Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We are still going, just unfortunately not staying at my beloved Dolphin, but at POFQ. We are hoping to take another Adventures by Disney tour this summer as DD21 college graduation gift, and may accompany my sister's family on a 4 night DCL, so no tears for me. ;-). DH is a sweetheart and knows how much DD & I love to Disney travel, but when we looked at the costs for the year's plans, we had to change my favorite Dolphin. I wish they could remove the daily resort fee, or be included in Magical Express. Either change would be a help! But, I do understand the reasons. And, I WILL return. Lol :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

This makes me sad . It's the reason that I won't automatically suggest the Dolphin to people anymore. It's not the bargain it once was and there are too many other options. One needs to add ALL the extra costs and compare it to Disney properties. Using Starpoints really changes the equation for me, but your mileage will vary.

This makes me sad . It's the reason that I won't automatically suggest the Dolphin to people anymore. It's not the bargain it once was and there are too many other options. One needs to add ALL the extra costs and compare it to Disney properties. Using Starpoints really changes the equation for me, but your mileage will vary.
JMO, but it's not surprising seeing that the cost of just about EVERYTHING has gone up, including the Disney resorts. I mean, years ago we could get Pop Century for $59/night, now it's up there, too - last time I was checking rates it was heading towards $200/night; same with the Mods, and same with airfare. So yes, S/D costs have also risen, but to me, it's still a good value given the location and amenities.

I always sort of chuckle at complaints about the resort fee because it's not like you don't get anything for your money. You get two super large waters, wifi, a daily newspaper, and use of the health club. Now granted, some of those things may not appeal to you, but it's not like it's for nothing. I'll be honest, we always have a car, so I find myself bristling at the parking fees, also. But then I remember that Time is Money in Disney, and I think it's worth something to me to be able to whiz around WDW where and when I want fairly easily, so I suck it up; our vacation time is limited and precious, especially now that our kids are in HS and working, so we might be able to get away for just a few short days, best to make them count.

When I analyze my costs, it's generally still a good value even with resort fees and parking costs, compared to other WDW resorts, unless I can get a spectacular deal somewhere. Honestly, these days that's really what drives where we stay - wherever I can get the best overall deal. I'm sure many others feel the same. But generally I am often led right back to the S/D because it is still a good value for the cost. And I'm willing to work super hard to find the best price I can there, even if it means checking multiple sites daily and changing reservations if I have to. YMMV

I always sort of chuckle at complaints about the resort fee because it's not like you don't get anything for your money. You get two super large waters, wifi, a daily newspaper, and use of the health club. Now granted, some of those things may not appeal to you, but it's not like it's for nothing. I'll be honest, we always have a car, so I find myself bristling at the parking fees, also. But then I remember that Time is Money in Disney, and I think it's worth something to me to be able to whiz around WDW where and when I want fairly easily, so I suck it up; our vacation time is limited and precious, especially now that our kids are in HS and working, so we might be able to get away for just a few short days, best to make them count.

I think for most people the resort fee "feels" like you're paying $23 per night ($39 if you have a car to park) basically for 2 bottles of water because most hotels do not charge extra for wifi/parking/health club (and actually most places I have stayed for business trips also provided complimentary bottled water).

If the fee is mandatory, they should just increase the price and include the wifi,etc. for "free". I know it's ultimately the same cost, but it would eliminate all the complaints about the required fee.

I think for most people the resort fee "feels" like you're paying $23 per night ($39 if you have a car to park) basically for 2 bottles of water because most hotels do not charge extra for wifi/parking/health club (and actually most places I have stayed for business trips also provided complimentary bottled water).

If the fee is mandatory, they should just increase the price and include the wifi,etc. for "free". I know it's ultimately the same cost, but it would eliminate all the complaints about the required fee.
Not disagreeing, but up until not too long ago it was $10/night for internet connection at many of the Disney resorts also, aside from the convention resorts. And it wasn't Wireless. Many may not use the health club persay, but if you want to get a volleyball or a basketball to use out by the pool, you just walk into the health club with your room key and get one. So again, I think you do get a good value for your money there, but it may not be readily apparent. I do think the "Resort Fee" is a nagativity to the resort, though, especially when you're recommending it to someone else.

I think for most people the resort fee "feels" like you're paying $23 per night ($39 if you have a car to park) basically for 2 bottles of water because most hotels do not charge extra for wifi/parking/health club (and actually most places I have stayed for business trips also provided complimentary bottled water). If the fee is mandatory, they should just increase the price and include the wifi,etc. for "free". I know it's ultimately the same cost, but it would eliminate all the complaints about the required fee.

We don't use the health club (all that theme park walking is just fine, thanks. Lol) and most common areas do have wifi, so it really does feel like $23 for two bottles of water. The Dolphin is my FAVORITE location, but since this is an extra vacation this year, I needed to realistically look at prices. I know I will miss it, but I will return.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Does anyone know if the discount code SANTA is only for the Dolphin or is it good at the Swan too? Has anyone called to book this rate?

Thanks everyone! I have pretty picky eaters - bagels, waffles, eggs and fruit and really that's it! Even if they eat a little bit and eat more later at the parks I'm ok with it. Is the refrigerator a college size one? How large of a milk container can it fit?

It's a little bit bigger than the old standard "cube" fridge, so probably what most college dorms have. You'd be able to safely fit a half gallon of milk; I find smaller containers easier to use.

When staying there with my kids (when they were little), we used to ship a box of snacks down (ramen, mac & cheese, granola bars, etc...) and bring a hot pot to make the ramen & mac & cheese in the room. Also I'd have plastic cutlery and paper plates & bowls and a roll of paper towels. You can easily pick up breakfast items for the room at the Screen Door General Store at the Boardwalk, if you don't find what you want at the Dolphin.

Speaking of the resort fee, I for one am not too pleased with it. I was going to use my Starpoints and stay there next spring break, but one reason I feel they won't just increase the room cost instead is that they can tack it on to those using points for a stay (thus still collecting cash for a "free" room). I've changed my reservation to the Boardwalk; the rate I got is less than I'd pay at the Swan anyway, and no hidden fees. Plus the bedding situation is better with the daybed in the room. I'll save my Starpoints for another trip. To us it really is an expensive couple bottles of water. Plus now I don't need the rental car, so can use magical express. The rental car, parking fee, and resort fees were going to add $500 or so onto my free room stay.

I'm curious how they deny the free internet perk to gold preferred members. It is clearly listed on the spg website - it says you receive your choice between a daily beverage or free in room internet service.
I know I received credit of the full daily resort fee in May 2013 on my last stay. I don't see any notation on the benefits page that the internet perk is not available at all resorts. Have any gold members questioned this and still been refused the perk? I have 2 connecting rooms so that is a significant benefit to me this trip.

I'm curious how they deny the free internet perk to gold preferred members. It is clearly listed on the spg website - it says you receive your choice between a daily beverage or free in room internet service.
I know I received credit of the full daily resort fee in May 2013 on my last stay. I don't see any notation on the benefits page that the internet perk is not available at all resorts. Have any gold members questioned this and still been refused the perk? I have 2 connecting rooms so that is a significant benefit to me this trip.
They were waiving the resort fee for gold members through August, 2013. After that date, they quit waiving the fee for gold. I have seen it posted here that it still can be waived for platinum members.

My understanding is that if the internet access is a stand alone charge, it could still be waived. But since S/D bundles it with the water bottles and health club access, that allows them to be selective as to whom they offer the waiver.

As gold members, we have always received the free wifi option. Although......the charge usually shows up on the final bill - then when we point out the error and they remove it. But that isn't just at the Dolphin, they seem to have sticky fingers at most SPG hotels that we stay at.

5 vs. 4 in the Swan...

We initially called the hotel directly and asked them about "5" in a standard room - the 5 being myself, my wife, my Mother-in-Law, our son (7) and daughter (1...will turn 2 on trip).

They said this was no issue, although they would charge us for the extra adult. Fine.

I called the SPG line yesterday because we decided to extend our vacation by one day and wanted to do so with additional points. I also wanted to, at that time that I had someone on the phone, add the correct people/names to our reservation for purposes of synching with MDE, since via my initial booking online as a rewards stay, it defaulted to a "2 adults" reservation with a nameless 2nd adult occupying the second slot (which is how it showed up in my MDE). The SPG person told me he could not add 5 people to my room, regardless of age - the system wouldn't allow him. He slyly said, "Are you SURE there will be five people in your room, sir?" and said, for now, he would put 2 and 2 (adults/children) on my reservation and if I wanted to further clarify that, I should probably speak to the hotel directly - but said if they initially told me 5 was fine, I shouldn't be concerned.

So now my question is, since I updated my reservation in MDE, I was able to tie my wife, myself, MIL and son to the reservation, for purposes of eventually being able to book FP+ at the 60 day mark for each of them. Since I will NOT have to do that for our daughter, who will not have her own ticket, is there any reason I should even fight this further and risk getting a not-so-friendly person at the hotel who shuts down our reservation and forces me to book another room (I am gold, not platinum, but was planning on trying to get a room upgrade at check-in anyway which would alleviate some of the space concern)? Is the fact that I linked someone in MDE (MIL) to a "child" spot on my room reservation (yet it allowed me to with no problems and the reservation absolutely appears on my MIL's "reservations page") going to cause problems down the line?

Thanks!!

Well I finally booked everything today. I booked 3 nights for free using dh ff miles. That will be Dec. 9-11. That is just suppose to be a standard room.

Then the 12-16 we are suppose to have a renovated room, so I am guessing we will have to change rooms?????

I have an ap and still deciding whether to get dh one or not. He doesnt seem to like taking vacations lately. Last time I went to the Dolphin with ds in Aug.

I have to figure about fastpasses. Honestly dh and I dont go on many rides. Probably the only fp I would want for the week would be Soarin or Toy Story and maybe Buzz.

Last time I just bought one of dh old magic bands and had them program the thing at the park guest services. So if he doesnt get an ap, I dont want to buy a new magic band at the Swan.

Cant wait for the holidays at Disney!

Swan/Dolphin guests can book FP+ 60 days out. However, as previously mentioned, Swan/Dolphin guests can't book fastpasses for Be Our Guest lunch.

How? Do we put our Dolphin reservation number in MDE? I did that and can only make FPs 30 days out.

Edit: Never mind. Just discovered it takes 24 hours to load right after linking in MDE

The hubs and I always stop into the Boardwalk's Screendoor General store on our first night to pick up milk and a box of cereal, Cremora for our in-room coffee, juice, and a gallon of water. We grab a couple of plastic spoons from Picabu's and use our in-room glassware for cereal bowls. The gallon of water is used to make the coffee or refill water bottles if we want extras beyond our hotel-provided 2 bottles/day. Makes for a "quick/easy/relatively inexpensive/don't have to pack any food in our suitcases" breakfast.

just a quick question...is the milk a better price than in the Dolphin store? (I know either way we pay a convenience premium, but the 9.00 for a 1/2 gal. last year made our jaws drop at Dolphin) a box of cereal at Dolphin was also :faint: even beyod what I expect at a Disney resort store....:scared: My Dh tries to grab a gallon elsewhere if possible,but not sure of our options yet.... did I read on here that You can't have a package delivered to Dolphin anymore? I was going to do Amazon Prime Pantry.....:confused3

just a quick question...is the milk a better price than in the Dolphin store? (I know either way we pay a convenience premium, but the 9.00 for a 1/2 gal. last year made our jaws drop at Dolphin) a box of cereal at Dolphin was also :faint: even beyod what I expect at a Disney resort store....:scared: My Dh tries to grab a gallon elsewhere if possible,but not sure of our options yet.... did I read on here that You can't have a package delivered to Dolphin anymore? I was going to do Amazon Prime Pantry.....:confused3

Not sure if anything has changed about sending a package; I did so but it was about 8 years ago or so with no issue or fee.

I'm sure it's less than $9 a half gallon at the Boardwalk store, but also you could walk to the Hess gas station right nearby if you feel like it and buy snacks (and wine & beer) cheaper!

I'd call about the package shipping option. I'd feel better if it were me to talk to someone directly at the resort about that!

Not sure if anything has changed about sending a package; I did so but it was about 8 years ago or so with no issue or fee.

I'm sure it's less than $9 a half gallon at the Boardwalk store, but also you could walk to the Hess gas station right nearby if you feel like it and buy snacks (and wine & beer) cheaper!

I'd call about the package shipping option. I'd feel better if it were me to talk to someone directly at the resort about that!
There are fees now for shipping and/or receiving. Can't recall actual fees, but not too inexpensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter