Was it magical for you as a child?

heart4dis

Mouseketeer
How many of you went to WDW as a child? What do you think is the youngest age for remembering the experience on your own (without the help of Mom and Dad reminding you with pictures and videos)? Was is as magical as a child as it is as an adult? What was your favorite memory and how old were you?

I dreamed of going to WDW as a child, but my family could never afford it. I went as an adult and was so thrilled and fell under its spell! I am now a huge fan, but I wonder if I appreciate it more because I saw it as an adult...I guess I'm wondering if my children will be either more jaded by going as children or if I am now building up their expectations too much (I may be guilty of that!! I gush about Disney.) We're going no matter what, I would just like it to be AT LEAST as wonderful for them as my first time was.

I took my nephew when he was 4 (I didn't have children yet). He remembers because we show him pictures and talk about it. My youngest will be 7 (he'll have his bday at WDW) and I hope he'll remember it. The others: DD11, DS10, DS8...and DS7

In a lot of ways I think it is more magical as an adult, mainly because you appreciate all the detail and the little things. We see more then children do, we see the little details on the ride, children see the ride.

Children will find it magical and my children love it and find it magical, but I think I appreciate it more.

I have been going to WDW since it opened in 1971, we took a family trip every summer. One difference is we didn't usually stay at a disney resort and now I do. I thought the contemporary was the best thing on earth as a child, now thta I have stayed there I like it even more!

I clearly remember visiting DL as a child and teenager and not being impressed because of the lack of "big" rides along the lines of Six Flags. Now at the time I thought it was "cool" to go on the biggest and fastest rides and I remember thinking that Space Mountain was lame! I also really liked Universal Studios in Ca. way better than DL at the time.

Then I visited WDW in my 20s and I was just blown away! I fell in love with the place and could not wait to go back. I could care less about the "rides" I really soaked up the atmosphere and the details.

So having said that, my kids are still young enough that they are not just looking for the big rides,so they really do enjoy all that WDW has to offer. But I do know of friends who are thrill ride fans who brought their 11 -15 y/o boys to WDW and were not impressed. They did however really like Universal, again because of the rides.
So to answer your question, I guess it depends on what kind of park your kids are looking for. Plus now there are more "thrill" type rides like RnR coaster and TOT in MGM and splash mountain. I would prepare your kids that the rides are cool but not to expect Six Flags type rides. I do think that adults and young kids are really the ones that appreciate WDW the most. Have fun!!!!

I was 13 when I went the first time. We drove down in our 5th wheel trailer. Mom, dad, myself, 2 younger sisters & 1 younger brother. We stayed in FLA for 1 month & at WDW for over 2 weeks in FW.

It was magical for my when I was a child & that is definitely the reason I am such a fanatic today.

My best memory/memories are being in FW, especially the campfire program. Having Mickey Mouse ask me to marry him (LOL :rolleyes: ) and buying the giant stuffed Mickey Mouse to take home. I paid for it myself with my allowance & at the time it cost $26.50! :eek: I had to have it though!!

For me Disney is just as magical when I'm an adult. I look forward to each trip more & more because I know what a great time I have with my own family. :p

We started going to Disney when I was about 7 (I think).
We went 2x a year every year until I was 15 and my Dad passed away. Due to my families religous beliefs we did celebrate holidays and this is what my father did for us. He also would sometimes bring another family that was less fortunate. He always said "Hey, its just money, Ill make more" He was a wonderful generous man!
Well it was quite a few years later before I could afford to bring my own children to Disney. I was a single mom and worked 3 jobs at once and used my income taxes to afford it. Of course every one I know thought I was just simply crazy. Well, let me tell ya....
As a child, I loved Disney. It was fun, it was our Christmas and birthday. When I went back as an adult, and walked up to the castle for the first time, I felt like I was home. I could vivdly remember things we did when we were kids that I hadnt thought about for years. Like when my dad got on BTRR thinking it was a ride like a small world.:p Or when one of the charaters fell over the railing near the castle and he helped him get up. And the riverboat breakfast that used to be there that we always had to go to and goofy would put his mouth over dads head. E-Tickets. So many many other things I wont bore you with...Anyway, my point is, yes they will remember even if they think its lame now, it will be the one thing that noone can ever take from them. The house we grew up in is gone, but Disney is eternal.

We've also been going every year to WDW since it opened, at which time I was 3 yrs. old. I feel I've appreciated different things at different ages, but it's always been just as magical no matter which age I was. Even now, when I walk under the train station and get my first glimpse down Main Street, smell the cookies in the bake shop, or look up at the windows on the 2nd floor of the buildings on Main Street or in Adventure Land the feeling I get is just as special and magical as when I was a little child. For me it's never been just about the rides, but about the whole atmosphere, and that is why my brother, sister and I now take our families to WDW for vacation as well...we want them to have the same great experiences and memories that we had growing up.

[color=3300ff]My first memory of WDW is riding the monorail and having to hold my dad's hand as we got off so I must have been 2 or 3 I think. I remember looking down at the floor as we got off and seeing light shining up through the space between the monorail and the loading station. I realized that we were way off the ground. I don't remember anything else from that trip.
The first trip I really remember was when we took my younger brother for the first time. I was 8 and he was 5 and our parents had surprised us. It was just a day trip to MK but my parents had to scrimp and save for it. I remember them telling us that we couldn't get any souvenirs but we could've cared less. We were just so glad to be there. As we walked back out to the parking lot that night my brother stopped my mom and told her with big tears in his eyes that it was the best day of his life.[/color]

The first time I ever went to WDW was on my senior trip in high school. I was 18. Most of my friends had already been there at least once, and the only thing they wanted to do was lay on the beach at the Poly to get a tan. I ended up touring MK with a guy friend of mine, and you would have thought I was 5 years old.

The second time I went was 3 yrs ago with DH, DD14 and DS10. It was the 1st time for my kids. It was even more magical. My DD actually got embarrassed because I got so excited when I saw the princesses in the parade at MK! There's just something about walking down Main Street that is pure magic. I think they put something in the air in Disney to give you a feeling of euphoria.

My family couldn't afford to go when I was a child. The funny thing is, my parents went to WDW twice with their good friends since all of the kids have grown and are out of the house. I would ask my dad, "How come you never took us to Disney, and now you've been there twice with Mom?" He said (jokingly but truthfully), "Because it's much cheaper to take 2 people than 5!" LOL.

That's ok. We recently joined DVC, and guess what? We're taking my parents with us. More magic memories to be made.

Sheri

I went to Magic Kingdom in 1971. I remember having fun but not being hooked. I really became hooked the first time I took my children in 1993. Since then I can't seem to get it out of my system. My kids are Disney Pros and I am hoping someday my grandkids will be too! :earsboy:

I remember bits and pieces of our first Disney trip. My sis and I were 7 years old. The whole family went...us two, mom, grandma, aunt, uncle and our 3 cousins (8yrs older, 9 yrs older 12 yrs older). I remember my cousin whom is 8 yrs older taking me on the speedway, he kept joking that we were going to crash and go off the road. Now I remember really thinking I could drive LOL. I also remember our aunt yelling at some teenager, he was chewing tabocco and spitting it everywhere. She yelled at him to stop! I also remember getting swimmers ear, driving to Coca beach and going to Kennedy Space center.
Twinz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter