What's Cooking - The Recipe Exchange

ROASTED GARLIC BREAD

Excuse me while I drool! That sounds good. Though I'll probably use Peccorino Romano when I try it. We've usually got it around instead of parm.

Go ahead, dunk the pepper sandwich in the beans, it's ok! This is definitely peasant food and meant to be enjoyed. :goodvibes

That sounds good, too! I'll have to keep this one in mind for a night when Scott's off doing something. He's not a big fan of beans, but this sounds too delicious not to try. And it sounds like a great excuse to open (and finish) a bottle of wine. <EG>

Sometimes the simple "peasant" dishes are the most satisfying.

Excuse me while I drool! That sounds good. Though I'll probably use Peccorino Romano when I try it. We've usually got it around instead of parm.

Although there is a little bit of work involved to make it, the extra can be frozen and I find it more appetizing than the flourescent yellow goo with flakes of green that they call garlic spread!!!! Yes Romano works well in it as well!!

Although there is a little bit of work involved to make it, the extra can be frozen and I find it more appetizing than the flourescent yellow goo with flakes of green that they call garlic spread!!!! Yes Romano works well in it as well!!

I've never even tried that "garlic spread". It's always just been too easy to mince garlic, throw it into a pot melt butter over it and dip bread slices into it. That's what we usually do. Your recipe sounds like a nice change from our "normal" garlic bread.

Okay, we've got some over-ripe bananas that are ready for baking, so I went to find the banana cake recipe in the database, but paused on this one. I think I'll make up a batch tonight! :woohoo:

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups Flour
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Sugar
1 cup, Shortening (soft)
1 cup Banana (mashed) (I usually just do two bananas)
2 cup Oatmeal
2 Eggs

Instructions
Sift together flour, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and soda. Set aside while creaming together margarine, sugar, eggs, and bananas. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in oatmeal. Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

These aren't "fancy" or "pretty" cookies by any stretch of the imagination, but they're easy, tasty, and a great comforting snack for a quiet evening at home.

I am posting this recipe, as a good karma good luck to myself. I have an interview tomorrow at the company I got this recipe from. I am interviewing for a managment position that I am well qualified for. I am a foodie, and would love to land this job to be back in the food industry. I've had a bunch of interviews/posiibilities really go south lately, and I'm not feeling all that good about it. Anyway enough about me.

Every time I make this, I double the recipe - it's that good. It stays for about a week in the fridge. It is always a hit. And it is decedant, rich and super easy to make. I serve it with pound cake, lady fingers, biscotti and 'nilla wafers.

Tiramisu Dip

Ingredients:
8 oz. Mascarpone
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. instant espresso coffee
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 Tbsp. grated semisweet chocolate
assorted biscotti, pound cake, lady fingers, biscotti, 'nilla wafers etc....

Directions:
  1. Place the Mascarpone cheese in a mixing bowl, stir it with a spatula, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, dissolve the instant espresso in the heavy cream, and then add the vanilla and sugar.
  3. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the Mascarpone, one third at a time, blending well between each addition.
  4. Transfer dip to a serving bowl, sprinkle with grated chocolate, and serve with assorted biscotti.

I am posting this recipe, as a good karma good luck to myself. I have an interview tomorrow at the company I got this recipe from. I am interviewing for a managment position that I am well qualified for. I am a foodie, and would love to land this job to be back in the food industry. I've had a bunch of interviews/posiibilities really go south lately, and I'm not feeling all that good about it. Anyway enough about me.

Every time I make this, I double the recipe - it's that good. It stays for about a week in the fridge. It is always a hit. And it is decedant, rich and super easy to make. I serve it with pound cake, lady fingers, biscotti and 'nilla wafers.

Tiramisu Dip

Ingredients:
8 oz. Mascarpone
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Place the Mascarpone cheese in a mixing bowl, stir it with a spatula, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, dissolve the instant espresso in the heavy cream, and then add the vanilla and sugar.
  3. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the Mascarpone, one third at a time, blending well between each addition.
  4. Transfer dip to a serving bowl, sprinkle with grated chocolate, and serve with assorted biscotti.

First things, first. Best of luck on the interview! I will send happy thoughts your way all day tomorrow! :goodvibes pixiedust:

Secondly, WOW! Thank you for that recipe! It sounds delicious! I'm afraid I may never get Scott to eat real food ever again if I make this (WHEN I make this, who are we kidding). He loves Tiramasu, so this is going to be a real hit around here.

Tiggr33 -- Fingers and toes all crossed for your interview. :goodvibes

rpmdfw -- you know sumthin?!?! You are just the best guy ever!!! I actually got a little misty-eyed reading your recipe for banana cookies (of course -- it might be the nyquil making me mushy) but REALLY -- you always have a kind word or friendly comment. I sure hope your Scott knows how lucky he is...:goodvibes

Tiggr33 -- Fingers and toes all crossed for your interview. :goodvibes

rpmdfw -- you know sumthin?!?! You are just the best guy ever!!! I actually got a little misty-eyed reading your recipe for banana cookies (of course -- it might be the nyquil making me mushy) but REALLY -- you always have a kind word or friendly comment. I sure hope your Scott knows how lucky he is...:goodvibes

Why thank you. I appreciate your saying so. I do try to be a nice guy. Most of the time, I fail, because I'm a snarky, smart alec, obnoxious, sarcastic beyotch. :lmao: But my intentions are good. Well, usually.

And yes, Scott knows how lucky he is. I remind him ALL the time. :banana:

Though, I have to say, I think I'm luckier than he is. He doesn't agree with me, but that's okay too.

Okay, it's time for bed now. But tomorrow . . . .tomorrow I'm digging out the recipe for Green Chili!

Tiramisu Dip

Ingredients:
8 oz. Mascarpone
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Yummy! :goodvibes
:idea: Keep a big bowl of this stuff by the side of your bed ...
ya know ... for a midnight snack.
Silly.

(Geeesh! :rolleyes: Why do you have to go there.)

Best of luck on the job opportunity.;)

Thanks everyone.

I forgot to put it in the recipe. if you don't have instant espresso, use instant coffee and use a little bit more then the recipe calls for (about a tablespoon instead of 2 tsp)

Okay. Here it is. The recipe for a family favorite! The notes are from my Mom. When we put her recipes into the database, and then printed them out into a family cookbook that we shared with family and friends, she put memories or notes with each recipe. I've been cutting those memories off as I post them here, but decided not to today.

GREEN CHILI

Ingredient
2 lbs Pork, cubed
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Cups Green Chilis, chopped (or more. More is better)
1/2 Tomato, diced
4 Tbsp Flour
3 Cups Water
Salt to taste

Instructions

Heat Crisco in hot skillet. Brown pork; add garlic. Add chilis and tomato, then flour. Mix all together while cooking, scrape bottom of the pan to get all the good stuff off the bottom. Add water and stir well until flour has been dissolved. Salt to taste. Simmer covered. At least an hour, better if it's more.

Notes:
Pour over bean burritos. A dipper full in a plate of pinto beans is heavenly. The ultimate is to make an open faced hamburger, cover it with French fries, then smother with green chili and shredded cheese. Use to make great chili cheese fries, or smother chicken enchiladas with it. The best chiles are those which are freshly roasted, some can be found frozen, or, as a last resort, used canned.

Although this recipe was one of our favorites always, we really began to appreciate it the further from Southern Colorado we moved. People in Texas look askance at me when I mention green chili. It is not an ingredient of Tex Mex. The only way we can get a green chili fix is to go to New Mexico or Colorado, and only in the Trinidad, Raton, Pueblo area will it be exactly like this. Of course, you have to realize this is like Spaghetti Sauce, everyone has their own recipe.

Okay, now my notes: Now that I live in Florida, I either have relatives in New Mexico mail me frozen green chiles when they're in season or order it from http://www.nmcchile.com/. As a last resort, I'll use canned, but only Hatch brand canned chiles. I also don't use crisco to brown the pork any more. I use extra virgin olive oil. It's a better fat and the chili comes out just as good.

Enjoy!

I have an interview tomorrow at the company I got this recipe from. I am interviewing for a managment position that I am well qualified for. I am a foodie, and would love to land this job to be back in the food industry. I've had a bunch of interviews/posiibilities really go south lately, and I'm not feeling all that good about it.

tiggr33, how did the job interview go?

Have you heard anything back yet?

Still sending happy thoughts your way! :goodvibes

tiggr33, how did the job interview go?

Have you heard anything back yet?

Still sending happy thoughts your way! :goodvibes

Thanks for asking.

I was told in the interview, that I made the call back list, and asked if I was interested in the callback. I said yes. The GM I interviewed with said he liked my personality for the job, and really liked some of the experiences I have had in previous jobs, and I'm not the type afraid to get my hands dirty. He was making his final decisons on callbacks on Friday, after he finished the interviews. He wants to make a hiring decision by the 28th. So far so good. I am trying to stay level headed and realistic about it. I don't want to get excited about it. Been down that road and when they don't work out, it stings. I have worked in this industry before, and knew the walk, and the talk. So I am proceeding with cautious optimism.

Thanks for asking.

I was told in the interview, that I made the call back list, and asked if I was interested in the callback. I said yes. The GM I interviewed with said he liked my personality for the job, and really liked some of the experiences I have had in previous jobs, and I'm not the type afraid to get my hands dirty. He was making his final decisons on callbacks on Friday, after he finished the interviews. He wants to make a hiring decision by the 28th. So far so good. I am trying to stay level headed and realistic about it. I don't want to get excited about it. Been down that road and when they don't work out, it stings. I have worked in this industry before, and knew the walk, and the talk. So I am proceeding with cautious optimism.

Cautious optimism is best. But still, this is great news.

I once had someone tell me that making it to the callback typically means you can perform the job, but that they're weighing how well you work within the specific environment or team. I know that doesn't apply to every situation, but since then, I've always taken it as a compliment if I make it that far.

So great job, good luck, and we'll keep sending pixie dust your way!

Update:
I have a call back interview today, with their VP of Operations. After that I am supposed to take a computer literacy test (SOP for this company's non executive candidates). If all goes well today, I will met the Owner next week for the final phase.

I did have a scare earlier this week. When arranging the call-back the first person I interviewed with (The GM), emailed and said I would be meeting with his boss today (the VP above). He mentioned a name, I stopped in my tracks and my heart stopped. :scared1: It was the same name, for those of you that remember, of the homophobic, hate mongering, lack of morals and ethics person I worked for an quit on right before christmas. Any, I called my contact as fast as I could dial. Same name different person....WHEW I did have to explain why I was asking, and he was completly fine with it. He told me he had a few people in the past that he would rather clean urinals at the racetrack then work for again. Luckily I felt I had a really good repoire with him and didn't feel weird about asking questions. I told him up front, I needed to ask him questions before proceeding. I told him I would explain, after I asked about 3 questions. All said and done, it didn't do any damage as I still got the callback.

Update:
I have a call back interview today, with their VP of Operations. After that I am supposed to take a computer literacy test (SOP for this company's non executive candidates). If all goes well today, I will met the Owner next week for the final phase.

I did have a scare earlier this week. When arranging the call-back the first person I interviewed with (The GM), emailed and said I would be meeting with his boss today (the VP above). He mentioned a name, I stopped in my tracks and my heart stopped. :scared1: It was the same name, for those of you that remember, of the homophobic, hate mongering, lack of morals and ethics person I worked for an quit on right before christmas. Any, I called my contact as fast as I could dial. Same name different person....WHEW I did have to explain why I was asking, and he was completly fine with it. He told me he had a few people in the past that he would rather clean urinals at the racetrack then work for again. Luckily I felt I had a really good repoire with him and didn't feel weird about asking questions. I told him up front, I needed to ask him questions before proceeding. I told him I would explain, after I asked about 3 questions. All said and done, it didn't do any damage as I still got the callback.

Sounds like things are proceeding well! I'll keep thinking happy thougts for you!

Good luck! (though it sounds like you don't need any luck!)

Good luck! (though it sounds like you don't need any luck!)

Quite the contrary.....I could use all the luck I can get now. Long long story, with lots of twists and turns....but I NEED something to work out to make me feel complete again.

The interview went well. The short list is down to me and one other. So it's a 50/50 shot as now. I will send off my thank you email in a little while and hope for the best.

Here is some extra pixie dust to go along with that hope! ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The green chili recipe sounds divine! What sort of green chili do you use here in Florida (as I don't know anyone who can mail me some from NM).

Any green chili? Hotter the better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter