• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do to save money to WDW?

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, I would love to be inspired or inspire others on TIPS on how to save $$$$ for WDW trips!

I'll start!

(1) I teach Yoga, Fitness, Kindergym and Artful Toddler classes and save my income for trips. Since it's only part-time work and I enjoy it so much it makes saving fun!

(2) I do as many consumer tests for cash as I can. They can take time but I make a minimum of $10.00 per test.

(3) I do a few rewards programs as a surf or chat on the internet. I have not cashed out any yet, but they are slowly building and in a few months I'll make about $100.00 or more.

(4) I used to babysit children and save the cash, but I don't it that anymore.

(5) I have enough "birthday and Christmas gift" type things from family members. This year for my birthday and Christmas I will be asking for practical travel things, toiletries or even Disney Dollars.

(6) We have a "swear jar", there are a couple days a month I tend to fill it pretty full.

(7) I get paid to TALK! I do workshops on subjects that I have become somewhat of an expert on. It paid very well. All my jobs give me freedom to pick me hours and bring me kids!

I would love to hear your ideas!

I am also interested in what type of consumer test you do. I signed up for one of these on the internet, but it only gave me the chance to win money. I did it a few times, but all I got out of it was a lot of spam. I'd be interested in something that actually paid you.

I list WDW as a bill on my budget every month. I "pay " a separate savings account at my credit union with the money.

I also save change and put it into that account.

I had a yard sale last week and made enough money for all my tip envelopes, one character meal, and the Alice Tea Party.

:) :bounce: :)

Back to saving money for Disney world
The major ways I save are:

The months that have 5 paychecks instead of 4 I put the 5th towards the Wilderness Lodge.

Once a month I visit Disney store and charge $100 in Disney dollars to put towards our PS meals. Its easier to pay off $100 per month than $1,000 all at once.

Then every paycheck I put $35 from my spending money towards the trip. I know this will be more difficult after summer begins and I start to take the 6 long summer weekend trips have planned.

Also 9 yr old son and husband have been getting Disney dollars for birthdays, fathers day, easter, valentines day, report cards, tooth fairy, etc.

Sold my Blood, Volunteered as a Human Guinea Pig, Donated most of my Bodily Organs, Shared part of my Brain, Sold my Hair, Became a Surrogate mother Twice, Sold only two of our Children, Tried to Marry Mickey Mouse for his World, and got Hubby a Third Job...Anything Short of selling my Body or Soul...( just having fun ) Truthfully Garage Sales, Save Change, Put away Birthday, Anniv.,Holiday Money ect...Pop Bottles, Lottery Winnings ( you know those $ 2.00 winners ), Make the Check out at the Grocery Store for a few extra Dollars,( DH never knows ) And if we get our extra money from the State that Too. Have A Great One...
Chatty

Actually, if they would let me sell my blood I would! I can't get dh & ds to do it! They could make about $35 a week a piece but neither will go for it. It would be worth the gas to drive them there!

We started saving for our trip to WDW in May 2000. We put a minimum of $25.00 from each paycheck that comes to us(I get paid weekly, DH bi-weekly) and we also have a change jar that we put into savings.We've also put some money we received last xmas. As the saying goes, pay yourself FIRST!!! To date we have saved $2691.75 and we are going February 9-16 2002!!! Our kids (DD8 and DS12) know we've been saving and are as excited as we are!!!They also know that the trip is xmas this year for the whole family!!!

In michigan we have a 10 cent deposit on all soda and beer cans and bottles. When we return them my DD gets that as part of her spending money.

Also the good old Change in a bucket, garage sales, refund checks. They all eventually add up.

My DH is in sales and gets commission, about twice a year he gets REALLY good checks. One usually around Christmas and the other in spring.

That's our saving plan for Disney.
:p

We have the change jar which adds up quick in this family. One other way is buying Disney dollars. Yet another way I find to save money is on those nights that I really don't want to cook dinner and the family agrees to eat out, I drag myself into the kitchen and cook anyway. The $20 I would have spent on takeout is thrown in the money jar. It adds up pretty fast around here since I never want to cook.

Sleepy,

Funny you should mention that one. We just returned from WDW and I asked if the kids would like to go back. They said "Sure." Well, then we had an economics lesson. i told them in stead of ordering pizza what if we took the money and put into a Disney jar What would they rather have Disney or DOminoes? They answer was DISNEY!

WE currently have $11.09.:earsgirl:

We are doing essentially all the same things. We are saving for our trip in Oct. 2002...just started about 2 weeks ago. We get the whole family involved (me,dh, ds,dd,dd). We made a Disney can by covering it with pictures from a WDW brocure. We set a goal and started savings.

We are on a very tight budget so the money has to come from creative places. When I go grocery shopping I look at the receipt to see how much we saved with coupons or with the store discount card. What ever amount that is we put into the can. When we do not do something that we had planned to do...example: I have to pay $4.00 a week for babysitting at my bible study and $4.00 a week to play volleyball but now that summer is here I do not do those things so I take that $8.00 that I would have spent and put it away.

We do the same thing with going out to eat or buying goodies. It adds up quickly.

The one other thing we do is when we buy something and than have to return it or if someone pays us back money for a group gift or something like that, we put that money in the can. We are already used to living without it so we do not miss it.

I also send in rebates. My son collects aluminum. We tell everyone we know that we are looking to save money and we will take any side jobs. My DH just made $150.00 helping a lady move. Not bad for 4 hours work!

It all adds up...now if I could just get time to fly I would be doing good!:D

Lisa

Aren't many people supposed to be getting that unexpected tax refund check, due to the new tax plan, some time during the summer of fall?

If I get one, it's going straight into the Disney Bank!

As this tax refund has been explained to me, it does not add up to extra money for Disney for us because it is an ADVANCE of next years normal refund and well, we always use our refund for the Disney fund anyway.

CONSUMER TESTING

I heard of the consumer testing companies (2) thru friends, otherwise I don't know how one would go about learning of them.

The first one is a food testing company. I make between $10.00 and $30.00 for testing products. It takes about 30 minutes.

I registered with the second comany last week and haven't heard from them, but they pay between $25.00 - $1000.00 depending on the test. The $1000.00 would be for a one year test. My friend made $500.00 for a 6 month trial.

We joined DVC. I can't remember exactly how much but about $110/month. Eventually our membership will be paid in full and then we will only be paying maintenance dues which are currently about $35 per month. I've bought discount meal certificates thru connections123.com and will pay for my annual pass (which entitles me to other discounts) with my Disney Credit Card so I can pay that back over the next year.
Other than that, I don't really save. I just rob Peter to pay Paul for the next month. ;) but then I don't have children unless you count my husband LOL

Cheryl :bounce:

SandraC....can you be more specific about the consumer testing? Can you tell us how we could find out information about doing this? Example: phone number, website address, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter