What is worst case scenario for points in holding

tgropp

DIS Veteran
The unimaginable will be unfolding for our Disney Christmas vacation. Canada is about to put a ban on non essential travel tomorrow which means that you travel at your own risk, which means no health insurance for anyone, even when it is purchased. I have a 2 BR villa at BRV from Dec 16 through the 26’th. I will be cancelling the reservation tomorrow. What will actually happen to my points. Not all sure about the points in holding or how it works. I’m heartbroken

you could theoretically try and rent your reservation out using the DVC rental store. It's possible the owner might rent it from you as a last minute bonus for someone in their office...but I am not sure you'll get much money per point given the distressed sale.

As far as holding -- it's not the end of the world if your Use Year is anything past April. You obviously have a lot of points tied up -- so you'll be needing to likely rent out a bunch of smaller confirmed reservations since it will be difficult to find large stays within 60 days.

Best advice I can give you is to call the DVC rental store and see what their pros suggest. They know the market and can give you good advice.

Notwithstanding the above -- if you are leaving in 2 days -- what do you need health insurance for? Are you worried someone in your group might come down with COVID and not be able to travel? (I'm ignorant when it comes to international travel requirements right now with covid).

ETA -- sorry. I misread. You said health insurance. I thought you meant travel insurance. That certainly changes things.

Two friends who didn‘t have International travel problems recently did receive Pixie Dust from DVC CMs, I hope you get the same. I am so sorry you will be missing your much looked forward to vacation.

I agree that a call to MS is worth it because as some of these restrictions were in place last year when they did make exceptions.

I am so sorry.

I understand your concern, we are in the same situation but leaving on December 27… Banked points from last year, after we postponed our December 2020 and March 2021 trips… Really exhausted…

Good luck OP, please come back and let us know what MS said and so sorry about your trip.

They are doing favours for International Travellers (Canadians). I think you will be fine by calling M.S.

lots of canadian travel insurance providers cover alert level 3 'avoid non essential travel' if the reason is for the alert level is covid (CAA for example). You should check with your insurance provider

Thanks for all the advice ! We purchased medical insurance through a US provider and I am drinking a coffee on my patio at OKW as I type this. I have a feeling things will change regarding travel within the next week
So happy for you!!

I agree that first thing I would do is call member services and ask really nicely if due to current circumstances the points could be restored to their respective use year without penalty.

I agree that first thing I would do is call member services and ask really nicely if due to current circumstances the points could be restored to their respective use year without penalty.

I find it odd that we are even discussing other options until this has been addressed. I cannot imagine under these circumstances that MS wouldn't return the points in a normal manner. At this point, I think everything else is superfluous until we know the answer.

I find it odd that we are even discussing other options until this has been addressed. I cannot imagine under these circumstances that MS wouldn't return the points in a normal manner. At this point, I think everything else is superfluous until we know the answer.
OP resolved it themselves -
Thanks for all the advice ! We purchased medical insurance through a US provider and I am drinking a coffee on my patio at OKW as I type this. I have a feeling things will change regarding travel within the next week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter