• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do to save money to WDW?

SandraC, I would also be most interested in learning how you make those extra $ consumer testing, is it specifically for Canadians?
Thanks!

Hi, thanks for writing. Regarding consumer testing, like I wrote in previous posts, I learned about the two I do thru friends, they learned about it thru their friends and so on and so on. Unless you live in Mississauga, the companies I use will not accept your application. I suggest you just ask EVERYONE you know if they have heard to them in your area. Perhaps you can just surf the internet or look in the yellow pages under consumer testing or similar definitions you will get lucky. Good Luck!

Keeping with the theme of the original post, I have another tip on saving cash for WDW trips!

I have a separate back account I call THE DISNEY ACCOUNT! It was getting a crappy interest rate so at the beginning of May I changed the account to a GIC (Canada) and I could $20.00 INTEREST this month! Since I keep adding to this account, in one year I'll earn over $300.00 extra for the trip! YIPPY!

I love all your money saving tips! Keep 'em coming!

This may not work for everyone, but my wife, who is usually a stay at home mom, works at a day camp in the summer as the director. She gets to take the kids for free, and all of her earnings go straight to the vacation fund. $1500 in 6 weeks. enough for most expenses except room and tickets!

Most camps around here are always looking for good, qualified people over the age of 18. Mostly all they can find to hire are high-school aged kids, who don't make the most reliable employees.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I gave up sodas, but I couldn't convince hubby to give up Copenhagen. Too bad on that one. We also recycle our cans. We don't have a deposit, but land $150 every time we drop off 3 barrels of crushed cans. Takes about 3 months to do. A little longer now that I have given up the sodas. Also, we do a lot of the same things you do. Oh, and hubby gets 6 weeks a year paid vacation. We always save 2 weeks to Sell Back at the end of the year.

Oh, I almost forgot. We do consumer testing in Dallas, TX. It's through a company called Dallas Focus. They even called my seven year old in once and paid her $50 to give her opinions on Chuck E Cheese.

The way that we saved some extra money for our trip this year was to round off our checking account to the nearest dollar every time we wrote a check.If we wrote a check in the amount of 35.14 we would actually subtract 36.00 off the the total balance.This is sort of like throwing money in a jar at the end of the day but you don't have direct access to it and if you write a lot of checks this can add up very fast...very fast.We could easily save up an extra 1000-1500 dollars in a year. :pinkbounc

Hi Sandra,

I just realised that since Danny works for the City of Brampton it could be considered govt., couldn't it?
If is, do you think we could qualify for the govt. rates we keep hearing about?

Let me know your thoughts.
P.S. Today is my birthday. Oh it's ok, you don't need to buy me any expensive gift or anything;) I just mentioned it because I got the nicest surprise this morning when I checked my email. I received a Birthday Card from the Swan and Dolphin Resorts. I have never even stayed there. Actually, the only time I was even close to it was while driving to one of the Parks! It made my day:jester:
Talk at you soon.

Linda Bignell

Here's what I'm doing to save:

1) Got a part time job 2-3 nights a week (in addition to my full time job) and all money from it goes towards the trip

2) We keep all our change and put it in a large plastic container at the end of the day. We easily put $1-$2 in it each day and it adds up fast!

3) I've been selling some stuff on eBay. I have a few leftover things from my wedding, some old collectible toys, and other misc. stuff that we don't need anymore. I've already made about $300 and I still have plenty of stuff left to sell!!

3) I signed up for My Points early last year and plan on redeeming my points before we go to Disney for a gift certificate to Target, so that I can buy some things I will need for my trip (sunscreen, antibacterial wipes, etc.)

4) I signed up for several different survey websites that pay for your opinions and whatnot. I've made about $20 or so doing that - not a lot but more than I had to begin with!

5) I comb the internet daily for freebies that I may be able to use on my trip. I've found tons of free samples for shampoo/conditioner, lotions, sunscreens, a free disposable camera, etc. If its free, I'll take it ;-)

6) I signed up to be a "Mystery Shopper". I get paid $10 for every assignment I do. My first assignment is tonight!

7) If my budget allows, I take anywhere between $25-$100 out of each of my hubby's and mine paychecks and put it toward the trip.

Wow - after rereading this, I didn't realize I was doing so much LOL

The only money saving thing I do is Rewards programs, but they are awesome!! I get Gas Cards for when we drive, rainforest cafe gc's, fast food gc's, Walmart, Target...Takes about a year to get a good amount, but it is so great when we stop for a quick bite to eat on the way down and don't have to pay for it!! :)

We claim no dependents to get a larger tax refund & get a CD that comes due just before we leave. I also have a Christmas/Vacation club at the bank that draws money out of my checking acct. each & every week. We make our reservations 1 year or so in advance & I mail in every extra dollar we have until resort is paid then start purchasing passes, usually 1 every 2-3 weeks. Next comes transportation payments. When that's done just cash in CD & club check & we're off to the airport!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter