• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What beach would you drive to for a day if you're staying in Orlando?

CheekyRose

Mouseketeer
I know Orlando isn't exactly close to any beach, but if someone wanted a nice beach to sit in the sand and play in the water on a non-park day, where would you go? There is no time or money to check into another hotel nearer a beach. And this will be for early next week, so we understand Nicole may impact some beaches.

I searched and was surprised I couldn't find recommendations, so I apologize for repeating a question that has probably been asked before.

I was looking for exactly the same info. Hoping others will weigh in on close-ish beaches with good public beach access and good restaurants!

I think going to the East Coast is much easier, with more public access. I would look at Cocoa Beach, it would be the closest. There are some other pretty beaches that would take longer but no longer than going to Clearwater Beach. I know folks who live in Orlando and go to Jetty Park just south of Port Canaveral. There is a public park there and you can watch ships go out depending on which day you are there.

Depends on if you want Ocean or Gulf too.

Cocoa Beach 55 minutes from Disney. I know because I snowbird there and constantly beg DH to "let's take a run to Disney" It's the Atlantic Ocean with great waves. Gulf side is wonderful (small waves) and about 1-1/2 hours at least to get to St. Pete's Beach area.

Literally minutes away from Cocoa Beach is Cape Canaveral and VERY COOL to sit on a bench and watch the cruise ships go in and out. You also see them (further away) from Cocoa Beach. You recognize Disney immediately.

I'll second Jetty Park for easy beach to get to. Jetty Park has some limited concessions, bath rooms and life guards. There is a fee for parking which must be purchased IN ADVANCE ... fee is per vehicle and $15/day <most of the time you can buy this via your phone en route ...... e-ticket on the phone is what they expect>

If you are planning to visit Jetty Park, please know...​

• Jetty Park is open from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM daily
• Parking is available at Jetty Park with a pre-purchased pass or annual pass. No credit card or cash transactions can take place at the entrance gate.
CLICK HERE to purchase parking passes.
• If Parking capacity at Jetty Park is at 100% and you have already purchased a day pass for a specific date you will be guaranteed entry into the park. It does not guarantee re-entry if the park is at capacity. If you are an annual pass holder, your entry is not guaranteed if park is at capacity. Staff monitors the number of cars in the park and will re-open when the park drops below capacity.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Beach-Pier

note that MOST parking near the beach thruout the area will be 'pay' ... often meters ....

Jetty Park is actually part of Port Canaveral ..... not far away you'll find a handful of rests' waterside in the port including Rusty's, Gator's, Fish Lips and Grills. Ask locals which they prefer and you'll find an even split as the places are more alike then different. I'm partial to Grills myself as they do more grilled vs fried stuff .... and sometimes have lionfish

froiled-lionfish-grills.jpg

1668001579440.png

1668001621678.png

https://www.grillsseafood.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Grills-Port-and-Riverside-Menu-Jan-2022.pdf

1668001999124.png

Clearwater and Gulf beaches are very nice as well - lived there for a time. But whereas the drive to jetty Park is not only shorter but virtually impossible to get lost as the beachline takes you the port entrance .... the last 10 to 15 miles of the longer drive to Clearwater is thru town and a higher probability of 'issues' ..... IMO/IME

Last edited:
I know Orlando isn't exactly close to any beach, but if someone wanted a nice beach to sit in the sand and play in the water on a non-park day, where would you go? There is no time or money to check into another hotel nearer a beach. And this will be for early next week, so we understand Nicole may impact some beaches.

I searched and was surprised I couldn't find recommendations, so I apologize for repeating a question that has probably been asked before.

Ponce Inlet, South Daytona area. Or New Smyrna.

It's a longer drive by quite a bit, but we always do Clearwater Beach on the Gulf. It's just a favorite of ours that we keep going back to. It's a big wide beach, calm, nice sand, lots to do, restaurants, a pier.

I believe that Coco has move waves, etc. and it's certainly a lot closer, so I would take that and the recommendations of others into consideration as well as current weather conditions.

The post says though is if you were staying in Orlando what beach would you drive to, and it's a tradition for us -- we always do Clearwater Beach when we do a beach day lol. It's been decades since we've done day trips to any of the other ones from Orlando. It's a busy, happening beach, which not everyone likes, but we like that. The calm waters and soft sand are great if you have little kids.

From a web search:
"Laid-back Clearwater Beach is known for its namesake stretch of soft, white sand, which draws visitors year-round for jet-skiing, parasailing, and stand-up paddleboarding in its calm waters. Cyclists and rollerbladers glide along a winding beachfront promenade lined with casual seafood restaurants and cafes. Come sunset, Pier 60 hosts a nightly festival with street performers and craft vendors. "

Here's a photo:

1668188502106.png

Last edited:
My favorite of the ones I've visited was Daytona Beach, but not sure what it's like now after the hurricane.

I prefer the Atlantic side because it has waves.

Jetty Park is actually part of Port Canaveral ..... not far away you'll find a handful of rests' waterside in the port including Rusty's, Gator's, Fish Lips and Grills. Ask locals which they prefer and you'll find an even split as the places are more alike then different. I'm partial to Grills myself as they do more grilled vs fried stuff
I will take folks to Jetty Park if they want to go to the beach.

I had to smile, on one of our trips we went to Grills and were sitting on the patio you show in your picture when a cruise ship pulled in. Right next to the patio! It was quite interesting to have the big boat inching right towards you.

I’ve been to Cocoa Beach and Daytona Beach and while I enjoyed both, I would give Daytona Beach the edge. I found it less stressful to drive to from WDW because there was a nice uncrowded express lane. Also the view from the boardwalk is gorgeous, and there’s a lot to do in the area (I loved the Cici and Hyatt Brown Museum.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter