What to Drink That Isn't SUGAR?

I’ll second do not ask for any beverage not on their menu at any bar except maybe Napa Rose. Felt like a martini and ordered a martini very dry at Lamplighter, which advertises a full bar. Received what was best described as olive jar juice with a dash of vodka. Both the server and bartender had never heard of the term “dry martini“. A manager came over after their second attempt (a glass of only vermouth) failed, profusely apologized, and explained that while they have a full bar and can make any drink… they’re not used to making things other than the specials on the flip cards on the tables.

We thanked them for the cup of warm vodka in a glass, paid the $28 tab for the one drink, and left.

We’d love to see some sugar free power aid or Gatorade in the parks. Helps to stay hydrated on hot days.
Wow. That’s embarrassing. Why say you have a full bar if no one can make drinks other that what they have on their menu? Lol.

We stopped going to Lamplight lounge after 3 bad experiences. 2 being service related and one being food and service related.

Last edited:
We stopped going to Lamplight lounge after 3 bad experiences. 2 being service related and one being food and service related.

How disappointing. I was going to try to get a walk up as a single person during my trip. I really only wanted to see the cool interior and to get a drink. That makes me want to rethink that idea.

I don't drink sugary drinks and I pretty much just have water at the parks. Maybe there's unsweetened iced tea somewhere?
The only thing I have found to drink is at all the Starbucks that isn't water is the iced coffee with sugar free vanilla and heavy cream.

I sometimes bring a sugar free sweetener that is flavored, for example, the ones by Jordan's Skinny Syrup. They make squeezable bottles with flavors for water, seltzer water, coffee, tea, etc. Perhaps you can get something similar to add to your beverage.

What else would you drink outside of the park that isn't sugary? Or rather, what is it that you are looking for?
I realize that this question wasn't directed to me ... will you (plural, all) be patient with a creative reply?

Outside my home, I am pretty much resigned to "water, black coffee, herbal tea" with the very infrequent beer. But at home I thrill to fresh veggie juice! So much so that my very first juicing machine is "retired to Florida" (sitting in my Owner's Locker somewhere greater Orlando) so that we could juice from our DVC kitchen.

Often we'll bring one of our current juicing machines to local "drive-to" destinations so that we can top off with fresh nutrition while on vacation. (Timeshares are great -- I love having a kitchen.)

Favorite recipes by color:
  • Orange/Red: Carrot, Beet, Turmeric, Ginger
  • Green: Romaine Lettuce, Cucumber (mostly peeled), Dandelion Leaves/Stems, Celery, Green Beans/String Beans, Ginger
  • DARK Green: Basic Green above with Beet Leaves, Swiss Chard, other dark leafy greens or even the cucumber skin if it isn't wax coated. Might need extra ginger to overcome the "very dark green" flavor if you aren't used to it?
While I mostly stick with veggie juice ... I am reminded that straight-up, fresh pineapple would also be yummy if offered? (Any chance the pineapple at Tropical Hideaway is fresh ... not syrup?)

Oh! we sometimes also pack small cartons of Coconut Water. (Not offered in the parks that I'm aware ... but would be a great idea, right?)

Last edited:

Don't ask for a non-menu drink at the Magic Key Terrace. My sister wanted a spiked cocoa and I asked for a coffee drink. they didn't have anything to put in either, so we suggested a few things. Maybe Bailey's? etc. So they said sure, we can fix something up.

They were the WORST tasting drinks I've ever had in my life, and they charged us for a coffee, a cocoa, PLUS an entire cocktail each.
Good heavens, how does one screw up putting liqueur in hot cocoa? I do that fairly often with amaretto or Kahlua, and occasionally with Bailey's. They're delicious!

I’ll second do not ask for any beverage not on their menu at any bar except maybe Napa Rose. Felt like a martini and ordered a martini very dry at Lamplighter, which advertises a full bar. Received what was best described as olive jar juice with a dash of vodka. Both the server and bartender had never heard of the term “dry martini“. A manager came over after their second attempt (a glass of only vermouth) failed, profusely apologized, and explained that while they have a full bar and can make any drink… they’re not used to making things other than the specials on the flip cards on the tables.

We thanked them for the cup of warm vodka in a glass, paid the $28 tab for the one drink, and left.

We’d love to see some sugar free power aid or Gatorade in the parks. Helps to stay hydrated on hot days.
Yes!!! They told us they were a full service bar, but the 2 waiters (original and guy he called over to help him) had no idea what drinks could be made with hot coffee (Irish coffee, Bailey's and coffee, etc left them looking puzzled), or a cocoa with peppermint Schnapps (Snuggler, I think). What they brought us was almost indescribably terrible and I'm not sure what it was, but they looked so pleased that we didn't have the heart to say anything bad.

The charge for those 2 drinks that their "full bar" came up with was astronomical, LOL. They cost more than our dinner!

I realize that this question wasn't directed to me ... will you (plural, all) be patient with a creative reply?

Outside my home, I am pretty much resigned to "water, black coffee, herbal tea" with the very infrequent beer. But at home I thrill to fresh veggie juice! So much so that my very first juicing machine is "retired to Florida" (sitting in my Owner's Locker somewhere greater Orlando) so that we could juice from our DVC kitchen.

Often we'll bring one of our current juicing machines to local "drive-to" destinations so that we can top off with fresh nutrition while on vacation. (Timeshares are great -- I love having a kitchen.)

Favorite recipes by color:
  • Orange/Red: Carrot, Beet, Turmeric, Ginger
  • Green: Romaine Lettuce, Cucumber (mostly peeled), Dandelion Leaves/Stems, Celery, Green Beans/String Beans, Ginger
  • DARK Green: Basic Green above with Beet Leaves, Swiss Chard, other dark leafy greens or even the cucumber skin if it isn't wax coated. Might need extra ginger to overcome the "very dark green" flavor if you aren't used to it?
While I mostly stick with veggie juice ... I am reminded that straight-up, fresh pineapple would also be yummy if offered? (Any chance the pineapple at Tropical Hideaway is fresh ... not syrup?)

Oh! we sometimes also pack small cartons of Coconut Water. (Not offered in the parks that I'm aware ... but would be a great idea, right?)

There is a Jamba in DTD. Perhaps that would work for you.

Yep. I’m diabetic and have resigned myself to the fact that I’m not drinking anything interesting at Disneyland.

Now several of the chain restaurants in the surrounding area have options. But they’ll be the same as in those same restaurants wherever you’re from.
I Fullerton, they have the best (in my humble opinion) of sugar free chocolate and other goodies. Choc Zero is the name of the company. If you google them, you can order online. After $40 I think, you get free shipping. Many people on Keto/low card get their sweet fix from them. ketotwins code will get you 10% off your order.

I end up buying water and milk at most places. Some of the stands have coconut water. I'll also get a vitamin water (usually at a popcorn cart), but those do have sugar in them - just not as ridiculous as the fountain drinks.

Here is favorite of mine. You order a lemonade and a plain soda and ask for an extra glass with ice. Pour about an ounce or two of the lemonade in the glass and fill to the top with soda. Lemonade spritzer! Taste great especially on hot days. You can use low-cal lemonade if you must, but I prefer regular and mixed in this concentration it is only perhaps 30 or 40 calories.

The half lemonade, half soda is a great idea!

You might try the iced green tea at Starbucks (which is Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe on Buena Vista Street in DCA, Market House on Main Street in DL, and also one in DTD). It doesn't have a strong green tea flavor because it's actually what used to be Teavana's Jade Citrus Mint tea, which has "notes of spearmint, lemongrass, and lemon verbena." None of those flavors are very strong at all; it's not like you're drinking a mint tea, it's just an undertone. A lot of people get it with lemonade, but I don't.

I often start refilling mine with sparkling water or soda as it gets about half empty to make it last longer.

They also have an iced peach green tea, but the peach has sugar in it. It's the iced green tea with whatever they use for peach flavoring.

Note that the iced green tea is NOT the same tea that you would get if you ordered a hot green tea, which tastes more like a traditional green tea, although I believe it's also a Teavana blend of some sort.

Starbucks also has a iced black tea and an Iced Passion Tango herbal tea, neither one of which I'm all that fond of, but others may be.

I don't like sugary drinks. I drink water and definitely get a Trenta black tea (no sweetener) from Market House or Fiddler, Fifer, Practical.

The drinks tend to run too sweet for us too. I like to get cups of ice water and extra cups and dilute, which also saves us money and we can have 2-3 drinks instead of 1. At the soda fountains or freestyle machines, I’ll dilute with plain or sparkling water.

Most locations have unsweetened ice tea, which I love. You can mix with lemonade at any place you fill your own drinks if you lik an arnold palmer. Topo Chico (lime) is also available around toon town and I swear I’ve seen it in DCA near the wharf. Also the Diet Coke just hits differently at Disney!?! I crave it, lol. I also carry electrolyte packets on hot days.

I personally don’t like being weighed down with too much (drinkable) sugar or booze at disney (save that for a churro!), but I do really enjoy the no-jito that can be found at just about any sit down and craftsman lounge. While it has simple syrup in it it isn’t overly sweet and quite refreshing. I was at WDW while doing dry January and was super impressed with how they have upped their mocktail game, and not just riffs on a sugary slushy - I hope that translates to DLR too!

I'm not a sugar free person nor do I like soda so choices are slim... I mostly stick with water, iced tea (unsweetened), or hot tea if its winter time. The sweetest drink I can take is Starbucks' matcha and the drinks at Trader Sam's but those are a treat, not a drink IMO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter