We don't eat Fish, FAV REST Coral Reef!

Bev J

DIS Veteran
We just returned from 7 days of dining plan.
MY family does not eat fish, except me. DD also does not eat beef and will eat vegatarian entrees. DH is alergic to mushrooms and DS-11 is just picky. I eat most foods... Beware this is a long post!!!!
Liberty Tree Tavern- Lunch
ME-William Penn Pasta- no spinach YUMM
DH-Pot Roast- no mushrooms (DH is allergic) huge chunk of meat good veg.
Turkey Sandwish- DD talked about this the whole trip- YUMM
DS- Burger- it was a bit on the burnt side...
DS had shake that counted as desert.
Chocolate cake with cherry icecream was soooo good.
Service was very good here, but they would not let DS-11 order from kids menu, even though we still would use an adult credit...
Tusker House
3 X Rotisserie Chicken- very good, but green beans a bit too raw for us
1 turkey wrap with corn chowder, very good
we had an assortment of deserts and all were good

Kona Cafe
Asortment of appys- wings YUM, Chicken soup, kona salad was Very good but the dressing was rather oily- had fresh pear cut in it..
ME- Filet Mignon- soo tender and the sauce on it was outstanding, served with mash potatoes and asparagras
DH/DS-Strip steak- very tender and really had better flavor than my Filet, served with mash and broccoli.
DD had the turker tenders, even though the server said they were not the best- she was right! VERY dry, but the mash and the veg served with them were delish!
DS had strawbery smoothieX2
DD ordered banana creme brulee that she took one bite from and traded to her dad for the Kilahuea Torte that I also had. It was very tasty but rather dry- like it had been baked early in the day and sat around.
Service was very good, although our server was a little scatter brained- it took her a while to relize she had not taken our entree order...weird. My DH and I both had the pressed coffee for our drinks and it was very good!
We all enjoyed the resturant and would return

Wolfgang Puck Express-
The best Counter Service we had the whole trip!!
1/2 BBQ chicken, 4cheese Macaroni, Chick Tenders, Linguine with Chicken Bologniese- all entreees were very good, TS resturant quality.
Deserts- creme brulee was the best, brownies/cookies we are eating them now! Good
The person at the counter seemed irritated when we asked what was included in the plan, but the person who brought out the food was soo nice, even bringing my DH a second cup of coffee.

Rose and Crown-
One of our familys favorite resturants, the first time we ever ate a TS at Disney many years ago was here and it is a must do on every trip.
MY DH And I had taken the Futureworld Tour and it was running a bit late so we were in a rush after to make our ADR, DD and DS had checked in and were seated on the patio waiting for us, we were about 5 min behind them.
Server was sweet and service good as we have come to expect.
We had the potato/leek soup and it was delish! DH/DS had the cottage pie- a very large portion! DD had the chicken pastry and loved it! I had the fish and it was very good, but way too much to eat!
We shared deserts all were good.

Now here is where the review goes down hill...

SciFi Dine In
We were seated promptly, but our server did not come to our car for 15 minutes- DH was getting really PO'd, finially he shows up and tries to rush us through the ordering. Again DS would rather order from the kids menu but no go..
We ordered onion rings, spinach artichoke dip and chili all were very good, but we hard barley taken 2 bites and our entrees came. The little table/ledge was so crowded with food!
DD/ME Rib platter- good but dry, DH/DS both ordered burgers that were very good.
We had a variety of deserts, none too exciting.
Our server sucked...no refills on our drinks, rushed service. It was here that we really felt that since we were on the dining plan that he knew he would get his tip and did not have to work for it.
We will not return here..
The movies and atmosphere were great though!

Now our FORMER favorite resturant and a favorite of this site
Le Cellier.
We ate here for lunch and had looked at the menues online before we left, of course with free dining items have been taken off.
My DD looked at the menu and there is only beef or fish on it. The veg entree has mushrooms that DD will not eat. She tells the server about her 'issues' and the server acts really PO'd and is unwilling to try and accomodiate my DD and is making us all feel unwelcome and uncomfortable...
She takes our drink orders and leaves, no bread or help with the menu. We find a pasta dish that has shrimp on it so DDorders that w/o shrimp the rest of us order steaks. The pasta was the worst food of the trip, the server did not say a word when the plate went back barley touched. DD did tell her it was not good and she seemed to not care...
Steaks were good as usual, DS asked for fries instead of mash and they put the steak ontop of the fries along with the sauce, so soggy fries.
The server paid alot of attention to other tables around us. Again a situation where the auto tip came into play.
We have eaten here probably a dozen times and always had awesome service and food,not this trip at all.

On our last day we had reservations again for Le CEllier, my family said NO WAY! because of our bad lunch experience a few days before.

During our futureworld tour we went into Coral Reef to look around and DH said I would love to eat here sometime, just for the atmosphere! We did look at the menu and there were plenty of choices for us non fish eaters...

So we called Dining at about 10am to see if they have anything available for that day- lunch or dinner for Coral Reef, 6:50! Perfect!! we did cancel the LeCellier one at the same time. The CM taking the call was shocked we would cancel LC and asked several times if we were sure...

Our dinner at the Coral Reef was the best meal of our trip! Imagine that- a family that does not eat fish eating at a fish resturant and loving it!
We were seated within 5 minutes of checking in. A very nice booth on the front level but thankfully not at the tank. We had a nice show from a turtle, divers and assorted fish. MY DS is fish crazy so really enjoyed this alot.
Our server promptly came to the table and took our drink orders. NO shakes or smoothies only soda/coffee/tea for drinks on the plan. Kids wanted glow cubes and we found a variety of prices on these as an add on. from $3-6 forthe same cube but different resturants. They were $6 at Coral Reef!!
Anyway adults had the glowtini, a delish drink made special for the dreams celebration. $9.25 including a glow cube- and not an over strong drink. We had these 2X on our trip.
. We had salads- cesar and mixed. All good and the presentation of the cesar was very nice. Bread was hot and soooo good!
The 3 meat eaters had the strip steak with either fries, baked potaoto or scalloped potatoes. The steaks were the best of the trip and cooked perfectly and very tender. Also carrots were served with. Again a very nice presentation..
The server kept our coffee/water filled and the courses were spaced out very well to give us a chance to enjoy the meal and the fish tank show.
We had the wave and pineapple upsidedown cake for desert.
The wave was awesome!! Even though it is similar to the kona desert this was fresh, warm and so much better. DH reall enjoyed the pineapple cake.
Coffee was fresh and good also.
The server deserved every bit of her tip and at this resturant it was plain that it did not matter if you were on the plan or not.
We are so happy that we got this ADR at the last minute and we will make this a must do on our future trips.
We loved the dining plan, it was great to order anything we wanted and not worry about the prices. WE usually do have one TS per day while at disney.
We learned quickly to share some items,like desert or appy. It is alot of food it you order it all and alot could be wasted. WE will probably always get the dining plan in the future, as we spent way more than the $38 per day/person cost. It was wonderful to get it for free and now we are hooked!
We would be happy to have the tips not included in the plan and pay out of pocket for tips to get better service, it is our feeling that auto tips are not a good thing- at disney or any other resturants we go to.

Thanks for reading. I will be happy to answer questions. MY DD posted pictures in the picture/food thread.

Bev

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews! I can't wait for Coral Reef, only 3 more weeks! :banana:

I noticed you put that your DH was allergic to mushrooms. Did you note this on your ADRs or did you just go with it in mind? My DM is also allergic (as in deathly, emergency room run even with the smallest amount) and I am wondering if this allergy is worth noting ahead of time with dining.

Thanks so much for posting, I agree it is a lot of food! I struggled to eat any desserts in August,

Thanks for the review. I've been especially concerned with the Coral Reef since it hasn't had great reviews. I also agree with you about the auto tip. I posted a thread yesterday about the guest being able to decide how much tip the server should get on the dining plan, but most people disagree and say that they had great service. I really enjoyed reading. Glad you had a good time!

LilyWDW- Every TS resturant we went to asked us when we checked in about any allergies. The server again confirmed this when we were seated.
There were 2 resturants where the server came out and said a sauce could not be served because many of the sauces are made with mushroom broth.
Le Cellier was one of these and I am thinking Coral Reef was the other. All the resturants seemed very concerned about allergies and some offered to have the chef come speak to my DH. Everything he ordered was checked by the chef for mushroom content. We felt very comfortable and thought this was handled very well. As far as counter service goes. he mosty ordered items we knew no mushrooms were in, if we were not sure we asked. One thing I would never have thought mushrooms would have been in was the vegatarian chili at Columbia Harbor house. Just be careful and ask when you order anything.

Bev

LilyWDW said:
I noticed you put that your DH was allergic to mushrooms. Did you note this on your ADRs or did you just go with it in mind? My DM is also allergic (as in deathly, emergency room run even with the smallest amount) and I am wondering if this allergy is worth noting ahead of time with dining.

When you make your ADRs, have the CM notate the allerigies at that time.
Then also speak with you server immediately upon arrival to confirm that the items you are interested in are not made with mushrooms.
It's better safe than sorry... and WDW is very accomodating if they know in advance.

Maybe the trick at Coral Reef is NOT to eat the fish. I have eaten the fish there and was very disappointed...

I am beginning to wonder if the success of LeCellier is spoiling it..... I mean if you are always 100% booked do you care if the customer isn't happy. You will be full even if they don't come back...

I am suppose to go in December and I will see.

Thank you Bev J and MickeyCrazed for your information. I had been wondering if this would be a big enough deal to note when I made reservation, but after reading your posts I think I will go ahead and do it.

Once again, thanks!

LilyWDW said:

My nephew has a similar alergy to milk and milk products. They have always notified the resteraunts well in advance and they were very accommodating.

Another note. Last year, they went to Prime Time (in hind site, seeing how much ice cream and shakes are served, my sister will avoid in the future). They were helpful, but her son started to have a reaction (his lips start to swell and tingle). They notified they waiter to see if there had been a mistake on the ingredients. It appears it was cross-contimination from something else.

Anyway, to my point.. He informed them that they had perimedics inside the park who were notified and came over to the area, just in case. He also informed them that could have a medic chopper there in 3 minutes to get him to the hospital quickly.

Disney may be about $$ for shareholders, but they still provide the best service for my buck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter