WDW can be cheap for Cdns

Sillyminny40

DIS Veteran
I have found that for 5 of us to go to Orlando, it is half the price of anywhere else. We use airmiles, get a suite with kitchenette, know all the tips found here, buy passes with cdn special, use coupons, etc. What am I missing?
When we went in Jan 2003 I thought "I have had enough" But I miss it.
want to explore other Orlando events as well. What do you do to save money as a Cdn?

When I started saving for our first trip I didn't tell anyone in the family. We never in our wildest dreams thought we could afford a trip. I began with the change jar and opened a savings account. Whenever I came into 'found' money I would save it. For example Rob suggested pizza for dinner, I had used my bread machine and made pizza dough and put it in the freezer. I made it then put the $20 I would have spent on pizza in the jar. I rented a video from the library then put the $3.50 I would have paid in the jar. Little games like that, they sound stupid but the dollars add up quickly. Within a few months I had $800.00. When I showed my hubby the bank book he nearly fell over.

I've just recently discovered air miles for park hoppers so we will see how quickly I can rack up air miles! :teeth:

Hello from Welland. You sound like my kind of gal Melinda, save for WDW any way you can. Have you been to the "Barn" to save money on clothing too. Ruth

Sorry, I should have logged in.......
What is the barn Ruth?

:teeth: Melinda

I am also wondering what and where the Barn is... The only thing I can think of is a commercial I have seen on channel 12 (CH) for that outlet at Prudhommes (sp?). Is that the barn you are referring to?

BTW, I think it is so cool cdntowdw and melindaandrob to see other people from around here... I am also in Welland and my husband and his family are all from Port Colborne. It's nice to know that there are others from Niagara that are as into (or in my case, obsessed with) WDW as I am.

Have a great day!

Yep ... the change jar, and of course those little "money mind games". I, however, do not make pizza, so my $$$ goes in when we say "let's have pizza", and then instead have peanut butter sandwiches :p

Mary Liz

A big hello also to my Welland neighbour beglluvr (makes me wonder what your user name is short for?;)

If you were around here on the DISboard a couple of years ago, we had a Niagra DISmeet over in the Falls. We had a really good turnout and it was a lot of fun. Perhpas, we could at least meet for tea someday.

The Barn is just west of the hilltop gas station on Hwy. #20 (west of Fenwick). It is a business that sells second hand clothing. They have a store and also the "barn" where the clothes are in big bins. It is restocked regularly and you just have to root around to find your size or colour or style. It is a crap shoot each time you go as to what you might find. I have found some really good brand name clothes almost every visit. I have no idea where the clothes come from but most are very gently used. You pay for it by the pound. Current charge is $1.25/lb. It is in an old barn but the bins and clothes are clean. Not everyone's taste but I've got some fine stuff, brought it home and washed it and enjoyed it very much. (even got a lovely pair of designer leather pants once.)
Ruth

Hi cdntowdw! I have never heard of that barn, but I'll be sure to check it out! I wish I had found these boards sooner too, that way I might have been able to take a trip to WDW sooner. My dh and I went to POFQ for our honeymoon 5 years ago and were not able to go again until this past august for our 5th anniversary. I found the DIS about 3 months before we left and now I check it out several times a week... it helps me keep my eye on the ball because we've booked 7 nights at WL for May and I have to keep my savings on track.

It's cool that there are other Niagara-ites on these boards!

Tara

btw, my user name is a short form of Beagle Lover... I have 2 beagles (used to have 3) and had to use an email address of 8 characters or less when I was with Internet Access Worlwide... when I realized I wasn't getting any spam on that email, I hung onto it.

I went last January and had booked via a TA for one week with my then 4 year od daughter. The trip cost me 5000.00 for the week. This January we are doing two weeks for 4 of us and it will include the Cruise for 7 days, as well as 7 days at the Carribbean Beach.

I got a very good hotel rate from Disney using the CAA discount. $118 per night including taxes. Also got the Cruise for 3400.00 CDN for all of us including tax and port charges. I have found that booking things separately is much better and more economical way to go.

We also take along snacks and I made about 1000.00 during a garage sale. We fly out of Buffalo and saved over 1000.00 for air fare. We also asked family members to consider the Disney passes for Christmas gifts. (or a portion of it). I get paid for mileage at work so that money goes directly to our Disney Fund. We also do the change jar thing and found this to be an effective way to go.

Ciau
Tink&Cinderellaprincess: princess: ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Hi everyone ; great tips on extra saving strategies.

I have two strategies that work for us; the first one is that I opened a separate bank account and every paycheque deposit a small amount of $$. I consider this our vacation account and I make sure every week to put something away - it really adds up fast!

Secondly, we only fly to Orlando on points. We live in the north so this is very much worth it for us. I collect points with a CIBC Gold Visa and each dollar equals one point. It is amazing how fast it adds up. We pay all our bills on VISA, gas, groceries ect. Then when we go to WDW we pay for everything on VISA and earn point for our next flight!

Keep the tips coming!

Kimang

I also save money for my vacations using a separate savings account. Every week, I take $50 from my regular account and put it into my savings. It's only $200 each month but like Kimang says it can add up quickly! I sometimes put extra cash in there as well only because if I leave it in my regular account, I know I'll be tempted to spend it.

I also have an Air Milles and Aeroplan credit cards that I use to make many of my purchases. I'm usually able to get at least one free flight this way :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter