• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wasn't crazy about the studio lockoff at OKW

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
DH & I just returned from an anniversary trip. We stayed at our home resort, OKW. We were assigned a studio lockoff in building 35.

The first 2 nights were fine because no one was next door in the 1BR. Then............we had a crabby mom & her rambunctious child next door. We could hear pretty much everything that went on in that room.

We knew when bedtime was, when "Jr" was watching TV but shouldn't have been, when they were going to the parks, etc.

Everytime time my DH would turn up the TV or talk loudly I would tell him to quiet down because I didn't want to to disturbe the people next door!

Are all studios at OKW lockoffs? We've only stayed in 2BR's before. I think I would request not to have a lockoff next time if we could. Just didn't enjoy listening to the neighbors! :rolleyes:

(BTW - building 35 needs some work - we reported some major things we saw)

Yes, all studios & one bedrooms are lock-offs at OKW, I think. One trick is to roll up a towel or place extra pillows between the connecting doors. Most of the sound travels through the airspace under the doors.

We haven't stayed in 1 bedrooms very often, but I can only think of one time we had a noisey bunch in the studio next door. We too just stuffed a towel at the bottom of the door, and it helped a lot. We usually have 2 bedroom dedicateds, so the only noise problem we have had is when we are under a GV. That is especially annoying if the kids upstairs have a new superball!

I've stayed in many OKW studios but have only had this problem twice. Both times we had families next door who shouted their 'conversations' to each other - but one of the times was even worse, because the adjoining 1BRM had a doorbell (bldg 56 I think) which made me jump out of bed when they had visitors late at night; it sounded like it was ringing in our studio! I'm sure I've not noticed doorbells anywhere else at OKW.

Thankfully, most 'neighbours' seem to be considerate :)

We have also had this problem. It was so bad, the people next door brought their own BLENDER!!! They had late night parties after the parks closed and made frozen drinks ALL NIGHT LONG!! It was pretty bad. We tried everything, we turned the TV on, we had the fan running, put towels under the door and stuffed pillows between the doors..nothing worked. I did call next door and asked if they wouldn't mind stopping the blender (it was midnight), they refused to stop, I called the front desk, they went to the room and stood outside their door and heard nothing, so they refused to ask them to stop. I called DVC to use extra points to get a 2bdrm. Now we only stay in a 2bdrm. I will NEVER go through that again.
That being said...I LOVE OKW!!

:scared1:
we are ot OKW Nov @ Thanksgiving time in a one bedrm & DH is a light sleeper!

It is obviously too late to change resorts. I never thought to ask DH's friend if they had noise problems, they've stayed at OKW very often, but do rent the 2 bedrm! Again :scared1:
Boy, does DH get grumpy if he can't get proper sleep!
will do the towel thing--we already use the earplugs.
I guess my next question is where to get a white noise machine--

Jean

I just bring my fan with me ... I use it every night at home for the same reason. Just cannot sleep without it. You can get them in Wal-Mart for around $5 or $6 and they're small enough to put in a suitcase.

HTH's:wave:

The towel usually does a good job cutting down on extra noise. I also turn the fan to "On" instead of "Auto" so that provides some background white noise.

Scoootch said:
I just bring my fan with me ... I use it every night at home for the same reason. Just cannot sleep without it. You can get them in Wal-Mart for around $5 or $6 and they're small enough to put in a suitcase.

HTH's:wave:

thanks Scootch! and WebmasterDoc!:wave2:

Jean

jonestavern said:
:scared1:
we are ot OKW Nov @ Thanksgiving time in a one bedrm & DH is a light sleeper!

It is obviously too late to change resorts. I never thought to ask DH's friend if they had noise problems, they've stayed at OKW very often, but do rent the 2 bedrm! Again :scared1:
Boy, does DH get grumpy if he can't get proper sleep!
will do the towel thing--we already use the earplugs.

Jean

I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike the studio you will have a room between you and the connecting door when you are in bed.

Yes, the OP was talking about being in a studio and hearing noise from the connecting one bedroom. This can be a problem because the living area/kitchen of the one bedroom is right through the connecting door. But as others have mentioned, when sleeping in the bedroom of the one bedroom, you have a long hallway and the living area to buffer the noise, plus you have the bedroom door you can close.

We had the same problem when we were in a studio at OKW. The "neighbors" were having a drinking party, and were playing the game "Quarters". I am not sure how this game is played, but apparently you are required to slam a quarter onto the table, and then proceed to drink. I never knew how loud a quarter slamming onto a table could be. And of course as the game continued, the slamming and voices got louder and louder. Luckily they moved out the next day.

We have also had this problem. It was so bad, the people next door brought their own BLENDER!!!
ACtually, they probably didn't bring there own, but just used the one in the OKW kitchen.

As for the doorbell. There aren't doorbells at OKW, but I suspect they might have brought one of those electronic portable ones along. The speaker was probably on the little shelf by the front hall closet, which would have been right next to the studio door.

dianeschlicht said:
As for the doorbell. There aren't doorbells at OKW, but I suspect they might have brought one of those electronic portable ones along. The speaker was probably on the little shelf by the front hall closet, which would have been right next to the studio door.

Well that's one of life's mysteries solved for me. You know, I never thought of that. I have to say they were a large party who obviously had at least one other villa and they thought that ringing this bell at night was great fun :rolleyes: In their defence (I can spell but I'm English ;) ) when I finally put on my dressing gown to 'mention' it, it did stop.

I also feel I should add that I've stayed at OKW dozens of times, in studios and larger, and have only had problems twice.

I think building 55 has a door bell on the 1-bedroom part.

I stay in studios alot.

generally we aren't bothered by next door.

now once when I had a 1-bedroom - mother got the bed, so I was sleeping on the sofa - boy college kids can party> :cool1: :rotfl2:

I didn't get alot of sleep - they were only there for 2 days - but I don't think they ever slept.

kids can be loud and very excited - after all it is Disney. So I try to ignore them.

In the studio I am always in the bed next to the 1-bedroom.

of course I live in a condo - believe me OKW is much better than home can be.... :rolleyes:

In a 1 bedroom at OKW, I always close the bedroom door in case people get loud in the studio. I remember one time a couple came in late and decided to get "busy" :earseek: . After that, I closed the door.

Was in a studio in building 55, and the room did have a doorbell, and it was LOUD.

That quarters game must have been a nightmare!!!!

Yes, we almost always have a 2BR and boy, from what I've seen here, I'M GLAD WE DO!

MELSMICE said:
(BTW - building 35 needs some work - we reported some major things we saw)

I am very interested in knowing what work needs to be done. We just returned last night & were not completely happy with the housekeeping/engineering work that should have been done in our OKW unit before we arrived. I put my complaints into two categories: 1. housekeeping's lack of attention to details & 2. lack of communication between housekeeping & engineering. I did speak twice to the head of housekeeping, but I will be working my way up the chain of command this week.

JudithM said:
I am very interested in knowing what work needs to be done.

Room 3536..........

--Curtains were different lengths
--One curtain as missing the "stick" to pull it closed
--Giant snag/run in the rug
--outdoor patio was dirty - PILES of dead ants on the ledge of the patio. I called housekeeping about this. They called engineering to come clean the patio. :confused3

Building 35..........

--while walking up the stairs I noticed all the black "soot" or dirt that I'm assuming comes from rain run off on the bottom of all the railings.
--Rust spots on a lot of the metal on the staircase
--For the first 2 days we smelled rotting garbage every time we'd go back to our room. Someone did finally come to take care of it.
--Main thing with building 35 - when standing on the patio I looked to my right & the siding was buckled & falling off the building. It was pretty bad.

We reported the siding also when I called about the ants. We just happened to get to our room as engineering was leaving. We asked if he'd looked at the siding & he was never even told about it. :confused3 We showed him & he just said, "Wow, someone has to take care of that." Nothing as done while we were there - but that was only 4 nights.

I know many of these are just little things, but I guess as a DVC member I expect everything to be close to perfect. Maybe my expectations are too high. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter