• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wasn't crazy about the studio lockoff at OKW

donald...really said:
Was in a studio in building 55, and the room did have a doorbell, and it was LOUD.
am not freaking out quite so badly, now. I got it:
1) towel under doors
2) ac to 'on' not auto
3) white noise machine
4) earPUGS! :pug: :pug:
donald...really may I invite Fester & Weasley to WDW with us? I would plan
to have one cutie snuggle up to each of my ears for a peaceful & delightful sleep!

Jean

MELSMICE said:
Room 3536..........

--Curtains were different lengths
--One curtain as missing the "stick" to pull it closed
--Giant snag/run in the rug
--outdoor patio was dirty - PILES of dead ants on the ledge of the patio. I called housekeeping about this. They called engineering to come clean the patio. :confused3

Building 35..........

--while walking up the stairs I noticed all the black "soot" or dirt that I'm assuming comes from rain run off on the bottom of all the railings.
--Rust spots on a lot of the metal on the staircase
--For the first 2 days we smelled rotting garbage every time we'd go back to our room. Someone did finally come to take care of it.
--Main thing with building 35 - when standing on the patio I looked to my right & the siding was buckled & falling off the building. It was pretty bad.

We reported the siding also when I called about the ants. We just happened to get to our room as engineering was leaving. We asked if he'd looked at the siding & he was never even told about it. :confused3 We showed him & he just said, "Wow, someone has to take care of that." Nothing as done while we were there - but that was only 4 nights.

I know many of these are just little things, but I guess as a DVC member I expect everything to be close to perfect. Maybe my expectations are too high. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the reply. No, your expectations are NOT too high. These little things add up. That is what I noticed last December. Again my two categories - lack of attention to detail & lack of communication between CMs.

I don't know how long you have been a DVC member, but I have been a member for 12 years & over the last year, housekeeping & maintenance at OKW has not been what it was in the past. A few years ago the CM who was head of housekeeping & engineering commented that each time a member returns, he/she should feel like they just left their home. In other words we shouldn't know/feel anyone else was in the unit.

Well, I can tell you last week, our unit had been "beat to heck" by previous visitors. The closet door had been forced open so hard that the metal on top was bent as was the bolt/nail holding the door upright. The a/c vent in the hallway was smashed in. The counter top in the kitchen had a long cut in it - all the way through (we could tell when we opened the drawer under it). The dining room table top was very loose & rocking on the pedastal. As for towels we had four bath towels, three hand towels & two wash clothes. I should not have encountered these problems if CMs who were in the room paid attention to the details.

I spent time two mornings in a row talking on the phone of the head of housekeeping. Later this week (after the hurricane) I will be moving up the "food chain."

The counter top in the kitchen had a long cut in it - all the way through
Wow! How the heck did they do THAT?!?!?!? I thought the counters were Silestone or some other quartz composit! I can't imagine how they could be cut through unles they had a saw!

I think the communication problem has been evident the past couple trips. Maybe it's because the long time head housekeeper from OKW moved to SSR last year. I hope it hasn't gone down hill that badly when I am there in Jan!

JudithM said:
I don't know how long you have been a DVC member.

We joined in November 2001, so for about 4 years now. DH was always hesitant to purchase, so we initially rented points from an owner.

He was impressed that after almost 10 years the property was kept up so well & that was one thing that convinced him to purchase DVC. He didn't say much this last trip, but I know that I was a little disappointed in the upkeep this time around.

Actually, the one thing he gets most annoyed with is the fact that the Turtle Shack is rarely open. :rolleyes: We usually request Turtle Pond area because it's not as busy as the main pool & if we want we can get some speciality drinks, ice cream, snack. The shack wasn't open at all this last trip & that just bothers him. :confused3 He feels that if the customer is there to buy the product that the business owner should be there to sell it.

I thought Turtle Shack was closed permanetly last year. Did I hear that wrong?

dianeschlicht said:
I thought Turtle Shack was closed permanetly last year. Did I hear that wrong?

Say it ain't so! DH will be soooooooooo disappointed! :earseek:

dianeschlicht said:
Wow! How the heck did they do THAT?!?!?!? I thought the counters were Silestone or some other quartz composit! I can't imagine how they could be cut through unles they had a saw!

I think the communication problem has been evident the past couple trips. Maybe it's because the long time head housekeeper from OKW moved to SSR last year. I hope it hasn't gone down hill that badly when I am there in Jan!

That is exactly what my husband & I asked each other & the engineering CM who came to fix the closet door. Somebody was VERY rough on that room. The counter top has to be repaired/replaced/whatever by an outside company.

I'm glad to know I am not the only member who sees a communicaiton problem.

Every time we have stayed in a studio at Old Key West or Vero Beach it has been very noisy. I don't think it had much to do with the people next door. It didn't sound like they were doing anything wrong, just talking in normal voices or TV at a normal volume.

None of the other DVC's have been like this. We finally got smart and quit staying in studios at these 2 resorts.

The only noise that has bothered me at OKW has been stuff OUTSIDE...once, a boisterous group of inebriated adults by the pool WAAAAY after closing time(so I never want POOL VIEW again!) and almost every time I am slightly annoyed by the squeaky bus brakes (but the trade off is that it is very convenient when we are close to the bus stop). Staying in a GV next week so we will try to be considerate of those beneath us! I do love OKW even though it is not always perfect.

I like OKW very much too. I've never heard noise from above and I've never had a problem in a 1 BR or 2BR, just the studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter