks to being on East Coast time in California.

ABC is pretty standard!

We haven't tried the Yak & Yeti sit-down, though I definitely want to. DF is a self-described "plain eater" and tends to stick to pretty American fare, so we hardly ever get Asian food even at home. He has, however, agreed to join me in my quest to eat at every WDW eatery, so someday that will change :thumbsup2

I do need to finish my DL TR! Wedding planning and real life have drawn so much attention away from it, but it is important to me to finish it (we were on that trip when the Boston Marathon bombing happened, and being from Boston it completely changed the day for us, so I do want to honor that time by finishing it). Let me know if you have questions! You can definitely count on making rope drop at DL at least the first few days, thanks to being on East Coast time in California.

Haha good! I feel like sit down Yak and Yeti had a couple of choices that weren't too out of the box, so I bet he could find something he likes there!

I will be looking forward to the rest of your TR (I just read all of what you have so far!)

Hollywood Brown Derby

We had a great evening in Hollywood Studios, ending with the incredible Osborne Lights - and then it was time for our dinner reservations at the Hollywood Brown Derby! I was very excited for this one since I'd heard such good things.

We waited for maybe ten or fifteen minutes before they seated us. The lobby was nice - it had a big Christmas tree set up for the holidays, and lots of caricatures on the walls that we spent some time looking at!

The meal started with your typical Disney rolls and butter. But this was some sort of flavored butter - I can't remember what, some sort of herbs and sea salt maybe? And it was really delicious!

I was the only one that got an appetizer, since I knew I wanted the salad for dinner and I was pretty hungry! And the entree size salad is so reasonably priced that I could afford to add on an appetizer as well. I went with the Blue Lump Crab Spring Rolls - (snow crab claw and a Asian slaw with spicy miso aioli):

These were very tasty. They were light and flaky, and had a decent amount of crab. The miso aioli was extremely good and added a lot of favor to the dish overall. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

For his entree my PP ordered the Ashley Farms Free-range Breast of Chicken ( served over house-made spiced chorizo, yellown plantain hash, and an avocado and heirloom tomato puree):

As for what I could get out of him about it, I think it tasted good. However, he was really disappointed that the portion size was so small. I tried to explain that in fancier restaurants you pay higher prices for a smaller amount of food that is higher quality. I don't think that he felt it was worth the price tag. It was a pretty small portion.

DH went with the Duck Two Ways - (sauteed confit with swiss chard over an herb and goat cheese polenta cake finished with a pan-seared maple bourbon duck magret with a sun-dried cherry sauce):

He enjoyed it, though interestingly he also didn't think it was quite worth the price tag. We do treat ourselves to fancy dinners from time to time, so it's not like we weren't expecting the prices. I think ultimately he just felt that he had had better duck other places, and while it was very good it wasn't great. He'd just rather spend the money to go back to places where we've had incredible meals before, like Jiko, California Grill, and Narcoossee's. He gave the duck a 7 out of 10.

For my meal I went with the entree sized portion of the famous Cobb Salad (with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, egg, bacon, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives and Cobb dressing):

Before:

After being mixed up:

Yum! I'm not a huge fan of some of these ingredients on their own or separately, but thrown all together and it just tasted great! There's a reason that it's famous. Plus, for a signature restaurant it's a steal. The entree size portion was only $16 and it's definitely a good size. Probably wouldn't fill me up on its own even if I wasn't starving, but with dessert you're good to go! I give it a 9 out of 10.

We all decided to do dessert as well. PP and DH both went with the double vanilla bean creme brulee (Served with a dark chocolate dipped biscotti.):

I think they both liked it a lot! DH is a huge creme brulee fan. He didn't care much for the biscotti but it didn't matter because he polished the creme brulee off. He still liked the one at Chefs de France better, but he was happy with this and gave it an 8 out of 10.

I, however, had to try another Brown Derby staple - the grapefruit cake (Light layers of yellow cake with fresh grapefruit cream cheese icing)!

I will start by saying that I love grapefruit, so it's not a surprise that I loved this dessert. I'm not huge on cream cheese but luckily the icing didn't really have a cream cheese flavor so that was a relief. It was sweet and tart and just really good! A 9 out of 10.

I don't usually mention service, but if it was really good or not so good I will. And in this case, unfortunately, we didn't have great service. It was extremely slow. I don't mind waiting between courses at a signature meal because you kind of expect that - even if it is in a theme park. But I shouldn't have to wait 10-15 minutes for him to come back with my drink refill. He also was not at all friendly - very curt and didn't seem to care much about our table.

Overall Brown Derby was a little hit or miss. I was very happy with my food - I went with two of their most well known and popular items, so that may be why. PP and DH were a little more disappointed in their food, though they still liked it. And the service was unfortunate. Because of that, I only give the Brown Derby a 7.5 out of 10. However, we had plans to go back for Dine with an Imagineer, so if you follow my next trip report you'll hear if it changed our minds!

Crab Spring Rolls - $13
Soda- $2.99
Soda- $2.99
Duck - $35
Chicken - $30
Cobb Salad - $16
Creme Brulee - $8
Creme Brulee - $8
Grapefruit cake - $8

Tables in Wonderland Savings: $24.80

Total including TiW discount, 18% gratuity and tax: $127.95

Total Tables in Wonderland Savings on this trip: $97.43

I was so excited to see an update! I have read every single one of your reports so I am a fan, lol!

I have never been to HBD but you ordered two of the items on my ever expanding Disney food bucket list: the cobb salad & grapefruit cake! I am so glad you enjoyed them! One day I will be able to check those off the list....

Your husband's duck made my mouth water a litte...it's disappointing to know that he didn't LOVE it but at least he didn't hate it either. Gotta love those Disney prices! :rotfl2:

I LOATHE bad service with a passion. I work part time as a waitress (cough....Disney Money...cough) and have worked in the restaurant business for well over 10 years, so I take good and bad service very seriously. There is absolutely no excuse for someone to be unfriendly! I understand things happen and I tend to forgive on certain circumstances but if someone delivers poor service on top of a grumpy attitude, no no no. A smile goes a long way!!! :flower1:

Great update...can't wait to read more!

Love your reviews and pix. I can't find that steak and lobster tail on the menu at the Rainforest Cafe. I hope they didn't take it off, it looks amazing.

I'm glad you at least enjoyed your Brown Derby meal! I've never had a cobb salad before but you make it sound delicious. Maybe I'll have to bump this up for a visit sooner rather than later!

I was so excited to see an update! I have read every single one of your reports so I am a fan, lol!

I have never been to HBD but you ordered two of the items on my ever expanding Disney food bucket list: the cobb salad & grapefruit cake! I am so glad you enjoyed them! One day I will be able to check those off the list....

Your husband's duck made my mouth water a litte...it's disappointing to know that he didn't LOVE it but at least he didn't hate it either. Gotta love those Disney prices! :rotfl2:

I LOATHE bad service with a passion. I work part time as a waitress (cough....Disney Money...cough) and have worked in the restaurant business for well over 10 years, so I take good and bad service very seriously. There is absolutely no excuse for someone to be unfriendly! I understand things happen and I tend to forgive on certain circumstances but if someone delivers poor service on top of a grumpy attitude, no no no. A smile goes a long way!!! :flower1:

Great update...can't wait to read more!

Aww thank you, I'm so excited to have a fan! :) The Cobb Salad and Grapefruit cake were just amazing, there's a reason why they're so well known... and the best part is they are pretty inexpensive compared to everything else there!

Yeah, we have been lucky and usually have great service at Disney! Unfortunately I suspect this was a case of us telling the waiter ahead of time that we had Tables in Wonderland, so he knew he was getting that 18% no matter what. I also felt that since we looked younger and didn't order alcohol at this meal he wasn't as interested in us.

Love your reviews and pix. I can't find that steak and lobster tail on the menu at the Rainforest Cafe. I hope they didn't take it off, it looks amazing.

I'm pretty sure it was on some sort of menu insert that they had, not on the regular menu itself. I have no idea if it was a limited time thing or if it's still there, but I hope they still have it for you!

I'm glad you at least enjoyed your Brown Derby meal! I've never had a cobb salad before but you make it sound delicious. Maybe I'll have to bump this up for a visit sooner rather than later!

I would definitely check it out! Plus I feel like Hollywood Studios doesn't really have a lot of table service dining options, so it's definitely worth it to try during a Hollywood Studios day :)

Tables in Wonderland

So I wanted to talk a bit about my experience with Tables in Wonderland. On this trip alone, with three of us for about 4 days, we saved $97.43. The card cost $100 so you can see that I already pretty much broke even on one trip.

However, this was my 5th trip of the year with my AP! All told, with all 5 trips (two of which I didn't really use TiW all that much because I didn't do much table service dining), I saved $319.86. Subtract out the $100, and that's a savings of $219.86!

The moral of the story? If you have an AP and are planning to do a trip including table service dining more than once (and if you have an AP, I'm guessing you probably will!), then TiW is definitely worth it!

Picky eaters: The fries @ yak & yeti are the best on property for a quick snack. They're a bit more thin than McDonald's but always crisp & perfect. It's one of my must do snacks while in Disney! No other counter service fry comes close!

I can't believe you saved so much (and that you were able to make 5 trips in one year!!). We definitely plan on getting TiW for our wedding trip and hopeful 1 year anniversary trip and your savings definitely help reinforce that it is the right decision!

Picky eaters: The fries @ yak & yeti are the best on property for a quick snack. They're a bit more thin than McDonald's but always crisp & perfect. It's one of my must do snacks while in Disney! No other counter service fry comes close!

That's good to know - I haven't had the fries there but I love a good french fry!

I can't believe you saved so much (and that you were able to make 5 trips in one year!!). We definitely plan on getting TiW for our wedding trip and hopeful 1 year anniversary trip and your savings definitely help reinforce that it is the right decision!

I was so lucky to make 5 trips in 1 year (we had some incredible good luck with a family member with an excess of DVC points that were given to us, and splitting the cost of a room for this Dec. trip helped a lot too! Actually, for 3 of the trips we stayed free with a timeshare and the other two we split rooms. The stars just aligned!). And yes, without a doubt I think TiW will save you a lot of money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter