We got are orders

lovegrumpy

DIS Veteran
We are a Coast Guard family and found out today that we are heading up to DC. We are so excited. We hope to live at Fort Belvior. We only have 6 more mths here in the great state of FL. :cheer2: :yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1:

Hey - we are Army but Belvoir "might" be where we go after DH's current deplyment. You can look at the housing at www.onestop.army.mil, sorry to duplicate if you already know about this site.

We lived in DC (Andrews AFB) we loved it there. Always something to do....
4th of July is great....at the holidays the decorations are beautiful. I miss it!!

Jennifer

We were in DC 4 yrs ago and sounds like we may be on our way back! Hope to have our orders soon.

Glad you got orders for a place you wanted. It really is a great place to live.

Congrats! I hope you like DC. We're stationed in NC... we like it, but after two years here I'm ready for a change! We're going to be requesting for a transfer when we hit our actual two year mark (in a few months) for Okinawa, Japan. :goodvibes My fingers are crossed that we will get it! I love hearing when people get stationed at places they want though... so I'm very happy for you and your family! Enjoy your time in DC.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
We're a CG family, living about 1.5 miles from the Belvoir gate. The new housing there looks beautiful, we just didn't think we could handle living on post.

Is DH going to HQ or...uggg, can't remember the name of it...the one in Alexandria? My DH is in HQ.

Where are you in FL? We spent 3 years in St. Pete (98-01).

Dh is going to HQ's. We are in Jacksonville but this is are second time in Fl we were in Clearwater back in 96-00. I loved it there not so much here. So is you dh a Sk? We only have 5mths left :banana: This well be are 3rd time in housing and so far so good. (knocking on wood)

Dh is going to HQ's. We are in Jacksonville but this is are second time in Fl we were in Clearwater back in 96-00. I loved it there not so much here. So is you dh a Sk? We only have 5mths left :banana: This well be are 3rd time in housing and so far so good. (knocking on wood)

We've never been in housing. I'll admit that I have an irrational fear of base housing. :lmao: Housing prices are insane. This is the first time in a long time that we've opted to rent. Life is very expensive here, and this is coming from someone who moved from notoriously expensive Alaska.

We were in St. Pete the same time you were in Clearwater (98-01).
DH is an O...but don't hold that against me :)

I can't pretend to be an expert since we've only been here 6 months, but feel free to PM me if you have any question.

We've never been in housing. I'll admit that I have an irrational fear of base housing. :lmao: Housing prices are insane. This is the first time in a long time that we've opted to rent. Life is very expensive here, and this is coming from someone who moved from notoriously expensive Alaska.

We were in St. Pete the same time you were in Clearwater (98-01).
DH is an O...but don't hold that against me :)

I can't pretend to be an expert since we've only been here 6 months, but feel free to PM me if you have any question.

So far i'm doing okey with getting questions answered. I do have one thou i get lost easy. Should I buy a gps system. My dh says no so that way he can laugh when i get lost. Which he does now when i has him which wat i should go. Its a little joke between us. Thats what we have been hearing. We came here from the San Fran area so i'm hoping its kinds like that. If not guess i'll have to get a job. Okey one more question how longs does it take you dh to get to work and home? Dh is going to take the metro in.

That's great that you guys got a good duty station, we were stationed at Fort Meade in Maryland about a year and a half ago, we loved it! We eventually want to retire there (Maryland). There is so much to do and see in Maryland/DC/VA area! You will enjoy it! :)

The housing allowance for the DC area is pretty high. You might want to consider renting somewhere in Fairfax County. I don't know where the base kids go to school, but the schools in that area are very good. We loved our time there, and the only downer to that place is the traffic.

When DH was stationed at the Pentagon we lived in Alexandria VA about a 15 min drive down the road from Ft Belvoir. I used the base for Medical and the Exchange/ Commisary, we really liked it.

Hi there, I'm a Coast Guard wife also, we're in Cape Canaveral area, my dh is on a 210 here, we've been here almost a year, and LOVE it, we actually bought a house, since I grew up 45 mins north of here, so we plan on keeping me here for a while. My Dh is a Gunnersmate, so nice to meet military wives on a board where you wouldn't really expect it!!

Hey there. My DH is at the Pentagon and we live in the City of Alexandria. We are absolutely loving it here. We don't head to Ft. Belvoir very often (it is outside the beltway :scared: ) except to go to the O Club.

Anyhow, I can't say enough about my navigation system. We came from Maine and I actually bought a new car when I found out we were coming here. I would never have been able to easily navigate the city without my GPS.

Good luck with the move.

:wave2: Hi from another Coastie Wife! We are at HQ's as well. We looked at Ft. Belvoir housing. It was very nice. We ended up buying in Fairfax but would have been happy there too. I do remember I had some questions about the school.

We have lived in base housing a couple of times. There are a lot of pros.....saving money and instant friends are just a couple.

The only cons for us were loss of privacy and the occasional last minute notices of having to get yardwork done ASAP because some VIP was visiting/inspecting housing. Since Ft. Belvoir is such a mixed service community, there is a good chance the privacy issue will be a nonissue. (Most likely you won't be surrounded by the people you work with unlike CG housing.)

It can be a little intimidating driving here at first expecially around the mixing bowl :) but you'll learn to navigate it pretty fast. If I can do it with my famous "No Sense of Direction" than you definitely will!

There are a lot of great things to do and see here. We love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter