What is your opinion on the United Kingdom?

My apologies perhaps they were.
Looking at the current state of affairs not sure who the winner eventually was.
:offtopic: Only slightly OT (sorry) but extremely interesting - CBC currently has a series available on-demand called the Book of Negroes. It tells a fascinating story of runaway slaves who fought for the British in the Revolutionary War in order to win their own freedom. When King George withdrew his troops, thousands of former slaves were relocated to Nova Scotia as part of the peace treaties. I was unaware of this bit of history. The series is very well done and I highly recommend it.

Never been there, but my nephew was there for a time while in the Air Force several years ago, and he and his buddies kept being ridiculed for being 'from the colonies'. (Of course their retort was, who won the war?) :-) Could have been an age group thing, but it did leave some not so good memories with him.
I am sorry about your nephew’s experience. It sounds as though they crossed paths with the local dimwits. Sadly, (and a very broad generalisation) the general public don’t have the same reverence and respect for the armed services in the U.K. as you do in the US. I don’t know why.

I am sorry about your nephew’s experience. It sounds as though they crossed paths with the local dimwits. Sadly, (and a very broad generalisation) the general public don’t have the same reverence and respect for the armed services in the U.K. as you do in the US. I don’t know why.

I’m guessing lots of war propaganda here. The last time the public turned on soldiers was Vietnam.

Thanks, but that's ok - every country has them!! We don't hold it against them! :) Not near as bad as how our guys were treated 'here' after the Vietnam war (dh being one of them)

Because the reverence and the display of military force can be perceived as scary and threatening?

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with the former but not the later. Wales did very well from generous EU funding.
Interesting. I'm marginally a fan of Swansea AFC, and have had occasion to interact in an online forum with some local fans, and found them to be largely pro-Brexit. It's entirely possible I was engaging with an unusual sample, or mistaken in my impressions. Would you say yours is a majority opinion locally?

I love it! London is my favorite city in the world. We have spent extensive time in Windsor and it holds a special place in our hearts. In fact, I'm hoping to go to Europe next year and wherever we go will absolutely include a stopover in London & Windsor.

Why we love the UK:

-the history
-the castles
-the weather (yep, I actually love the 60 degree overcast summer days!)
-walking and public transportation (we never use public transport where we live in the US, drive everywhere)
-the accent :)

We have only gone once (London) but I will definitely be going back (God willing) it was a fascinating place to visit (coming from a girl that primarily visits tropical destinations for vaca). The individuals I conversed with were very engaging and open, some of things that amused us was their love for baked beans for breakfast, and their elevator protocol. Very fond memories.

I was in London for a few days with a bunch of college girlfriends back in 1988 and again with my family in 2019. We stopped in for a few days while on our way to South Africa for safari. We all loved London. I would love to spend some more time exploring the both London and the English countryside as well as some other historical areas in the UK. DH and DS went to Ireland on a golf and sightseeing trip in 2015 and loved it! I was totally jealous that I didn’t get to go, but I had to accompany DD on her high school softball team trip to WDW, which was pretty fun too. Maybe some day...

Last edited:
As a Brit myself, I'm going to be biased. There's so much to see, and if you're brave enough to venture out to the Land of the Red Dragon, you'll experience a culture that is one of the last vestiges of Britonnic Celtdom, and has a language that is the oldest in Britain, since its ancestry is that of the old British Celtic tongue, which existed long before the Anglo-Saxons came.

Interesting. I'm marginally a fan of Swansea AFC, and have had occasion to interact in an online forum with some local fans, and found them to be largely pro-Brexit. It's entirely possible I was engaging with an unusual sample, or mistaken in my impressions. Would you say yours is a majority opinion locally?
It is interesting and you are right of the 22 Welsh counties only 6 voted to remain. Wales has received £4 billion from the EU since 2000 mainly used for structural funding, agricultural grants, arts, biodiversity etc. Swansea University’s newest campus was funded by a £40 million EU grant. We receive £245 million more a year in regular funding than we pay in, with the biggest chunk of that going to farming communities and the Welsh valleys still reeling from Thatcherism. From a financial viewpoint leaving makes no logical sense for Wales, but we are a nationalistic people.😉

As a U.S. citizen, I had the rare privilege of working directly with several prominent Formula 1 teams based in England. We developed the technology and they were very keen on developing a relationship. I think the difference I noticed was the value of building a longer-term relationship rather than a quick sale and move on approach that I had with many U.S. corporations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter