• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to see at AK on a leisurely stroll without worrying about rides?

I think this is the best park for just looking around and exploring-all the animal trails in the Oasis, Discovery Island, Gorilla Falls and Maharajah Jungle Trek are great areas to just see the animals. My 6 year old grandson loved the free Wilderness Explorer activities and the Boneyard play area. We loved the Hakuna Matata dance party in Discovery Island. We also enjoyed the acrobats and drummers in Africa. The Lion King show and the Finding Nemo show are both really good productions, and not hard to see with no fast passes.

Agree with much of the above. Would also add the parrot show at the entrance, they are incredible. We have also enjoyed the paths right around the Tree itself, seeing some of the aquatic exhibits underneath and looking at all of the carvings in the tree itself. And always hit up the characters, we had some of our best meet and greets at AK (Baloo and King Louie), especially when they have time to play with the kids

You can get a fastpass to meet mickey and minnie. The kids might like to see the baby gorilla and the other gorillas. One if them probably will do something amusing while you watch.

We have an extra day on our trip (hitting MK and HS) where my wife has to be at a conference, so I thought I would take the kids to AK myself (is this crazy?) They're 11, 8, and 5. Since I'm by myself, we're not going to worry about hitting most of the rides - the older boy may do EE by himself, and we'll probably do Na'vi and Kilimanjaro, but mostly we want to just look around, do the walking tours, etc.

What do you recommend/rank as far as shows, tours, non-ride things to do?

We had fastpasses for FoP and Kilimanjaro Safari, during our recent trip to AK. The lines for other attractions were crazy long so we chose to skip them. We decided to try the Wilderness Explorers and had a blast. We met CM's from other countries, learned a bit more about animals and their environment as we earned our badges. Best part? It took the crowds out of our vacation and we actually saw more of the park, rather than focusing strictly on the next attraction. Wilderness Explorers is free, but you do have to go through an "initiation" and make your best impersonation of your favorite animal.

I guess I'm sort of confused why you think this is crazy or why you wouldn't be able to do rides, especially since your youngest is 5 so won't be height-restricted out of much. I've solo parented my kids for entire Disney trips--we had a great time, but they probably would have murdered me if I told them no rides!

Don't forget about the carnival in Dino land. It is sort of basic, but fun for kids.

I was thinking the same thing. My three kids are younger, but if I told them we were just going to walk around AK and not ride rides, they would disown me.

Our favorites are Lion King, Nemo, Bugs, UP - in that order. If you stay at night the projections on the tree are more entertaining than Rivers of Light (IMHO).

AK is great to wander more than do! Definitely plan the FOTLK show - that's a do not miss. Animal trails are good. I'd consider the Animation Experience - I think even a 5 yo would like that. It was more fun than I expected. So - beyond the Navi and Safari FP's - don't worry about too much pre-planning.

I am surprised no one has mentioned or suggested to look for Ivy (DiVine). Your kids will have a blast if she is out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter