What are your thoughts on Tyler on the Disneyland podcasts?

I love Tyler and Katrina! I love their vlogs and think they do an amazing job! I really miss MaryJo and have been glad to see her on the Best and Worst. I miss Tony, well except the sports references since that personally isn’t my thing. I also miss Michael, but I’m glad that we still have him on Connecting with Walt.

I felt like there was a weird dynamic between Tom and Nancy. She talked a lot. And I felt like Tom tried to talk over her. In my opinion, it felt kind of passive aggressive. I don’t miss that. I also like the video format as we usually watch Dis Unplugged content while we eat dinner.

The only change I think is needed is the actual surroundings on the Best and Worst. They all look awkward sitting on the couch together like that....

The only change I think is needed is the actual surroundings on the Best and Worst. They all look awkward sitting on the couch together like that....
Oh my gosh this! I can't seem to get through the Disneyland Best and Worst because the couch thing irritates me so much. Also I stream the show on my tv, and the volume for the Best and Worst does not work very well. It seems to be made for laptop or tablet viewing.

Oh my gosh this! I can't seem to get through the Disneyland Best and Worst because the couch thing irritates me so much. Also I stream the show on my tv, and the volume for the Best and Worst does not work very well. It seems to be made for laptop or tablet viewing.

I'll third this. It looks like we are watching a security camera.

Put the camera at EYE LEVEL. That is all.

THIS. I MUCH prefer Tyler to Tom. Like someone else said, it’s difficult to offer any criticism because we are basically enjoying their FREE content and have no right to gripe. But in the few years I’ve been watching the DIS, the moment I see Tom doing The Daily Fix, I immediately turn off the video. I am quite sure he is a delightful personality in person, but he has no business heading up a podcast. Someone mentioned that his awkward pauses are due to Skype issues, but it’s pretty clear from the latest videos where he’s in the room with the other talent that it’s not a Skype issue. He is not the person to lead a discussion on a group podcast. At all. His opinions are certainly valid but in my opinion Tyler runs circles around him as a host. And while we haven’t heard why, I’m suspecting that is part of the unexpected delay in the Disneyland show, which had far inferior ratings and stats than the Orlando podcast, despite rabid fans. Also, please realize this is just my opinion. They are all wonderful people, but some folks are natural speakers and leaders and some aren’t - and that’s perfectly okay!
Where did you find the information about ratings and stats? From iTunes?

iTunes stats, published YouTube views, comments and likes, and Social Blade. The Disneyland shows recently have a fraction of the views and engagement of the Orlando shows. Some discrepancy should be expected, but not as severe as it is. There’s a genuine issue with talent and production quality for those shows. And in the current world of YouTube, frequent under-performing videos negatively affect the performance of all the other videos on the same channel. It’s definitely an issue for whatever management is paying attention, which is why I speculated that this is one reason we haven’t seen new Disneyland shows until the problem is hammered out.
The Disneyland podcast was posted on YouTube? I had no idea. Forgive my ignorance, but why would they post audio-only content on YouTube? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

iTunes stats, published YouTube views, comments and likes, and Social Blade. The Disneyland shows recently have a fraction of the views and engagement of the Orlando shows. Some discrepancy should be expected, but not as severe as it is. There’s a genuine issue with talent and production quality for those shows. And in the current world of YouTube, frequent under-performing videos negatively affect the performance of all the other videos on the same channel. It’s definitely an issue for whatever management is paying attention, which is why I speculated that this is one reason we haven’t seen new Disneyland shows until the problem is hammered out.

I very much agree with this. The production value of the Disneyland show was terrible. More than a few times, I just stopped listening to the show because the sound quality was horrendous or the pace of the show was too slow and it drove me crazy.

The Orlando team noticeably stepped up their game over the past couple years in terms of visual quality and more interesting content. The Disneyland show desperately needs to play catch up to match the rest of what the company puts out or it just reflects poorly on the overall brand.

Tyler's contributions on this front are noticeable, and IMO, appreciated.

I very much agree with this. The production value of the Disneyland show was terrible. More than a few times, I just stopped listening to the show because the sound quality was horrendous or the pace of the show was too slow and it drove me crazy.

The Orlando team noticeably stepped up their game over the past couple years in terms of visual quality and more interesting content. The Disneyland show desperately needs to play catch up to match the rest of what the company puts out or it just reflects poorly on the overall brand.

Tyler's contributions on this front are noticeable, and IMO, appreciated.
To be fair, the Orlando team records in the same room. The DL podcast’s team members were in Fresno, the Sacto area, SoCal and around the country (Tony). When the WDW podcast has phone-in guests (for example, the legal expert or anyone in the parks), the sound quality usually is poor.

I assume the DL podcast’s production quality will improve when the show returns. It’ll be interesting to see if the team (whoever they may be) will record from the same location.

I think that there are differing opinions of the DL show based on the medium that you prefer. I think those of us who regularly listen to the audio podcast through iTunes experience the show differently than those who are basing their opinions on the YouTube content. To me it’s like comparing apples to oranges. I have always enjoyed the DL podcast through the audio podcast medium and haven’t had any issues with sound quality except for the last two that were just loaded into iTunes. I am not a consistent consumer of the YouTube content from the Dis so I don’t express my opinions about the video content. I did catch the episodes of 2 Dudes on a Cruise and loved it so maybe I should watch more.

I have noticed that it’s harder to find podcasts about Disneyland. I have several that I listen to about WDW that seem to have large followings. Maybe there are not as many people who seek out Disneyland content as there are for WDW.

Have you not seen that last two Best & Worst of Disneyland on YouTube where the whole team is in one room? With all due respect to the cast members of that show, it’s almost unwatchable. It’s very apparent that their distance apart is only a small part of the issue.
Well, the topic was production problems.

Anyway, yes, I’ve seen the newest vlogs and find them unwatchable because it comes across as a Merv Griffin show from hell. The vibe was uncomfortable, IMO. I enjoy listening to Tom, Mary Jo and the rest of the old guard. I loved the old podcast. As I said before in this thread, I considered its imperfections charming. Maybe listening live makes it easier to forgive them.

Sorry. I’m speaking of iTunes stats for the audio only content. The newer Disneyland shows are on YouTube and performing very poorly in comparison to the Orlando shows. And they’ve had their Disneyland vlogs on YouTube since 2015. But Connecting With Walt is audio only and is available on YouTube. And that show’s stats are on par with the Orlando content from that time frame, mostly because the talent, delivery and production quality are very good.
Thanks for this information (as well as your subsequent post on a similar topic). I guess I never looked at this from a business perspective, except in terms of the travel agency.

I can agree, definitely. But, the difference here is that The DIS makes money from views on YouTube and makes zero money on podcasts through iTunes. So, as a business owner, would you rather spend countless hours on a 1 hour production that you could make (potentially) thousands of dollars on over the next few years or spend that same time, effort and money doing the same exact show and make $0 via podcasts? That’s the economic reality of The Disneyland version of the show. They get a nice check each month from Google for the Orlando show and they get a big, fat goose egg from iTunes for all those Disneyland audio-only podcasts.

I understand that may be true for the Dis and may be their business model but there are other successful audio podcasts that focus on Disney travel that do not have a YouTube element.

My main point isn’t about what makes money though but rather why there might be differing opinions on the DL podcast itself. It seems to me that the people who were listening to it live or on iTunes enjoyed it more than those who get their Dis content from YouTube. It’s like the difference between radio and TV. A great radio show is not necessarily going to be a great TV show. And vice versa. I was just thinking along the lines that maybe we should respect Tom and his team for what they were great at and the new team for their strengths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter