Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I tried to get an upgrade to a "family room" or premium studio but was told that they have a limited number of them available for points and there were none to be had (and that was about 7-8 months out). I have heard of people getting them for only an extra 1500 points though. For 1,000 points/night I received an upgrade to a balcony resort view. I have also heard of people having more luck with upgrades to alcoves/family rooms at the Swan than Dolphin, but there wasn't availability for my dates.

I have recently called both Starwood and the resorts to ask about this. The woman I spoke with at the resorts direct line was far more knowledgeable. Turns out the current policy is that suites are not available for spg points only. You reserve a regular room (10k spg points at dolphin and 12k at swan) then pay $200/night to upgrade to a suite. All rooms with "suite" in the name plus the premium studios are considered suites.

However the alcove/family rooms are available for spg points only. 1000 extra at dolphin and 1500 extra at swan. A word of caution though... When you call Starwood's 800 number, their reservation system may show alcove/family rooms as only able to accommodate 3 guests. According to the Swan/Dolphin resort direct line though, the rooms can actually accommodate 5. Definitely worth calling both lines.

I have recently called both Starwood and the resorts to ask about this. The woman I spoke with at the resorts direct line was far more knowledgeable. Turns out the current policy is that suites are not available for spg points only. You reserve a regular room (10k spg points at dolphin and 12k at swan) then pay $200/night to upgrade to a suite. All rooms with "suite" in the name plus the premium studios are considered suites.

However the alcove/family rooms are available for spg points only. 1000 extra at dolphin and 1500 extra at swan. A word of caution though... When you call Starwood's 800 number, their reservation system may show alcove/family rooms as only able to accommodate 3 guests. According to the Swan/Dolphin resort direct line though, the rooms can actually accommodate 5. Definitely worth calling both lines.

2 Years ago, this is exactly what I was told, and in 2014 I had to pay 200/night. However, in December I was able to score a suite at the Dolphin for a total of 20,000 points per night for 5 nights (with one free night, 80,000 total) I really think it's all who you talk to. If you don't like what you hear, call back!

I always have to get on a conference call with Starwood AND the Dolphin to get this to work, and I have been doing this since 2004. For whatever reason, the Dolphin will not take the points from your account and Starwood never sees suite availability.

2 Years ago, this is exactly what I was told, and in 2014 I had to pay 200/night. However, in December I was able to score a suite at the Dolphin for a total of 20,000 points per night for 5 nights (with one free night, 80,000 total) I really think it's all who you talk to. If you don't like what you hear, call back!

I always have to get on a conference call with Starwood AND the Dolphin to get this to work, and I have been doing this since 2004. For whatever reason, the Dolphin will not take the points from your account and Starwood never sees suite availability.
So you actually, in effect, paid points value of two rooms for a suite? Wouldn't be worth it to me, I try to maximize my points and stretch them as far as I can... that's two trips!!

So you actually, in effect, paid points value of two rooms for a suite? Wouldn't be worth it to me, I try to maximize my points and stretch them as far as I can... that's two trips!!

I guess it depends on your family. 4 in a room is a bit too cozy for us, especially now that the kids are older. I usually reserve an executive suite in the Dolphin, which has a King bed in the "parlor" attached to a regular hotel room with 2 doubles, so the kids have their own room. You could book two connecting rooms, but they won't guarantee the connection...

I guess it depends on your family. 4 in a room is a bit too cozy for us, especially now that the kids are older. I usually reserve an executive suite in the Dolphin, which has a King bed in the "parlor" attached to a regular hotel room with 2 doubles, so the kids have their own room. You could book two connecting rooms, but they won't guarantee the connection...
good point!

The answer may be buried somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it with a search. I am considering a one night stay at the Dolphin before a AKL stay. If I arrive there around 4pm stay the night and leave the rental car there until after a DHS visit the following day will I have to pay $20 for parking or $40, is the parking rate per "day" or actually per number of nights you stay?

Does anyone know if the Swan/Dolphin restaurants still offer AAA discounts? I'm specifically thinking of Shula's. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the Swan/Dolphin restaurants still offer AAA discounts? I'm specifically thinking of Shula's. Thanks!
The non signature restaurants take AAA. Signature restaurants take Tables in Wonderland. Shula's takes TiW.

The answer may be buried somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it with a search. I am considering a one night stay at the Dolphin before a AKL stay. If I arrive there around 4pm stay the night and leave the rental car there until after a DHS visit the following day will I have to pay $20 for parking or $40, is the parking rate per "day" or actually per number of nights you stay?
One day charge, not 2 night charge. $20 plus tax. I called S/D parking to verify.

Can anyone attest to the comfort of the sofa bed in the upgraded rooms? Considering a "deluxe alcove" room in the Dolphin and it seems that two beds is requested but not confirmed, and just wondering if the sofa bed is going to be uncomfortable for my mom to sleep on (she'll be bunking with my son but I'm not worried about him - haha!). Thanks!

Woot woot!

biggame.jpg

The winners of this year's big game between Atlanta and New England will celebrate their victory in style -- and now their fans can, too. The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel, is once again rewarding fans with the “I'm off to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel!” deal for residents of each team's state.

Residents of Georgia, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut will receive a free night at the Walt Disney World hotel when booking two nights at the standard price before February 28, 2017 for stays through January 31, 2018.

Additionally, there is even more in store for the champion of the big game. Residents of that team's state will get to celebrate in upgraded accommodations, as they will receive a complimentary automatic room upgrade.

While staying at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel, fans also can enjoy a championship-caliber meal at any of the 17 restaurants and lounges located in the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel, including Shula's Steak House, the restaurant of the NFL's winningest coach, Don Shula.

There's no better place to celebrate a team's victory than the place known for championship celebrations.

For additional information or to make reservations guests can call 1-800-227-1500 and mention their home state -- Georgia, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, or Connecticut.

Guests must have valid appropriate state identification to present upon check-in. Based on rate schedule availability. Offer is not valid Dec. 22 - 31, 2017. Taxes, resort services fee and gratuities not included. Not valid with any other special offers, promotions, or for existing reservations or groups.

I am deciding between the Swan and the Dolphin for this year's New Year's Eve trip. I'm thinking 12/28/17-1/2/18. My DH is SPG Platinum and I think that we currently get breakfast. We stay at the Swolphin every couple of years and the Swan was just bumped up to the next level and will cost us 8,000 points more so we're weighing the differences between the two. We stayed at the Dolphin last time and had just an "okay" stay.

My questions:

(1) I assume that Garden Grove goes with the Swan and Fresh goes with the Dolphin, right?
(2) I've read that we can pay a small amount to upgrade to the full buffet at the Garden Grove. Does any one know how much that is?
(3) Can we also pay to upgrade at Fresh?
(4) There will be 3 in our room and my DD will be 18 (!) when we go. I assume we will only get 2 free breakfasts. Is that true?

I am deciding between the Swan and the Dolphin for this year's New Year's Eve trip. I'm thinking 12/28/17-1/2/18. My DH is SPG Platinum and I think that we currently get breakfast. We stay at the Swolphin every couple of years and the Swan was just bumped up to the next level and will cost us 8,000 points more so we're weighing the differences between the two. We stayed at the Dolphin last time and had just an "okay" stay.

My questions:

(1) I assume that Garden Grove goes with the Swan and Fresh goes with the Dolphin, right?
(2) I've read that we can pay a small amount to upgrade to the full buffet at the Garden Grove. Does any one know how much that is?
(3) Can we also pay to upgrade at Fresh?
(4) There will be 3 in our room and my DD will be 18 (!) when we go. I assume we will only get 2 free breakfasts. Is that true?
HI Robin.

I can only answer your #1, and that is correct. Not sure about platinum upgrades, wish I was. :)

18??? :faint: Where is that little girl I met about 16 or 17 years ago at DL?

Don't forget third party sites also like Orbitz and Last Minute Travel - Orbitz had the Dolphin under $200 for MLK weekend when I was checking a couple of days ago. With resort fee and parking you're still over $200 but in the meantime both resorts have gotten significant room revitalizations. I would not have paid $200+ per night for the older Dolphin rooms... the location was great but the decor was not appealing.

I you are a betting person and really want to get the room cheap hotwire and priceline will often have Swan & Dolphin, normally as more of a last minute deal. I needed a room for one night this Friday before an AKL stay. I had one booked off site but remember seeing that sometimes hotwire had it and you can often get a good idea of if that is the hotel you will be getting. I found what I was pretty sure was the Dolphin for $90 a night (plus resort and parking fee of course), I crossed my fingers willing to except whatever it is I got if it wasn't Dolphin and sure enough it was. I wont know what type of room I'll get for sure but for that price I'm glad to stay a night there, its currently even cheaper for next weekend.

I you are a betting person and really want to get the room cheap hotwire and priceline will often have Swan & Dolphin, normally as more of a last minute deal. I needed a room for one night this Friday before an AKL stay. I had one booked off site but remember seeing that sometimes hotwire had it and you can often get a good idea of if that is the hotel you will be getting. I found what I was pretty sure was the Dolphin for $90 a night (plus resort and parking fee of course), I crossed my fingers willing to except whatever it is I got if it wasn't Dolphin and sure enough it was. I wont know what type of room I'll get for sure but for that price I'm glad to stay a night there, its currently even cheaper for next weekend.

Interesting. What made you think it was the Dolphin? What kinds of "clues" were you looking for?

I am not sure that I'm allowed to post specific sites or some of the tricks and tips about getting specific hotels on hotwire on this site but a simple google search will find all the ways and the sites and forums that help you to figure out what the hotel is LIKELY going to be. I say LIKELY because there is no guarantee that there isn't another hotel that meets the same exact criteria. The key to hotwire (or similar like the priceline bidding) is to make certain that you are going to be OK with the worst case scenerio for the price you are paying before you click that button. I dont use Hotwire that often but I'd say of the maybe 10 times I have in the past few years 9 or them were what I thought I'd get and the one that was different was still a great hotel. Some of the things that you can easily do right on Hotwire without knowing the extra tricks is to narrow down the area, narrow down the star rating, and look at the review number and percentages and compare those to the hotel you want. Checking the amenities will help to further narrow down if it is likely the hotel your looking for. The people who complain most about hotwire do not realize what might happen so that is why I say be sure your willing to except worst case scenario for that price. When your up into the 4 plus star range its pretty unlikely you'll end up with a bad hotel that is why I dont generally take the gamble for cheaper hotels unless I am 99% certain of what I will get. This time when I hit the submit button I was certain of a few things, I was guaranteed a hotel 4 stars or above, within a very specified area that included Disney Resort property and a very small area outside (such as Sherbeth Rd and the Bonnet Creek Resort), I was guaranteed enough beds for 4 people, even though it might only be two double beds (I'm hoping for 2 queens but for that price realize it might be two doubles) and I am guarenteed the price of $90 (plus tax, parking, and resort fee) I already had an off site two queen bed room booked for about the same price and would have had to pay $20 parking at DHS anyway so figured it was worth the chance and any 4 star hotel within that zone would be acceptable. I was pretty confident it would be the Dolphin but until I clicked the submit I wasn't certain. I have a one night offsite stay at the end of my trip as well that I'm now thinking about changing and doing the same thing for Dolphin on hotwire, but I'm going to wait until after I arrive Friday night just to make sure there are no issues, like they stick me in the basement lol.

That Superbowl offer is good, sadly I don't think any of our teams will ever win the super bowl for quite a while.

Just read that the Boardwalk is going to start a character breakfast in the spring or later. Just wondering who thinks this will have a negative impact on the Swan character breakfast on the week ends. I have reported that we don't care about the characters but I think this will negatively affect them for sure.

Looking into a possible spring trip and all I can say is the rates are higher than I expected. I even think my dh ff miles program changed or they are on the same scale price wise. I am waiting and looking right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter