Was I wrong to be disappointed by this?

I don't think you are wrong to be disappointed by that. :tinker:princess::mickeyjum :smickey: Character interactions are very important to me too! I become giddy when I see Minnie and Goofy! :goofy:

This has nothing to do about the cruise, it's 9 years since we cruised, next one in 68 days, BUT, this has to do with WDW. Everytime go into the Magic Kingdom and walk up Main St. I get tears in my eyes, and I've been over 50 times. So for me, an 80 year old male, the "l'effet de surprise" is still there, and I'm hoping that my next cruise, our 6th, will still have the effect.

Respectfully, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I mean "something that is not expected". That doesn't mean you are not going to be content or moved by it (I, for myself, am also still moved by the view of the Castle although I won't tear up like I did the first time). It just won't surprise you anymore. Once you've experimented something, you have expectations when you do it again.

I seriously believe that the internet and social media are mainly responsible for the idea of diminishing return and the loss of "Disney magic." Before everyone shared all of the little things, also known as "pixie dust," guests were surprised when those things happened to them. With the ever growing use of social media, what used to be a surprise moment is now an expected experience or entitlement.

Is it the main factor? Maybe, maybe not. However, there's no doubt it's a huge factor. The internet (and sites like this one, in particular) have been a blessing and a curse for trip planning - particularly for WDW. They have been beyond helpful with regards to information on transportation, the resorts, restaurants, tickets, etc. - all the logistics stuff. However, for the in-park experience, it's definitely a case where less is probably more. Something like "Push" comes to mind. The little things like that really only work when you stumble upon them with little to no prior knowledge of them. If you read about it and then actively seek it out, it's just not the same. So it's not really a surprise that a lot of those little touches have been removed.

Is it the main factor? Maybe, maybe not. However, there's no doubt it's a huge factor. The internet (and sites like this one, in particular) have been a blessing and a curse for trip planning - particularly for WDW. They have been beyond helpful with regards to information on transportation, the resorts, restaurants, tickets, etc. - all the logistics stuff. However, for the in-park experience, it's definitely a case where less is probably more. Something like "Push" comes to mind. The little things like that really only work when you stumble upon them with little to no prior knowledge of them. If you read about it and then actively seek it out, it's just not the same. So it's not really a surprise that a lot of those little touches have been removed.

Excellent point.

Also the information that gets out there can end up overwhelming the system and causing things to be discontinued. Exhibit A: You can no longer drop things off at Guest Services to be signed on the cruise ships because so many people read about it on here or saw it on YouTube or other things that it was pretty much taking up ALL the free time the CMs authorized to sign had - yes, they were doing it on their free time out of the goodness of their hearts. There just wasn't enough time. So it went away.

I can tell you the 6 least favorite words of any Disney Cast Member or Crew Member: "I read it on the DIS." Because pretty much without exception it's some over the top something someone had done and now everyone wants it.

Thank you Jack & Monica! I should clarify. I am nervous that I will love it and my hubby will not for the price point! You are 100% right. I am very excited to be a Disney cruise virgin. And see it all with a 4 yr old princess nut job AND at Christmas time!

Well... except this one thing...

I'd like to start out by saying that I feel bad for feeling this way lol. I feel like I got my feelings way too hurt over it. But I was really disappointed with character interactions. The lines for photos weren't that bad, and I do realize that the meet and greets were supposed to be short that way people could get pictures and move along. But it was obvious from the getgo that the characters were not going to pay much attention or do cute interactions with the adults, only the kids. During the dance party the characters would only dance with the kids or the other adult cast members. Again, that's fine, but even while my friend and I danced nearby and waved to the characters, they would still ignore us. We eventually just left because even though it was fun and everyone was being taught a new dance (and the party was for all ages) we realized that the characters were focused on the smaller kids more than anyone.

Same with photos... the CMs would rush us and only let us get two photos, while they let the families with kids get twenty... that and the Princesses talked to them for longer to both the kids and the adults in those families.

I mean, I know that I'm an adult but I'm still a huge fan of Disney and heard they were known for having awesome character interaction. I've watched videos filmed at Disney World where the characters are great about interacting with EVERYONE, not just the kids. I expected that level and what I received on the cruise was way below that.

In the end I got my pictures and was happy, but I felt rushed and was sad that the characters didn't interact with me more. Especially since I've waited so long to meet all of them. I couldn't wait to talk with the princesses or strike funny poses with Mickey and Goofy... not to sound like a baby, but I was disappointed.

I'm so glad you had a great time. I love that you mentioned things you liked, and also took the time to mention something you didn't like.

This is definitely good feedback.

I hadn't really thought about the way the characters interacted with enthusiastic adults. There have been some good suggestions on this thread on how to get them to interact with you more.

In my case, my wife and I were with our two teen-aged sons. They are good sports when it comes to characters, but are partially doing it for us, and I might have thought it would be just quick interactions and done. I must say, all of the "face" characters really enthusiastic with my sons. Asking them questions, talking, etc. Still the whole thing was quick as there are others in line, but they did a great job of personalizing it for them. To me, this is encouraging to your case. If they can take the time to interact with teen-aged boys, surely you can convince them by your enthusiasm to interact with you too. But I agree, it is something they should be more receptive to.

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent point.

Also the information that gets out there can end up overwhelming the system and causing things to be discontinued. Exhibit A: You can no longer drop things off at Guest Services to be signed on the cruise ships because so many people read about it on here or saw it on YouTube or other things that it was pretty much taking up ALL the free time the CMs authorized to sign had - yes, they were doing it on their free time out of the goodness of their hearts. There just wasn't enough time. So it went away.

I can tell you the 6 least favorite words of any Disney Cast Member or Crew Member: "I read it on the DIS." Because pretty much without exception it's some over the top something someone had done and now everyone wants it.

Perfect example. Almost all of us are guilty of it to some degree. If we would just let things happen organically we'd be better off, instead of trying to force in every experience we've either read about or personally had in the past...in which case, it likely won't work out the way you had hoped.

Last edited:

This post is why I am *nervous* about our 1st ever Disney cruise. We have cruised multiple times on multiple lines before our daughter came around. I am blown-away by how much we paid for our December cruise. I believe in trying something so you can make informed decisions, but I don't see my seasoned-cruiser husband walking off the fantasy and saying, 'That WAS SO worth 2 times more than a celebrity cruise'. ESPECIALLY, when I read things like, 'Wow, you can order two appetizers!'. Yeah. Welcome to every cruiseline ever. My fingers are crossed because I enjoy cruising, and now traveling with my daughter! But the 'diminshing return' idea is why we took a long break from cruising to try different things.....

I understand where you are coming from, as my Brother-in-law was the same before our family trip last year. Did he like it "twice as much" as other cruise lines he has been on? No. Not really. But he had a wonderful time with us and his family and he is glad he has had the DCL experience. Probably he will go back to cruising other lines for less money. But that doesn't reduce the enjoyment he had on this cruise.

So I would say, go for the experience, enjoy it, and try not to worry about if it was "worth it" or not. Who knows when your husband sees your daughter interacting with some character or other, maybe he'll be running to sign up for another one. But even if he doesn't want to return, you'll have tried it and have had a great time.

Thank you Jack & Monica! I should clarify. I am nervous that I will love it and my hubby will not for the price point! You are 100% right. I am very excited to be a Disney cruise virgin. And see it all with a 4 yr old princess nut job AND at Christmas time!
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that so much! We invited my parents along, and they've been on 5 other cruiselines but that was their first DCL. My dad totally balked at the cost. He enjoyed the WDW trips we took when I was a kid and the one multi-generational one we took a few years ago, but he's by no means a big Disney fan. My mom likes the movies, but it would be a stretch to call her a big Disney fan. They LOVED it. I don't think the "Disney" things mattered to my dad - the characters, or the stage shows centered on Disney characters - but he loved other aspects of it that you don't get on other cruiselines. For example, rotational dining, which not everyone likes, but my parents enjoyed having the same servers and different dining rooms. They were very, very pleased with the live entertainers, partially b/c they thought they were so talented, but also b/c my mom is tired of risque comedy, etc. I could go on, but the end result was that they decided to take the entire family on DCL to Alaska next year. They know full well that it costs more. But they want that experience with all their grandchildren together, at least once.

Perfect example. Almost all of us are guilty of it to some degree. If we would just let things happen organically instead of trying to force in every experience we've either read about or personally had in the past...it likely won't work out the way you had hoped.

Yep. My Brilliance cruise to the Med in 2016 was another example with a twist. There was a shuttle from the port into Ravenna. The first cruise on that itinerary came back and reported that there was no fee for the shuttle this year. But in between, the city/port decided to attach the fee. So our cruise had to pay it. I know I included that in my “glows and grows” letter to RCCL after and told them about that - and said that this was a case where they really should have considered eating the price of the shuttle for the summer. And the person I was communicating with agreed with me.

While I think you are perfectly entitled to your disappointment, I think it is too late to do anything. If this happens again, talk to guest services while you are on the cruise. Glad it wasa great vacation overall.

Respectfully, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I mean "something that is not expected". That doesn't mean you are not going to be content or moved by it (I, for myself, am also still moved by the view of the Castle although I won't tear up like I did the first time). It just won't surprise you anymore. Once you've experimented something, you have expectations when you do it again.
I'm sorry, but I'm still surprised, maybe It's Alzheimer's! We did 5 cruises in 7 years on the Wonder and each was exciting along with the same shows. Maybe if you've been on 5 DCL cruises in less than a 1 1/2 years, like I've seen in some other posts, you would not have any surprises,

If you read about it and then actively seek it out, it's just not the same. So it's not really a surprise that a lot of those little touches have been removed.

Nah. If Disney chime figure out how to *limit* things then those things wouldn't "have to be" taken away. If they are overwhelmed by responses to good things that people want to experience, figure out a way to continue to offer it without just taking guy ball and going home.

Everything they've taken away that I can think of could still be offered if they could manage to do that.

One thing I have found on the ships (Dream, Fantasy, and Magic) is that especially with the face characters, you might have to lead to get the conversation started.

Example: When I meet Belle, I always like to ask her if she's read any good books lately. When I meet Rapunzel, I'll ask her about her latest painting or something else that relates to her. Those always lead to fun interactions.

My mom and I did the Princess Gathering on the Magic in February and the only awkward interaction was Tiana - probably because I've only seen The Princess and the Frog maybe twice. But we had awesome interactions individually and together with Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Belle. My dad joined us for Frozen and we had fun interactions there too - talk chocolate with the girls and offer Olaf warm hugs. :)
Great idea for getting a conversation started with the characters. Never thought of that. Thanks! Next time we see Chewbacca, I can ask him how he's been doing in the archery competitions lately.

Nah. If Disney chime figure out how to *limit* things then those things wouldn't "have to be" taken away. If they are overwhelmed by responses to good things that people want to experience, figure out a way to continue to offer it without just taking guy ball and going home.

Everything they've taken away that I can think of could still be offered if they could manage to do that.

IMO, the signing thing was taken away because people were bringing more and more outrageous things to get signed. Some of which were probably appearing on auction sites. If I'm not mistaken, they had already tried to limit the number of things you could get signed.

I think that the reason for this is because most adults are just interested in getting a picture with the character or princess, so they devote more interaction time with the children instead.

I also wonder if a Princess interacting with a young man was plastered all over the Internet as "Cinderella flirting with my man!"

I'm sorry, but I'm still surprised, maybe It's Alzheimer's! We did 5 cruises in 7 years on the Wonder and each was exciting along with the same shows. Maybe if you've been on 5 DCL cruises in less than a 1 1/2 years, like I've seen in some other posts, you would not have any surprises,

I don't know... I've had 3 within 2 years and while I had a great experience each time, I'm ready to move on.

I kind of see where the OP is coming from but from a different perspective. I've only sailed with my adult children or solo until this last cruise where we took my 17 month old grandkid.
Ive not lined up for photos before but I have watched folks get character photos. However, I have to say that on every occasion my little cutie met the characters they spent ages and ages with her. They got down to her level, let her tickle their noses, hugged her, let her kiss them and generally made a fuss of her. Of course this was brilliant for our family, and it totally made our cruise, but perhaps the other side of that is that others had their time cut a bit tp make up for it.

I think that the reason for this is because most adults are just interested in getting a picture with the character or princess, so they devote more interaction time with the children instead.
I'm kind of suprised adults care about this stuff. Especially to the extent to want to talk to the characters like they are real. I always thought it was just for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter