We did everything wrong, but it turned out great - Day 5

RVGal

Whaaa?
If you haven't been keeping up with the report so far (and WHY have you not been keeping up with the trip reports? I'm hurt... ), I'll list the links again.

Day 1 is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1473969

Day 2 is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1474912

Day 3 is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1475341

and Day 4 is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1476783

Now that everyone knows way more about my vacation than they ever wanted to, let's continue shall we?

Day 5 is our final day in Orlando. Yes, all good things must come to an end... but we still have a full day before our 8pm flight... so let's get to it!

We have 9:15am reservations at the Confisco Grille for breakfast with Spider-Man. Since they only do the character breakfasts Thursday thru Sunday, this was really the only morning that it was possible for us to go. As I've mentioned before, DS5 is currently in a BIG Spider-Man phase, so he was really looking forward to this one. We made it to US in plenty of time and, whaddaya know, early in the morning there is no wait at the parking booths. I think I might have read that somewhere... :rolleyes1

We go to the Confisco and were seated immediately. Our server came to take our drink orders. Milk for the little guys and juice and coffee for us. "Oh, okay... but you realize that we charge for milk and juice..." WHAT??? At a character breakfast, where you know that a good percentage of the patrons are going to be kids, they charge extra for milk and juice? Well, cancel the juice... but we don't have much choice about the milk for the kids, now, do we? :mad:

We head to the buffet to fill our plates. They have waffles and pancakes (and the pancakes are cute... some are regular and some are red... so if you stack them in alternating colors it looks like the Cat in the Hat's hat) along with strawberry topping and hot syrup (and they are not kidding about the syrup being HOT... it comes out of one of those big silver coffee urns). There was some cut fruit (melons and strawberries), scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns (shaped like stars... very cute), grits, shredded cheese (I think for the eggs, but I used it in my grits) and muffins. Not exactly a huge selection, but we certainly aren't going to leave hungry either.

The organization of the characters was not all that great. We were lucky to be seated in the back corner booth, right by the hallway where the characters come and go, so we caught them all as they were either arriving or leaving.

102629CatInTheHat-med.jpg

102629Thing1Thing2-med.jpg

DS5 really enjoyed Thing 1 and Thing 2. He laughed when they poked at each other and said to me, "Do you think they'll make a mess?" He sounded so hopeful. :laughing:

We finished eating and the waitress brought out our bill. DHs eyes popped and he showed it to me. I knew something was wrong, because the total was more than we paid for our character breakfast with Pooh, and the individual meals are LESS at this character breakfast. I called her over and eventually we realized that she had charged us for both boys. Okay, I know DS2 is tall for his age (he won't actually be 2 for another month), but he only sucked ketchup off a few hash browns. We're already paying for his milk... :rolleyes:
She corrected the bill and brought it back. It was fine this time except I did not particularly like the automatic added gratuity. For a family of 4? I don't know of any restaurant that adds the gratuity for you unless you have a large party... at least 6 or 8 or more. Whatever. We would have tipped her more than the required 15%, but since they forced the 15% on us, that's all she got. :rolleyes1

We paid the bill and waited... and waited. We still hadn't seen Spider-Man. A couple of the tables around us gave up. The waitress kept telling everyone, "You can meet Spider-Man every hour all day over in the Marvel Super Hero Island area." Thank you, but that sorta defeats the purpose of breakfast WITH Spider-Man, doesn't it?

Spider-Man finally made his appearance and, for us, it was worth the wait. He was really great... took a lot of time with the kids... clued in to the fact that DS5 is a fan and generally made his day.

102629Spiderman-med.jpg

Once our time with Spider-Man was done, we gathered our stuff and left. Was this character breakfast worth it? Because our sons had a good time, absolutely. Do they need to work on the character flow around the room? Maybe... or maybe we just caught them on a bad morning. I don't really know and can only comment on our experience. Was the charge for milk/juice and automatic gratuity that bad? No... but it did irk me enough that I will question the decision to do the meal again in the future. It certainly wasn't anything to get our undies in a bunch over, so we went on about enjoying the rest of our day.

Since we had missed out on a few rides at US on Day 1, we decided to head over there and spend the day.

102629Walking.jpg

Of course, between breakfast and the walk, we arrived at US at about... say it with me... 11am. Sigh.

The wait times for Shrek and Jimmy Neutron weren't bad, so we did them both. DS2 and I sat in the benches along the front of Jimmy Neutron, while DH and DS5 were in the moving seats. Then we wound our way back to Shrek and as we were leaving, DS5 spotted Fiona walking over to stand next to Donkey.

102629JoshuaDonkeyFiona-med.jpg

102629JoshuaShrek-med.jpg

This was practically nirvana for DS5... to be photographed with the Shrek characters, while wearing his Shrek shirt, and while holding his brand new Puss in Boots toy. Ah, for life to be that simple again... :)

I tried and tried to talk DS5 into riding MIB with me, but he just wasn't interested. "It's like riding through a video game. You get to shoot aliens." Nope. Nothing. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

We saw the Animal Actors show and I thought it was really good. DH and DS5 rode the Woody Woodpecker Coaster and they said it was fun. DS2 spotted the sign for Barney and we found ourselves seeing that show again. This time we had a Mr. Peek-A-Boo (last time it was a Mrs. Peek-A-Boo) and he wasn't quite as enthusiastic as the first Barney pre-show we saw. DS5 looked at me as we were walking into the theater and asked, "Is Mr. Peek-A-Boo married to Mrs. Peek-A-Boo?" :laughing:

The boys got to run around in Barney's Backyard again.

102629JoshuaBarney2-med.jpg

102629DanielBarney2-med.jpg

And had a wonderful time again.

It was getting to be time for us to wind down our vacation. On the road back to the entrace to turn in our stroller, we caught a few more characters.

102629Scooby-med.jpg

We finally made the trek to the airport, turned in our rental car, and settled in for that last wait to board our flight home.

As we sat in our seats on the plane, DS5 looked out the window and said, "Bye bye Spider-Man."
DS2 responded with, "Bye bye Barney."
"Bye bye Shrek."
"Bye bye Cat."

They kept it up until after takeoff.

I guess it is safe to say that we all had a fabulous time. One of the great things about visiting the theme parks regularly is that there isn't that "We have to pack it all in... see it all... do it all..." feeling. If we don't catch it this trip, we'll get it next time. This trip was all about moving at a pace that our little guys could handle and would enjoy. If that meant calling it a day after only a few hours in the parks, so be it. We'll have the stay-until-closing visits when they are older, I'm sure!

TR was fabulous! Thank you again I had a great time reading it all and so did my DS's.

TR was fabulous! Thank you again I had a great time reading it all and so did my DS's.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else that replied to my previous days' posts!

It was really fun to sit down with the pictures and the park guides and replay the whole vacation out day by day in my head. It made the inevitable return-home chores (laundry, unpacking, laundry, bookkeeping, laundry) more tolerable. Not fun, but tolerable... :goodvibes

Thanks for being honest about the character breakfast. We've been planning on doing it this trip since DS and DH are both fantastically huge Spiderman fans, but maybe just the 2 of them can go and DD and I can go do something else fun.

Excellent trip report. You were so realistic about what to ride and not trying to shove everything in and wear everyone out. It sounded like you actually did have a vacation and probably didn't need another one when you were done.

Thanks for being honest about the character breakfast. We've been planning on doing it this trip since DS and DH are both fantastically huge Spiderman fans, but maybe just the 2 of them can go and DD and I can go do something else fun.

Spider-Man (the character we had our breakfast) was great. I can't say enough good things about him. He talked with DS5 about his favorite cartoons, about school (he's starting Kindergarten this year), and about anything else that my son came up with. He managed to make DS2 comfortable by saying things to him like "I know it's strange that you can't see my mouth, but where should my mouth be?" and DS2 would point to that part of his face and eventually he was smiling and giving him Hi-Fives. He was well worth the wait. After he finished with us, he hopped up on the back of the booth beside ours... in a perfect Spider-Man crouch... and started thrilling the two boys seated there. He was probably the best character I've seen.

We only caught the Cat In The Hat on his way out of the room... so there wasn't much interaction with him. Just a turn, wave for the camera, and he was gone. Thing 1 and Thing 2 we caught on their way in... we were the first table... and they were really funny.

If you have a Spider-Man fan, this breakfast is definitely worth it. If you want a good/plentiful buffet breakfast... well... you read the choices. It's enough, but you are definitely paying for the experience and not for the food. Make your decisions based on that and you'll do fine!

Excellent trip report. You were so realistic about what to ride and not trying to shove everything in and wear everyone out. It sounded like you actually did have a vacation and probably didn't need another one when you were done.

Thanks! I tried to be flexible about what rides to ride. There were some things that I REALLY wanted to go on, but I just had to let it go this trip. Those years will come!

We had a wonderful, relaxing time and we all look forward to a return trip sometime in the next year or so... :goodvibes

Great report but judging from the pictures I'm not sure who had more fun your husband or your kids! Glad you had such a great time.

Thanks RVGal, we definately would be there for the experience-the breakfast part of it isn't a big deal, but the chance to actually talk to Spiderman is (I may have to put DS in a pullup!! lol).

Hi RVGal. I have been loving this trip report and hate to see it end. I love the pictures! The one of your husband holding your sons hands is priceless.
By the way, where in NE Ga are you? My mom was born and raised in NE Ga.

Hi RVGal. I have been loving this trip report and hate to see it end. I love the pictures! The one of your husband holding your sons hands is priceless.
By the way, where in NE Ga are you? My mom was born and raised in NE Ga.

Thanks!

I am in the tiny town of Cleveland, GA (home of Babyland General... where the Cabbage Patch Kids are born... :rolleyes: ). I moved here almost 10 years ago. I was born in Atlanta, raised in the 'burbs... so moving to the rural NE foothills was a HUGE adjustment for me. I'm trying to give the kids the best of both worlds. Home in the country, but with regular trips to Atlanta and beyond to remind them that there is a great big world out there!

Thanks for posting all about your trip! It was really great to read. I'm sorry you missed MY posts about the milk & juice being extra at the Spidey breakfast....I was kinda shocked about that myself! :confused3 We did think the food was "okay" (how spectacular can you really make breakfast anyhows?), but i thought the selection was amazing. Every item I thought you could eat for breakfast was there....fruit, cereal, pastries, etc.....i admit, the selection DID surprise me. Our table had a ton of time w/ Spidey.....and when one of the kids said "hi" to him, he said, "I'll be right back....there's a friend over there that's leaving and I want to talk to him first...." (it was a little boy and his folks getting ready to leave....) I think the characters spend more time w/ you there because Confisco's is NOT a HUGE place....therefore, more time to "make rounds" while you eat. Maybe Spidey was late due to traffic your day :confused3 :laughing: or was sick that morning??? We saw Spidey about the entire time we were there....and just Cat in the Hat for about 20 minutes while we were there. Things 1 & 2 were there a lot and had a good time messing around w/ us. (they would take out hairclips, take off the guys' hats...etc... :laughing: ) However, I do agree, ya should do it at least once......

So....how long till planning the next trip?? :rolleyes1

Thanks again for sharing!

i just finished all the reports on your trip.
you did a very fine job on writing it. think you can hire out as my ghost writer??

loved reading each day's event.

sounds like you and the family had a great time!

thanks so much for sharing.
we all love to read other people's adventures

Hey RVGal- I've been to Cleveland, Ga! My mom is from Rossville, Ga. I love Atlanta- my uncle had a horse farm in Roswell, Ga. and we used to go to Atlanta all the time.
I hope you are going back to Universal soon- I loved reading your trip report!

Great report but judging from the pictures I'm not sure who had more fun your husband or your kids! Glad you had such a great time.

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that hubby had just as much fun... if not more... than the kids. We are not the youngest parents on the block (as DH is fond of saying, it took us awhile to find each other), but thankfully we are both kids at heart so we still love to play. We went to US/IOA and WDW before we had children and loved it. Now we get to experience everything from a new angle with them. It's wonderful! :goodvibes

Hey RVGal- I've been to Cleveland, Ga! My mom is from Rossville, Ga. I love Atlanta- my uncle had a horse farm in Roswell, Ga. and we used to go to Atlanta all the time.
I hope you are going back to Universal soon- I loved reading your trip report!

You've actually been to Cleveland??? Wow! Have you heard the latest? We have a new traffic light south of the town square. That brings us up to 3, count them, THREE traffic lights in our bustling city! :laughing:

I love it when the locals complain about "all those folks from Atlanta plugging up our town square with traffic all weekend". We are on the path to Helen (the biggest tourist trap in NE Georgia) and several state parks, so when the weather is nice we get a lot of travelers passing through. Of course, "traffic" around here means that you might have to wait for 2 or 3 extra minutes to get through the square... :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting all about your trip! It was really great to read. I'm sorry you missed MY posts about the milk & juice being extra at the Spidey breakfast....I was kinda shocked about that myself! :confused3 We did think the food was "okay" (how spectacular can you really make breakfast anyhows?), but i thought the selection was amazing. Every item I thought you could eat for breakfast was there....fruit, cereal, pastries, etc.....i admit, the selection DID surprise me. Our table had a ton of time w/ Spidey.....and when one of the kids said "hi" to him, he said, "I'll be right back....there's a friend over there that's leaving and I want to talk to him first...." (it was a little boy and his folks getting ready to leave....) I think the characters spend more time w/ you there because Confisco's is NOT a HUGE place....therefore, more time to "make rounds" while you eat. Maybe Spidey was late due to traffic your day :confused3 :laughing: or was sick that morning??? We saw Spidey about the entire time we were there....and just Cat in the Hat for about 20 minutes while we were there. Things 1 & 2 were there a lot and had a good time messing around w/ us. (they would take out hairclips, take off the guys' hats...etc... :laughing: ) However, I do agree, ya should do it at least once......

So....how long till planning the next trip?? :rolleyes1

Thanks again for sharing!

Yes, I wish I had known about the extra charges before I went to the breakfast. If I had been prepared, it wouldn't have irritated me at the time. Like I said before, it wasn't a big deal and didn't detract from the overall experience. And I agree that Spider-Man was fantastic... spent as much time with the kids as they wanted and made my 5 y/o feel really special.

I don't know when we'll be planning another trip anywhere. We own our own business and it takes an unreal amount of juggling to get away. I know we'll do it again... I just don't know when... :scratchin

i just finished all the reports on your trip.
you did a very fine job on writing it. think you can hire out as my ghost writer??

loved reading each day's event.

sounds like you and the family had a great time!

thanks so much for sharing.
we all love to read other people's adventures

OOOoooo... I'd love to be a ghost writer! Get to hear all the juicy details of someone else's thoughts and then put them in writing in an organized and interesting way? Sign me up! :)

We had a fabulous time and I'm sure we'll have another adventure... someday... sigh... :sad1:

It's nice to know your town is booming! Last my mom heard Rossville's population was up to 2500! I love small towns and I did like Cleveland(Ga.) when we were there. I know what you mean about Helen, Ga.- I had an aunt that lived there also. Your trip report has inspired me to try and start mine soon! We are dealing with seizures again with my son- back to the Neuro. tomorrow so when I have time I will start mine.
My mom said she enjoyed your trip report too- she wanted to know what you were doing with a picture of our son David- the picture of your son with Mickey in your sign. is a carbon copy of one I have of my son! They look just alike!

It's nice to know your town is booming! Last my mom heard Rossville's population was up to 2500! I love small towns and I did like Cleveland(Ga.) when we were there. I know what you mean about Helen, Ga.- I had an aunt that lived there also. Your trip report has inspired me to try and start mine soon! We are dealing with seizures again with my son- back to the Neuro. tomorrow so when I have time I will start mine.
My mom said she enjoyed your trip report too- she wanted to know what you were doing with a picture of our son David- the picture of your son with Mickey in your sign. is a carbon copy of one I have of my son! They look just alike!

I'll have to let my son know he has a double. Of course, that pic was when he was 3 and he's 5 now... but that look he had when Mickey bent down to give him a hug, it was priceless! I guess I'll have to see if I can find a good pic of both boys to put in my signature now. One of the funniest moments from our last trip wasn't caught on film. We were walking up Main St at MK and DS2 looked up at the castle and shouted, "Disney DVD!!!" They do know how to market their products. The three symbols that both of my sons could recognize at 18 months were Coca-cola, McDonald's, and Disney. Talk about branding! :rolleyes:

I hope all goes well with the doctor. DS5 had a seizure once last year. I wound up calling 911 because he was jerking, eyes rolled back in his head, fists clenching, the whole scary deal. Turns out it was just a fever spike from undiagnosed pneumonia (we have since changed pediatricians) and hasn't happened again. Thank goodness. I think I aged 100 years in that few minutes! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter