What resort for short visit/big group?

MammaMia 80s Kid

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am going to WDW 4/23-25 after my daughter competes in Open Water Nationals in Sarasota w/ my family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids aged 16, 14, and 9) and possibly also my parents.

My mother has been in the hospital and a doctor recently shared concerns that her elevated white blood cells may indicated lymphoma, but we hope not. She has diverticulitis, colitis, and many other digestive issues. She also broke her foot last year and had surgery/has some trouble walking.

We haven’t been there since 2013 when I was pregnant and my oldest is a junior/serious swimmer seeking scholarships with a constant training/competition schedule, so this is our first and last trip as a family while our three kids are in school/living at home and may be the only chance we have to share it with my parents.

It’s a first trip for our youngest, as we’d planned to go after another swim meet for my oldest in St. Pete’s in March of 2020, but COVID cancelled this. We now used our flight credits and personal days off work (I get 2 a year) to get to Sarasota from 4/21-the morning of 4/23 and drive to Orlando from my daughter’s 7.5 K event at 10 a.m.

As we will have 3 park days, I’m debating cancelling our 2 room Port Orleans FQ ($1042 for 2 nights and 2 connected rooms-got 25% off deal) for a suite at the Swan Reserve w/maybe a 2 queen room at the Dolphin one night (I'd do 2, but the Dolphin has a conference and is booked the second night) using Marriott Bonvoy w/ AAA or Senior discounts-still will cost at least $1600 up to over $2000 to go this route-or Old Key West 2 bedroom Villa (actually less $ than SR with 2 rooms-$1521 through Undercover Tourist w/ free parking right at the Villa and no resort fee), but I think Genie + and maybe PH tickets are smartest.

I also have reserved a 2 BR suite at the Marriott Residence Inn at Flamingo Crossings with free hot breakfast daily for around $600 total (+ parking at the hotel of $10/day and parks, $25/day=$85) so we could use the hotel
savings ($400-$1400) towards Genie + and/or PH (maybe even individual LL for Tron or Ratatouille).

However, we then would lose the Early Entry perk and practical access for even some members of our group to take Disney transport to the park in the morning or back to the resort midday for a bit (which might be too wasteful with so little time) and require a MK parking lot/tram or monorail journey on at least 1 of 2 days (def MK first day after driving over from Sarasota). We are only planning to visit MK and Epcot.

As for getting to the parks, we will be driving there from Sarasota (not flying) for the first partial day, beginning sometime after 2 p.m. (daughter's 7.5 K swim is at 10 a.m. in Sarasota that morning). Therefore, we can drive to the park that day, but we may check in and take Disney transport there. I think MK makes sense that day, as we are starting late anyway/should go to the park that is open latest and the one that is biggest with the most attractions to experience.

We also will need to get from Disney to the airport two days later for about 9 p.m. to both return our rental car and make our 10:55 p.m. flight home. Our plan is to pack up the car, check out, and drive to the park with our bags in the car. It's a minivan. We actually will be picking it up in Sarasota 5 days earlier when we fly in to be there for my daughter's training and swim competition there.

It does not make sense to not keep the rental car (a minivan for 7) for the 2 days we are in Disney because that is how we are getting there on arrival day and how we will get from the park to the airport on departure day. It is also free to park at the Disney resort hotels and parks when staying at those hotels. This does not mean we have to drive the car to the park on all days or all get in the car together on the last day--just that it does not make sense to go out of our way to return it on arrival day, then pay for transport to our hotel for 5-7 people (cheapest I see is $16/person each way-so $160-$224 plus taxes, plus the time, stress, and inconvenience-when the full rental is $482 for 6 days) and then have to take Disney transport back to the resort to go to bell services to pick up our bags and get transport to the airport on someone else's schedule-again costing us more time and stress when we have so little time as it is).

While I'm pretty sure we will stay on-site, the reason I'm thinking of the Residence Inn Marriott instead of a Good Neighbor hotel w/ early access is that the Residence Inn Marriott is really new and nice w/ a big 2 BR suite that includes 2 Q and 1 K bed, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, and free hot breakfast for all 5-7 of us daily. It has awesome reviews. The new Drury is a Good Neighbor with similar amenities, but is only available one night.

As I didn’t have the info. on which day my daughter would compete initially, I didn’t find out until recently that we can only be in Disney from the afternoon of the 23rd through around 7:30-8 p.m. on 4/25. Initially, I’d hoped we might have 1-2 more WDW days.

My parents possibly (depending upon my mother's health) joining us developed later, as well, and I begged my husband to invest the extra $600 for the 2 rooms at FQ over POR Riverside w/ 5th sleeper to make it possible for my parents to come (or not)-and be at FQ (as we can't stay in one room there with a family of 5; we need 2 rooms), for we stayed at FQ last time/have fond memories.

Nevertheless, I don’t know if we will have any time at all to even briefly swim at the pool or sit in the spa-as we may try to make the early entry window for shorter lines every morning and likely be at MK until close both nights we are there (not necessarily my parents; they are free to take it easy and enjoy ;-)).

My husband has refused to even look at the accommodations options with me at all and became enraged this evening when checking out my new Disney Visa balance, as I’ve placed the 3 day base passes for 6 (5 of us and my mother) and a 2 day base pass for my father on there (bought through Get Away Today-price matched to Undercover Tourist's flash sale- at $422/each for the 3 day passes and $326 for my father's 2 day pass), the rental minivan-how we are getting there from Sarasota- at 1/2 price ($482-starts midday 3 days before we come to Disney in Sarasota), and a 2 BR suite at OKW for $1526 through Undercover Tourist. It is spacious and has a full kitchen, 2 full baths, a balcony or patio, and access to the store on site and quick service place (we can make breakfast and microwave/toast/cook snacks), and a parking space right at the villa, I believe, but I don’t like that its bus transport may be slower than FQ and it’s so large-love how small FQ is and the memories there.

We have a car, though, but, if at OKW or SR, I’d want to take advantage of Extended Hours at Epcot on our only full day/2nd night, but that would cut into possible MK time and take away the opportunity to enter a longer wait ride line 1 min before close that day, as we’d have to be at Epcot during MK’s final 2 hours, but it would give us a more relaxing day if we did Epcot that day/less pressure to make Early Entry/more leeway to take a midday break to enjoy OKW or SR (could even walk back from SR). But then we’d miss out on being able to get in the LL for Tron that morning at MK or maximize our only full day at MK-bigger park w/ more rides-and if I wanted to use that morning or even most of the day at MK, we’d need to invest the additional $400 (+$200 for my parents if they did the same) in PH. Nevertheless, that’d free us up to go to MK the last day, Tuesday, as we’d surely fully experience Epcot on Mon.

As we need to check out of the hotel and pack up the car, then use it later to get to the airport on Tuesday, it makes the most sense to drive to Epcot on our last day so that we can park and walk right in to the park rather than tram/ferry from TTC for MK--and get right to our car when leaving to make it to the airport in time to return the rental car and catch our flight (10:55 pm).

I think it’d be exhausting to pack the car and rush to check out to get to early entry at any park that last day, especially if we had attended Epcot's Extended Hours the night before, but we could just have some go to the park while at least one adult finished packing up the rental car and driving to the park. Some could even take Disney transport or walk to the park (if it's Epcot and we're at SR). SR allows us to walk to Epcot or take the ferry-or the bus to MK (but it’s to TTC from SR-could walk to BWI and take that bus, but that’s more time to walk there).

My husband directed me to cancel OKW or all reservations besides the one I make a final choice to keep tonight, but I can’t make a decision.

I have until March 22 (or maybe 18) to cancel before I lose $200 through Disney (FQ), one night through Marriott at SR and/or Dolphin or Residence Inn-I have multiple reservations right now), and I have until April 16 to cancel OKW through Undercover Tourist (or lose all $1526), but, once the Disney booking deadline passes, I think I'll cancel all SR and Dolphin reservations and the OKW one and just stick with FQ.

I’m so worried and overwhelmed that I won’t plan this the right way and will waste our money,

Can someone please help me with where to stay- FQ ($1042 w/ 2 queen beds and nice, small resort, but no Extended Hours at Epcot), OKW villa ($1526 w/ plenty of space for us all and extended hours at Epcot with car right at villa), Swan Reserve ($1600-2100 + $72 parking fee w/ 2 Q and sofabed w/ dining table and seating area in one room and 2 Q in other-beautiful/gorgeous rooms and walking and Extended Hours at Epcot with walking and ferry access to Epcot, but bus that doesn’t go to MK gates-but, rather, TTC), or Residence Inn for $600 (+$10/parking at hotel + $25 parking at parks each day with free hot breakfast, but $400-$1500 savings in hotel, but no early entry or evening hours perk or easy ability to take a midday break/go backand forth park to resort and back)?

If only Disney would release After Hours at MK, I’d cancel all but FQ or maybe Residence Inn and buy that for my family and parents if they wanted. I’d rather do AH at MK on Monday than Ext Evening at Epcot, but that option does not exist right now.

I can’t be wasteful or too extravagant. My husband does not know the details or how much things really cost and just balks at the price and the time I've spent researching and reserving. I’ve worked hard to get everything as frugally as possible. By the way, I contribute close to half of our income and also work full-time. I want to give everyone the best and most relaxing and fun time possible.

My husband complains about the cost-but he also will be angry if it’s not nice-yet he doesn’t want to look at anything with me.

Please help me. I’m so stressed out. Thank you!

Last edited:
I would cancel the rental car and keep the reservation at FQ. Then everybody can tour at their own pace. Your parents can return to the resort whenever they want to, your children can go to and from the parks easily. I think giving everyone that freedom would make your trip a lot more relaxing.

Thank you, @Jangles!

About the rental car: We have to drive a rental car from Sarasota to Disney and it just makes sense to keep it so that we can get to the hotel upon arrival and then to the airport when we depart 2 days later with 5-7 people, especially because parking is free at Disney resorts (though not Swan Reserve or S& D or the Residence Inn offsite), and the parks if staying onsite.

But, you’re right; we don’t have to all pile into the car and drive to the park together on the 2 mornings we are at the resort if we are on-site. There will only be one day when returning to the room will be a possibility; we will be checked it on the last day. Staying on-site would leave people free to use the transport and go back and forth if desired.

You’ve already helped me so much-thank you again!, but if you or anyone could answer any of these questions, I’d greatly appreciate it!

How much more efficient is bus transport to Mk and Epcot at FQ than OKW?

How much extra time does driving ourselves cost us when going to MK and possibly Epcot?

I do think FQ is what I will do. Can I add my parents directly with FQ lobby to my reservation/My Disney Exp. later if they only come the second day? I don’t want to add them ahead of time in case they do not come.

Have you ever stayed at OKW? Is it a long commute to and from MK and/or Epcot from OKW? What about driving?

I requested to be near Hospitality House though that’s no guarantee. Is Hospitality House the last stop before the busses leave for the parks? Then, one can get off the bus one stop past Hospitality House and walk back 10 min or sit for 15 min. of drop offs before disembarking at HH? While I love the fact that OKW has plenty of space and amenities, I don’t like its huge size as a resort or know how much time that might cost us.

On the other hand, it seems FQ is a relatively quick trip to either MK or Epcot once one boards the bus in the small resort, like 15 min., but I know sometimes FQ shares with Riverside with 5 stops, which would add quite some time. I don’t know how much. Driving is always an option there.

I just want to consider the pros and cons of the real option of OKW w/ Extended Hours at Epcot before cancelling an amazing rate of $1537 for a 2 Br Villa reservation for 2 nights.

It’s not that we hate walking; we just have so little time that I don’t want to waste it walking instead of experiencing the parks and/or resort pool and spa. I also hate to spend so much on a Disney resort and not use its amenities at all, but the park tickets are the most expensive part of and main reason for the trip, and the amenities will be closed both before we leave for Early Entry and before we return from MK, so I’d like to leave the option to shuttle back to the resort midday open if we can afford it with time (which is partly why I’m leaning toward purchasing Genie + for at least our one full or closer to full MK day). This could cost $400 more for my family.

Thank you again! I appreciate your answering and experience-and I’m aware you may not free not answer these follow-up questions, of course! :-)

Last edited:
I would assume an ECV would be necessary for Mom since you mentioned she has trouble walking. Keep in mind that you’ll need space for that. And POFQ rooms are really not that big. I would be really loath to give up an OKW villa for that reason alone.

I would assume an ECV would be necessary for Mom since you mentioned she has trouble walking. Keep in mind that you’ll need space for that. And POFQ rooms are really not that big. I would be really loath to give up an OKW villa for that reason alone.
Thank you, @kylene!

I don’t think we will do an ECV, as she doesn’t use a walker or anything, and, frankly, I think she has more energy than I do most of the time :-)—-but, yes, she does have trouble with walking with some foot and hip pain sometimes, and there’s a lot of walking at Disney parks!

Her digestive issues are a bigger concern, as bouts of needing to go to the restroom come on very suddenly and she sometimes has to be there for quite a long time.

I agree that OKW has plenty of space-and the access to the Extended Evening Hours at Epcot! I just have never visited there and wish I could check it and the current POFQ out-like physically go there and walk through the places, then get a real comparison of how it would be to get to and from parks from both-to decide.

Thank you again! :-)

I don’t think we will do an ECV, as she doesn’t use a walker or anything, and, frankly, I think she has more energy than I do most of the time :-)—-but, yes, she does have trouble with walking with some foot and hip pain sometimes, and there’s a lot of walking at Disney parks!
I would very strongly suggest rethinking that. It’s got nothing to do with energy levels tbh, rather the sheer amount of walking involved in even a chill, non “go go go” type of vacation down there could turn “sometimes” pain into “all the time” pain. I hear this constantly from folks who have mobility issues and don’t use aids in their day to day life underestimating the parks and crying uncle by day 2 needing to rent scooters or wheelchairs at inflated Disney prices that they can only use at the parks, not their resort. I‘m not trying to tell you what to do but I think this is a mistake.

I would very strongly suggest rethinking that. It’s got nothing to do with energy levels tbh, rather the sheer amount of walking involved in even a chill, non “go go go” type of vacation down there could turn “sometimes” pain into “all the time” pain. I hear this constantly from folks who have mobility issues and don’t use aids in their day to day life underestimating the parks and crying uncle by day 2 needing to rent scooters or wheelchairs at inflated Disney prices that they can only use at the parks, not their resort. I‘m not trying to tell you what to do but I think this is a mistake.
Totally agree with Kylenne! I'm a big Disney fan, go 3-4 times a year. Daughter is a CM. Regarding ECV, I feel strongly. Normally, I'm okay walking, but the number of miles required at Disney parks is too much for me. An underrated killer is the STANDING. Ugh, my feet! A couple of years ago I was visiting with my family and found myself literally limping through DAK, moaning "Oh... my leg!" (which has become an inside joke with my family). Checked my phone later and found we'd walked 17 miles that day. No early entry, no extended evening, and we took a mid day break, but we did 17 miles. At that point I thought "I am XXX number of years old and I paid XXX number of dollars for this vacation and I am aching and in pain?" Never. Again. Since that time, I've rented an ECV from Scooterbug. Pick up and drop off at Disney resort front desk. Easy. Cost is $20/day. Cheap. I take it to the parks. If I want to walk around, I park it and walk around. I'm glad for a place to sit vs. stand while I'm waiting for family to ride thrill rides. The $20/day ECV has increased the value of my vacation one million percent. I can now go faster, and last longer, than any member of my family. Family no longer has to slow down for me. I no longer have to hear the words "Are you doing okay, mom?" (which makes me feel kind of embarrassed). Hallelujah! Best of all, there are ECVs all over the parks, being used by all walks of life. They are very fun to drive. Get your dad one too. He and your mom can race the rest of you around Epcot. They will have a blast leaving you in the dust. That's my personal #1 tip. Trust me, your mom will thank you. And if she doesn't use it, everyone else in your family will be glad to. If I ever leave mine for 2 seconds, someone else in my family hops on and drives off. My teens LOVE it. (And if your mom needs a restroom, she can zip right over to one very quickly on the ECV)

Budget and resorts.
Did I see that you're paying for a rental car? I forget why. I don't understand why anyone would need a rental car at Disney. Unless you have some massive need for that rental car, ditch that.

Resorts - I'd get 2 regular rooms at the Swan/Dolphin. Or 3 if it's in your budget - one for you and hubby, one for teens and one for your parents. Walkability (or in the case of ECV "rideability") to 2 parks is AMAZING and cannot be understated. Those teens can frolic off to to the park and back all day long. Great and plentiful food options at Dolphin including a great ice cream shop. Bus to MK/DAK is easy. Pricing is great.

My second choice of your 3 is POR / FQ. I love those resorts. They're just plain pretty. Bus from FQ is easy and quick.

My third choice is the suite at OKW. Here's why: Like you, I've been interested based on pricing for suites. However, my CM daughter and I drove over there one day to have a peek in case we ever wanted to book there. Ate at Olivia's. Nope. OKW was not for me (or her). It seemed really big and spread out. I know it has some fans, it just wasn't my thing.

SUITES - My thought on suites, from personal experience. Visited Halloween 2022 with a large extended family group for a 3 night trip. We booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Grand Floridian. It was an exceptional suite, honestly. But what happened in reality was that our 2 separate groups hung out in our 2 separate bedrooms and RARELY used the communal space. I mean, we love each other and everything, but after being together all day in the parks, we just wanted our own space. It was really cool, and I'm glad I tried it, but in the end, I decided that next time I'll just save a lot of money and do the 2 separate regular rooms and request connecting like I usually do.

Last edited:

There is so much going on and I'm exhausted just reading that.... Some things that stood out to me are;
-Go to a different resort than u have been to before (this way u can keep the memories seperate)
-Forget park hopping, it gets too crazy. I'd suggest for the family to concentrate on MK there is enough to do and expierence and u need to keep it simple. End the day together as a family huddled up in front of the castle. It really is magic.
-OKW will give u the best amount of precious space. U don't have much time to shop & meal prep so Olivia's restaurant is easier to get reservations than some of the other restaurants. Plus u can take a nice boat ride to Disney Springs
-your definately up against it because kids wanna go 100mph & ur folks will want to chill. somewhere along the line, someone is going to be upset. your prob better off trying to do less planning. The playbook is going to go out the window at some point so be prepared. Good Luck

Totally agree with Kylenne! I'm a big Disney fan, go 3-4 times a year. Daughter is a CM. Regarding ECV, I feel strongly. Normally, I'm okay walking, but the number of miles required at Disney parks is too much for me. An underrated killer is the STANDING. Ugh, my feet! A couple of years ago I was visiting with my family and found myself literally limping through DAK, moaning "Oh... my leg!" (which has become an inside joke with my family). Checked my phone later and found we'd walked 17 miles that day. No early entry, no extended evening, and we took a mid day break, but we did 17 miles. At that point I thought "I am XXX number of years old and I paid XXX number of dollars for this vacation and I am aching and in pain?" Never. Again. Since that time, I've rented an ECV from Scooterbug. Pick up and drop off at Disney resort front desk. Easy. Cost is $20/day. Cheap. I take it to the parks. If I want to walk around, I park it and walk around. I'm glad for a place to sit vs. stand while I'm waiting for family to ride thrill rides. The $20/day ECV has increased the value of my vacation one million percent. I can now go faster, and last longer, than any member of my family. Family no longer has to slow down for me. I no longer have to hear the words "Are you doing okay, mom?" (which makes me feel kind of embarrassed). Hallelujah! Best of all, there are ECVs all over the parks, being used by all walks of life. They are very fun to drive. Get your dad one too. He and your mom can race the rest of you around Epcot. They will have a blast leaving you in the dust. That's my personal #1 tip. Trust me, your mom will thank you. And if she doesn't use it, everyone else in your family will be glad to. If I ever leave mine for 2 seconds, someone else in my family hops on and drives off. My teens LOVE it. (And if your mom needs a restroom, she can zip right over to one very quickly on the ECV)

Budget and resorts.
Did I see that you're paying for a rental car? I forget why. I don't understand why anyone would need a rental car at Disney. Unless you have some massive need for that rental car, ditch that.

Resorts - I'd get 2 regular rooms at the Swan/Dolphin. Or 3 if it's in your budget - one for you and hubby, one for teens and one for your parents. Walkability (or in the case of ECV "rideability") to 2 parks is AMAZING and cannot be understated. Those teens can frolic off to to the park and back all day long. Great and plentiful food options at Dolphin including a great ice cream shop. Bus to MK/DAK is easy. Pricing is great.

My second choice of your 3 is POR / FQ. I love those resorts. They're just plain pretty. Bus from FQ is easy and quick.

My third choice is the suite at OKW. Here's why: Like you, I've been interested based on pricing for suites. However, my CM daughter and I drove over there one day to have a peek in case we ever wanted to book there. Ate at Olivia's. Nope. OKW was not for me (or her). It seemed really big and spread out. I know it has some fans, it just wasn't my thing.

SUITES - My thought on suites, from personal experience. Visited Halloween 2022 with a large extended family group for a 3 night trip. We booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Grand Floridian. It was an exceptional suite, honestly. But what happened in reality was that our 2 separate groups hung out in our 2 separate bedrooms and RARELY used the communal space. I mean, we love each other and everything, but after being together all day in the parks, we just wanted our own space. It was really cool, and I'm glad I tried it, but in the end, I decided that next time I'll just save a lot of money and do the 2 separate regular rooms and request connecting like I usually do.
Thank you for your advice!

Scooterbug allows you to pick up and drop off at the front desk; does that mean you keep it in the room? Do you think FQ would honor a first floor room request if we did that? Can we ride these into the elevator at Swan Reserve or Dolphin?

What do you think of the suites at Swan Reserve? I currently have a 2 Q w/ sofa bed and a 2 Q booked, but I'm told these can't connect. Changing that second room to a king w/ sofa bed would allow them to connect (no guarantee), but add to the cost. I can connect 2 a 2 doubles w/ a sofa bed in the living area to a 2 Q room (for my parents), but not guaranteed. The suites have a table with 4 chairs, a microwave and mini fridge, and a sitting area with floor to ceiling windows. I could also do 2 rooms with 2 Q beds in each. The regular 2 queen rooms are 330 square feet. The suites are 610 square feet.

I'd go to the Dolphin because it's more affordable and slightly closer for walking to the parks, but it has no availability for our second night. I had initially booked the first night in a doubles with sofa bed suite connected to a 2 queen room (25% off second room with guaranteed connecting rooms family rate), but I cancelled that because the reservations specialist charged the first night; I guess they have to for that deal. For my other Marriott reservations, I didn't have to pay anything to reserve as a Marriott Bonvoy member. I also wasn't seeing the second room listed on my confirmation, but I think it was there. I think that, if the Dolphin opens up for the second night, this might be the best idea, as, even with resort fees, it actually costs almost the same as the 2 connected rooms at FQ (but then we have to pay another $72 parking), but gives us more space, Extended Hours, and walkability to Epcot.

One thing I'm thinking after all I've learned about Disney is that I would like it if this was not our only trip there. I hope we do go back again and find a window in my daughter's busy summer competition and training schedule to enjoy it together again. I even am thinking of going with my younger two and parents again sometime, especially when it's known not to be busy.

Before getting into logistics I want to say I completely understand where you are coming from as I’m always second guessing myself when planning family trips especially when they are “the only one or last one”. That being said your super detailed anxiety post and replies gave my anxiety anxiety so I want to recommend you immediately
take several deep breaths (at least 20) and give you permission to give yourself a break.

NO resort, trip plan, itinerary is ever perfect regardless of how many people you travel with and each trip will be filled with their own special memories. So choose the resort that will make your family the happiest, do not try to recreate past memories or over plan bc it will definitely go off the rails.

My advice literally comes from changing rooms at least 10 times within a 12 month period for one trip that included 10-12 people. I still don’t know that I picked the right rooms or resort a year later but I simply don’t care. It was a good trip minus some bumps and bruises.

Examples, my Walmart order got cancelled so I had to go to Publix, it was relayed that my perfect plans suck bc everyone was hot, tired, hungry and Genie made them walk more. Yes it all happened and then some. I reacted poorly after the commentary but recovered only to have it all go south 30 mins later when we got back to the resort and quick service did not process our mobile order for whatever reason and we were told they were closing. So pizza delivery it was, then everyone was off to bed and we started fresh the next day.

I can’t and you can’t please everyone. So if it helps my trips are now based on familiarity regardless of who’s going and how many times they tell me it’ll be the only trip or last time for a while. If you know where you are going and how to get around it’s always so much easier when trying to navigate everyone.

Please if anything give yourself a break, planning a vacation (short/long) should not be this hard. Truly go with what makes you happy and expect mishaps and crankiness bc it’s going to happen. It’s what you do when they happen that matters.

Lastly, if you are contributing to the trip financially with no help from anyone then tell your husband no comments are allowed once the trip starts if he’s not willing to help plan. I know it sounds easier said than done but I knocked that crap out a couple of years ago and they were quickly reminded when I walked off for “a break” when their commentary started last year. Poor things had no idea where to go or what to do…

Best to you, I hope you have a wonderful trip

She also broke her foot last year and had surgery/has some trouble walking.
I second Kylenne’s suggestion. Seriously consider ECV. We like Gold but for short trips use Buena Vista since they have a daily rate (Gold is weekly). WDW is so much walking and standing. Nothing like daily life, especially day after day. It’s hard to enjoy the experience while trying to grin and bear it.
As we will have 3 park days, I’m debating cancelling our 2 room Port Orleans FQ ($1042 for 2 nights and 2 connected rooms-got 25% off deal) for a suite at the Swan Reserve w/maybe a 2 queen room at the Dolphin one night (I'd do 2, but the Dolphin has a conference and is booked the second night) using Marriott Bonvoy w/ AAA or Senior discounts-still will cost at least $1600 up to over $2000 to go this route-or Old Key West 2 bedroom Villa (actually less $ than SR with 2 rooms-$1521 through Undercover Tourist w/ free parking right at the Villa and no resort fee), but I think Genie + and maybe PH tickets are smartest
We fit 2 ECVs in our Port Orleans room with 4 ppl, still able to get around for the bathroom at night and get ready in the morning. Basically sleep and getting ready was the only time spent in room so it worked ok for us. We’ve also tried OKW and wowzer! Those 1 and 2BRS are humungous. OKW is great for being able to park right outside your room too. Both are lovely serene resorts. I’d say near even there but OKW rooms are much nicer.

Thank you for your advice!

Scooterbug allows you to pick up and drop off at the front desk; does that mean you keep it in the room? Do you think FQ would honor a first floor room request if we did that? Can we ride these into the elevator at Swan Reserve or Dolphin?

What do you think of the suites at Swan Reserve? I currently have a 2 Q w/ sofa bed and a 2 Q booked, but I'm told these can't connect. Changing that second room to a king w/ sofa bed would allow them to connect (no guarantee), but add to the cost. I can connect 2 a 2 doubles w/ a sofa bed in the living area to a 2 Q room (for my parents), but not guaranteed. The suites have a table with 4 chairs, a microwave and mini fridge, and a sitting area with floor to ceiling windows. I could also do 2 rooms with 2 Q beds in each. The regular 2 queen rooms are 330 square feet. The suites are 610 square feet.

I'd go to the Dolphin because it's more affordable and slightly closer for walking to the parks, but it has no availability for our second night. I had initially booked the first night in a doubles with sofa bed suite connected to a 2 queen room (25% off second room with guaranteed connecting rooms family rate), but I cancelled that because the reservations specialist charged the first night; I guess they have to for that deal. For my other Marriott reservations, I didn't have to pay anything to reserve as a Marriott Bonvoy member. I also wasn't seeing the second room listed on my confirmation, but I think it was there. I think that, if the Dolphin opens up for the second night, this might be the best idea, as, even with resort fees, it actually costs almost the same as the 2 connected rooms at FQ (but then we have to pay another $72 parking), but gives us more space, Extended Hours, and walkability to Epcot.

One thing I'm thinking after all I've learned about Disney is that I would like it if this was not our only trip there. I hope we do go back again and find a window in my daughter's busy summer competition and training schedule to enjoy it together again. I even am thinking of going with my younger two and parents again sometime, especially when it's known not to be busy.

Yes! Scooterbug allows you to pick up and drop off the ECV at the front desk. It's the only rental company does drop off/pickup at the front desk. I find it highly convenient, and for me, any ounce of convenience at WDW is worth its weight in gold - especially when "herding cats" aka doing a trip with extended family. I've heard great things about other ECV companies, but I dislike the added logistics of having to coordinate to meet for drop-off and pick-up, I always love my Scooterbug ECV's.

Yes! FQ will honor your request for 1st floor rooms, and yes, you can park your ECV in the room and still have room to get around it. Swan/Dolphin you can park it in the hallway and plug it in over night. I always do that, and so does everybody else. You just take the key into the room with you. People also park their big double strollers in the hallway.

Yes! Swan Reserve suites look nice and sound nice based on your description, but I've never been there, so can't give you any personal experience. If it saved me money or was comparable while staying in my budget, I'd probably do it. I'm a big one for calculating out dollars per square footage in hotel rooms, so I'm following your logic and think you have a good plan.

Connecting - I wouldn't worry about connecting rooms. For my annual extended family trips, we always request connecting. If they can't connect us, they usually put us on the same floor. Only 1 time were we put on 2 separate floors. At first we were like "oh bummer, we're not on the same floor" - but it didn't matter. We didn't care at all. As far as having connecting rooms... honestly, we don't take advantage of it. When we have connecting, we only very occasionally open up the connecting door. Mostly, we leave it closed. After being together in the parks all day, when we're at the resort we're usually suffering from "togetherness" fatigue and feel no real need to wander in and out of each others' rooms. Plus, we're usually showering, changing clothes, or sleeping and want some privacy.

In a way, it's nice NOT to have connecting, because it allows you to vent a little about your travelling companions without being overheard. Let's face it, there are days were you come back to your room and just want to say "Omg, can you believe so-and-so did such-and-such". Your husband might appreciate not being literally connected to his in-laws throughout the trip.

Unsolicited Advice - forgive me for adding unsolicited advice. I'm tacking this on because I do short 3 night extended family trips annually, have done for years. I'm the planner. I've learned to go by the edict of "no forced fun". I literally type up a general daily itinerary and hand it out. Everyone can join for everything, or pick and choose what events they want to skip. It works wonderfully. My husband in particular loves this "pick and choose" style of travel. He is not the biggest fan of the parks. If he wants to skip rope drop, fine. He can meet us for lunch or whatever. And that's another reason I prefer to stay at the MK resorts or the Crescent Lake resorts. It's easy for the group to split up and get back together at will. I'm sure you could do this if you stayed at POFQ as well, but I think it might be easier if your home base is in walking distance to the parks.

Your next trip. Do it and leave hubby at home! My DH is thrilled to go to WDW once per year. Beyond that, he's fine to stay home while kids and I go for a few days. We have a blast, he has a blast, all good.

I second this. I’m a senior with no mobility issues, and after walking 15000 steps on first day of our December weekend trip, I rented a scooter for the last 2 days. So much better.

Do you think FQ would honor a first floor room request if we did that?

Yes! FQ will honor your request for 1st floor rooms,

Just to help with expectations… WDW will try to grant a request for a 1st floor room at any resort, but it is just a request and they cannot always grant it. All buildings at POFQ have elevators and an ECV will fit in the elevator and any resort room. On a related note - only a couple of buildings at OKW have elevators and the only way to maybe guarantee first floor is booking an accessible room (maybe because it could still be second floor of a building with an elevator).

Before getting into logistics I want to say I completely understand where you are coming from as I’m always second guessing myself when planning family trips especially when they are “the only one or last one”. That being said your super detailed anxiety post and replies gave my anxiety anxiety so I want to recommend you immediately
take several deep breaths (at least 20) and give you permission to give yourself a break.

NO resort, trip plan, itinerary is ever perfect regardless of how many people you travel with and each trip will be filled with their own special memories. So choose the resort that will make your family the happiest, do not try to recreate past memories or over plan bc it will definitely go off the rails.

My advice literally comes from changing rooms at least 10 times within a 12 month period for one trip that included 10-12 people. I still don’t know that I picked the right rooms or resort a year later but I simply don’t care. It was a good trip minus some bumps and bruises.

Examples, my Walmart order got cancelled so I had to go to Publix, it was relayed that my perfect plans suck bc everyone was hot, tired, hungry and Genie made them walk more. Yes it all happened and then some. I reacted poorly after the commentary but recovered only to have it all go south 30 mins later when we got back to the resort and quick service did not process our mobile order for whatever reason and we were told they were closing. So pizza delivery it was, then everyone was off to bed and we started fresh the next day.

I can’t and you can’t please everyone. So if it helps my trips are now based on familiarity regardless of who’s going and how many times they tell me it’ll be the only trip or last time for a while. If you know where you are going and how to get around it’s always so much easier when trying to navigate everyone.

Please if anything give yourself a break, planning a vacation (short/long) should not be this hard. Truly go with what makes you happy and expect mishaps and crankiness bc it’s going to happen. It’s what you do when they happen that matters.

Lastly, if you are contributing to the trip financially with no help from anyone then tell your husband no comments are allowed once the trip starts if he’s not willing to help plan. I know it sounds easier said than done but I knocked that crap out a couple of years ago and they were quickly reminded when I walked off for “a break” when their commentary started last year. Poor things had no idea where to go or what to do…

Best to you, I hope you have a wonderful trip
Thank you! I know my post is chock-full of anxiety. I think it’s about more than planning this trip to Disney, which turned out to be so much more complex and challenging than I had anticipated.
It’s not really about Mickey Mouse. It’s more about how much I love my family and want to make this precious time as good as possible for everyone-and not mess it all up or be wasteful with our finances.

We’ve had a few rather sudden deaths in my extended family this year, my oldest child is graduating next year, and time is precious.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter