What's happening to Aulani??

I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm saying you should be able to understand it. This wasn't a cut, like Aunty's or 'AMA 'AMA. It was just a net-zero change. There is no ulterior motive on Disney's part other than guest satisfaction. They survey like crazy and have come to the conclusion that "pools are too crowded" outweighs "we like having a place to swim without kids."
It’s just how many things can you cut (beachfront restaurant, adult pool, cleanliness of a room between guests etc) and still be considered a luxury experience. Maybe that’s not what they are going for anymore? I know you don’t give a lot of credit to TripAdvisor reviews - but there are many people going there that end up unhappy.

It’s just how many things can you cut (beachfront restaurant, adult pool, cleanliness of a room between guests etc) and still be considered a luxury experience. Maybe that’s not what they are going for anymore? I know you don’t give a lot of credit to TripAdvisor reviews - but there are many people going there that end up unhappy.
Except this particular thing isn't a cut, it's a change.

AMA AMA is closed. The Wailana Pool is not closed. A better analogy would be if AMA AMA was still open but changed from a seafood restaurant to a steakhouse. You might not like the change, but a change is fundamentally different than something going away entirely.

AMA AMA is a cut. Aunty's Beach House is a cut. Daily housekeeping is a cut. Flower lei greetings are a cut. Resort refillable mugs are a cut. Closing the Wailana Pool would be a cut, but that's not what they did.

I'm right there with your broader point. I gave Aulani and Walt Disney World a ton of leeway as they sorted through COVID, but I'm just about out of patience with them continuing to drag their feet in their return to normal. The pandemic was a legitimate reason for a lot of temporary changes, but now it's becoming an excuse. I'm tempted to blame the political environment in Hawaii, but Ron DeSantis and David Ige couldn't be more different in their approach to COVID and I ain't getting daily housekeeping at Animal Kingdom Lodge, either.

^ I get what you are saying, but the way we classify the adult pool closure is semantic — as a practical matter if someone went to use the adult pool today it wouldn’t be available. Aulani certainly has headwinds - but it’s pretty well understood that Disney is looking to cut costs. And that is their decision.

As a DVC person I don’t really care (on a personal level) about housekeeping. I’m going to the Poly over the holiday and will not be expecting the same amenities I expect (and frankly were marketed to me) for Aulani - but I will barely notice because I have access to the best theme parks in the world. Unlike WDW, cuts at Aulani (a beautiful hotel with a very nice location and a great pool complex) are really felt if you plan to be there for more than a couple of days.

It is what it is, I just won’t stay at Aulani next time, and will use my points at other DVC properties. I can even book the Luau and likely be able to book character dining as the guest of another hotel. I just kind of wish I bought at copper creek (lol)

^ I get what you are saying, but the way we classify the adult pool closure is semantic — as a practical matter if someone went to use the adult pool today it wouldn’t be available.
As a practical matter, a family with kids who wanted to swim in the Wailana Pool couldn't, but now they can. That's a gain for those guests.

Auntie's is still closed, so I'm sure that is contributing to them not announcing any changes. It might even wait until after it reopens to see if kids stop using the small pool.

While it was frequently not crowded, I don't think that's a bad things. It's a huge benefit to adults travelling alone, and the neighboring hotels are some tough competition for that travel group.

Hopefully it is a short-term change. Kids are going to want to be in the 'fun' pools and lazy river anyways, so I am not sure this change needs to be permanent or will affect everyone too much anyways.
To be honest, it's become my kids' favorite pool. It's quiet, close to the quick service for snacks, and close to the bar/coffee stand. But I totally empathize with your position. I realize my kids won't be little forever and I too will probably be staying there one day without my kids. But I agree with the Captain's sentiment that this is nothing nefarious on the part of Disney. I think they are following the wishes of the guests based on meticulous feedback that more pool space and chairs are needed for everyone.

I can understand the disappointment. I believe this was done out of the severe shortage of beach chairs. That side of the hotel and pool has been underused in the past. And there are a lot of beach chairs tucked away on that side. Parents of small children probably want to be not so far away from their kids when swimming. I'm thankful that the adults at least still have the infinity hot tub.
The infinity hot tub is invaded by kids about every ten minutes. Six year old kids don't read signs. When this pool was adults only, the chairs were usually near capacity (at least during my seven visits since 2013). I get it that the majority of the users have kids. We bring our entire extended family (30 people) with lots of kids Kid happiness was one of the reasons we bought Aulani. I value Aunty's just as much as value the Adult pool. Adult happiness was also a big reason we bought Aulani. Why can't they do both. Disney is very smart. They can figure this out.

The infinity hot tub is invaded by kids about every ten minutes. Six year old kids don't read signs. When this pool was adults only, the chairs were usually near capacity (at least during my seven visits since 2013). I get it that the majority of the users have kids. We bring our entire extended family (30 people) with lots of kids Kid happiness was one of the reasons we bought Aulani. I value Aunty's just as much as value the Adult pool. Adult happiness was also a big reason we bought Aulani. Why can't they do both. Disney is very smart. They can figure this out.
Totally agree about the kids in the adult hot tub. I made it known the CMs whenever I came across it. What's more unacceptable is when parents knowingly bring their kids into the hot tub. I told a parent one time that kids aren't allowed in here and he just shrugged me off and said "I'll just wait until staff makes me take my kids out."

Ugh. It's so frustrated when people are so entitled and can't follow simple rules. I actually can say that I've never witnessed kids in the adult hot tub, and we usually make ample use of it. I'm happy that I haven't had this experience, b/c I would be especially irritated by it now that it's the only adult oasis available.

Thinking about all this I started to wonder why the Ama Ama has stayed closed. There has not been any Covid regulatory reason for it being closed for some time. In Disney's typical style, they could be in the process of reimagining that area. Maybe another pool complex adjacent to Aunty's designed for the little ones? Possibly give us back the adult pool?

Thinking about all this I started to wonder why the Ama Ama has stayed closed. There has not been any Covid regulatory reason for it being closed for some time. In Disney's typical style, they could be in the process of reimagining that area. Maybe another pool complex adjacent to Aunty's designed for the little ones? Possibly give us back the adult pool?
Problem is Aulani needs a fancier dining establishment. I think they will be hurting long term if they don’t figure out the AMA AMA situation soon. They are losing money by people going elsewhere for dinner.

We were there in June and just tried to be happy they were open. The restaurant situation was disappointing. We were lucky to eat at the four seasons twice as premiere restaurants at the nearby hotels were booked! I figure if they are booking up surely Disney can fill Ama Ama again. We are on our way for a short weekend stay and I see not much has changed.

Also since June I’ve been to Disneyland twice and WDW and housekeeping is still a joke. Each time no one informed us there would be no housekeeping and we had to beg for towels etc. at least at Aulani they were providing extra towels in DVC anyway. But I did not feel sufficiently cleaning in between guests at all.

I feel like Disney should be employing the correct amount of housekeeping staff for the capacity they are booking now.

We were there in June and just tried to be happy they were open. The restaurant situation was disappointing. We were lucky to eat at the four seasons twice as premiere restaurants at the nearby hotels were booked! I figure if they are booking up surely Disney can fill Ama Ama again. We are on our way for a short weekend stay and I see not much has changed.

Also since June I’ve been to Disneyland twice and WDW and housekeeping is still a joke. Each time no one informed us there would be no housekeeping and we had to beg for towels etc. at least at Aulani they were providing extra towels in DVC anyway. But I did not feel sufficiently cleaning in between guests at all.

I feel like Disney should be employing the correct amount of housekeeping staff for the capacity they are booking now.
Agree with Aulani dining. The Makahiki character breakfast is a sad remnant of what it used to be. The buffet and character interaction was so amazing prior to covid. As for housekeeping, Disney has been aggressively trying to hire more people but not sure what more they could do if people simply don’t want to work anymore. Staffing is an issue for pretty much every hotel and restaurant here in Hawaii. I’ve never seen so many help wanted signs in my whole life.

I noticed last night that all of the natural gas torches have been turned off. Another cost cutting effort I guess. Given the high levels of occupancy now, it's time to fully open the resort features.
I would guess a maintenance issue. That would be a wild cut to save money when the rate per night is so high.

Agree with everyone about dining. I booked Roy's for New Years Eve. The 4 Seasons is guests only dining from 12/19 to 1/3, which means no Mina's fish house for us! Luckily I knew this wold be an issue and I grabbed reservations elsewhere such as The Pig and the Lady every night. We don't mind the drive but yes dining was a weak spot pre-covid and its obviously exacerbated by covid.

I would guess a maintenance issue. That would be a wild cut to save money when the rate per night is so high.

Agree with everyone about dining. I booked Roy's for New Years Eve. The 4 Seasons is guests only dining from 12/19 to 1/3, which means no Mina's fish house for us! Luckily I knew this wold be an issue and I grabbed reservations elsewhere such as The Pig and the Lady every night. We don't mind the drive but yes dining was a weak spot pre-covid and its obviously exacerbated by covid.
Considering the dining situation makes the question to why the grills are not open even greater.

I would think part of the problem is like everywhere else.
Nobody wants to work. Many jobs go infilled I domt get it

Considering the dining situation makes the question to why the grills are not open even greater.
I wondered that too! Maybe they want people to spend more in the restaurants and are trying to discourage people from cooking their own meals

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter