What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill completely disagree with the last statement. Everything else I understand but the last statement to me, just makes no sense. With a party of 4 Christmas Day we pulled BTMRR, 7DMT, Space, Pan, Jungle Cruise, POC, Haunted Mansion, Buzz then bounced to Ak and pulled FoP, Everest, Dinosaur, etc.

On any given weekend day we can go and with a party of 2-4 pull pretty much whatever we want. And the amount of FPs available is always easy to manage prior to about 6PM when they get difficult to maneuver around.

But we havent pulled FPs in advance in forever and we go every 2nd or 3rd weekend on a Saturday or Sunday. We wake up and on the drive over decide which park we want to go, pull 3 FPs, and then when we get tot he park refresh, refresh, refresh. As long as its a day we are in the mood to ride things. About a month ago on one day we did every eride at every park ( there was an after hours at MK but even without it had we skipped our dinner at Wave the results wouldve been the same) in a single day.

We are going next Saturday 22nd and havent pulled a FP yet and are planning to see how many FPs we will actually use ( Not burners and not just doing easy to get ones), we can pull in one day across 2 or 3 parks. Ive heard 21 is the highest anyone has heard, but, I think thats beatable as we can average in general 12-15 on any given day just at chill and enjoy speed.

So I disagree that FP+ Has taken away flexibility. Day of its quite easy.
I think “flexibility” is subjective ... it doesn’t mean the same thing to all of us.

To me, someone in their 50’s, there’s hardly anything flexible about Disney parks anymore. With ADRs scheduled 6 months out and FPs at 30 to 60 days out, the only thing not scheduled is restroom breaks 😜.

It makes me sad to see so many people in the parks these days with their heads buried in their phones. I understand why they’re doing it, but I truly don’t believe they’re experiencing the parks the way Walt intended. But that’s just an opinion of an old nostalgic sap who favors those fabulous animatronics.

I know Disney has to be innovative and move forward with new technologies and the like to remain viable and relevant to the generation who will replace me. I just don’t have to like it. 😞

we're planning 4-5 days of paid activities, including 2.5 days at local theme parks.

Are you going to Canobie? I went for the first time a couple years ago and it was delightful. They even have (I believe) the only dark ride in New England. It was so weird, I rode it twice in a row. Which really confused the kids working there.

It makes me sad to see so many people in the parks these days with their heads buried in their phones. I understand why they’re doing it, but I truly don’t believe they’re experiencing the parks the way Walt intended. But that’s just an opinion of an old nostalgic sap who favors those fabulous animatronics.

Most people probably aren't buried in the MDE app at all times, though. That's just the way people are now, nothing to do with Disney in particular. God knows I'm guilty of playing games on my phone in line, Instagramming, playing Pokemon Go, texting, browsing the internet, etc. while in the parks.

Awhile back I stumbled on a neat website: Global Attraction Attendance Report-AECOM. Every May they publish the attendance of all Theme Parks and Museums around the world. So this May we will get the 2019 attendance. For 2016, 2017, 2018 the following is the attendance in millions (rounded DOWN for consistency): MK: 20.3, 20.4, 20.8; HS: 10.7, 10.7, 11.2; EPCOT: 10.8, 12.2, 12.4; AK: 10.8, 12.5, 13.7. I will be very interested in the numbers for 2019 to see if the conjecture of many that attendance was flat or lower in 2019 is true or not.

Totally echo this. Less planning, more flow has helped a lot. But I understand that its not so easy for others, I've been to the parks enough and have gotten to an age, where throttling down isn't too hard an adjustement. Again, I totally get where people can be frustrated with the whole experience as it is right now.
Definitely. I'm trying to be careful about how I reply to stuff like this because everyone has their priorities, and I don't have children so I don't know how that affects how people plan. There's just a lot happening here.

A funny thing about this is that when my family used to go to DW as a kid, I vividly remember having to wake up way early, getting over for early opening, racing for the top rides, having this and that planned to a T, and... being kind of stressed about it (think my parents knew this and specifically planned "pool time" so we could relax for a minute). I enjoyed a lot of it but there was a sense of the vacation being a bit too much like work, even as a 9 year old. There were dining reservations we had to work around! Bouncing between parks each day! This was in the early 90s. So in some ways the way we plan Disney vacations has changed (FPs certainly haven't helped the situation), but the core idea of making sure you squeeze everything possible into the trip... I think that's been a thing for awhile for families who are intense about planning, and unfortunately it looks like I have that gene.

Are you going to Canobie? I went for the first time a couple years ago and it was delightful. They even have (I believe) the only dark ride in New England. It was so weird, I rode it twice in a row. Which really confused the kids working there.

We had planned Santa's Village, Story Land, Cranmore Mountain and also driving into Vermont for a day to visit their Natural Science Centre. But that's good to hear because I actually just came across Canobie not long ago and it looks really nice! I was wondering if it would be worth adding a night down that way to do the park, maybe in place of Story Land or Cranmore. I think it's about 2 hours from where we're staying.

International travel declined in 2016 but has been back up since. I can't imagine Trump had that huge of an effect in 2016 since he wasn't technically in office. I would think the stronger US dollar is having more of an impact but again international travel hasn't actually declined for the US.
Fair enough, I haven’t researched the numbers. It’s something I hear quite often though. I’m sure a lot depends on country, etc.

Fair enough, I haven’t researched the numbers. It’s something I hear quite often though. I’m sure a lot depends on country, etc.
I get the impression most are just saying things like that YKWIM? It's also easy to say when you had no immediate plans to travel there in the first place.

I know more international travelers on the Boards who mentioned terrible exchange rates than those who avoid for political reasons though. I remember how a few years ago Brazil's economy was what kept a healthy chunk of expected WDW Brazilian visitors away.

That said of course some people will avoid for political reasons. Americans do this too with other countries..but with respects to WDW numbers I'm betting exchange rates and economic health of one's own country prevail as the more significant preventer.

Definitely. I'm trying to be careful about how I reply to stuff like this because everyone has their priorities, and I don't have children so I don't know how that affects how people plan. There's just a lot happening here.

A funny thing about this is that when my family used to go to DW as a kid, I vividly remember having to wake up way early, getting over for early opening, racing for the top rides, having this and that planned to a T, and... being kind of stressed about it (think my parents knew this and specifically planned "pool time" so we could relax for a minute). I enjoyed a lot of it but there was a sense of the vacation being a bit too much like work, even as a 9 year old. There were dining reservations we had to work around! Bouncing between parks each day! This was in the early 90s. So in some ways the way we plan Disney vacations has changed (FPs certainly haven't helped the situation), but the core idea of making sure you squeeze everything possible into the trip... I think that's been a thing for awhile for families who are intense about planning, and unfortunately it looks like I have that gene.

My wife and i started going to WDW together in 2008, we've been a lot since then, id say the trip prior to FP+ were so much fun. To us, it offered flexibility. Our trips were planned for each day, and yes we had ADRs. But there were many times where we just werent filling a certain park, and wed say "screw it" and head to another park instead. Its really hard to do that now with FP+.

However, at least i know i'm going to get to ride FOP.

there needs to be a better way. its so rigid now.

My wife and i started going to WDW together in 2008, we've been a lot since then, id say the trip prior to FP+ were so much fun. To us, it offered flexibility. Our trips were planned for each day, and yes we had ADRs. But there were many times where we just werent filling a certain park, and wed say "screw it" and head to another park instead. Its really hard to do that now with FP+.

However, at least i know i'm going to get to ride FOP.

there needs to be a better way. its so rigid now.

It wasn't always easy to do that with the old paper fastpasses, either. You'd show up at DHS at rope drop and get a TSMM fastpass for 4pm and be stuck there all day.

We find it quite easy with fp+ and think it makes it more flexible. I think it depends on the individual situation
Completely agree. I find it significantly easier and much more flexible with FP+ compared to paper FP. Being able to get FPs for one park, while standing in line at a completely different park is so nice and definitely wasn't something you could do before.

I like FP+ bc we stay on property and get a 60 window. If we only got 30 days or less to book I am sure my opinion would change.

Pretty sure FP+ is better for Disney (than guests) bc of the data they can collect. They know which park your going to, what time and how many will be with you. Also, where in the park you will be at specific times etc. In fact, the MDE app tracks your location and can only imagine what Disney does with this info.

Back in September 2019 I posted how I felt with Disney pricing us out (Post# 106). Well, it's finally happening. Upcoming Spring Break trip for our family of 4, we are doing 6 nights Beach Club, Club level room only and it cost us $4303. That trip has been paid for along with 3 days at Vero beach before we arrive at WDW so we are still going. Looking at our next trip, we had the same 6 nights booked for October, same resort, Club Level. The room only price, with AP discount was $6082. That is a big jump in price so I decided to look at Universal and ended up booking the same 6 nights at Hard Rock in a Deluxe 2 queen room, Club Level, park to park tickets, Express Pass Unlimited, Priority seating at a number of restaurants, early morning access every day of the trip all for $5100. For now I am keeping our Christmas trip since I got a pretty good deal at GDT with Club Level but the value of a Disney trip is at the tipping point for us.

Back in September 2019 I posted how I felt with Disney pricing us out (Post# 106). Well, it's finally happening. Upcoming Spring Break trip for our family of 4, we are doing 6 nights Beach Club, Club level room only and it cost us $4303. That trip has been paid for along with 3 days at Vero beach before we arrive at WDW so we are still going. Looking at our next trip, we had the same 6 nights booked for October, same resort, Club Level. The room only price, with AP discount was $6082. That is a big jump in price so I decided to look at Universal and ended up booking the same 6 nights at Hard Rock in a Deluxe 2 queen room, Club Level, park to park tickets, Express Pass Unlimited, Priority seating at a number of restaurants, early morning access every day of the trip all for $5100. For now I am keeping our Christmas trip since I got a pretty good deal at GDT with Club Level but the value of a Disney trip is at the tipping point for us.
Where was the $1800 increase? Room couldnt of gone up $300/ night.

Where was the $1800 increase? Room couldnt of gone up $300/ night.
Well it did. I swear Disney is driving me absolutely crazy right now but thanks to your reply, I decided to have a look at the prices yet again and I just changed our upcoming Spring Break trip to the same days, exact same room (Beach Club, Club Level) and am saving around $400. I also just searched October again and it's now $4760 without AP discount. Strange things going on but we are still going to Universal since the girls have never been. Now to see if Christmas prices changed.

Well it did. I swear Disney is driving me absolutely crazy right now but thanks to your reply, I decided to have a look at the prices yet again and I just changed our upcoming Spring Break trip to the same days, exact same room (Beach Club, Club Level) and am saving around $400. I also just searched October again and it's now $4760 without AP discount. Strange things going on but we are still going to Universal since the girls have never been. Now to see if Christmas prices changed.
Hmm, def strange but that $4760 def makes me feel better than the >$6k. Universal is fun and being able to walk from Hard Rock will be great. 5 park days is more than enough to do everything at both parks, esp with Express pass.

I’m interested to see what this year brings. This came up on the podcast recently, but I have reached the limit of being able to justify the annual pass. Your diehard fans will do what they can to make these trips a priority, even in economic uncertainty..... to a point. I can’t make the number of visits needed to make the pass worth it when I look at the cost for my family to come with.

and if we are talking about avoiding a Disney divorce, peacing out 4 times a year and leaving your husband with 2 under 4 is probably not the best idea haha.

I’m interested to see what this year brings. This came up on the podcast recently, but I have reached the limit of being able to justify the annual pass. Your diehard fans will do what they can to make these trips a priority, even in economic uncertainty..... to a point. I can’t make the number of visits needed to make the pass worth it when I look at the cost for my family to come with.

and if we are talking about avoiding a Disney divorce, peacing out 4 times a year and leaving your husband with 2 under 4 is probably not the best idea haha.

I agree. Especially out of state passholders like my family. Feels like they are soaking us with this latest price increase. We spend at least $30k a year at Disney World, but this last increase really rubbed me the wrong way. I think we may take a break and try some other things once this pass runs out in August.

Plus, and maybe it's just me, but Disney seems to be prioritizing profits over experience. We have had several negative customer service experiences in the last year. In fact, we went MLK weekend and one of the things we bought was a backpack. Unfortunately, the cashier didn't remove the die pack security device and we didn't notice it until we got back home. I can't even get their customer service to respond to me in weeks. If they care so much about money, maybe they could not pay their CEO almost $66 million a year.

I've loved Disney since I was a kid in the 70s, but they are about to lose me. I hate I feel this way, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter