Week of Sep 25 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

aladdinsgirl said:
When I was running last Sunday, I fell on the path and I busted my left knee, I'm wondering if that fall somehow effected my ankle. I haven't had any problems with my ankle until Thursday. Do you think there is a connection?

Krista princess:

Absolutely there can be a connection. Especially if it was a twisting type fall. Just like a major accident, our body reacts to the most obvious pain, but then other areas of pain present themselves later on. Since it is still hurting I would definately rest it. Also take IB profen round the clock, Ice the foot while your sitting at your desk, and keep your foot elevated. The dull pain you are feeling could be from swelling.

If your achilles tendon is bothering you, you should probably include that area in your normal stretching routine. Use the same method you use to stretch your calf. Lean against a wall with your leg behind you, except unlike you stretch your calf with the leg straight, bend your back leg to stretch that tendon.

Also you can always experiment with your running gait. Sometimes over exertion of the tendon can be caused by a bounding type gait, or running too much on your toes. You can go to a good running store and have them video your stride. They can tell you how your foot strikes the ground. I know you over pronate, but they can also see where your foot first strikes the ground. In distance running it is better to use shorter, quicker strides, keeping your feet close to the ground.

After all my sports injuries, my PT file is more like a binder. This has caused me to be a firm supporter of stretching. With sports like running and cycling, those muscles shorten and really need to be well stretched in order to be supple and avoid injuries. It is so easy to skip stretching, and I mean really stretching (20 min minimum). When pinched for time, stretching is the first thing to get cut from my day. But I end up feeling it the next day.

Also you may want to have someone look at your ankle and give you a better assessment.

This is a good link for run related injuiries. http://www.drpribut.com/sports/pributruna.pdf

OOH, I thought of one more thing. This pertains mostly to Lisa and her potential IT band, but can be applied to all runners. The running surface plays a big part in run injuries. Concrete sidewalks are much harder surfaces to run on than the asphalt road, but if you are consistantly running on the road, on the same side (against traffic) ever single run, you are setting yourself up for injury. The road is sloped to allow water to drain. So by running on the same side of the road all the time you are running at a slight angle, this can cause all sorts of injuries over the long term, especially IT injuries. Best thing to do is to vary the side and surfaces you are running on.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor a physical therapist, but I did stay at a Holiday in Express :teeth:
My medical degree is from the school of hard knocks, dings, pulls, breaks and sprains. Currently, this school is not accredited.

Dave

Dave you are so funny....

I found another source of my pains...

The rectus femoris and a hidden muscle underneath it--part of the quads...it is on my right leg...to the slight left of the ITB.

Gonna work that out. Also going to take back my Brooks. They were nice while they lasted...but coincidence or pain source..the knee trouble started when they came on board.

I really am going to run this week!!!!! I swam tonight for about 1000 meters. It was a nice easy pace and it felt good. I didn't want to get too aggressive until my bod was rested from the adventure race! Anyway, I am supposed to be on the 2nd week of a 16 week program. I am just going to start with the long run on thurs becuase I have basically done the 1st week about 1million times!

Looks like everyone's training is going well! I need to get motivated to acturally start mine. I think running may be the only thing I can do on thursday anyway, because my rear is too bruised from all of the mt. biking this weekend to get on the bike! :teeth:

Melissa - WOW! You are AWESOME! Would LOVE to do a race like that. :cool1:

Anyway, ran 4.25 today. Was going to do 6 but a woman walked into the gym with the strongest perfume (sp?) and it made me sick. :eek: :faint: :crazy2: :sick: I could not finish. She was not even close to me. People were trying to get away from her (it was funny). :rotfl: Then I lifted for the rest of the time. Going to try a kick boxing class @ the YMCA tomorrow with my sis. I may run a little b/4 that, or not. Will let you know.

Keep up the good work all. AND BE CAREFUL! I know I will.
Christa

I finally decided that I was oging to get my shoes from the local store, which meant leaving my ASICs behind. Guess what? I din't like any. My dh loves his Mizuno's. I don't know if I was being picky, but they just did not feel right to me. I'm gonna' look for ASICs to night.

Did my XT yesterday adn am on track for the week.

MelR -- You're alive! :rotfl: Wow what an adventure. It sounds so exciting and excruciating all at the same time. I'm glad you survived. The Boy is going to be so impressed with you when he's old enough to understand the crazy stunts mommy has pulled :p

Krista-- I hope you work out your ankle issues soon. Glad to see Dave is here with lots of ideas. I'm reading them all carefully, too.

The jogger attack is terrible. It really made me think. I have had two creepy experiences on my Sat AM runs. I hit the bikepath before dawn and don't usually see another runner/biker/blader for 30-40 minutes. Twice I have encountered suscpicious men (one drunk, one smoking-- not fitness people) that scared me. Last week I was feeling scared when I started and there was a dog that must have snuck out of his house. He ran with me for the first 4 miles which was so comforting (he's a golden ret). But I felt bad because he got bored and wandered off four miles from his starting point. I hope he found his way home.

Anyway, I think I will run the first 30 minutes on sidewalks instead of the path. I start in a center of town where there are police cruisers, delivery trucks, etc. milling around before dawn. It wouldn't be so isolated. I will also do the bun instead of pony tail idea. That's a smart idea. I suppose I could even forego my headphones until the sun comes up. That one will be hard. I just can't wait until the path is populated to start my runs because then it would eat into family time too much. Too many demands on a LD running Mom!!!!

This week is my easy taper week. I did an easy 4.4 mile run on the TM on Monday with upper body weights. Yesterday was lower body weights and rower for 30 minutes. Today will be another easy run and then virtually nothing Thurs and Fri before my half.

Sunny

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while. I don't know why but I feel so lost in this thread. I need to make this a priorty to get connected since the race is coming up soon.

I've been running outside a lot more lately instead of using the TM so much. I still feel like I lost a lot of what I had built up from last spring prior to hurting my foot/feet. The good news is absolutely no pain.

I ran/walked 3 miles last Thursday, 4 on Saturday and 3 last night. I need to officially committ to the MFM schedule next week. The bad thing is I feel like I can't run as long as I was before. I am completing my miles at 13 minutes (something) even with a lot of walking so that is good. I'd like to bring that down a little but its not too bad.

Today I'm going to go buy at least 2 more running outfits. Only having one "real" good running outfit is getting hard to keep it clean to run.

Everyone sounds like they are doing fantastic. I hope I have some improvements to talk report about soon.

Sunny - good luck on your half this weekend! I'm sure you will do Great!!!

Melenie - welcome back. Your pace looks great!!!! I'm glad you are not having anymore pain with your feet.

Carrie - I posted a link last week about cheap asics cumulus shoes. I can't remember the exact link, but I think they were in the 40-50dollar rage at sierratradingpost.com. I just ordered trail runners from there.

today is a rest day. tomorrow i'm jumping into my training program at the week 2 long run. after that, i have got to get some roadriding in for the century in a couple of weeks. It should be a lot shorter and cleaner than my last race!!!!

plutosmyfav said:
The jogger attack is terrible. It really made me think. I have had two creepy experiences on my Sat AM runs. I hit the bikepath before dawn and don't usually see another runner/biker/blader for 30-40 minutes. Twice I have encountered suscpicious men (one drunk, one smoking-- not fitness people) that scared me. Last week I was feeling scared when I started and there was a dog that must have snuck out of his house. He ran with me for the first 4 miles which was so comforting (he's a golden ret). But I felt bad because he got bored and wandered off four miles from his starting point. I hope he found his way home.
Anyway, I think I will run the first 30 minutes on sidewalks instead of the path. I start in a center of town where there are police cruisers, delivery trucks, etc. milling around before dawn. It wouldn't be so isolated. I will also do the bun instead of pony tail idea. That's a smart idea. I suppose I could even forego my headphones until the sun comes up. That one will be hard. I just can't wait until the path is populated to start my runs because then it would eat into family time too much. Too many demands on a LD running
Sunny - Good luck on your race! I know you will do great!! Is it a 1/2? If so are you going submit your time to move up in corrals for WDW? I did that last year and got to corral "B"!:goodvibes
Anyway...I have been thinking about you and your 2 experiences with the men. I have worried. This girl in Charlotte was on a busy street in Charlotte about 0700 (beginning of rush hour) and this happened so everyone be SOOOO careful. It has really upset me and Bree. We run on East Blvd for ALL our LRs and some SRs so this really hits home. The pony tail thing is a great idea, but I think the main thing is to be very aware of the surroundings, b/c they could always grab an arm or something else. :confused3 The guy is sick and has not been caught. My DH will run with us Friday, but we are still scared.
Biked today....No kick boxing b/c the teacher did not show.:mad: But I am now an official member of the YMCA :cheer2: so I can start swimming. After Goofy, I want to do Tris!
Christa

Christa - I loved your story about the TM. Maybe you should find out what type of perfume that woman was wearing. We could wear it during our races so that people couldn't get near us to pass and we could win!!!

Hey - all good here. Did my 5 miles last night - walked up some of the hills just because but otherwise it was okay. Tonight running buddy wants to do 7 miles so will probably join her with that - although the weather's looking grotty today so I may end up on the treadmill (no, please, no).

Scary news about that attack. It's odd here because you do feel safe - compared to running in London where you're always watching for things (although the scariest thing I saw this year was the policeman walking toward me with a machine gun, I slowed down a bit at that point!!!) - so you get a bit complacent. Clocks change this weekend though so I'll be running in daylight from now till the marathon.

In other news, anyone else going to enter the Disneyland Half? I'm going to do it, can't miss an inagural race I figure - but I'm glad it's 'only' a half as I'll probably have to tack it on to my return trip from England (during which I spend 10 days eating and drinking waaay too much). Can't imagine doing a marathon after that nightmare.

Anyway, (hi ho, hi ho) it's off to work I go. Helen

I am just beside myself...I hate to bring laundry over from the otherside..but I'm gonna...

On the Amazing Race this season..there is a family who run. The mom and dad have competed in several marathons and intend to go for the marathon in all 50 states (yes, there is a club--must do 10 different states to qualify for membership to go for the gusto).

Anyway--a personal trainer....OMG...did not believe for one minute b/c of the mother's physique--that her being a several time marathoner was possible. B/c runners have little body fat and this is a fact. That perpetually training for a marathon--you will have no fat. OMG. This woman is smoking crack.

As I said--hate to bring the laundry as I am so steamed....I told her they come in all shapes and sizes and her responses was that this woman must talk the talk but not walk the walk.

So I'm expecting to find--essentially an overweight woman over on the site. Not even close--I find a 42yo woman who looks very healthy and certainly not even close to overweight..with 2 young children (her daughter runs a 7 minute mile).

ETA: Mom has completed 2 marathons in the last year...including the ING NYC marathon in 4 hours 38 minutes. This lady ROCKS!!!

bio_pic_gaghan.jpg

So I post...that as a marathoner with a high BMI...that I support the family of runners.

She offers an apology that I took it personally as she didn't know that I was big or whatever.

Hello--me and this woman in the photo are about the darn same size!!!

Good grief. So I called it like it was...I said we are not all world class athletes..this woman looks great....and in the running world...attitudes like what this poster had are considered elitist and it was judgemental, sad, and unprofessional for her to make such a statement!

So stand proud girls--training is in HIGH gear! You do not need to be on the cover of Runner's World to be a marathoner (or halfsy) in my book!

Game on---LET'S PLAY WITH THE BIG DAWGS!!!!

ETA: This was the statement:

Also I guess I am wary of her because her bio saids she is a marathon runner, I am a personal trainer and she does not seem to be a runner. It will be interesting to see how she does in the challenges.

Essentially calling this woman a liar.

Hey Ya'll!

Just in for a quick hello.

Lisa - Christa and I have come to the conclusion that people say the stupidest things. I mean not to get on a soap box but people just don't think before they give you their opinion on things. I have had many people look at me and say...to my face mind you..."YOU run marathons?" Uh yeah, I've run THREE marathons, and I'm training for my FOURTH AND FIFTH. I am a normal sized person and I have been passed by folks I would consider to be overweight, and I'm not the slowest person in the pack...well maybe in the Boston marathon I would be, but most others no. So don't judge the package, be impressed by the ability. I bet that woman is very encouraging to her clients ;) She sounds ignorant.

Today was speed work day. We meet at a local college track every Wednesday morning at 0600, and today we were (at least I was) entertained by an ROTC group doing drills. Just as I would get tired and wish I was back home in bed, I'd look at those guys and girls and think BLESS YOU for what you are doing but thank goodness it's you and not me. Also, everytime I'd start to be impressed by my speed time (today my best was an 8:27 mile) I'd get lapped by our friend that is training for the ironman tri in two weeks. This guy can run like less than a 3 hour marathon or something crazy like that. To watch him run is impressive. He says he works out 9 times a week, most days doing two workouts a day. WOW! What motivation. More power to him, 'cause I subscribe to the "do as little as possible to get you to the finish philosophy" :rotfl2: Well maybe not that bad but darn close to it.

later for now....
~Bree~

Lisa loves Pooh said:
On the Amazing Race this season..there is a family who run. The mom and dad have competed in several marathons and intend to go for the marathon in all 50 states (yes, there is a club--must do 10 different states to qualify for membership to go for the gusto).

There is a guy who is a perfect 12'er (someone who has run every WDW marathon), named John Bozung. I ran with him for a little while during a marathon in OC Maryland. Anyway, on the back of his shirt it said something like 50 marathons in 50 states. I went up to him and was like, "wow that is impressive, 50 marathons." He then told me that this was actually his 189th marathon and in fact he was the second man to run a marathon on every continent during the same year. A Japanese guy beat him by a few weeks upon learning of John's intention. John actually won the marathon that was run at the base of Mt Everest, his only victory. Anyway, I went home and looked this guy John up on the internet. It turns out, he is turning 52 this year and as his next goal, in honor of him turning 52, he is running 52 marathons in 52 weeks!! One a week!! Unbelievable.

The point that I was trying to make really was when I came up to this guy I would never have known that he was a "stud" runner. He didn't fit the stereotypical image of long distance runner, let alone someone of his running prowess. During his younger days he fit the mold, but he has slowed down and gotten heavier. Marathoners come in every shape and size and motivation. John said he was happy to finish in 4:30 a significant amount slower than he had run in the past. Many marathoners are happy to simply finish. But the point is we aren't sitting on our rear ends, watching TV and eating bon bons (at least not all the time ;) ). We are running or walking 26.2 miles in a single day! And not only that, but have logged many many more miles leading up to that single day. Making it to the starting line is an accomplishment in itself. Anyone who participates in a marathon should be proud of that.

Go get em' girls!!!

Dave
www.thejacksonfour.com

Rockclimber said:
There is a guy who is a perfect 12'er (someone who has run every WDW marathon), named John Bozung. I ran with him for a little while during a marathon in OC Maryland. Anyway, on the back of his shirt it said something like 50 marathons in 50 states. I went up to him and was like, "wow that is impressive, 50 marathons." He then told me that this was actually his 189th marathon and in fact he was the second man to run a marathon on every continent during the same year. A Japanese guy beat him by a few weeks upon learning of John's intention. John actually won the marathon that was run at the base of Mt Everest, his only victory. Anyway, I went home and looked this guy John up on the internet. It turns out, he is turning 52 this year and as his next goal, in honor of him turning 52, he is running 52 marathons in 52 weeks!! One a week!! Unbelievable.

Most impressive!!

Now is it just me, or is anyone else wondering where, and the travel costs involved in finding 52 different marathons.

WOW! 189. WOW!

Hi WISH Team!

Dave, you rock! Love your advice (and disclaimer!)

Krista, hope you figure out that pain thing and heal fast.

OMG! I have not realized we are now actually IN week 15 of our countdown. I am getting sweaty thinking about it. wondering...still wondering.

I enjoy reading what all are doing.

Don't feel "out of it" and then not post. Jump in. We need all of us. It will make for such a great time...really!

I am slogging away at it. WISH I had a bit more time, but I am doing it nonetheless.

Garmin question: I started the darn thing on Tuesday and when I looked at my info it was giving me stats in some sort of "foreign" tounge. It was not set on the kilometer reading (the second drop down choice). It was set on the (first choice, but my reading was not coming in mph. I ended up "resetting" my unit. There must be a better way. This is the second time I have discovered this other unit and I don't know how to get back exactly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Tiger Lily 03 said:
Garmin question: I started the darn thing on Tuesday and when I looked at my info it was giving me stats in some sort of "foreign" tounge. It was not set on the kilometer reading (the second drop down choice). It was set on the (first choice, but my reading was not coming in mph. I ended up "resetting" my unit. There must be a better way. This is the second time I have discovered this other unit and I don't know how to get back exactly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Lily,

I am by no means a Garmin expert, but I don't know if you have tried this or not. Under the units menu, there are two measures of speed: mph and min/mile. You can switch between either one by setting your speed to biking vs running.
Maybe I misunderstood your question, but I hope this helps (other than that, I can't offer any more great advice on the Garmin--it took me almost two hours to figure out how to get my signal the first time. :) )

Steve

I all-just checking in. Nothing exciting going on , just plugging away at my training. Have gotten off course this last week with my eating so I need to get back at my healthier eating plan.

I love my Garmin. It is so easy to use & I think it will definately help with my training for a certain pace.

I am hoping to go to Disneyland for the 1/2 but I will have to wait & see. That would be so cool to be part of that innaugural event. I have never been to CA so it would be a cool adventure but it may cost too much to get there for this SAHM.

Today is cross training so I'm doing my aerobics tape.

Lily- yes, the fact that we only have a little over 14 weeks is starting to freak me out a bit.

I have been sick all week--no running (well couldn't do that anyway) and no walking. Cannot shake this BLEK!

I will be going to training on Saturday and testing out the new shoes and settling into my new penguin format.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter