What's Cooking - The Recipe Exchange

Okay, we've got some over-ripe bananas that are ready for baking, so I went to find the banana cake recipe in the database, but paused on this one. I think I'll make up a batch tonight! :woohoo:

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups Flour
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Sugar
1 cup, Shortening (soft)
1 cup Banana (mashed) (I usually just do two bananas)
2 cup Oatmeal
2 Eggs

Instructions
Sift together flour, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, soda, and sugar. Set aside while creaming together margarine, sugar, eggs, and bananas. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in oatmeal. Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

These aren't "fancy" or "pretty" cookies by any stretch of the imagination, but they're easy, tasty, and a great comforting snack for a quiet evening at home.

I made this last night and they were yummy! Just note there is an error in the recipe: The sugar does not get mixed in with the flour and such. The whole amount should be creamed with the shortening.

The interview went well. The short list is down to me and one other. So it's a 50/50 shot as now. I will send off my thank you email in a little while and hope for the best.

I'll keep sending happy thoughts your way!

The green chili recipe sounds divine! What sort of green chili do you use here in Florida (as I don't know anyone who can mail me some from NM).

Any green chili? Hotter the better?

The level of hottness is a matter of taste. Personally, my recommendation would be to go to the nmchile website I listed above and buy Hatch brand green chile if you don't want to buy it frozen from them. (they sell it in 5lb portions, and surprisingly, some people find this to be excessive. :rotfl: )

I made this last night and they were yummy! Just note there is an error in the recipe: The sugar does not get mixed in with the flour and such. The whole amount should be creamed with the shortening.

Oops! yeah, you're supposed to cream all of the sugar in. But frankly, it's a foolproof recipe. I've dumped it all together and turned on the mixer and the end result is the same.

Glad you liked them! :thumbsup2

Will do thanks!

Does anyone have an EXCELLENT recipe for pulled pork? I am working with one I have and it's not so great. I'm impatient and want a good one NOW! LOL!

This just seems the weekend to pull the Boston butt out of the freezer and try for delicious pulled pork one more time!

The cookies sound wicked! :thumbsup2

This just seems the weekend to pull the Boston butt out of the freezer and try for delicious pulled pork one more time!

Is it wrong that I'm waiting for WallyB's response to you wanting to pull a Boston butt our of the freezer? :lmao:

Okay, all the discussion over on the Commitment Ceremony thread has my mind on pasta and sauce. I've got a bunch frozen and if we weren't headed back to the Fringe Theatre Festival again today, that's what we'd be eating for dinner. Since, I'm not eating it, I'll share the recipe for my family's spaghetti sauce. This is a very simple tasty no-frills tomato sauce.

Family Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

1 can Tomato Paste
3 cans Water (so a one part tomato paste to three parts water ratio)
1 clove Garlic whole or minced
1/4 cup Onion chopped or minced
Meatballs (or other meat)
Salt & Pepper
Spice Island Spaghetti Sauce Spices

Instructions
Mix tomato paste and water in saucepan. Salt and pepper and Spice Island Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning to taste. In a fry pan fry meatballs or other meat until brown, not necessarily until completely cooked. You may also brown garlic and onion at this time. Careful not to brown them too much. Add the meat and garlic and onion to sauce mixture and simmer for at least 2 hours. If lid is left off the pot, the sauce becomes very thick. Avoid putting any drippings into the sauce after meat is browned to keep fat content lower, or the meat may be browned in the broiler.

Notes:
May be increased according to need. You can use browned ground beef, beef stew meat, pork neck bones, chicken, or sausage as meat if desired.

Now, here's my version of it. I've changed it up a bit to better suit our tastes.

Rob's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

One Package Italian Sausage (use Turkey sausage for lower fat sauce)
One Medium Sized Sweet Onion cut into chunks
One Medium Sized Bell Pepper cut into chunks
Three cloves of garlic, rougly chopped
Two cans fire roasted tomatoes
Two 6oz cans of tomato paste (or more for a bigger pot of sauce)
18 oz of water (or more, keeping the water/paste ratio the same as above)
1 cup good red table wine (I typically use a chianti)
Spice Islands Italian Seasoning Blend (roughly two tablespoons)
Red Pepper Flakes (optional, for a spicier sauce)
1/8 cup sugar (I'm using Splenda lately to make it more diet friendly)
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Instructions
Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom of the sauce pot as it comes up to medium heat. Brown the sausages and remove them from the pot and set aside. Add garlic, onion, and peppers and saute until they're just getting soft. Add the sausages back into the pot. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, wine, and spices and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for at least three hours stirring occasionally making sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. Before serving, pull the sausages out of the sauce with a pair of tongs. Puree the sauce with a stick blender until the vegetables are fully incorporated into a smooth thick sauce. At this point, you can serve over the pasta of your choice or put the sausages back in to simmer. This makes a fairly good sized pot of sauce, so we freeze it into smaller containers and keep them in the freezer for use when we want some.

Oh! Nice recipes! Thanks for sharing them. I don't put peppers in my sauce, and don't do the Sicilian sweet thing :teeth: but the sauces are quite similar.

I like the shorter version too. It must come in handy when a fast sauce is needed.

LOL! I just saw your other comment. OK, so I should have said pork shoulder? LOLOLOL!

Didn't go with it at any rate. We took a drive to Cocoa Beach yesterday and got a variety of wonderful seafood. We'll be having that for our holiday "cookout."

Does anyone have an EXCELLENT recipe for pulled pork? I am working with one I have and it's not so great. I'm impatient and want a good one NOW! LOL!

The cookies sound wicked! :thumbsup2

OK....OK hang onto your butt, or yes you should use shoulder

7 - 8 lbs pork shoulder
3 - 4 cups apple cider (non alcoholic, and not apple juice - just trying to get the ingredients right for you - we call it icing sugar you call it confectioners sugar)
1/2 capfull liquid smoke

Throw all into a crock pot and let it go on low for at least 9 hours. Lift it out, remove rind and bone, pull apart and toss with your favourite BBQ sauce.

OK....OK hang onto your butt, or yes you should use shoulder

7 - 8 lbs pork shoulder
3 - 4 cups apple cider (non alcoholic, and not apple juice - just trying to get the ingredients right for you - we call it icing sugar you call it confectioners sugar)
1/2 capfull liquid smoke

Throw all into a crock pot and let it go on low for at least 9 hours. Lift it out, remove rind and bone, pull apart and toss with your favourite BBQ sauce.

Okay, this alone sounds like reason for me to break down and get a crock pot. :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing!

Oh! Nice recipes! Thanks for sharing them. I don't put peppers in my sauce, and don't do the Sicilian sweet thing :teeth: but the sauces are quite similar.

I like the shorter version too. It must come in handy when a fast sauce is needed.

We never did the sweeter sauces with my family either but over time I've developed a taste for them and Scott likes them too, so that's what I do.

I added the peppers because I thought they'd go well with the sausage. And the wine got added after I saw Alton Brown's episode about tomatoes where he explained that there's something in tomatoes that is alcohol soluable and it helps bring out more of the tomato flavor (that's the non-techincal explanation, of course).

I'll have to write down the recipe for the green chile chicken quiche I made tonight so I can post it here. It's yummy. Only the second time I've made it. It was an experiment last weekend, and it was a huge hit! :banana:

Wow! I'm liking that pork shoulder recipe! I have one of those huge crock pots too. Doesn't get used much, so this would be a good reason to try.

Yep, gotta love Alton. He has a scientific reason for nearly everything, doesn't he. Did you see the episode where he fell off his 'bike and broke his collar bone? Ouch!

Is it wrong that I'm waiting for WallyB's response to you wanting to pull a Boston butt our of the freezer? :lmao:

Instigator!
If I get points - Can I split them with you? ::yes::

Well the job is down to me and one other. We are both "strong candidates", and they are nit picking at this point. I had a follow up phone interview with the GM, was asked a "trick" question which I nailed and hit out of the park. I have a tenative interview with the CEO some time next week, still have to be scheduled to take their computer skills tests, and my references are being contacted.

Well the job is down to me and one other. We are both "strong candidates", and they are nit picking at this point. I had a follow up phone interview with the GM, was asked a "trick" question which I nailed and hit out of the park. I have a tenative interview with the CEO some time next week, still have to be scheduled to take their computer skills tests, and my references are being contacted.

Great news! We'll keep thinking happy thoughts for you! :goodvibes Good luck!

I'm making these tomorrow - just bought em and have to get em marinading!

What's For Dinner? Barbecued Spareribs

May 09, 2008 07:07 PM EDT

This recipe is adapted from Al Roker's big barbecue cookbook.

4-5 lbs spareribs, trimmed
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves, crushed
3 T hot sauce
1 T salt
Rub (recipe follows)
Vinegar Sauce (recipe follows)

In a covered container large enough to hold the ribs, mix vinegar, juice, garlic, bay leaves, hot sauce and salt. Put the ribs in the marinade, turn to coat; cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

Eight or so hours before grilling, remove the ribs and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the ribs generously with 3/4 of the rub, pressing to adhere. Cover and refrigerate about 8 hours.

Remove the ribs from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before grilling.

Preheat grill for indirect medium heat.

Wrap ribs in heavy duty foil, leaving a small opening. Pour a little of the mariande over the top. Grill for about 2-2 1/2 hours or til meat is very tender.

Remove the ribs from the grill, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 of the rub.
inter.jpg

Serve with vinegar sauce.

Rub
6 T packed brown sugar
2 T chili powder
1 T each: adobo, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
2 t cumin
1 t each: cinnamon, pepper
cayenne pepper to taste

Vinegar Sauce
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 T each: salt, hot sauce
2 t pepper
1 t chili powder

Fingers and Toes crossed for you! :goodvibes

Stacey, any word on the job? Are you still at Disney?

Still thinking happy thoughts for you!

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter