What would make the DIS the best Disneyland Site? looking for your suggestions

Tink33

Disneyland Parade High Kicker
At least once a month, someone asks the best website for planning a trip to the Disneyland Resort.

What can we do to make THIS board the best for trip planning?

What types of things would YOU like to see on the DIS regarding Disneyland/DCA/Downtown Disney?

Please share your ideas here on send me a pm. Thank You in advance.

Maybe split it up like the Dis' WDW part of the site.
DL Theme Parks
DL Hotel
Offsite Hotel

One of my favorite sites is Mouse Planet, I think because I used it when I planned a GC trip and they seemed to have the best photo collection of GC and also the most comprehensive menu collection.

You know Tink, I will be honest with you, my favorite DISNEYLAND board is Laughing Place. They seem to have several regulars who help out all posters with various points of view as well as many frequent DL visitors. And they are from all walks of life: young families with small kids, DINKS, middle aged moms with teens, older women who love to travel and a sweet handicapped woman with a great sense of humor who posts quite a bit. Here, there are only a few mods on the DL boards that consistantly address all questions. I admit, the same issues appear over and over but that is the nature of these types of forums. Also, for many months the inquiries on this board were few and far between and that makes it tough to have an ongoing, lively, fun board with few participants. And so many promised to write trip reports and did not:rolleyes: Maybe starting topics everyday would help. It might help to have current links to menus in DL/DCA & DTD - a lot of work, I am sure. Maybe a section on hotels/motels. We all have our favorites and not so favorites and pipe up when we see them questioned. We should try to keep the interested folks posting (like me:D ). I try to answer when I can, but it is true that the DL section here is not terribly popular. I love the DIS boards and faithfully check the DL section regularly. Good luck. I will help in any way I can.
Linda

I agree with all of the suggestions already mentioned. As a frequent visitor of DL, I try and remember questions from here and look out for things when I go. It's kind of funny to me that I seem to know WDW so much better than I do my home resort of DL (and I have only been to WDW twice). Most of my knowledge from WDW has come from posters on the DIS boards, and I think we need to get more people posting here as lulubelle said. I used to come here every couple of weeks just to see if anything interesting was going on, and sometimes, there would still be the same threads on the first page!! We need more reviews, more trip reports and definately better information on restaurants and hotels. I know a lot of that information needs to come from all of us, so if we can be of some help in anyway, let us know!!

There are so many resorts that are not Disney that there needs to be more info on them. Might as well include restaurants, too.

There are so many other side trips like San Diego and their attractions, as well as, Knotts, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Universal Hollywood that some coverage needs to be placed on non-Disney destinations near by.

I'm taking a trip there in June. It's been over twenty years since I last visited the area. I have to say I'm doing it partially because of the 50th celebration to come. This trip is to get a feel for the layout and the next will be to see the celebration. So, of course more info on the celebration would be nice as time nears for it.

I'm taking a cruise from LA on this trip. There are plenty of offerings in this category that it might be nice to have a forum for it. Obviously, Disney is thinking about it with their new trips there coming with the celebration.

Now, I'm not sure I would be as interested if it hadn't been for the celebration coming but even if it's only for the next two years that it holds good interest that's still a long time.

My family will soon be visiting DL and I seem to be one of these planning obsessed people and I've found that I've had to visit other sites because there just doesn't seem to be enough DL info for me. I would love to see more food & hotel reviews & trip reports...of course you can't force people to write trip reports :( I'll make sure to write one once we return.

Those are my suggestions:D

I'm very new on this board. I was actually directed here by a kind soul on another board I belong to ( not Disney related).

While the information and effort put into DIS is wonderful and the result of some hard work, by many people, to be honest I was a bit disappointed at the lack of Disneyland specific information/boards here. Maybe that is as designed, or perhaps that's what came about due to more interest in WDW. Since I am in California, 95% of my interest in Disney is focused on the California parks & resort.

It would be very nice to see the Disneyland section better organized into areas of interest such as:

Disneyland Resort Hotels
Off-site hotels
Disneyland restaurants
Disneyland
Disney California Adventure
Trip Planning ( specific to Disney in California)
Trip reports
Disney news & rumors

IMHO, trip reports are great. They really help the planning process and help to keep the spark alive. However, I have read some trip reports that are painfully over-detailed; none of which were written about DL or CA.
Everyone has a different writing style, eye for detail, etc. But I don't need to know that the reporter had two cups of coffee in her hotel room before going down to breakfast and how many steps it was from her hotel room to the elevator. I also don't need to know how long it takes each elevator to arrive. ( None of these were in any of the reports I read, they are only being used as an example)

I have also not seen very frequent participation on the Disneyland board. Some topics go for days without answers, etc. To the casual observer this is a sign of a pretty inactive community and may cause one to move on. Let's get some topics going. Moderators, I've seen some great stuff contributed by you. Just because a topic was covered 6 months ago doesn't mean a newbie to the board is going to search for that topic and read old threads. Disney is an evolving entity and fresh, up to date information is always appreciated.

If I am able to help out here in any way, please, please let me know as I am ready, willing and able to do so.

Thank you so much for your honest replies and great suggestions.

I would love to see the Disneyland Board divided into sections. Until we have the traffic (and webmaster permission) to support multiple boards, maybe we can modify the plan a bit for now. How about a FAQ thread for each of the Disneyland Resort and Good Neighbor Hotels. We can place a post that remains at the top of this board with links to all the Hotel FAQs. We will include general information, photos, restaurant menus and reviews for each hotel.

I would also like to see current menus for each restaurant at the Disneyland Resort. I know this is currently in the works.

Something I have thought about doing for awhile is a weekly feature called Day Trips. I am a Southern California native and have experienced so many great adventures in California. I am not a great writer, but I am a super researcher. I hope to feature an area and then have everyone give their reviews too.

I would LOVE to have some Disneyland Resort CMs visit this board on a regular basis. If you know anyone that works at the resort, please send them a link. If not, I will be forced to recruit on my next trip to Disneyland. ;) Did I ever mention how persuasive I can be?

Please keep those suggestions coming.

<font color=navy>Hey, I can vouch for Tink 33's persuasiveness. :)

There is a link at the top that includes hotels, etc., but maybe we can put separate links for each?

I just took pics & got copies for a couple of restaurants (Tortilla Jos', etc.), and maybe we can start with the ones we already have?

Originally posted by Tink33

We can place a post that remains at the top of this board with links to all the Hotel FAQs. We will include general information, photos, restaurant menus and reviews for each hotel.

Tink33, that would be awesome. I think a lot of people would really appreciate the FAQ's that are specific in that manner. I know I would. It would also prevent a lot of rehashing of information and could be updated as things change.

Now, what can be done to increase traffic through here? As I pointed out, I was directed here via word of mouth on another un-Disney related board. That's a great way to generate some traffic. What about registering with the different search engines; Google, et al...?

Originally posted by Mary Jo
<font color=navy>Hey, I can vouch for Tink 33's persuasiveness. :)

There is a link at the top that includes hotels, etc., but maybe we can put separate links for each?

I just took pics & got copies for a couple of restaurants (Tortilla Jos', etc.), and maybe we can start with the ones we already have?
Yes, breaking the hotel properties out into their own FAQ's would make it much easier for those who are thirsty for information to find it. Pictures are worth a thousand words, excuse the cliche. I know I always appreciate seeing pictures of hotels, rooms, attractions, etc.

everything that the site has for DCL, WDW, etc
already... pics, hotel info... everything!
I have tons of pictures in my archives if you'd
like help with those, PM me!

I also have up to date maps (as of a month ago)
I could scan for you!

And I used to live in the area, so hotel information
I can help with too!

I would break it up something like:

Disneyland Park
California Adventure Park
Accomodations and Dining
Trip Planning
Budget(ing)
Other attractions in DL area
Trip Reports

I can't wait to see what it will look like!:Pinkbounc

Thanks for a great discussion board!!princess:

One idea... see if the DISboards home page can be a little more DL friendly. Right now everything on there is geared towards WDW. When I bring up the DIS I always see articles about the latest WDW packages, or Special Weekends (like Star Wars, which is on the home page right now). Right now the only thing on there that's even remotely DL is an article about DCL coming to the West Coast for the 50th, and that's really more of DCL article with just a slight DL twist to it.

I really like the idea of a hotel FAQ. Maybe seperate boards for DL hotels, restaurants, the parks, and maybe even a USH board.

Also, is there any way to promote DLR a little more on the DIS? maybe let people know that this board is out there? I think a lot of DISers would be interested if they can start to learn that DLR is more than just a mini WDW. I saw a post not too long ago where someone on the Parks Board said something along the lines of "I'll never go to DL as long as I can go to WDW". Another poster once said, when the question was asked about how many times people had been to any Disney park, that she had been to DL many times, but "that didn't count".

I saw a post not too long ago where someone on the Parks Board said something along the lines of "I'll never go to DL as long as I can go to WDW". Another poster once said, when the question was asked about how many times people had been to any Disney park, that she had been to DL many times, but "that didn't count".
Some people :rolleyes:

Some people
The point I was trying to make is that there is a bias against DL on the DIS that needs to somehow change before the DIS can ever even think of becoming as DL friendly as some of the other sites out there. The question is... how?

I try to promote DL as much as I can, but it's not easy. I posted to a thread once where the OP was lamenting that she and her family had never been to WDW and didn't see how they could afford it anytime soon. I suggested DLR with it's lower cost Park Hopper's, inexpensive off site hotels within walking distance, and the ability to take a shorter trip and see everything in less than a week. The thread continued and went for a few pages, with not a single post supporting my idea. I might as well have not posted at all. It's a shame that some people on the DIS get such WDW tunnel vision that they can't see the gem they have in Anaheim.

Originally posted by Grog
The point I was trying to make is that there is a bias against DL on the DIS that needs to somehow change before the DIS can ever even think of becoming as DL friendly as some of the other sites out there. The question is... how?

I try to promote DL as much as I can, but it's not easy. I posted to a thread once where the OP was lamenting that she and her family had never been to WDW and didn't see how they could afford it anytime soon. I suggested DLR with it's lower cost Park Hopper's, inexpensive off site hotels within walking distance, and the ability to take a shorter trip and see everything in less than a week. The thread continued and went for a few pages, with not a single post supporting my idea. I might as well have not posted at all. It's a shame that some people on the DIS get such WDW tunnel vision that they can't see the gem they have in Anaheim.
Grog - I agree. I have never had the priviledge of going to WDW and grew up making a trip every few years to DL because we were growing up in CA. Now, maybe that makes me a bit naive as far as WDW and all it has to offer, dunno. I like DL and have had the joy of introducing it to my kids and seeing the smiles on their faces when we announce the summer road trip. To me, that's what it's all about.

The DIS boards are very WDW heavy. The DL board is waaay down the page and it just seems there isn't much here for DL fans. I know the powers that be are trying to gather info on beefing the DL sections up, but the traffic needs to be here to support it. I really like these boards and find myself cruising through them frequently. It would be nice to see them get some DL content here that would apply to everyone. There are so many Disney boards out there, but IMHO a lot of them only appeal to the Mouse Counters; those people who can tell you how many steps it is from POTC to ToonTown and how many hidden Mickey's you'll see on the way. That's all fine and good, but practical information is good too. ::MickeyMo

Here's hoping that DL will get much better representation on these boards.

Diggdug

Diggdugg and Grog, I couldn't have said it better myself. :D I think that one of the key components to attracting more DLR traffic to the DIS is to have it better represented right up front on the home page. I've been a huge fan of the DIS for several years now and have enjoyed the wealth of available WDW info when planning my trips. However, when I started planning for this fall's DLR trip, I couldn't even remember if there WAS a DL page on these boards until I checked--that's how small and unassuming it's been. Maybe there's not an enthusiastic DL fan among the "powers that be" that maintain the home page?? Just a thought...

I also agree that multiple DL boards with fresh, updated, practical info would be great! (Frankly, I've had to turn to laughingplace so far for most of that.) It seems to be a bit of a vicious circle, though. The DIS can't/won't expand the DL boards until the traffic increases, but how can traffic be attracted/increased unless the DL boards expand? :confused:

Re: the general public's attitude toward DL--an observation I've made is that DLR has been made to play second fiddle to WDW for quite some time. Take a look at the lopsided advertising on TV, in magazines, in stores, in sweepstakes, etc. ( And you KNOW where all of the football players go after they win the big game. ;) ) Not that all of the WDW hype is bad or anything, but it's bound to affect the way people look at DLR in comparison.

Sorry so lengthy--guess I had more to say than I realized! lol :tongue:

I think it comes with the territory on what the site mainly focuses on. I read 2 boards pretty faithfully-

LaughingPlace.com is a DL orianted board where the DL sections are as active as the WDW ones here and our WDW ones are as quiet as the DL one here. Until recently LP was based out of CA so 99.9% of the happenings were about DL and California events. Very little coverage of WDW so people looking for very current info wernt flockin to LP wheras they had current info for DL and if something happened there itd be known very rapidly-

This board seems to be the exact opposite- The majority of the coverage is WDW/Cruise based and so the majority of the postings is WDW based. If something happens there Id come here first as more people are located there-

I think thats why I love both boards- I get my West Coast info from LP and keep up with the details there and I get my East Coast info here and keep up with the details there :) I dont think until ya get pretty much equal coverage (DL/WDW) and a larger fan base for DL it'll equal out the WDW base here- But Ill still Love it :)

-em

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter