What's banned at your home?

All I can think of is smoking in general. I have yet to have someone who smokes weed but that one is one I would have to say you need to do that elsewhere, I'm just quite sensitive to it. For cigarette smoke I'm also sensitive to it but less so than weed. For cigarette smoke you would need to do it outside, the only issue we have is people who smoke but then rush right in and their clothes stink so badly, I have had to move from a different spot sometimes when my sister-in-law and her boyfriend come back inside, it's just too strong just after they have smoked. But I don't think they have smoked at our house (generally they don't come over to other people's homes much with exception to her mom and dad's), so mostly I'm just talking about in general with them like going out to eat, etc.

I actually still have ash trays when my family came over to Christmas the first year we were in this house in 2014 but that's the last time I really had heavy smokers near my house. And honestly I think with my family they generally waited a tad before coming back inside just in general so the smoke wasn't so strong, maybe that's why I react so strongly to my sister-in-law, I'm used to people understanding how the smell is and waiting a tad for some of it to dissipate.

I have no idea if some of these are said in jest but some of you sound really controlling.
I get certain things but some of the things here explain alot.

I don’t really have to ban anything, nobody that comes into my home uses illegal substances or smokes, those would be the only things I wouldn’t allow.
I don’t try to control what other people talk about or watch or eat.
I think you're taking the word "ban" a lot more seriously than most of us. Trust me, none of us have signs on our door saying these things are banned from entry. Because most of us consider our home our safe place (and the one place we get to control) we don't want certain things - things we find offensive, things we are allergic to, and sometimes even things we just don't like - in our homes. I don't see the harm.

In your home? I've heard of avoiding those subjects at work, but my gosh, if not your home then where?

Have we abandoned any semblance of civil discourse and are so over-sensitive to disagreement that we can't even discuss religion and politics among the members of our own home?
yes, I think we have. I do know people who I refuse to engage in discussions regarding politics and religion bc they are so close minded (from both sides) but I do have a few people that we can talk about both topics even tho we have totally opposite views, and there are maybe a couple of specific things that she feels very strongly about so we generally change the subject. It's not that we can't talk about them, it's that she's very passionate and kind of dramatic and my feelings of "meh" make her mad.

Really the only thing I have is smoking. Outside is fine. I prefer to not allow drama into my house but it's hard to ban that lol.

Would it impress you to hear that Caillou grew up, figured his **** out and is now the several-time World Curling Champion, representing Canada?
No.

Canada has a stain upon it until the Prime Minister publicly apologizes, takes the citizenship away from the creators and producers, and offers monetary restitution to those affected. :duck:

Last edited:
People . . .

I am deeply introverted and my home is my quiet sanctuary. The only people allowed to disturb my serenity without a specific invitation are my sister and BIL (my sister and I own the house jointly, so I couldn’t really ban her, but we get along great and I don’t want to anyway). I am not anti social, and I have friends. I just need to know I can relax at home in peace.

Anyone else knows to call ahead to see if I want a visitor. I prefer going out with friends to having them in my home, or even asking me to visit their homes. When I go out with friends, I usually drive myself and I can leave if it gets overwhelming. If there is a random knock or doorbell ring, it will be ignored (after peeking through the door to see who it is). I am not a party person at all.

Smoking would have to be banned because I am very allergic to it. My dad had to quit when I was very young due to my allergies and no one has smoked in any of the homes I have lived in since then. Anything illegal would also be banned.

Lilies in bouquets are not allowed inside, and I weed whack the ones growing in our yard so they never flower. I hate them because they smell bad and kill cats. Even getting pollen on their nose from a curious sniff can result in an emergency vet visit. Lily-free bouquets go on a counter my cats can't reach, because I can't research the safety of every flower.

Pets. My aunt is not a pet person at all, whereas I would love to have one, probably a cat. But pets are verboten. Everything else is pretty much on the table.

No smoking cigarettes inside or out- pot smoking is ok outside but not inside.

Please keep your shoes on in my house- I don't want anyones bare feet walking around inside my house.

Other than that I don't care- watch what you want on TV, Listen to what you want, eat what you want- I don't eat meat but certainly not keeping anyone else from eating what they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter