What is your opinion on the United Kingdom?

I am definitely there as well, but also in the home stretch of raising my daughters—oldest is 21 and youngest is 14. When my girls were young my parents helped me with my kids, now my kids help me with my parents. “Role Reversal”
You are what's officially known as the "sandwich generation". Been there; bless you. :flower3:

The three years from retirement stretch and then travel...travel...travel. Pleased with my defined value system, life accomplishments, and goals attainment; not afraid to say what needs to be said.

There used to be a British Comedy that was titled "Waiting to Die". I'd say that is where I'm at now. I'm only in my seventies and everyone tells me that I'm young, but reality has the odds stacked against me. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for any sympathy, because I am surprisingly calm about it. I have lived a long and mostly happy life. I have stayed pretty healthy until recent years, I have a family that loves and cares about me, but I'm tired. I haven't had a hard life in particular, but no one can say that extreme wealth was my downfall. I can accept that my time is limited and I really don't want to go beyond the point where I can no longer be independent. I feel as though I've been rode hard and put away wet. I don't have a problem with hanging around as long as I can still function on my own. I'm less scared of dying then I am about being unable to do things on my own. Sorry if this was too morbid, but we all have to face this at some point in time and no one that isn't a little long in the tooth should even be thinking about it yet, but life is a series of transitions. This is just one of them.

Waiting. For my 92 year old mother-in-law from Hell to kick the bucket so all of us can get our own lives back. Constant 24/7 care since February of 2020 has been a nightmare. Waiting for my 65 year old husband to retire next May. He’s looking forward to not working but not looking forward to having to take care of his mother even more then he does already. Waiting to be able to just enjoy our lives again. I’ve been watching our 3 granddaughters for over 10 years although mostly just school breaks and summer vacation now. Seems like all we do now is work and take care of grandkids and elderly parents.

Last edited:
Empty Nester or Second Act
I just wanted to expand on this a bit. I’m done raising my children; my youngest just graduated from college. Our parents all live in other states near our siblings, so needing to actively care for them some day probably won’t happen for us. I’m almost finished with total knee replacements (it was a year long ordeal with an infection and multiple hospitalizations, but the end is in sight), which I did so I can maintain an active lifestyle as I age. I’m working on losing another 40 pounds to make that active lifestyle even easier. I probably have to teach school for another 10 years at least. But I want to enjoy these next 10+ years and my retirement years and have one hell of a good time! This quote from Hunter S. Thompson comes to mind:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

I am definitely there as well, but also in the home stretch of raising my daughters—oldest is 21 and youngest is 14. When my girls were young my parents helped me with my kids, now my kids help me with my parents. “Role Reversal”

I was so lucky I wasn't part of the "sandwich generation" as my kids were both over 18 when this shift truly happened - but it has been so cool to see my kids stepping up to help my parents. You must be so proud!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter