Weight/Size on any Disney rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, the only attractions that come to mind would be Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Rock n' Roller Coaster.

Flight of Passage seem to have issues with the leg restraints. People with very large calves have been having problems. I've only heard of a couple of people have a problem with the back restraint. Word going around right now is that the cast members have been getting better at accommodating people but it's not guaranteed.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train has small seats and very limited room for legs so larger people and taller people have both had issues.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has an overhead chest restraint so people with large chests might not be able to make it work.

Here's a video for the Flight of Passage seat that I think may be helpful in general:

I don't think there are any with weight restrictions, but some are a tight fit or uncomfortable for larger guests. Very few have actually reported being unable to ride because of safety restraints, etc. A search for "pooh-size" (or variations thereof) will give lots of details on specific rides and experiences.

Currently, the only attractions that come to mind would be Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Rock n' Roller Coaster.

Flight of Passage seem to have issues with the leg restraints. People with very large calves have been having problems. I've only heard of a couple of people have a problem with the back restraint. Word going around right now is that the cast members have been getting better at accommodating people but it's not guaranteed.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train has small seats and very limited room for legs so larger people and taller people have both had issues.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has an overhead chest restraint so people with large chests might not be able to make it work.

Here's a video for the Flight of Passage seat that I think may be helpful in general:

I just returned from WDW and was terrified I wouldn't fit on Flight of Passage. I'm more than just fluffy. I'm a big girl. I weigh in at 320, size 3XL, and am 5'9. I tested out the test seat and the attendant said it was close so I could try. I had a fast pass and my daughter really wanted to ride it so we got in line. The actual seat was just fine. I heard the click and the attendant pushed the back and asked if it was ok and I said yes. That was it. I am SO glad I tried. It was the coolest ride ever! Easily our new favorite!!! They either fixed things since the opening weekend OR it's not as tight as others made it out to seem. Either way, it was awesome!

I just returned from WDW and was terrified I wouldn't fit on Flight of Passage. I'm more than just fluffy. I'm a big girl. I weigh in at 320, size 3XL, and am 5'9. I tested out the test seat and the attendant said it was close so I could try. I had a fast pass and my daughter really wanted to ride it so we got in line. The actual seat was just fine. I heard the click and the attendant pushed the back and asked if it was ok and I said yes. That was it. I am SO glad I tried. It was the coolest ride ever! Easily our new favorite!!! They either fixed things since the opening weekend OR it's not as tight as others made it out to seem. Either way, it was awesome!

I was over 305 pounds (6'4") last month and this morning weighed in at 282. As soon as I heard that FoP had size restrictions, it was my motivation to lose weight. No exercise, just a specific diet. The main issue tends to be calf size and I read on another forum a gentleman who's calves were 18.5 inches around the biggest part was able to ride. I looked at mine last night and they came at around 14" so I'm hopefully okay. Not sure if any changes have been made to the vehicles themselves or if CMs are just getting better at finding what works.

Personally, I don't think the seats can be too super restrictive or else there would be floods of people posting on message boards and YouTube about it.

I'd like to get my chest smaller to be able to ride some coasters again. I was able to ride RnRC 3-4 years ago but don't remember my size back then but remember the chest restraint was really uncomfortable for me.

I am 5'6" and weigh 230 lbs. I have issues with Seven Dwarfs, I fit, but the seats are small.
I fit very well in FOP, my favorite new ride!
RnR overhead restraints are tight, but I am ok with that as it's a rollercoaster.

So many rides are accommodating and very comfortable for people of size.

I was over 305 pounds (6'4") last month and this morning weighed in at 282. As soon as I heard that FoP had size restrictions, it was my motivation to lose weight. No exercise, just a specific diet. The main issue tends to be calf size and I read on another forum a gentleman who's calves were 18.5 inches around the biggest part was able to ride. I looked at mine last night and they came at around 14" so I'm hopefully okay. Not sure if any changes have been made to the vehicles themselves or if CMs are just getting better at finding what works.

Personally, I don't think the seats can be too super restrictive or else there would be floods of people posting on message boards and YouTube about it.

I'd like to get my chest smaller to be able to ride some coasters again. I was able to ride RnRC 3-4 years ago but don't remember my size back then but remember the chest restraint was really uncomfortable for me.

Congrats on your weight loss :)

I'm 6'2" and fluctuate between 300-325 and have never not been able to ride anything. Some are not the most comfy, like SDMT, but I do fit. That said I am trying to lose a few pounds for my trip in November to make sure that FOP is doable, but after seeing other posts here and in other threads I am sure I will be fine.

I am big girl ... the only ride I have been worried about was FoP. I think it depends on where you carry your wgt. Mine is all in my belly so I'll admit, that is was a tight fit for me on FoP, but I "sucked er in"! HAHA ... The leg restraints were not an issue. And like anyone over 5' 5" ... I swear has leg room issues on the roller coasters. haha!

6'0", Size 26.

• FoP -- Tight, but I fit. I could see it being a problem though for someone who is very tall or has very large calves or thighs as these would make it difficult to get your legs under the ledge and all the way in place so the leg restraints can close. The back restraint might also be an issue for larger folks those who carry a lot of their weight around their midsection.
  • 7DMT -- Tight, especially after going from 24 to 26 over the Holidays, but I can still fit. 24 is tight and 26 is super tight.
  • Everest -- No problems whatsoever.

Curious question to those who have to deal with being overweight, are you ever shamed/ridiculed for being over weight. I had a flight last week that was full. I was sitting on the isle and someone else was sitting next to the window. I very overweight passenger (my guess over 300lbs and about 5'5") tried to fit in between us. I only weigh 160 lb and 5'11. The other guy was about the same size. She could not fit in there with the armrests down and she was pushing us both against out seats. Since the flight was full and she could not fit, they made her leave which made her mad. She pleaded with me if she could take my seat (flight attendant gave the gentleman and myself the option to let her take our seat) since she was attending some wedding but neither one of us could since I was traveling for work and the other guy just said no.

I felt bad for her. Is the policy to purchase 2 seats if you suspect that you cannot fit?

Curious question to those who have to deal with being overweight, are you ever shamed/ridiculed for being over weight. I had a flight last week that was full. I was sitting on the isle and someone else was sitting next to the window. I very overweight passenger (my guess over 300lbs and about 5'5") tried to fit in between us. I only weigh 160 lb and 5'11. The other guy was about the same size. She could not fit in there with the armrests down and she was pushing us both against out seats. Since the flight was full and she could not fit, they made her leave which made her mad. She pleaded with me if she could take my seat (flight attendant gave the gentleman and myself the option to let her take our seat) since she was attending some wedding but neither one of us could since I was traveling for work and the other guy just said no.

I felt bad for her. Is the policy to purchase 2 seats if you suspect that you cannot fit?

Depends on the airline. My understanding is Southwest is the the best from what I've read, though I have never tried them. If you need an extra seat and there is one available, they supposedly will accommodate you at no extra charge. OTOH, some airlines take the attitude that if you didn't buy two seats tough luck. There are other options also. When I flew Delta last year, I was concerned, so I used miles to upgrade to First Class as the seats there are several inches wider. I probably would have fit in Economy, but I didn't want to risk that exact situation. My father who is even larger than I am flew Spirit several years ago. He bought two seats, but due to some kind of issue resulting in the airline switching planes for the flight, he ended up with stationary armrests (couldn't be raised/lowered). They finally let him move to a Big Front Seat (several were empty), but they didn't want to initially. He stated he probably would have been better getting the Big Front Seat in the first place. Its cheaper than two tickets and gave him enough room. A number of airlines have larger seats for an upcharge or in first class. In some cases, they are cheaper than buying two seats, especially when you get 2 free checked bags and priority boarding (Delta First Class) not to mention a much better experience than Cattle Car (I mean Economy) Class.

As for being shamed. Absolutely. Its thankfully not super common, but it does happen.

Depends on the airline. My understanding is Southwest is the the best from what I've read, though I have never tried them. If you need an extra seat and there is one available, they supposedly will accommodate you at no extra charge. OTOH, some airlines take the attitude that if you didn't buy two seats tough luck. There are other options also. When I flew Delta last year, I was concerned, so I used miles to upgrade to First Class as the seats there are several inches wider. I probably would have fit in Economy, but I didn't want to risk that exact situation. My father who is even larger than I am flew Spirit several years ago. He bought two seats, but due to some kind of issue resulting in the airline switching planes for the flight, he ended up with stationary armrests (couldn't be raised/lowered). They finally let him move to a Big Front Seat (several were empty), but they didn't want to initially. He stated he probably would have been better getting the Big Front Seat in the first place. Its cheaper than two tickets and gave him enough room. A number of airlines have larger seats for an upcharge or in first class. In some cases, they are cheaper than buying two seats, especially when you get 2 free checked bags and priority boarding (Delta First Class) not to mention a much better experience than Cattle Car (I mean Economy) Class.

As for being shamed. Absolutely. Its thankfully not super common, but it does happen.
When booking a flight, is there anywhere in the booking that asks if you are overweight/large?

I can speak to fat shaming. In September, I weighed 300+ pounds. Today, I weigh 235. I had gastric bypass surgery in October.

It’s staggering how much differently people treat me already, and I still have another 50-60 pounds to lose. But it’s like I’m a human now. Previously, I encountered my fair share of fat shaming — everything from evil glares and muttering on airplanes to nasty notes left on my car. People can be cruel.

Would a larger than average affect some guests from riding any of the rides

When I was 6'0" 325lbs and went to the parks a couple times back a few years ago, I never had any issues with any of the rides. There were a couple that I was snug in - SDMT was probably the tightest, but it was really a non-issue. I did worry a few times when I would ride something with my son who was around 9 or 10 at the time and it was a ride where we would share a lap bar or something... just scared me that it was too loose on him!

I never really had any fat shaming issues like that... and I was pretty self conscious about it.

My step dad is a big guy, he's about 6'6 and probably well over 350. He has a lot of trouble fitting into plane seats, so my mom is usually the one squeezed in the middle seat. He has bought 2 seats a few times, and I think uses the seatbelt extenders. He went to WDW with us about 10 years ago, and i remember it was a pretty tight fit for him to be in the back seat of the car on Test track, because of his height too, not just the weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter