What are your all-time top favorite Disney resorts?

I have a love-hate relationship with the Poly. The theme, rooms, lobby smell, shops, pool are my favorite. But everytime I get there I question why I booked it again. Monorail is 50/50, can never find parking and the common areas are always very crowded, mostly with guests waiting for their dining reservations, but also day guests of the MK wanting a quick pool break mid day.

I recently stayed at the Yacht Club and loved it so much except...it was almost too quiet for me! I had a serious case of FOMO not staying at a MK area resort.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Poly. The theme, rooms, lobby smell, shops, pool are my favorite. But everytime I get there I question why I booked it again. Monorail is 50/50, can never find parking and the common areas are always very crowded, mostly with guests waiting for their dining reservations, but also day guests of the MK wanting a quick pool break mid day.

I recently stayed at the Yacht Club and loved it so much except...it was almost too quiet for me! I had a serious case of FOMO not staying at a MK area resort.
Tough choice! I'm partial to quiet but there's something to be said about a resort looking lively. Maybe book Poly at a less busy time of year? Split stay?

WL - number one - always have to visit when we go even if just to watch the Electrical Water Pageant
OKW - mainly because we were upgraded from a studio to one bedroom as our AC wasnt working and no other studios available
ASM - for nostagic reasons - our first (visited twice more also)

WL/CCV
VGF
BC
AKL

I'm not sure that I can put them in a particular order. WL and AKL just feel so comfortable and relaxing - love the theming. BC is great for EPCOT access and pools. VGF is a classic and reminds me of the Hotel del Coronado - a San Diego favorite of mine. I guess I like them for different reasons, which is the fun part of staying there and exploring.

I absolutely LOVE Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Californian over at Disneyland. All 3 have amazing theming and with Grand Californian, you really can't beat the location in terms of access to California Adventure - even walking distance to Disneyland is amazing. I am staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time in May so I am SUPER excited, I have only visited and I was super impressed with how beautiful the lobby over at Jambo House is. Wilderness Lodge has the most gorgeous lobby on property in my opinion, Geyser Point is my favorite lounge at WDW and the Copper Creek cabins are spectacular, I'll never be able to afford them again but I'm so grateful I got to stay in them once with my family.

Polynesian used to be my favorite but ever since they changed the lobby it's just not the same for me - the lobby doesn't have that amazing smell it used to have and I miss it SO bad.
Totally agree, the theming at all threee of these resorts is very special. I've only had an opportunity to stay at the Grand Californian one time, it's a fantastic resort. From an architectural perspective, these three share some common design elements.

Love Geyser Point, it is a great view of the lake and has excellent food and beverage options.

CCV cabins changed my perspective on DVC and are extremely special!

All this talk on other threads about resorts that people never want to come back to got me wanting to hear, on a more positive note, what the top favorite resorts are. I thought about asking for top 3, but only you should choose how many favorites you have 😉

I appreciate something about every resort I visit and I've been to nearly all of them now. But my top favorites, in no particular order, are:
  • Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower - I just love the history of the CR building, the architecture, the restaurants, the wow factor from the monorail going through it, the great fireworks views, and that proximity to the one and only MK 😍
  • The Disneyland Hotel - it's the OG! Again with the history... and the musical headboards are so lovely!
  • Riviera Resort - after staying to try it out, the spacious and well-appointed rooms and dining really won us over! Also, DH loves the Skyliner. This has become our go-to for EPCOT/DHS area stays.
Honorable mentions: Coronado Springs - I already liked the themeing, but Gran Destino Tower really wowed us! Also, Yach Club for the nautical lobby and walk-ability, POP Century for the fun theme and unbeatable value, and Hilton Head for the kayaking and other activities 👍

This was hard! I honestly like all of them for different reasons and I appreciate the imagineers' work all around, but these are the ones that work best for our travel patterns and purposes. So what are your favorites?
I’ve only ever stayed at Caribbean beach. Since it’s all I know I loved it lol. My dream is to stay at the Poly but we are going with the grandparents next so looking to book a 2 bedroom villa so that won’t work. Hopefully one day soon!

I’ve only ever stayed at Caribbean beach. Since it’s all I know I loved it lol. My dream is to stay at the Poly but we are going with the grandparents next so looking to book a 2 bedroom villa so that won’t work. Hopefully one day soon!
CBR is lovely! Was that pre or post skyliner? It's a game changer!

Yeah, no 2BRs at Poly, boo! But they're coming! If you still want to be on the monorail, take a good look at the BLT 2BRs--they have 3 full bathrooms! 😍

Good point about the Polynesian. I would always make sure we had a drink in front of the fountain regardless of where we stayed. We would always go, but after they removed the fountain, NOT.

Yacht Club is my favorite.

Honorable mention to AKL.

Poly was a favorite, but too crowded now. I imagine it will be worse once the new Poly DVC opens.

CBR is lovely! Was that pre or post skyliner? It's a game changer!

Yeah, no 2BRs at Poly, boo! But they're coming! If you still want to be on the monorail, take a good look at the BLT 2BRs--they have 3 full bathrooms! 😍
As Duckbug said check out BLT. I have three daughters and a wife. Four females and one male. Go with the extra bathroom. Trust me!

Contemporary because it was the first one I stayed in so it has a lot of nostalgia (I was 6-7 years old). We stayed on the 10th floor overlooking Bay Lake and the room was right by Chef Mickeys. I thought it was the biggest building I've ever been in and was blown away by the monorail. I also have vivid memories of the arcade on the first floor. I thought it was the coolest hotel ever, and so it has always been the best for me.

Contemporary because it was the first one I stayed in so it has a lot of nostalgia (I was 6-7 years old). We stayed on the 10th floor overlooking Bay Lake and the room was right by Chef Mickeys. I thought it was the biggest building I've ever been in and was blown away by the monorail. I also have vivid memories of the arcade on the first floor. I thought it was the coolest hotel ever, and so it has always been the best for me.
Love this reply! Also the first hotel at WDW for me. The monorail and the vast open space of the area above Chef Mickey‘s are one of a kind!

YC/BC will always be "home". We tend to at least end our trips there or we find we feel like we missed something.
Poly lived up to our expectations and hope to stay there again soon.
CC redeemed WL for us. Before that, can honestly say we would not stay there again.
SSR will be a return to when we go with our whole family-liked the quieter feel and the space in a 2BR villa.
AKL is our place to spend a night or two to wind down from the overstimulation of the parks. Love it there!
CSR is the only moderate that appeals to us and hasn't disappointed us.
Only stayed value one night at ASMovies. It was fine, but probably won't stay there unless we take grandkids someday

Aulani
Grand Californian
Wilderness Lodge + Fort Wilderness Campground (Cabins)
Contemporary
Poly
Animal Kingdom (Jambo)
Port Orleans Riverside

I guess it's hard to pick lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter