Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Hi all, can anyone give me some advice (step-by-step idiots guide) on how to use the in-room coffee maker please? On our last stay, I tried several times but the water kept flowing straight through and I know I must have been doing something wrong. I know some of you here have stayed several times and can probably do it in your sleep, so I am hoping that somebody, from memory, can explain it to me.

Someone may be able to explain it better but here is my best shot:

1) Start with the coffee maker unplugged.

2) Tear open the package of coffee and pull out the little pouch of coffee. It looks like a big round tea bag.

3) Place the pouch of coffee in the basket of the coffee maker. When you open up the top of the coffee maker, there is a round basket section and then back section for the water. There should be a removable basket in the coffee maker. Make sure you have the pouch pushed down as flatly as possible to the bottom of the basket. This may have been your issue. If you just throw that pouch in there, I guess it is possible for the water to go around the pouch and not brew coffee.

4) Fill up a cup of water. The Starbucks coffee cups provided are the correct size.

5) Pour the water in the back section of the coffee maker.

6) Place the coffee cup under the basket.

7) Plug in the coffee maker and turn it on.

I will say, that we have had broken coffee makers at various Sheratons and Westins. One would not brew and another was missing the removable basket part. So your problem could have been that the coffee maker was broken.

Anyone else? What did I forget.

Hey all,

Quick question on FP+ when staying at the Swan (I booked the Swan in the end after some back and forth about 20 pages back).

We did a CBR stay last April and booked a package through Disney already within our 60 day window, so I just went online right after and started playing with FP+ reservations.

This time, obviously we're booked way further out and I did it through SPG. So, in order to book our FP+:

- Does the window for our ENTIRE trip open at the 60 day mark, or is it like ADRs, when you book one day at a time, at 60 days out from that day?

- Do I have to have tickets purchased and linked by then to my MDE account? I've never done a ticket purchase separate from a vacation package through Disney Vacations, so a little bit unsure there on what I have to do.

- Also, my Swan reservation that has been linked currently just has me and 1 other "adult" listed on it, but in reality, its myself, my wife, my MIL, our 7 yr old and our 1 year old - how do I get them all listed on my MDE as part of the room reservation? I assume if they don't show up, I won't be able to book FP+ for them until the 30 day window, right?

Thanks all!

I can help with the ticket part of your question... I just went through the ticket part myself. Make sure all the people you need fast passes are on your MDE account. Purchase the tickets on MDE and it will ask you "who do you want to assign" the ticket to and it will have a drop down menu for you to select people from your account.

I also can add I had to call the Dolphin and add the people that were not listed, you are correct they need to be there to get fast passes for them. After the people are correct on your reservation, link it to your MDE.

I don't know the answer to this one "Does the window for our ENTIRE trip open at the 60 day mark, or is it like ADRs, when you book one day at a time, at 60 days out from that day?"

:)

Thanks Mom Poppins. Has anyone bought tickets outside of Disney/MDE? Is it worth it, or more of a hassle to get everything linked thats not worth whatever minimal discount you receive? I always see people talking about it, but like I said, this is our first time going outside the realm of the simple "Disney Package" booking.

Another quick question: I actually got notice over the weekend that we've achieved Gold Preferred status on SPG which noted upgraded rooms (not suites, tho) are now available to us at check-in. I've been considering upgrading our reservation (booked on points) to an Alcove Room (speaking of, does anyone have pictures of these rooms? The pictures on the website don't appear accurate based on the floorplans) or these new renovated rooms with the balconies, but does anyone have experience with status at the Swan to know if these types of "upgrades" will be offered at check-in to us at no charge anyway (I have no problem asking for these, either, of course) such that I should save the points? I'm guessing if I call and ask they're not going to "guarantee" me an upgrade or anything like that, so I'm wondering what I should do here - as I noted above, we're a group of 3 adults, a 7 yr old and a baby, so the larger room would be helpful to get the baby into a quieter nook at night and just more space for 5 (or 4 1/2) people.

Thanks everyone for their help!

Hey all,

Quick question on FP+ when staying at the Swan (I booked the Swan in the end after some back and forth about 20 pages back).

We did a CBR stay last April and booked a package through Disney already within our 60 day window, so I just went online right after and started playing with FP+ reservations.

This time, obviously we're booked way further out and I did it through SPG. So, in order to book our FP+:

- Does the window for our ENTIRE trip open at the 60 day mark, or is it like ADRs, when you book one day at a time, at 60 days out from that day?

- Do I have to have tickets purchased and linked by then to my MDE account? I've never done a ticket purchase separate from a vacation package through Disney Vacations, so a little bit unsure there on what I have to do.

- Also, my Swan reservation that has been linked currently just has me and 1 other "adult" listed on it, but in reality, its myself, my wife, my MIL, our 7 yr old and our 1 year old - how do I get them all listed on my MDE as part of the room reservation? I assume if they don't show up, I won't be able to book FP+ for them until the 30 day window, right?

Thanks all!

Yes, your entire window opens up at 60 days just like a normal onsite reservation. We did exactly this last year - stayed at the Swan and bought tickets through Undercover Tourist. We have done exactly the same this year (we arrive in a week!) and it worked like a charm. You just buy the tickets, then when you receive them use the numbers on the tickets (be wary of the difference between O and 0) to link to MDE and assign to a member of your party. It's very simple :thumbsup2

Someone may be able to explain it better but here is my best shot:

1) Start with the coffee maker unplugged.

2) Tear open the package of coffee and pull out the little pouch of coffee. It looks like a big round tea bag.

3) Place the pouch of coffee in the basket of the coffee maker. When you open up the top of the coffee maker, there is a round basket section and then back section for the water. There should be a removable basket in the coffee maker. Make sure you have the pouch pushed down as flatly as possible to the bottom of the basket. This may have been your issue. If you just throw that pouch in there, I guess it is possible for the water to go around the pouch and not brew coffee.

4) Fill up a cup of water. The Starbucks coffee cups provided are the correct size.

5) Pour the water in the back section of the coffee maker.

6) Place the coffee cup under the basket.

7) Plug in the coffee maker and turn it on.

I will say, that we have had broken coffee makers at various Sheratons and Westins. One would not brew and another was missing the removable basket part. So your problem could have been that the coffee maker was broken.

Anyone else? What did I forget.

Thank you - you know, I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken as it just didn't seem right, no matter how I tried it (and I'm not that technologically challenged). I will give it a go in a week and, if it doesn't work, perhaps I will call housekeeping and get them to check it for me.

Thanks Mom Poppins. Has anyone bought tickets outside of Disney/MDE? Is it worth it, or more of a hassle to get everything linked thats not worth whatever minimal discount you receive? I always see people talking about it, but like I said, this is our first time going outside the realm of the simple "Disney Package" booking.

Another quick question: I actually got notice over the weekend that we've achieved Gold Preferred status on SPG which noted upgraded rooms (not suites, tho) are now available to us at check-in. I've been considering upgrading our reservation (booked on points) to an Alcove Room (speaking of, does anyone have pictures of these rooms? The pictures on the website don't appear accurate based on the floorplans) or these new renovated rooms with the balconies, but does anyone have experience with status at the Swan to know if these types of "upgrades" will be offered at check-in to us at no charge anyway (I have no problem asking for these, either, of course) such that I should save the points? I'm guessing if I call and ask they're not going to "guarantee" me an upgrade or anything like that, so I'm wondering what I should do here - as I noted above, we're a group of 3 adults, a 7 yr old and a baby, so the larger room would be helpful to get the baby into a quieter nook at night and just more space for 5 (or 4 1/2) people.

Depends on how badly you want the upgrade. It's worth calling and asking how many points it would be to guarantee it. I'm platinum and tend to rely on status and use my SPG suite night awards to get in the front of the line for the upgrade. That said, there are no suites available right now for our trip and I think they're unlikely to open up, so I probably should've booked the suite ahead of time. If they have availability when you check in, they should give you the upgrade assuming there aren't a lot of platinums ahead of you. You may not get the alcove but I understand there are a lot of balcony rooms available.

Yes, your entire window opens up at 60 days just like a normal onsite reservation. We did exactly this last year - stayed at the Swan and bought tickets through Undercover Tourist. We have done exactly the same this year (we arrive in a week!) and it worked like a charm. You just buy the tickets, then when you receive them use the numbers on the tickets (be wary of the difference between O and 0) to link to MDE and assign to a member of your party. It's very simple :thumbsup2

So when you buy tickets through these other providers - its hard copy tickets that you have to wait and get a code for (not just a confirmation number online or e-ticket type things)? If so, how much time should I make sure to give myself ahead of the 60 day window opening to order these tickets? We're still deciding whether or not to add the Water Park option and if we're going to do all 8 days we're there or assume either arrival or departure day we won't get to it so do 7 days instead.

We're not arriving until April 4 so we have time either way, just want to know because otherwise I know I'll forget about it.

Depends on how badly you want the upgrade. It's worth calling and asking how many points it would be to guarantee it. I'm platinum and tend to rely on status and use my SPG suite night awards to get in the front of the line for the upgrade. That said, there are no suites available right now for our trip and I think they're unlikely to open up, so I probably should've booked the suite ahead of time. If they have availability when you check in, they should give you the upgrade assuming there aren't a lot of platinums ahead of you. You may not get the alcove but I understand there are a lot of balcony rooms available.

Yeah we're going basically easter weekend into the next week, so a busy time at WDW overall and I would assume at the resort as well. Right now, there doesn't appear to be any issue with availability of any types of rooms, but obviously still 6 months out.

I think somewhere earlier in this thread someone said it was like 1500/night for the alcove over the standard room - for a week, thats 10k or so, so I may take my chances on the free upgrade there as thats a lot. The balcony/updated room appeared to be 100/night, so thats probably worth it.

So when you buy tickets through these other providers - its hard copy tickets that you have to wait and get a code for (not just a confirmation number online or e-ticket type things)? If so, how much time should I make sure to give myself ahead of the 60 day window opening to order these tickets? We're still deciding whether or not to add the Water Park option and if we're going to do all 8 days we're there or assume either arrival or departure day we won't get to it so do 7 days instead.

We're not arriving until April 4 so we have time either way, just want to know because otherwise I know I'll forget about it.

I am in the UK so no idea about shipping times within US but normally the tickets I order from Undercover Tourist arrive within a week or two :thumbsup2

Thank you - you know, I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken as it just didn't seem right, no matter how I tried it (and I'm not that technologically challenged). I will give it a go in a week and, if it doesn't work, perhaps I will call housekeeping and get them to check it for me.

We had one that was missing the little basket part. I bet someone had accidentally thrown it out. If you were missing that part I bet the water would flow through too fast to brew anything.

I've also been whammied by not really stuffing that little pouch down to the bottom.

Good luck next time!

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be from Dolphin to Downtown Disney? My husband has a business meetings at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista (across from there) and we are trying to figure out if a taxi is cheaper then renting a car and paying for parking. Although that will be expensed to his company.

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be from Dolphin to Downtown Disney? My husband has a business meetings at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista (across from there) and we are trying to figure out if a taxi is cheaper then renting a car and paying for parking. Although that will be expensed to his company.

They have a bus that goes there, so no need for a taxi (unless you need to get there quickly). Getting back in the evening for us, once, though, was a nightmare. We waited forever to get back, but it could have been our luck that trip!

It really is worth a call.

We are going in March for spring break, and staying on points. It was only 100 points extra per night over the standard room (Swan) to get a guaranteed renovated room with a balcony, so for 600 extra points that was well worth it! For our week, all suites were sold out, so that wasn't an option (and it's just me and my DD who is turning 16).

I'd call to see about a cash upgrade or something. Usually I think a suite upgrade is an extra 10,000 points per night, but an alcove room is kind of in between. It may not be what you want, though, since it's got a king bed and a double (I think) sofa sleeper, so two real beds may be more comfortable honestly.

FWIW, I'm gold also and have been upgraded to a room with a balcony a few times, but last trip was just one night and I got the worst room I've ever had (luckily we got in late and checked out to go over to the Boardwalk Villas the next morning early).

They also sometimes offer a second connecting room at a discount - you can ask about that. We did that once for the 4 of us.

They have a bus that goes there, so no need for a taxi (unless you need to get there quickly). Getting back in the evening for us, once, though, was a nightmare. We waited forever to get back, but it could have been our luck that trip!

Getting back from DTD is a nightmare, it has to be said. Something to do with the same bus servicing 5 resorts (Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk Inn/Villas). In March, it took us well over an hour and a half to get back every time we took the bus from DTD.

We are going in March for spring break, and staying on points. It was only 100 points extra per night over the standard room (Swan) to get a guaranteed renovated room with a balcony, so for 600 extra points that was well worth it! For our week, all suites were sold out, so that wasn't an option (and it's just me and my DD who is turning 16).

I'd call to see about a cash upgrade or something. Usually I think a suite upgrade is an extra 10,000 points per night, but an alcove room is kind of in between. It may not be what you want, though, since it's got a king bed and a double (I think) sofa sleeper, so two real beds may be more comfortable honestly.

FWIW, I'm gold also and have been upgraded to a room with a balcony a few times, but last trip was just one night and I got the worst room I've ever had (luckily we got in late and checked out to go over to the Boardwalk Villas the next morning early).

They also sometimes offer a second connecting room at a discount - you can ask about that. We did that once for the 4 of us.
From what I know booking our own room, we have an alcove room + adjoining room in the Dolphin next month. There are no balconies on these rooms (alcove + adjoining) so I have to forgo the EPCOT view to attach rooms. Which I prefer. I'm not sure about upgrading since we've not been but I'm sure my husband is going to ask when we go about upgrading to a full suite. I can take picture of the alcove room next month (Nov. 18th)

We used to get an executive suite for an extra 10,000 points but were told this was not available for our most recent stay (June). If someone is able to secure a suite upgrade on points, please let me know!

I know this particular question was brought up many pages ago but I could not find an answer to it.
We (3 people) are staying at Dolphin from December 30th-January 2nd and were hoping we could use the Boardwalk resort airline check-in station. This will allow us to drop our bags off early so we can hit the parks and just go straight to the airport.(We will have a rental car)
I realize that S/D does not offer this but wanted to know if anyone has done this in the past?

Thanks

Is an alcove above the standard "upgrade to improved room" or whatever the language is on the gold "upgrades"? I can't tell where it falls on the spectrum of rooms - its not a suite so I don't think its out of the question there, but who knows I guess. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience getting upgraded on status to an alcove, I guess.

I agree on the balcony renovated room - I think I am going to call to upgrade to that on my base reservation and then probably just ask about the alcove at check-in.

I realize the bed situation in an alcove isn't ideal but ultimately, 4 bed "spots" is what we need, and our son LOVES pull out sofas (lol). Its really just the excess space and ability to separate our daughter in the crib from the madness that is our son that would be greatly useful. We made due without issue in a CBR standard room last year when she was barely 1, so we can certainly make due again as she is a much better sleeper now. But ideally, yeah, the alcove looks like a win.

We used to get an executive suite for an extra 10,000 points but were told this was not available for our most recent stay (June). If someone is able to secure a suite upgrade on points, please let me know!

10,000 for your trip, or 10,000 per night?

My understanding is that suites were double, at least, the points per night, while alcove rooms were somewhere around 11,000 or 12,000 per night, which winds up being about an extra 10,000 for a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter