• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What makes a more expensive resort "worth it" to you?

Disney's website says that next year will be available to book online as of the 20th. I'm looking forward to seeing the available options then. Do you guys find booking super early is the way to go and then keep an eye out for deals? Or are the prices at their maximum early on?

At least in the past, the prices are already set (or will be by the time they are released) based on date/season, and the rack rate doesn't change as the resorts fill up or as time passes. But what room category is available does change.

Once I know my dates, my strategy is to book what I can afford, and then when the discounts come out, check to see if I can upgrade to something I would like better. Either a better view at the same resort or a different resort altogether.

Location/Transportation

Sit down restaurants

Larger rooms (we are a family of five)

Club Level option (which we enjoy)

We are pretty frugal in our day to day lives (modest house, cars....) but vacation is one thing that we chose to splurge on as a family.

Wow I love the amount of responses in a day. Thank you all for sharing.

The top reason seems to be location and transportation. My family is very used to public transportation so they won't mind the buses but being able to take a boat ride to the gates of a park would be completely magical to them!

When we went to DL a little while back we stayed at the hotel with the mini water park (east side, north end) and it was a life saver! I was thinking the big waterparks at WDW would substitute in place of that. Giving it more practical thought, having a great pool with a slide at our resort will be key.

Disney's website says that next year will be available to book online as of the 20th. I'm looking forward to seeing the available options then. Do you guys find booking super early is the way to go and then keep an eye out for deals? Or are the prices at their maximum early on?

I rarely book any further in advance than 3 months, I just don't know when I'll be able to go. Even though I stay in the deluxe resorts and can afford to pay rack rate, I never do. I shop around looking at the WDW site for discounts then go to Orbitz and Travelocity and see what discounts they have. I've been known to do part of a split stay using Orbitz and part using a WDW discount.

The location of the resort is very important to us. We prefer the EP area resorts because of how easy it is to get into 2 theme parks and to access several resorts. We don't spend all day in the parks, so access to pools, recreational activities, and a variety of restaurants is important. My family would chose staying at a nicer resort for a shorter period of time over a less expensive resort for a longer period of time. I have never paid rack rate for a room and I have been fortunate to find deals that make deluxe rooms in our budget. For extended family trips, staying in the EP resorts was great because it was easy to go our separate ways and meet up later.

For trips without our kids, we often stay in moderate/value resorts because we don't plan on spending much time at the resort itself.

a lot of what the others have said

However- we go deluxe usually at AKL and that isn't much location but does have dedicated buses. It has its downsides but I feel the atmosphere and lower price point makes it high quality. Also, I feel like the extra 5 to 10 minutes to get to MK isn't that big of deal.

one of the BIGGEST---- I like the Hotel feel compared to the motel feel. I like HALLWAYS- FL WEATHER IS CRAZY! Don't have to walk 20 miles in the rain or heat or cold- can get inside and have cover to get to your room.

A general feeling of luxury and exquisite theming is definitely high up there.
I like to feel like I'm on vacation and treating myself. I think along with that comes the amenities--especially multiple table service restaurants.

Location/transportation is an extremely close second.

I agree with this. When I'm on vacation I want to feel like I'm in luxury.

We upgrade to mods, but can't justify the price of the deluxe resorts.

The queen beds at the mods are a big deal, and I appreciate the multiple bus stops and extra dining options that the mod resorts offer. Plus I prefer the "destination theming" much more than the "icon theming" at the values.

Real Talk: Deluxe accommodation at Disney is not a necessity.
If your conscience won't stop piping up about saving some cash for special meals or other add-on experiences that might not be possible if you stay Deluxe, hear it out.

However, in my opinion, resorts in the Deluxe category really do have That Special Something -- especially for first-time visitors.

I could honestly write you a full-on essay about my first Walt Disney World vacation in 1992, my family's stay at the Polynesian, and how that trip (and, specifically, that resort; the theming, the landscaping, the food, the monorail!) had a huge impact on my future as a repeat WDW visitor, lifelong Disney parks enthusiast, and possible "Deluxe Snob"...but that isn't going help you determine what's really worth it for you and your family.

I'm not sure if this will be any help either but, when my family's undecided about where to stay, I'll write up a list of important-to-us things (i.e. room size, transport options, price point, theme, whatever) and then we try to pick whichever resort seems like the best happy medium. It's not a perfect system, but it definitely helps us prioritize and figure out what's "worth it" for us.

RE: prices, if you're booking directly through Disney, I feel like earlier is usually better. But other, wiser posters will hopefully give you some better insight on this than I can.
Best of luck with all your planning!

I tend to stay at value resorts when I know I will be spending very little time at the resort. Sleep, a quick meal, and maybe a swim. I stay at moderate resorts when I will be spending more down time at the resort. Deluxe resorts are for when I want easy access to the parks.

• 2 bedroom villas (5 of us including 2 teens)
  • Location with walk to a park

Last edited:
Location is important, but it isn't only about the transportation options. Staying in a resort on the monorail where you can see the castle from your resort is magical!!! Watching MK fireworks from your room or the beach is priceless! Swimming in a pool that looks toward the MK is another special moment. These resorts that you can see from the MK (and to some extent the Epcot resorts) make you feel like you are really staying RIGHT THERE. It's Like: You are in that bubble and can see the beautiful iridescence all around you! It is a part of the Disney experience that is enhanced by proximity to the parks, IMO. It is hard to describe, but sitting on our balcony with my two precious granddaughters in their jammies and watching Wishes fireworks, was a moment that I will always treasure. It still brings tears to my eyes. For years after they talked of the CR as 'our' hotel and still love that the monorail glides right through it! Staying in the BC and sitting on the balcony listening to the music from the UK is another memory that makes me nostalgic. You really feel like you are staying in Epcot when you stay there. It's not just convenient - it adds to the magic!

Other reasons that we love staying in deluxe have already been covered by other PP's. One thing that I don't recall seeing mentioned is avoiding large groups. They usually stay in either value or moderate resorts and, while often they are fine, can sometimes lead to crowded food courts, additional noise, uncomfortable experiences on the bus, etc. We just prefer the generally 'quieter' experience of the deluxe.

Wow I love the amount of responses in a day. Thank you all for sharing.

The top reason seems to be location and transportation. My family is very used to public transportation so they won't mind the buses but being able to take a boat ride to the gates of a park would be completely magical to them!

When we went to DL a little while back we stayed at the hotel with the mini water park (east side, north end) and it was a life saver! I was thinking the big waterparks at WDW would substitute in place of that. Giving it more practical thought, having a great pool with a slide at our resort will be key.

We want something booked early so that we know we have a place where we are able to stay for our dates that is affordable and that will meet our needs for that trip. We DO NOT book the place that we would like to stay if there is a discount, because if no discount is released, then we are trying to find something else that will work when there are fewer options to choose from. Knowing that we have a plan means that I can relax a little. (Then we begin watching for a discount that will allow us to upgrade, if available.) It is good to have a room booked in order to book ADR's and FP+ when your dates come around. Discounts are not always available in time - especially for ADR's. I have booked less than 6 months in advance, but then I often have to work to get my ADR's at some places and when I want them.

Another thing that we do is often book split stays. However, initially we often book a single stay to make booking ADR's throughout our visit a 'one stop shopping' experience. Then, when we upgrade, all our ADR's have been booked, so we can switch to something like an MK and an Epcot resort, for example.

At least in the past, the prices are already set (or will be by the time they are released) based on date/season, and the rack rate doesn't change as the resorts fill up or as time passes. But what room category is available does change.

Once I know my dates, my strategy is to book what I can afford, and then when the discounts come out, check to see if I can upgrade to something I would like better. Either a better view at the same resort or a different resort altogether.

Yes!! This is essentially what we do as well! Our first booking is often at a moderate or even a value!

As stated above, once rates are released, they don't change. It is sometimes possible to get a discount, but rack rates never fluctuate as time goes on like other hotels.

we go deluxe usually at AKL and that isn't much location but does have dedicated buses. It has its downsides but I feel the atmosphere and lower price point makes it high quality. Also, I feel like the extra 5 to 10 minutes to get to MK isn't that big of deal.

I agree! We love AKL as it's a great resort with good transportation.

Location is important, but it isn't only about the transportation options. Staying in a resort on the monorail where you can see the castle from your resort is magical!!! Watching MK fireworks from your room or the beach is priceless! Swimming in a pool that looks toward the MK is another special moment. These resorts that you can see from the MK (and to some extent the Epcot resorts) make you feel like you are really staying RIGHT THERE. It's Like: You are in that bubble and can see the beautiful iridescence all around you! It is a part of the Disney experience that is enhanced by proximity to the parks, IMO.

:thumbsup2

Depends--for moderates, it's the theming to me, the vegetation, the lakes, etc. Also, for the WL and AKL, it is definitely the incredible theming throughout these two--some of the most beautiful anywhere--and I've stayed at plenty in a whole lot of places in my long life. For the rest of the deluxe resorts, it's about location and convenience. I'm never really impressed with their theming--I like the Boardwalk Inn and the Polynesian a bit more than the rest. Size of the room can be a factor too--no getting around it that the Poly and CR have really big rooms. Are they worth paying extra for most times--let's just say, I would never pay full price for any of them. Have fun deciding. It's all about the planning, don't you know!

Proximity to the parks we love and that matters to us. End of story. Maybe it's because neither of us grew up in lower-middle-class households. I didn't fly for a family vacation until I was 14, and it was a huge deal. We stayed off site at a local hotel (because we got rooms at the employee rate) and packed snacks into the park. My husband and I have no kids, love going to Disney, and every decision we make that involves not spending money is one that we make because we prefer the outcome, not because we want to spare the spending. Anything that better fits the definition of carefree vacation gets put in the budget and we figure out how to best make it happen.

For us, we want to be able to "pop over to Epcot" for some food and wine enjoyment, because that's what we're there for. It seems as though we're on the "Odd year" plan for visiting, which suits me just fine. We've stayed at CBR for our first trip, and the bus system drove us nuts. It took forever to get anywhere. When you fly across the country to spend time somewhere, you want it all to be intentional and relaxing. Sitting at a bus stop or in a queue or on a bus is not relaxing, and it is a waste of our time and vacation energy.

Two years later, we "splurged on a Deluxe" and our honeymoon was spent at the Boardwalk. It was amazing to have that proximity. When we discussed the upcoming trip, he hates planning, but I asked him for his top three priorities in terms of spend for the budget - and he didn't even pause before he said "Walking to Epcot." His next two mentions were of his favourite restaurants. Last time he started with restaurants.

Last time we spent a total of $500 on food in six days, including tips, which included three signature meals and as much as we wanted and more at F&W, thanks to carefully considering what we wanted to do and how we wanted to do it - and then realizing that we'd stumbled into Free Dining accidentally. This time, by using a travel agent, we were able to capture some significant savings on the room, and what we're paying is very reasonable over the cost of a moderate, and we're still going to enjoy every last bite of amazing food. Three days more is going to cost us less than our last trip overall.

OP, you were right. Spend is spend, and what is spent one place cannot be spent in another. The key, for us, is to ask that key question of each person going - "What are your top three most-wants out of your vacation?" Then we do our best to find a way to make as many of those work as possible while meeting the family needs (naps in the afternoon, etc) and find the deals that make us sense, instead of making our vacation about whatever we could find a deal on.

If it's more time in the parks, then being closer to the park they want to spend the most time in makes a deluxe make sense - start shopping for a great rate and keep your eye peeled for a Unique Offer Code. If it's steak for every meal, then the Deluxe Dining Plan becomes something that's worth considering into the budget and maybe you're looking for Free Dining to help reduce that cost. If it's resort amenities, then look for the ones you want and find a deal on it.

I knew one person who stayed at the CBR but flew first class to get there, because flying was something she hated so much - that was literally how she spent the extras-budget.

You and your family relax in your own ways, and your vacation should promote that for all, not inhibit it. If spending more money on the hotel gives you more heartburn with less return than being on a bus for at least two hours per day, then that's up to you. You do you!

Location, convenience, transportation, food options, ambiance. There is so much to do at WDW and only so much energy we have. We have always stayed on the monorail (mostly contemporary) to make things easier. Next time, Wilderness Lodge...a little nervous to be off the monorail, but know we are going to have a great time. Went with DBF to food and wine and stayed at pop; we had a great time. whatever works for each party. It is all good.

Good day to you all.

My family and I are currently deciding on which WDW resort to stay at for a visit at the end of August 2018. There are 3 adults and 2 children under 10 in our group. I'd like to throw the question out there:

What makes a more expensive resort "worth it" to you and your family?

I understand we all have a variety of budget levels but money than is spent on one luxury can't be used on another. So why do you choose to, or choose not to, spend more on a resort and less on say food or souvineers etc?

For me it's usually traveling companions as my mom is a hotel snob LOL. However for me it's more about experience. I'm pretty happy with anything clean and at least comparable to mid range. I don't vacation to relax. I stay home to relax. I vacation to do things.

When I'm solo I don't care much about where I stay. I just need a clean room with a bed and a shower. That said I like trying new stuff so I'm a fan of split stays and I'll do Values for the majority and then a night or two at a Mod or Deluxe that is new to me. Next trip I haven't seen any good prices at the Deluxes so I'm going back to POR so I can try an Alligator Bayou room (last time was a Royal Room).

I also would rather spend less on the room and put that money towards experiences. Like Dining with an Imagineer, or Behind the Scene's Tours, or Holiday events. My family is not into that and I am so it makes great solo trip extras.

When I'm with family or friends I tend to stick to Moderates or Deluxe as the Value rooms are small and the extra space is just better as well as double sinks, larger beds, coffee maker and atmosphere (my mom hates the values, tolerates the mods and loves deluxe haha).

I also don't tend to do the more expensive resorts when alone because the 'extras' don't appeal to me.

I don't work out on vacation.

I'm not a pool person, if I'm going to lounge around and read or relax I want to be someplace cool and shady and private, plus I sunburn quickly and to the point of getting sick so I don't sunbathe, ever.

I will stop occasionally in a lobby or lounge to listen to music or have a quick break from my traveling companions, but I don't really get lounging around in hotel lobbies.

I'm not a foodie and while I do plan 1 or 2 TS or dining experiences, I'm much more likely to grab something quick and easy in the parks or a resort. And like resorts I want to try them all so I only eat maybe one meal at my actual resort so that I can try a new place every meal. I'm usually to busy to sit down every meal. I snacked my way through Europe, no joke, I only ate in one sit down type place and that was a street cafe in Paris every thing else was grab food on the way to somewhere.

I am also not the kind of person who likes to hang out in a bar. Not that I never do that but at Disney I'm usually in a park or sleeping. I also tend to drink very conservatively. So I might have a drink with dinner or have one drink at a lounge or outdoor venue but it's really not my idea of fun. Even when I'm with family or friends I usually will have only one drink or two and then switch to club soda or a coke.

I always look at Mods and Deluxes and I can afford them (well mostly, I'm not really in the salary bracket to do Poly TPV at $500-$600 per night) but in the end I'd rather stay mid range and take more trips than blow an entire budget on one trip. And that's anywhere.

Fall 2016- Europe 10days mid range 1 night at high end airport access for convenience and to prepare for the long flight home.
Winter 2017 WDW 3 nights Value/1 night Mod
Spring 2017 Washington D.C. 4 nights Higher Mid range (paid more for location)
Fall 2017 Vegas 3 nights Free but doing some experiences so paying for those
Christmas WDW 3 nights Condo Offsite (with family that I'm paying for) and 3 nights onsite Mod level for now but may go Deluxe.

If I had gone luxury on any of these trips I probably would have done 1 to 2 less trips. So that's my trade off for not doing Deluxe hotels every trip.

Last edited:
For DH and I paying for a moderate (POFQ) is worth it for us. We aren't all day park people and spend time in the lounge at night not mention relaxing by the pool in the afternoons . Staying at POFQ we have 2 lounges & multiple pools to choose from as we can walk up to POR . The boat to DS is a big plus for us as we go there several times a trip for dinner and some trips lunch on arrival day. The bus ride to the 3 parks we visit most (MK, Epcot & DHS) is about 15 or so minutes .
The only Deluxes that appeal to us are the YC/BC but have not gotten a discount to that works for the budget during the time we would be visiting. As far as resort restaurant we usually only eat breakfast and maybe arrival day lunch so the foodcourt works for us . Some trips we do walk up to Boatwright's at POR for a dinner but with DS close by there are enough choices for us if we don't have a special ADR .

love a deluxe for:

location/watercraft option
interior rooms
balcony
bigger beds
two sinks
good pool and lobby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter