What’s for Dinner Tonight?

Got a 5lb. bag of potatoes for 99 cents this week. I'll make roasted potatoes a time or two but any other ideas?

ETA: They are labelled "eastern potatoes" so I don't think great for baking. I can probably make mashed at least once next week.

Last edited:
Got a 5lb. bag of potatoes for 99 cents this week. I'll make roasted potatoes a time or two but any other ideas?

ETA: They are labelled "eastern potatoes" so I don't think great for baking. I can probably make mashed at least once next week.

do you have a nice cool/dry spot you can store them? they will last for months.

roasted with some olive oil and seasoning.

Minute steaks and roasted potatoes and veggies
I LOVE minute steaks - especially "chicken fried" and with cream gravy. :lovestruc We had a lot of them back-in-the-day when farm living meant raising our own meat and having it custom butchered. I don't see them very often in the regular grocery stores - where do you get yours?

:( Ah, alas...we got involved in a project and supper didn't get made tonight. DH had a sandwich and I'm eating swiss cheese and grapes right now. I almost never eat this late but I had to weight the risk of reflux tormenting me all night against needing to eat something with a course of antibiotics I'm on. Fingers crossed...

Sure do and that's the plan. Not that I plan to but I figured even if I threw out half I would still be ahead of the game.

got it-i went to buy some in december and there was a sale on 10 pound bags that made them cheaper than a 5 pound or individual per pound prices. i still have perfectly fine potatos waiting to be used.

I'd actually make a rice bowl, but with roasted potatoes spiced to the flavor of your bowl instead of rice.

For example, I love seasoning potatoes with Mexican or Taco spices and then making fajita bowls with carmelized onions, peppers, zucchini, steak or shrimp, and the toppings. All that veg limits how much of the expensive protein you need, but you still feel decadent.

Curried chicken salad (aka Coronation Salad) on a bed of greens.
I’m being bad so a mini can of Coke to drink. Hopefully this will erase my jonesing for Cherry Coke.

homemade? if so i would love the recipe

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...e_code=1.Yk0.geyn.i9hb-SrLm69D&smid=share-url

You can use rotisserie chicken just as well as poached. If you opt for poached chicken, add a star anise to the liquid if you have one.
I add finely chopped celery and sometimes medium chopped peeled apple. I substitute roasted cashews for almonds and have used dark raisins in a pinch.

Curry paste blends easier than powder but either can be used. View readers’ comments to overcome grittiness of powder.

Just a heads up: I’ve never used homemade mayo in this dish. Neither did Grandmother. No yogurt? Use sour cream.

Last edited:
I LOVE minute steaks - especially "chicken fried" and with cream gravy. :lovestruc We had a lot of them back-in-the-day when farm living meant raising our own meat and having it custom butchered. I don't see them very often in the regular grocery stores - where do you get yours?
Small local grocery store here called Food Fare.
Also got them at Coop sometimes.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...e_code=1.Yk0.geyn.i9hb-SrLm69D&smid=share-url

You can use rotisserie chicken just as well as poached. If you opt for poached chicken, add a star anise to the liquid if you have one.
I add finely chopped celery and sometimes medium chopped peeled apple. I substitute roasted cashews for almonds and have used dark raisins in a pinch.

Curry paste blends easier than powder but either can be used. View readers’ comments to overcome grittiness of powder.

Just a heads up: I’ve never used homemade mayo in this dish. Neither did Grandmother. No yogurt? Use sour cream.
thank you!

Had the sour-cream and onion chicken tonight with mashed potatoes and roasted zucchini. 3.5 stars. :goodvibes One thing I must say about the recipes they provide, I'm finding that if I follow the instructions precisely, the proteins all cook up flawlessly - better than I'd do on my own, probably, even as an experienced cook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter