What does allergy-friendly mean in WDW? - post trip report

Pre-Covid ABC Commissary had the Chef from Sci-Fi next door to prepare our quick service meal. It was wonderful. We had multiple restrictions.
Last year, while staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, the chef from Boma made my food because nothing on the regular menu at the Mara was safe for me.
My recommendation is to always order in person and make sure the person who is preparing your food understands your needs. Look for locations next to a sit down restaurant as they sometimes share a kitchen. In my experience, they try very hard to accommodate but not every location has the facilities for it. Note: There are a few CM that are not well informed so be very clear and explicit. If they seem unsure, go somewhere else.

I'm staying at AS Music suite which I think has a decent size fridge/freezer. I hadn't considered bringing food into the parks for him. (He's 20, disgnosed at 17. We don't have a lot of experience managing outside of the house. He had 2 bad experiences and that has left him mostly unwillingly to bother trying again) We usually stay at the park from opening until close, so that would be 2 meals to carry around. Hmmm....if the rest of the family was getting counter service, would they let him eat his own food with us? Would we have to find a bench outside somewhere to eat?
My sister has celiac's disease and she has been able to eat any of the foods that are labeled as gluten-free at a Disney restaurant, including quick service. Disney takes food allergies very seriously and they are careful to give her gluten-free food. You should be fine ordering in the Disney parks and your Disney resort. :)

The resort rooms only have beverage coolers. These coolers keep food cold but don't have a freezer compartment. I would not bother with bringing gluten free entrees from home. :)

My DD22 has several food allergies including peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, bananas, melons and unprocessed soy. We have had very good experiences at both CS and TS restaurants. The exceptions would be the non-Disney owned and operated eateries and the very small CS/kiosk type places. Most restaurants around WS, DS, and those at CSR are owned and operated by other companies. We tend to avoid most of these with a few exceptions. Although WDW does not expressly state this in the app (although I wish they would), you can usually see this by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the online menu. If there is no allergy friendly menu listed, it's usually not Disney owned/operated.

I also had to eat gf for several years and found lots to eat around the parks and resorts both CS and TS. A big shout out to GF as they have in-house chefs that prepare really good gf bread. Also love options at POFQ. Shrimp and grits are gf and they offer gf beignets! Also love Erin McKenna's bakery in DS. Frontera Cucina in DS is also really great with allergies.

If you want to go the route of bringing your own food to the park, you can bring a cooler to the room and another to the park. I don't trust the "beverage coolers" and they aren't cold enough for my drink preferences, so I use a soft cooler in the shower, and refresh with ice. That will handle anything that isn't frozen.

You can bring an umbrella stroller and park it with a bag or soft cooler or whatever, even if nobody needs a stroller at all in your adult party. I've done this for just drinks. You have to put ice in plastic bags, Disney doesn't allow loose ice in coolers. I find handling an empty soft cooler and a $20 umbrella stroller at the end of the day isn't a big deal. You can even get a $20 umbrella stroller delivered with your Walmart+ order.

I find TS at WDW overpriced and not that great. But it's also a PAIN with the timing and takes forever. I would be very frustrated if I had to plan my meals all around TS.

My son has Celiac, is very sensitive to cross contamination, and we've been to WDW many times without any issues. If we eat at a QS restaurant we always ask to speak to a chef/manager when ordering to make sure and explain that he could become ill due to cross-contamination. They take it very seriously and deal with it all the time. I wouldn't rule out places just because they are QS.

We are heading down again on Wednesday for a week and plan to eat at Columbia Harbour House at MK, Connections Eatery in EPCOT, Restaurantosaurus at AK, and ABC Commissary at HS.

There aren't many restaurants outside of WDW that we trust to be safe from cross-contamination, but everywhere within WDW has been fantastic for us.

Interestingly we did have one issue at the Plaza restaurant in MK (table service) years ago where they brought out my son's sandwich in a regular bun. Fortunately we caught it in time, but you do always have to be vigilant.

I'm vegan--not comparable to celiac, but I won't eat just anything and I'm familiar with the scene at WDW's restaurants.

My experience, unlike the above poster's, is that at QS restaurants, the fryers are all shared and they will tell you so. Are there QS places where the fryers aren't shared? I do not know. The only thing I can think of that's made separately at QS locations is the Mickey waffles. The allergy waffles are gluten-free and vegan and are prepared on a separate griddle.

At TS restaurants, there's a big difference. A chef will come out to your table and discuss your needs with you and make sure that there's no cross-contamination.

Check out this site, which has a lot of gluten-free advice for WDW.
I agree TS is the way to go, why chance a bad trip.

My son has Celiac, is very sensitive to cross contamination, and we've been to WDW many times without any issues. If we eat at a QS restaurant we always ask to speak to a chef/manager when ordering to make sure and explain that he could become ill due to cross-contamination. They take it very seriously and deal with it all the time. I wouldn't rule out places just because they are QS.

We are heading down again on Wednesday for a week and plan to eat at Columbia Harbour House at MK, Connections Eatery in EPCOT, Restaurantosaurus at AK, and ABC Commissary at HS.

There aren't many restaurants outside of WDW that we trust to be safe from cross-contamination, but everywhere within WDW has been fantastic for us.

Interestingly we did have one issue at the Plaza restaurant in MK (table service) years ago where they brought out my son's sandwich in a regular bun. Fortunately we caught it in time, but you do always have to be vigilant.

If you have time after after your trip, I'd love to hear how this worked out for you.

If you want to go the route of bringing your own food to the park, you can bring a cooler to the room and another to the park. I don't trust the "beverage coolers" and they aren't cold enough for my drink preferences, so I use a soft cooler in the shower, and refresh with ice. That will handle anything that isn't frozen.

You can bring an umbrella stroller and park it with a bag or soft cooler or whatever, even if nobody needs a stroller at all in your adult party. I've done this for just drinks. You have to put ice in plastic bags, Disney doesn't allow loose ice in coolers. I find handling an empty soft cooler and a $20 umbrella stroller at the end of the day isn't a big deal. You can even get a $20 umbrella stroller delivered with your Walmart+ order.

I find TS at WDW overpriced and not that great. But it's also a PAIN with the timing and takes forever. I would be very frustrated if I had to plan my meals all around TS.

This is a great idea.

just remember that food you bring in can not be reheated where you plan to eat. by government rules premade food can not be reheated. fear of cross contamination is the reason

Basically others have answered, but I would also agree that with Celiac I would not rely on QS. We have a peanut allergy in the family and QS is fine for us when we read the binder of ingredients. Having a friend with Celiac I would be concerned about risk of contamination.

I would encourage you to make a TS reservation a few times. They don't have to be fancy places but you will get more customized menus. QS ends up being pretty expensive anyway.

Good luck!

As others have said it’s hard to accommodate allergies with QS. TS is a better bet. Bringing your own food is safest. I have dealt with egg, dairy, and nut allergies with one of my children at WDW for years. Given the issue of cross-contamination with gluten allergies you really may want to pack meals for your child to be on the safe side, and spend that money you save by not eating out on a room with a kitchen.
Someone in my family has the same list of allergies! I'd love to know which WDW table service restaurants you have enjoyed.

If we eat at a QS restaurant we always ask to speak to a chef/manager when ordering to make sure and explain that he could become ill due to cross-contamination. They take it very seriously and deal with it all the time. I wouldn't rule out places just because they are QS.
@Ermise What QS places were good for you? I know I have spoken to someone at Cosmic Ray's, but the standalone kiosks (my words) didn't seem to have anyone because they are already prepared. Those are the places I just rely on the binder and my judgment. Sometimes all you need is a snack and cold drink so it would be great to know if there are better stands than others. Probably no way to do that.

We're locals, and DH was diagnosed with celiac disease about 12 years ago. We generally eat on Disney property 2-3 times per month, perhaps a quarter of those meals at TS and the rest at QS. We sometimes leave the parks to eat at a QS at a nearby hotel (we like Gasparilla at GF and Primo Piatta at Riviera) but also frequently eat QS in the parks. He is usually OK with mobile ordering allergy-friendly items, and a supervisor brings them out on a separate tray, not with the rest of our meals. Occasionally he asks to speak with a QS chef to ask if an item not on the mobile order GF menu can still be made GF (we've had great luck getting house chips made fresh for us in the GF fryer at Contempo Cafe). Of all the dozens of meals we've had at Disney, the ONLY time he had a reaction was when we bought some supposedly GF items at Food and Wine kiosks at Epcot.

We're locals, and DH was diagnosed with celiac disease about 12 years ago. We generally eat on Disney property 2-3 times per month, perhaps a quarter of those meals at TS and the rest at QS. We sometimes leave the parks to eat at a QS at a nearby hotel (we like Gasparilla at GF and Primo Piatta at Riviera) but also frequently eat QS in the parks. He is usually OK with mobile ordering allergy-friendly items, and a supervisor brings them out on a separate tray, not with the rest of our meals. Occasionally he asks to speak with a QS chef to ask if an item not on the mobile order GF menu can still be made GF (we've had great luck getting house chips made fresh for us in the GF fryer at Contempo Cafe). Of all the dozens of meals we've had at Disney, the ONLY time he had a reaction was when we bought some supposedly GF items at Food and Wine kiosks at Epcot.
I'm glad to hear this. Do you have any specific CS to recommend? He was looking at Regal Eagle at Epcot and Pinocchio Village haus pizza at Magic Kingdom.

I'm sorry to hear about the food & wine problem, but I'm not surprised. Cross contamination in those little kiosks seems hard to contain.

Again, I am grateful for all of the responses.

@Ermise What QS places were good for you? I know I have spoken to someone at Cosmic Ray's, but the standalone kiosks (my words) didn't seem to have anyone because they are already prepared. Those are the places I just rely on the binder and my judgment. Sometimes all you need is a snack and cold drink so it would be great to know if there are better stands than others. Probably no way to do that.
The only kiosks that we frequent are the popcorn carts, ice-cream carts (Mickey Bars or frozen lemonade) and Aloha Isle for the Pineapple Dole whips.

We just got back from a week there and again had no issues with QS restaurants. We tried the Connections Eatery for the first time in EPCOT and were told they have a dedicated prep space and frier for gluten allergies. My son had the French Bistro burger with french fries and thought it was pretty good.

We also ate at Columbia Harbour House and my son had the gluten free chicken tenders there. He has to get that each trip.

At AK we ate at Restaurantosaurus and he had the burger there. He actually preferred it to the burger at Connections.

Every other meal was at a table service restaurant. We've been going regularly for almost 12 years and we've noticed the last couple of trips there has been a real push to have people just order from the allergy menus without speaking to the chef each time. We really had to insist on it this time whereas before it was offered up without asking.

My daughter and I have celiac and ate exclusively at QS without any issues. Regal Eagle has a great gluten free menu and Cookes of Dublin in DS has gluten free fish and chips. Also POFQ has gluten free beignets.

Post Trip report:

We had no problems.

Sit Down Meals
Liberty Tree -- salad was gluten free, so the entire table shared it. My son was served a portion of gluten free bread and his meal was separate from the shared meal. The gravy was gluten free and the server checked with us to make sure we were comfortable sharing it. Dessert was choice of brownies or sorbet.

TREX -- the manager came to the table and asked him what he would like from the menu and discussed how they would make the meal gluten free -- he ordered the rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies

We were happy with both of these places.

Hollywood & Vine -- This was a major disappointment and I really wish we had just left. It's a buffet. I expected him to be served food from the kitchen. No. They handed him a menu that indicated which foods at the buffet were gluten free and the menu said he was on his own as far as cross contamination was concerned. He ate the carved turkey and mashed potatoes from a tray that had only been touched at the front. It's ridiculous that they expected him to stalk the buffet for new trays being brought out and then race to get to it before anyone else. This would have been they only way he could be sure no one had used the wrong spoon or otherwise contaminated it. He didn't want me to cause a fuss, which I do understand, but this is not providing safe food to those with allergies. If they couldn't accommodate him, they should have said so when I made the reservation. I think I will send an email about this.

Counter Service
No issues anywhere with counter service. He ate at Cosmic Rays, All Star Music, Backlot, Pizza Rizzo, Flame Tree twice. He loved Regal Eagle and ate there 3 times getting different things each time.
He got slushies from everywhere it seemed. He did have a hard time finding snacks that weren't popcorn or ice cream, but he didn't research before hand. It was hard to figure it out in the moment.

Post Trip report:

We had no problems.

Sit Down Meals
Liberty Tree -- salad was gluten free, so the entire table shared it. My son was served a portion of gluten free bread and his meal was separate from the shared meal. The gravy was gluten free and the server checked with us to make sure we were comfortable sharing it. Dessert was choice of brownies or sorbet.

TREX -- the manager came to the table and asked him what he would like from the menu and discussed how they would make the meal gluten free -- he ordered the rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies

We were happy with both of these places.

Hollywood & Vine -- This was a major disappointment and I really wish we had just left. It's a buffet. I expected him to be served food from the kitchen. No. They handed him a menu that indicated which foods at the buffet were gluten free and the menu said he was on his own as far as cross contamination was concerned. He ate the carved turkey and mashed potatoes from a tray that had only been touched at the front. It's ridiculous that they expected him to stalk the buffet for new trays being brought out and then race to get to it before anyone else. This would have been they only way he could be sure no one had used the wrong spoon or otherwise contaminated it. He didn't want me to cause a fuss, which I do understand, but this is not providing safe food to those with allergies. If they couldn't accommodate him, they should have said so when I made the reservation. I think I will send an email about this.

Counter Service
No issues anywhere with counter service. He ate at Cosmic Rays, All Star Music, Backlot, Pizza Rizzo, Flame Tree twice. He loved Regal Eagle and ate there 3 times getting different things each time.
He got slushies from everywhere it seemed. He did have a hard time finding snacks that weren't popcorn or ice cream, but he didn't research before hand. It was hard to figure it out in the moment
I'm not Celiac but medically gluten free. My experience at Boma was similiar to the Hollywood & Vine. They came out & talked to me as well as gave me a menu listing. It was still hard for me to navigate and then the cross contamination was a real thing. I'm choosing to stay away from the buffets moving forward. It would be so nice if they did bring the food out from the kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter