What compensation would you expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, I pretty much agree with everyone else here. If you didn't put the do not disturb on and didn't ensure the flip lock was engaged, there's no reason for them to think you were in the room (especially by midmorning). I'm sorry that you feel you're being attacked here, but I think the majority are correct on this issue. I would be happy with the $10 they gave you and just move on from this and take it as a lesson learned to make sure the lock is on.

I know I've started making sure the deadbolt/flip lock are both on no matter what, because we've had someone "steal" our do not disturb sign off the door (more likely than not because they wanted to use it on their door because maybe they didn't have one, who knows). Fortunately, we were in the room and had the lock on when they tried to open it. But we didn't consider that the housekeeping's fault, because someone took our sign and they had no way of knowing. So, now we just always have the lock on and tell housekeeping if we see them that we don't need service that day.

This thread topic cracks me up. We've had much worse happen & never considered asking for compensation. The worst was waking up at Royal Pacific Resort & seeing our door was wide open. It wasn't cracked a little. It was literally wide open. :scared1: I have no idea how long it had been open, but it was locked up, when we went to bed. I woke up & alerted DH. He shut the door, while I checked to make sure DS & DNiece were still in the bed asleep. (None of us were sleep walkers, but you never know for sure.) Nothing had been taken. We woke them up, got ready, went to breakfast, then hit the parks. There was no way we were going to miss park time complaining. :p Our biggest concern was wondering how many people had walked by & gawked at us sleeping. :scared: If something had been missing, we would have complained.

We've also had someone walk into our room late at night, because they had been assigned the room we were already occupying. We just laughed it off, because we had been the ones who walked into an occupied room for the same reason previously. Fortunately, both families were easy going. We all got a good laugh out of it & the last person assigned the room went down to get another room assigned. (Obviously, I don't know, if the people who were assigned the room we already occupied complained, but they didn't appear to be angry, when they left.)

It surprises me that anyone who has done much traveling hasn't had a maid walk in on them at some point. It's happened to us a few times, when we were getting ready to leave for the day & didn't have the DND sign out.

Last edited:
from a hotel if two male housekeepers burst into your room unannounced while you were in bed? The owner of the Best Western in Corbin KY took $10 off our tab last week. I'm telling him that is not nearly enough and he is not responding.
Why are you seeking compensation for a mistake? People make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

without a DND sign up I expect housekeeping to come in anytime after 10 a.m.

We just got back from a 2 week road trip and at 2 hotels it was before 8am housekeeping was knocking! Made sure to hang "Do Not Disturb" sign out every hotel after those! The 1st one really ticked me off too because we didn't arrive until 2:30am and before 8am they were looking to clean the room!

Stereotypes exist for a reason. People didn't just sit around years ago and go "OH HEY, I think I'll make this up about a certain demographic of people and it will be carved in stone and everyone will believe it". No, that's not how stereotypes are formed. I'd suggest some literature on how and why stereotypes are formed before continuing on. Furthermore, if your reading comprehension skills were up to par you'd see that my assessment of the situation was based on my own personal experience. /smile

Stereotypes are formed because of ignorance.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. People didn't just sit around years ago and go "OH HEY, I think I'll make this up about a certain demographic of people and it will be carved in stone and everyone will believe it". No, that's not how stereotypes are formed. I'd suggest some literature on how and why stereotypes are formed before continuing on. Furthermore, if your reading comprehension skills were up to par you'd see that my assessment of the situation was based on my own personal experience. /smile
...perpetuated by ignorance.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stereotype

DH and I watched that movie "Florida Project" last night. The kids flipped the breaker and turned the power off. It was off for less than 5 minutes, then they showed a guest at the front desk demanding compensation for the power going out. LOL.

I s
May want to scratch Sheraton, Loew's, and Disney off your list too. The first 2 had housekeeping at the door at 8:30 am knocking on our checkout day, and just this past Friday housekeeping had the unmitigated gall to knock on my door at 10:30 am on check out day.

I'm guessing that poster should just sleep in the car if they have problems at every hotel they've stayed at.

I'm guessing that poster should just sleep in the car if they have problems at every hotel they've stayed at.

I spend about 25% to 30% of my time traveling for work and it is almost always in a hotel with "foreign management", since I'm rarely in the US. I've really had the problems that the PP describes (the two times I was given an already occupied room were both in the US and years ago). I've occasionally had housekeeping come by at an inconvenient time, but it's never been a big deal Biggest problems recently where a couple of times where I was working at the hotel for the day (recent trip to DC where the offices of the people I was meeting with were closed due to weather, for example), which made it hard for housekeeping. I either just asked for no housekeeping that day or headed to the lounge for a bit to give them freedom. Or the hotel in London which seemed to have a watch on my room (and they actually probably did since the "DND" wasn't a door hanger but rather a button you pressed which lit up a signal by the door but likely also did so in some office. I left for the day and almost immediately came back to the room since I had forgotten something only to burst in on the housekeeper (which rather scared both of us).

A car that was most likely made by "foreigners". :rotfl2:

For the record those are two different posters. Although that was funny. :laughing:

The OP would have problems with the police bursting upon the scene at 2am, loudly banging on their windows as they were uh, not sleeping, and pointing an intrusive, bright flashlight on them. :crazy2: The OP would try to sue the city for police misconduct.

You see responsible for locking door when in room if you don’t want to be disturbed. Did you not secure bolt at night?

Assume $10 was a percentage of rate you paid? What more do you want? This sounds like the exaggerated Disney barge in room security checks people claim.

Yesterday at a Homewood Suites housekeeper came into our room as we were leaving. She knocked softly and opened door as we were gathering our bags. It was after 10am — so I guess I should expect a free night?

I'm the one several posts back that had maintenance enter our room in the middle of the night. That particular room didn't have any kind of deadbolt device.

FWIW I've been in a few situations where housekeeping entered (or tried to enter) 9 am or later, even with a DND sign on the door. We were usually up getting ready at the time. Those occasions were annoying but we didn't think twice nor ask for compensation. We didn't even ask for compensation when the maintenance guy came into our room in the middle of night, but just mentioning to the front desk to keep better records of occupied rooms and they told us yes sorry we've comped your room for one night here's some breakfast vouchers.

If he was ‘sleeping’ but not sleeping it changes things a bit depending on how far along they were.
If only. "Sleeping" describes what you do in bed. But you are not always asleep. I was awake, trying to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter