What I Over Heard About Next DVC

It would depend on the demand for that resort for the whole year. Somewhere like south FL on the beach or Aruba could easily be workable with a good location. The issue with Aulani is more the sales than the usage but certainly that's been true for VB/HH over the years. IMO another 1 or better 2 well placed HI resorts could enhance Aulani as well as he system. But another very seasonal resort like HH/VB is more of an issue. Personally anything that gives me reasonable choices is a good thing even if it has a small impact on the 7 month window anyway. A resort at WDW with a demand in the SSR to AKV range will have a MUCH larger impact that even a large resort elsewhere would have assuming it had some inherent demand.

I agree that Disney needs to do something to expand their dvc offerings outside the parks. When we bought we were also told they would be expanding their resort offerings. Our RCI experience has been less than stellar so we’ve looked forward to new out of area resorts.

The issues selling HH and VB are not only were they some of the very first resorts before dvc membership expanded to where it is now, but they are both seasonal, particularly HH. It really is a beach resort but it is not far enough south for it to be a significant destination when the weather cools off. Even still, have you tried to get reservations at either resort during the spring and summer. It can be tough.

On to Aulani - what a nice idea for a lovely resort, but here’s the reality in terms of sales - I live in FL so why would I expand my membership and buy it has my home. It would cost my family of 4 easily over $2000 just to get there. Unless we win the lottery that’s not a trip we would make more than once or possibly twice. We would also invest a minimum of 2 full days in travel there and back. Most places east of the Mississippi fall into the same situation.

I personally like the idea of a CO resort. It doesn’t have the seasonality issues and I could easily see it being difficult to book during the fall for color changes, winter for skiing and summer for hiking and outdoor activities. Many places in the US could occasionally find an air fare for $200 pp. My family for example could even do long weekend trips there. The same applies for some of the other resorts that haven’t panned out such as in the DC area.

So yes, dvc hasn’t been successful with their out of areas offerings but I think HH and VB are too old to be comparable going forward and Aulani was a strategic gamble that hasn’t turned out as anticipated.

I agree that Disney needs to do something to expand their dvc offerings outside the parks. When we bought we were also told they would be expanding their resort offerings. Our RCI experience has been less than stellar so we’ve looked forward to new out of area resorts.

The issues selling HH and VB are not only were they some of the very first resorts before dvc membership expanded to where it is now, but they are both seasonal, particularly HH. It really is a beach resort but it is not far enough south for it to be a significant destination when the weather cools off. Even still, have you tried to get reservations at either resort during the spring and summer. It can be tough.

On to Aulani - what a nice idea for a lovely resort, but here’s the reality in terms of sales - I live in FL so why would I expand my membership and buy it has my home. It would cost my family of 4 easily over $2000 just to get there. Unless we win the lottery that’s not a trip we would make more than once or possibly twice. We would also invest a minimum of 2 full days in travel there and back. Most places east of the Mississippi fall into the same situation.

I personally like the idea of a CO resort. It doesn’t have the seasonality issues and I could easily see it being difficult to book during the fall for color changes, winter for skiing and summer for hiking and outdoor activities. Many places in the US could occasionally find an air fare for $200 pp. My family for example could even do long weekend trips there. The same applies for some of the other resorts that haven’t panned out such as in the DC area.

So yes, dvc hasn’t been successful with their out of areas offerings but I think HH and VB are too old to be comparable going forward and Aulani was a strategic gamble that hasn’t turned out as anticipated.
There are lots of particulars to each situation but in reality the main issue, IMO, is they have been too kids glove in sales. They were complacent and greedy letting the fact that WDW effectively sold itself color their judgement related to sales expectations for VB & HH. Yes HHI & VB are seasonal but so are most locations, even HI to a degree. The other big issue, IMO for HH/VB, is they tried to cut corners on cost/location. They went to second rate locations and hoped they would be perceived as a prime location because it was DVC, they weren't. The other approach they could have taken, and one that likely would have worked better for them but not for us, was to have a trust without a home resort priority. Aulani has potential but they need a Maui resort in a very good location and 3 islands would be better. Kauai would likely be easier to come up with a good location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter